PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to Supremacy!

Pages : [1] 2

deeder
09-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Hey everyone! I'm back!!!!

I started school again on the 5th and have been pretty busy since I got back into town. For those of you who don't know I was working out of province for the summer to pay for school.

Before I left I set up meal plans and had made it my goal to hit 200lbs by the end of the summer (or end of September at the very latest). Well, it didn't go so hot. The first month and a half of my summer went AWESOME! I was training hard and eating HUGE! I was up to 187lbs at my peak!

I thought for sure I'd hit 200! Just my luck though, I got put on two jobs where I was staying in Bumfuc|<, Nowhere and had no access to a gym. Pushups, situps, pullups at the playgrounds, etc. I did them almost everyday. But I quickly started putting on lots of fat because I was still eating 3500cals a day.

I'm now 180lbs. Really no big change from the begginning of the summer. Kind of sucks but whatever, I have my whole life ahead of me :thumbup:

I'm doing my first ever powerlifting competition on October 14th. I'll be training like a freaking madman until then. I'm pretty sure I'm going to come in last place though :p I'm hoping for: Bench - 230lbs, Squat - 250lbs, Deadlift - 400lbs. These might even be a little high. We'll see how the next 4 weeks go though. I'm pretty sure I don't have to set a number until I weigh in. I'll have to check though.

I'm doing a modified version of Korte's 3x3 to get ready for the comp. Basically it's Squat, Bench and Dead Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The program doesn't call for it but I'm adding an upper back/shoulder day on Saturday.

Well here's my workouts so far this week:

Monday
Squat 5x5 160lbs

Bench 8x6 145lbs

Dead 6x5 200lbs

Wednesday
Box Sq 8x5 140

CGB 6x6 145

Dead 7x5 232

The weights seemed a little light but I'm going to trust the calculator :study: The volume decreases and the weights go up as the program moves along though so I'm not too worried. I've never squatted and deadlifted on the same day. It's HARD!!!!!!

Well I think that's it for now folks! Just remember, Never insult a popcorn vendor then ask for extra butter...

Sidior
09-07-2006, 01:13 PM
:spam:

ahahaha first post! Gl with your goals bro.

ddegroff
09-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Should be an ineresting journal forsure. Darn work always gets in the way. GL w/ your comp in Oct.!

Bob
09-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Good luck with the new journal Deeder...
And good first couple of workouts.. your strength should come back fairly quickly.. Looks like you should be able to hit your numbers for your 1st PL comp. Have fun..

Keep lifting heavy, Eating right and resting enough..

deeder
09-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Sidior - Good reflexes bro! :p

ddegroff - Yeah... Good thing I'm a student for 3/4 of the year! Hehe

bearwolf - Those were just the first couple of workouts on this program. I was in Silvan Lake, Alberta for about the last month of summer and I was able to workout there! Like I said those weights seemed pretty light but I'm gonna trust the program calculator!!

deeder
09-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Friday September 8

Squat - 5 x 5 160lbs
Bench (emphasized pause) - 5 x 6 145lbs
Dead - 8 x 5 235lbs

This was a pretty decent workout. It's alot harder than I thought it would be squatting, benching and deadlifting three days a week! I biked to school today and I've gotta say that the ride home after my workout was probably the hardest 15 minute bike ride of my life! :)

deeder
09-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Monday September 11

Squat 7 x 5 - 170lbs
Bench 7 x 6 - 155lbs
Dead 5 x 5 - 216lbs

EASY! Heheh! Lets get to the heavy ****! Woot!

Sidior
09-11-2006, 09:01 PM
nice weight increases bro

deeder
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
nice weight increases bro

It's just what the program calls for... It's still pretty darn light I think.. Next week is gonna be fun though!

Sidior
09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
How are you going to handle it when you start reaching failure?

deeder
09-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Well I'm hoping I won't... I'll only be going to about 90% of a max before the competition. It's about a month away so I'm pretty sure my body can handle it for that short of time.

Sidior
09-12-2006, 11:28 AM
oh ok cool, ya that would be sweet hitting max weights right as you go into your competiton

deeder
09-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah it would. Hopefully it all works out that way! This is my first comp so I'm kind of in the dark as far as what kind of preparation is needed.

