PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Discovery!!

ancom41
09-06-2006, 02:51 PM
After I got back from the gym yesterday, I was trying to teach my 6 month old bull terrier puppy to roll over. I must have gone through about 10 milkbones in the process. That got me thinking.. I wonder whats in these things. To my suprise... Milkbone brand dog biscuits (original, no flavoring) are a crazy source of just about everything!

cal: 115
fat: 2g
carbs: 22g
protein: 5g

These things are about 1/2th the size of a granola bar but with double the calories and protein. Of course.. After finding this out.. I had to taste them (which drove my puppy insane). Suprisingly enough, they dont taste bad at all.. and I am seriously thinking about throwing a couple of these in a zip lock bag and eating them during the day. Even if I only ate one, it would be better than one granola bar.. and for a fraction of the price.. I can buy like 50 of these things for 2 bucks, where as i can only get 6 granola bars for the same price.

djreef
09-06-2006, 03:19 PM
I used to eat dog food all the time when I was a kid. I wonder what the quality of the macro profile is. Prob not very good I'd imagine

DJ

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
What is wrong with you people?

malkore
09-06-2006, 03:36 PM

not sure.

but if they knew what was used in dog food and dog biscuits, they'd think twice.

essentially, at the end of the day, they take a shovel to the meat packing plant's floor, scoop up 'whatever' is there, and grind it into crude protein.

it might be cow, pig, or horse meat/entrails/hooves.

do you STILL wanna eat them regularly?

Slim Schaedle
09-06-2006, 03:52 PM
not sure.

but if they knew what was used in dog food and dog biscuits, they'd think twice.

essentially, at the end of the day, they take a shovel to the meat packing plant's floor, scoop up 'whatever' is there, and grind it into crude protein.

it might be cow, pig, or horse meat/entrails/hooves.

do you STILL wanna eat them regularly?
Just curious if you know that as fact (?)

Doesn't seem too much different than a hot dog then.

Built
09-06-2006, 03:54 PM

Doesn't seem too much different than a hot dog then.

Mmmmm... lips and *******s ...

Slim Schaedle
09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
They're curious (?)

I have a buddy who is a vet's assistant and he eats a little dog food everyday. He's also single digit bodyfat and barbell rows over 315 naturally, but that is besides the point.

Spartan936
09-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Maybe they want radiant, healthy winter coats.

Beast
09-06-2006, 04:33 PM

Yeah, the sanitation rules are incredibly lenient with animal food. I'm sure with every bite, you're ingesting large amounts of larval eggs and fungi.

ancom41
09-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Hahah.

Well if you do the math.. I can get a granola bar for a little under .50 cents, where as I can get a "food" with double the nutritional value per serving for about .05 cents. I'll eat "lips and *******s ..." for that price!

ancom41
09-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah, the sanitation rules are incredibly lenient with animal food. I'm sure with every bite, you're ingesting large amounts of larval eggs and fungi.

To be honest, I dont think there is a meat product contained in the original milkbones (I could be wrong, probably has something like chicken broth) But It also lists something like "Moisture %" (something like that) So i dont know if the dryness of the food would have any effect on anything like "larvel eggs"

TopCat
09-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Doubt it, I thought spores and eggs are made to survive through rough conditions.

f=ma
09-06-2006, 08:55 PM
ive tried iams dog biscuits and butler chicken treats

the iams wasnt very good.. very dry and cardboardy. the chicken treat really wasnt bad relatively speaking

Ricky Bobby
09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
You guys should try the wet dog food if you like the milkbones.Personally I think you should take a bag of milkbones to the gym and munch on them in between sets. That would be awesome.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-06-2006, 09:16 PM

Doesn't seem too much different than a hot dog then.I'd rather eat dog biscuits than hot dogs. The preservatives in them turn toxic in your liver. :thumbup: Plus what they're made of is nasty. Most processed meats are. I hate reading things like "Mechanically Separated Chicken"... *shrugs*

bill
09-07-2006, 09:20 AM
At Large nutrition where are you? LOL

galileo
09-07-2006, 09:40 AM
They're curious (?)

I have a buddy who is a vet's assistant and he eats a little dog food everyday. He's also single digit bodyfat and barbell rows over 315 naturally, but that is besides the point.

You're right, that's very beside the point, but it totally added to your post. Maybe a "little dog food everyday" will help everyone achieve their barbell rowing goals a little faster.