HeavyBomber
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Man, I doubt you'll be coming in last but it ain't about that anyway. It's been my experience that everybody routs for you and am very supportive regardless what you're lifting. It's fun.
Plus you'll be entering as a novice. My guess is you'll get a first place. Is the meet all three lifts?

deeder
09-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Man, I doubt you'll be coming in last but it ain't about that anyway. It's been my experience that everybody routs for you and am very supportive regardless what you're lifting. It's fun.
Plus you'll be entering as a novice. My guess is you'll get a first place. Is the meet all three lifts?

I'm not too concerned what place I come in. Just from the results I've seen on the Sask. Powerlifting Website from other competitions it looks like I'll be lifting alot less than everyone else. Oh, and yeah it's all three lifts :D

ddegroff
09-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Nice work!

I would be surprised if you got last, keep workin' hard!

deeder
09-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks ddegroff! I don't know why people seem to think I am going to do so well... My numbers pretty much suck :p

deeder
09-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Wednesday September 13
Box Squat 6 x 6 - 150lbs *I thought it was 6x6 then I realized after my 3rd set it was only supposed to be 5 reps... Oh well!
CGB 5 x 6 - 155lbs
Dead 7 x 5 - 250lbs *These are HARD to do after squatting the same day! :p

ddegroff
09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Lookin' good, deads after squat are tough. Do you have a link to the program your doing? I'm very interested...

It's positive reinforcement, we tell you you'll do good, you believe you'll do good and you do!

deeder
09-14-2006, 03:59 PM
It's a modified version of Korte's 3x3 (http://www.saskpowerlifting.ca/training/Korte3x3.xls). You're supposed to use chains with it but I don't have any nor have I ever used any so I'm just doing bench, cgb, squat, box squat and deads

Sidior
09-14-2006, 04:17 PM
deeder is korte's 3x3 designed for a specific type of lifter (beginner, intermindiate, advanced) or does it work for pretty much anyone? It looks to be really volume heavy for an advanced lifter.

ddegroff
09-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks Bro! It does look heavy on the volume.

deeder
09-14-2006, 10:04 PM
deeder is korte's 3x3 designed for a specific type of lifter (beginner, intermindiate, advanced) or does it work for pretty much anyone? It looks to be really volume heavy for an advanced lifter.

I'm not really sure. I was pointed to it by a guy who I trained with a few times to get a feel for the powerlifting style training. I would assume it could be used by advanced lifters as well as begginers. The high volume stuff is really light. It's all based on your current 1rep maxes.

deeder
09-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Friday September 15

Squat 5 x 5 - 170lbs
Bench 5 x 6 - 155lbs
Dead 7 x 5 - 250lbs

By the way... If there's any confusion... When I say 5 x 6 I mean 5 sets of 6 reps... This applies to everything...

DumbellDude
09-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Dude - I did not realized you're back!!!!!!!!

EDIT: read your past lifts. Going great. Will have a look at the 3x3 workout later. You're looking good. Good luck with everything untill the meet. And I agree with you, deads after squats are damn hard!

Con
09-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Hey deeder, its been a while, was wondering what happened to you. You were a big help with my first journal, too bad i ****ed that up :p

Anyway gl with competition and being busy sucks. Goin through **** like that now, and its tough, keep strong, we here at WBB got ur back!

deeder
09-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Monday September 18, 2006

Squat 8 x 5 -- 180lbs

Bench 7 x 6 -- 160lbs ** I think I did something funny because right below my right pec was hurting after about the third set. I still finished them and there was no pain while lifting so I'm not overly worried about it.. I'll be keeping a close eye on it if I feel it again though...

Dead 5 x 5 -- 225lbs ** Ahhhh... Some nice easy deads after all those squats! :p

On a side note! My little bro had his second workout today! The first one we went to the gym on Saturday and just did a few pullups, rows, etc... Today he learnt to squat! :)

He caught on to the form really well! He's not the most flexible though so we'll have to work on that. It's really wierd for me to be in the gym giving directions to someone about how to lift, how long to rest, and even how much to lift.

And now, a nice long rant:

This week is going to be a freaking gongshow. I am the league coordinator this year for Regina High School Waterpolo. We're implementing a whole bunch of changes from how it's been run in previous years (the program has been struggling... ALOT) The board of directors doesn't quite agree with my vision of the program and it's proving quite difficult to change their minds. It's really frustrating. They hired me after a couple of meetings we held in the spring about how to bring the league back to life. I was under the impression that I was being hired because I had lots of good ideas but now it seems more like I was hired because they thought I'd make a good puppet.

We're having a meeting on wednesday to finalize the format for the league. If they insist on doing it their way then I'll be stepping down because I refuse to run a program that I think will be a complete disaster! It will make me look bad and the board can pass the buck as they have in the past.

Urgh... Anyway.. I think that's all I needed to rant about for now... I'm sure I'll be putting something about the meeting on wednesday.

Stumprrp
09-18-2006, 08:17 PM
nice workout bro and good luck training your brother!

ddegroff
09-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Thats so cool that you got your bro into working out!

Don't take their BS, do what you think is right!

Con
09-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Gl with the meetin, man, hopin for the best,

Good to hear bout ur bro, and when u start talkin to other people about BBing its always surprising how much we've leanred.

deeder
09-19-2006, 07:07 PM
Well after what turned out to be quite a fiasco I finally got the lifting belt I ordered from Inzer! I got some chalk to while I was at it so it'll be cool to give that a shot too!

ddegroff
09-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Nice chalk is always fun, too bad my dumb gym doesn't allow it :(.

Coke
09-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Good deal man, from what I'm hearing, the Inzer belts are the best.

deeder
09-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Wow... Yesterday was a LONG day!

I had a lab at 8:30am and I've been biking to school so I was up at 7. Left the house at about 7:45. On my way to school somewhere my cell phone fell off my belt (it was in it's little case thingy). Needless to say I was more than a little ticked about that.. I think it's gone for good... It's turned off and I know the battery wouldn't even be dead now so someone has it or it got run over by a car or something :(

So anyway, I had class until 3:20... Went and worked out with my little bro and Ruffian. I had to coach at 6:30 and the practice was at the university pool which was good. The practice was from 6:30-7:30 then I had to rush to a meeting with the Regina waterpolo board of directors.

The meeting was at 8 and was supposed to only take an hour. Well, as I mentionned the other day I've been disagreeing with them on how the high school program should be run. They were soooooooo stubborn but we FINALLY managed to come to a bit of a compromise. I'm fairly happy now with what we'll be doing.

So I hop on my bike and leave the meeting... It was about 10:20 when I got home. To my surprise there's a guy sleeping under the tree in my front yard! I put my bike inside and went out to get him out of there. He was sooooo drunk he could barely talk! Me and my mom sent him on his way but thinking back now we should have called the police. Not to get him in trouble or anything, just to get him someplace safe to sleep.

And here's what you've all been waiting for!!! My workout!!!!

Box Squats 5 x 5 -- 155lbs
CGB 5 x 6 -- 160lbs
Deadlift 5 x 5 -- 260lbs

My little bro cracks me up because he's sooooo damn impressed with the weights I am using. It's awesome to have a fan! He did his first bench press yesterday and did pretty good. His first set he got under the bar (just the bar) and held his breath pretty much the entire set. He turned soooooo red and looked like he was going to fall over when he got up. He learnt his lesson pretty quick :p

On another note, I tried out my new belt for the deadlifts and used the chalk too. The belt, well it was a belt. I've used others before so it wasn't anything new or special really. I really like how it's really flexible. I've used some belts before that were ridiculously stiff. This one is definately strong but it's just not very stiff. I don't know why I've never used chalk before! I don't struggle holding 260lbs anyway but there was no slippage whatsoever with the chalk. I'm really excited to do some heavy lifts next week to test how much it helps my grip.

Edit:
One more thing that I've been meaning to put up here... I've only been on this program for about 3 weeks but I'm noticing HUGE gains in my legs! I'm LOVING it! I guess high frequency is the way to go for me! Also DOMS is a thing of the past!

Con
09-22-2006, 06:22 AM
good to hear gains are coming. Keep it up man, its nice to see you can have a busy schedule but still get to the gym.

ddegroff
09-22-2006, 10:38 AM
I hope you have insurance on that phone. Total bummer, I've been there many times.

Nice workout, family fans are always the best!

Glad to see those stubborn board members are listenin to ya now!

deeder
09-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Sadly there was no real drama today. But I did have a great workout!

Squat 5 x 5 -- 180lbs
Bench 5 x 6 -- 160lbs
Dead 7 x 5 -- 260lbs * These were flying up! Sooo easy! I can't wait for monday's workout! I finally get to do some real heavy lifting!