Pet food is not governed with anywhere near the restrictions of food made for human consumption. I have a good feeling that's why your pet will often get diarrhea when the brand of food is switched.

Slim Schaedle
09-07-2006, 02:03 PM
You're right, that's very beside the point, but it totally added to your post. Maybe a "little dog food everyday" will help everyone achieve their barbell rowing goals a little faster.

Pet food is not governed with anywhere near the restrictions of food made for human consumption. I have a good feeling that's why your pet will often get diarrhea when the brand of food is switched.
For anyone out there that thought I was drawing connections between my friend's doggy diet and his gym performance, I was just throwing out some "gee-wiz" information.

:)

DaoineSidhe
09-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Oh please. Everyone knows cat food is where the real nutrition is.

arya202
09-07-2006, 05:51 PM
this goes right up there with that thread about mixing gatorade power with eggs.

growthrep
09-08-2006, 06:53 AM
I started blending crill (pet fish food) in with my protein shakes. Great flavor and interesting texture. You guys oughta try it.

SpecialK
09-08-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't see how that's a good food to begin with. It only has 5g of protein for 22g of carbs. I've seen snack crackers with more favorable ratios of protein to carbs.

djreef
09-11-2006, 11:48 AM
I started blending crill (pet fish food) in with my protein shakes. Great flavor and interesting texture. You guys oughta try it.

You mean Krill? The smell of that stuff made me want to hurl. Sandpaper Sally came to mind.

DJ

growthrep
09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah Krill. That's it. Throw a couple handfulls in with your milk and protein powder. Good stuff.

MantiXX
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
People, PLEASE dont eat dog/cat food....

Most of the Canadian pet food comes from one VERY large plant up in Quebec, that 'renders' old animals into pet food...

***WARNING - VERY GROSS DETAILS COMING UP***

They use ANY animal (large cancerous growth means it cant be eaten by humans, no problem throw it in), DEAD ROADKILL (TRUE), even unscrupulous vets/humane society people who put animals to sleep. THOSE BODIES are used. Some dude with an old pickup would pick up the 'bodies' that had been put to sleep, then would take them to the rendering plant. He made money at 'both' ends of the deal... Think about the drugs used to kill them..... Theres even more, but I think you get the idea...:windup:

You DO NOT want to eat pet food... Personally, I only buy my dogs a 'natural' feed that contains lamb, brown rice, some vitamins and essential oils... Amazingly its only 10-15% over the other 'crap's price....

Anyways, research it if you dont believe me.. News reporters have infiltrated this place numerous times, but no one cares... It is only pet food after all....

Peace out...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah Krill. That's it. Throw a couple handfulls in with your milk and protein powder. Good stuff.No. Just no.

ancom41
09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
You just gotta go and spoil everyone's fun.

f=ma
09-11-2006, 05:35 PM
They use ANY animal (large cancerous growth means it cant be eaten by humans, no problem throw it in), DEAD ROADKILL (TRUE), even unscrupulous vets/humane society people who put animals to sleep. THOSE BODIES are used. Some dude with an old pickup would pick up the 'bodies' that had been put to sleep, then would take them to the rendering plant. He made money at 'both' ends of the deal... Think about the drugs used to kill them..... Theres even more, but I think you get the idea...:windup:

You DO NOT want to eat pet food... Personally, I only buy my dogs a 'natural' feed that contains lamb, brown rice, some vitamins and essential oils... Amazingly its only 10-15% over the other 'crap's price....

Anyways, research it if you dont believe me.. News reporters have infiltrated this place numerous times, but no one cares... It is only pet food after all....

Peace out...

dude stop youre making me hungry

Invain
09-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Mmmmmmm... cancerous growth....

big ol' boy
09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
I feed my dogs this chicken jerky that I get at wal-mart. It's actually pretty damn good and I eat it all the time.

tomv
09-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Speakin of jerky... i found a beef jerky bar at work that's 50g protein... per 100g

that's a pretty crazy good snack (to try and dodge eating a candy bar =P)

/end threadjack

gains2385
09-13-2006, 12:28 AM
Speakin of jerky... i found a beef jerky bar at work that's 50g protein... per 100g

that's a pretty crazy good snack (to try and dodge eating a candy bar =P)

/end threadjack
What kind of bar was it? That is quite a bit, isn't it?

ancom41
09-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Mmmmmmm... cancerous growth....
as arnold would say in kindergarden cop... "ITS NOT A TUMOR!!!"