Stumprrp
09-22-2006, 10:26 PM
nice job guy very nice deadlifts

ddegroff
09-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Nice work!

(awaiting today's workout....)

deeder
09-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Sorry I didn't post up my workout from yesterday. I was pretty busy trying to finish up my Computer Science assignment

I'm just going off of memory, I don't have my book with me so I might have to change some things later.

Box Squat 3 x 3 -- 165lbs
Bench 5 x 4 -- 150lbs
Deadlift 2 x 2 -- 325lbs

I was supposed to do singles with 320lbs but when I was loading on the weight I was too lazy to take some off and put different ones on just so I could get 320. Also once I got to lifting I decided to go for doubles... They were pretty easy.. I went with a double overhand grip and my grip held solid for the first one of each set but struggled a bit on the second one.. (No bounce, resetting completely between reps)

Tomorrow I get to bench heavy! Hopefully one of the many gym partners I have right now shows up!

My little bro didn't come Friday or Monday... He had something after school on Friday and for some reason got confused about yesterday and thought I wasn't working out. He'll be coming on wednesday though. I think he was pretty sore and kind of used friday as an excuse to get out of working out. Oh well, he'll get used to it and learn to love it like the rest of us!

ddegroff
09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Nice work, looking foreward to some big numbers tomorrow!

Glad to see your bro is sticking with lifting!

Con
09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Not sure if learn to "love it is" the right phrase. More like "freakin addicted to it!" :D

Good stuff deed, keep it up.

Sidior
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
solid past few sessions, sucks about the phone

deeder
09-26-2006, 08:37 PM
ddegroff - thanks for the support as always!

Con - That's right buddy! Addicted to teh pAiN! :p

Sidior - Thanks man. I got a new phone yesterday but I didn't have any insurance on it or anything... It's cool to get a new phone but I definately don't have the money to be spending it on **** like that!

deeder
09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Today was a pretty decent workout. There was a black guy there wearing his doo-rag while he was lifting... I thought it was pretty funny but to each his own I guess...

Squat 3 x 3 - 165lbs
Bench 2 x 2 - 200lbs
Dead 3 x 3 - 245lbs

ddegroff
09-28-2006, 11:21 AM
looking heavy, nice work!

the doo-rag keeps the sweat out of his eyes while curling :thumbup:

deeder
09-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I measured my legs in response to a question after I posted those pics so I figured I'd spend a bit of time and post up some measurements!

Quad - 23 inches
Bicep - 15 inches
Waist - 34 inches (Ugh I am soooo bloated :()
Chest - Approx. 45 inches (It's kind of hard to do on your own)
Forearm - 13.5 inches right below elbow 11.5 midway between elbow and wrist
Neck - 17 inches
Calf - 15.5 inches

All of these were flexed except waist... Is that usually how people do them or would a relaxed measurement be more accurate?

While I was at it I got out the bodyfat calipers... With a 3 site test I came out to 11%.. I'm thinking it's a little higher than that. I've still got the outline of my top 4 abs though so who knows.

That puts me at about 157lbs lbm.

ddegroff
09-29-2006, 11:24 AM
I do em' flexed and relaxed.

Just do them the same each time.

deeder
09-29-2006, 11:47 AM
For those of you who followed my last journal here's an update on the whole getting the **** kicked outta me by bouncers ordeal:

I met with my lawyer today. The crown prosecutor isn't willing to make any deals. My lawyer's advice is to plead guilty to all the charges (common assault, assault causing bodily harm, and assault a peace officer). Basically his reasoning is that I'm going to be ****ing useless when I get on the stand. I was too drunk that night to remember everything and they're gonna use that to tear apart my story.

So, we're going to court on the 3rd. I'll plead guilty to the charges. I think then they set another date for sentencing (not sure on this one). At the sentencing my lawyer said we'll basically spend a half day showing the court what a great guy I am -- all my involvement with waterpolo (playing, coaching and now running a league), my schooling, dedication to stuff like weightlifting, the fact that I can hold on to a relationship for 2 1/2 years (showing I'm not some social moron who just likes to fight :p).

So right now it sounds like what I'll be facing is 18 months probation, possibly AA meetings and anger management and maybe some community service. They aren't asking for any kind of jail time though which is definately a bonus :p (Phew! A clean record can come in handy!)

Hmmm.. now that I think about it I could spend my entire day everyday working out! I'd come out of jail freaking massive! :p LOCK ME UP BABY! :strong: :strong: :strong: :strong: :strong: Just kidding!

ddegroff
09-29-2006, 12:18 PM
LOL, be careful what you wish for!

i hope everything goes well!

Con
09-29-2006, 03:59 PM
LOL!!!!!

Way to take the possibility of jail time, a very bad thing(for you and ur *******) and think about it positively.

Anyway gl with the meetins and such, sounds like you got a decent defense set up, so just dont go stealin Protein powder or anything and you should be fine :D.

deeder
09-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Friday's workout went really really well! Here it is:

Squat 2 x 2 -- 220lbs --> These were pretty darn easy. I'm gonna shoot for 240-250 next week then hopefully 260-275 for the comp on the 14th.

CGB 5 x 4 -- 150lbs
Dead 3 x 3 -- 240lbs

I was thinking that my last workout will be on Monday the 9th of October. I'll do a really light day. Then I'll just rest and eat until the competition on the 14th. Sound like a good idea?

deeder
09-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I went and worked out today with my little bro... It's not called for in my routine but there's no back/shoulder work so I figured what the hell:

DB Rows:
15 x 35lbs
12 x 50lbs
8 x 75lbs
(8 x 80lbs) x 2

Neutral Grip Pullups:
(5 x BW + 25lbs) x 5 --> I'm weighing about 177lbs right now so 202lb pullups :p

Push Press:
15 x bar
(8 x 115lbs) x 3 --> I found these VERY tough! Using alot of leg drive to get it up but going VERY slow on the way back down.

AB cable pull downs:
150lbs x 10
(235lbs x 5) x 5

deeder
10-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Today was a great day! I had an AWESOME workout then went to the Black Eye Peas concert!

Here's what I did:

Box Squat 3 x 3 -- 165lbs
Bench 5 x 4 -- 150lbs
Deadlift 1 x 405lbs!!!!!! -- I've never pulled over 360 without using straps and my previous personal best was 380lbs (with straps). My grip was ROCK SOLID! I was only supposed to go to 380lbs today but when I hit that it felt soooooo good so I kept going, 385, 395... **** IT! GO FOR 4 PPS! Heheh! I'm so psyched about that!

ddegroff
10-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Nice last couple workouts!

How was the concert?

Sidior
10-03-2006, 12:05 AM
4pps dead!!!! Fcuking right, way to hit it bro!

deeder
10-03-2006, 12:06 AM
The concert was really good. Rhianna (sp?) was supposed to be performing too but she was sick with the flu apparently. :(

Swollen Members opened and they were really good! It was funny though because there were only 3 people on this huge stage and it looked soooo empty.

After the concert we rushed to Dairy Queen and my buddy got us some free food :p Yuuummmm.... Dirty Bulk!

I've got to be careful in the next 2 weeks though.. I was 180lbs today and I don't want to be in the next weight class up for my comp. The limit is 182.5 I think.

Sidior -- Thanks bro! On my way to 5!!!

crazyskater52
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Whoa, nice job on the 405 lbs, dammmn, good job man!

deeder
10-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks crazyskater! It's 2.25x my bodyweight! :clap: I'm still beaming about having broken the 400lb mark!

Stumprrp
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
4pps is sick at your weight dude! awesome!!! and dirty bulk for the win!! :D

ddegroff
10-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Wow I missed that yesterday, killer deads!

Swollen is one of my favorite groups, gonna see them twice next weekend!

kmrobins
10-03-2006, 10:29 PM
405lbs god damn, you could lift three of me with ease.

I dunno how you do it, I just did squats today, and there's no way in hell you could get me to do deadlifts afterwards.

Good luck with the comp.

kmrobins
10-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Oh, what's 4pps anyway?

Ruffian
10-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks crazyskater! It's 2.25x my bodyweight! :clap: I'm still beaming about having broken the 400lb mark!

ITs true..... He is STILL smiling about it.

deeder
10-04-2006, 10:56 AM
kmrobins - Thanks bro! The deads aren't that bad now.. It was killer the first few workouts on this program.

pps = Plates Per Side, generally referring to 45lb plates.

ddegroff
10-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Man I wish I could get my girl to sign up here, then she would listen to me more often!

(assuming of course Ruffian is your girl)

Ruffian
10-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Man I wish I could get my girl to sign up here, then she would listen to me more often!

(assuming of course Ruffian is your girl)

Yes..... yes I am his girl... I hate that terminology though. Its like calling me his woman *shakes head*. I am his girlfriend... That is the best way to put it!

Show her pix of built.... that did it for me ;)

ddegroff
10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Show her pix of built.... that did it for me

I have she has bought in for sure, just lacking some dedication.

Sorry, from now on I will use gf (girl friend).

deeder
10-04-2006, 10:29 PM
I have she has bought in for sure, just lacking some dedication.

Sorry, from now on I will use gf (girl friend).

Lol! Naw, she's my woman :p :thumbup:

*cowers*

Anyway, here's what I managed today:

Squat 3 x 3 -- 165lbs

Bench 1 x 235lbs
1 x 240lbs - failed -- I was really hoping to hit 240lbs today.. I actually thought I'd be able to squeeze out more than that. Oh well, I'll try it again at the meet.

Deadlift 3 x 3 -- 245lbs

I've sort of gotten to know a guy that I see at the gym all the time and when I got to the gym today he was in the changeroom and said he needed a partner for some explosive leg work stuff that he was doing after his lifting.

Anyway, after my weights I spent about a half hour with him and a 7kg medicine ball. We were doing squat jump push passes about 5 meters apart then standing sideways to eachother squatting down then twisting as you come up and throwing the ball, then squat jump and a double underhand throw as high as we could then stepping forward on alternating legs and throwing the ball from above your head with both hands.

It was an intense workout and I can already tell a great core workout. We did that circuit 3 times doing about 1-2 minutes of each exercise. I was drenched with sweat by the time we were done.

ddegroff
10-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Haha, alright.

Nice workout! I bet you'll be feelin' that extra work tomorrow!

DumbellDude
10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Nice lifting D! What kind of meet and when?
Best of luck with the court stuff my friend - your story it totally messed up.

deeder
10-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Nice lifting D! What kind of meet and when?
Best of luck with the court stuff my friend - your story it totally messed up.

Powerlifting competition oct. 14.

The court stuff turned out about as good as it could have... I'm getting a conditional discharge so no record in the end.. It wasn't worth it to fight the charges because I don't remember the whole night so I'd be **** on the stand.

deeder
10-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Today was another PR and expectation crushing day!

Squat 1 x 325lbs -- I was hoping to get about 260-270 and when I did I felt so good and just kept going! I never thought I'd get 325lbs! My pants ripped a bit with 310 though :( I had my little bro watching to make sure my hip broke the plane of my knee so I know I should be good for atleast that much for the competition.

1/4 Squat - Did these just for ****s and giggles after maxing -- 8 x 325lbs

CGB 5 x 4 -- 150lbs
Deadlift 3 x 3 -- 240lbs

I'm amazing myself lately! 405 dead and 325 squat! This is the first time I've done high frequency training and boy oh boy is it ever working!!!

On another note, I weighed 184lbs today! Normally it'd be good that I'm still increasing but I need to be under 181.5lbs for my weight class. I'm gonna drop the cals by 500 or so until the comp and I might end up having to drop some more just to be sure I'll be under 181.5. Any advice on making sure I hit it without loosing to much weight?

ddegroff
10-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Congrats on the PR!

This workout looks pretty killer.

Depending on how much time you have from weigh in till the comp you could depelete your glyco stores, that would drop those 3lbs.

deeder
10-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Congrats on the PR!

This workout looks pretty killer.

Depending on how much time you have from weigh in till the comp you could depelete your glyco stores, that would drop those 3lbs.

Thanks!

How would I go about depleting glycogen stores? Just stay away from carbs the day before? I have 2 hours from weigh-in till the start of lifting.

ddegroff
10-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Usually you would do it a couple days before by doing full body workout, 6s 15reps.

But you would need atleast 24hrs to get back to full storage so to speak.

What you could do is eat low carbs the day before and then carb up right after weigh in's.

deeder
10-09-2006, 04:08 PM
ddegroff -- I spoke to the guy running the comp. and he said I could come by his place on Friday night to weigh myself on the competition scale to see how close I am. I've dropped about 600cals/day and hopefully that and the morning weigh in will be good enough to get me under 181.5....

I had my last workout before the competition today... Now the rest of the week will be rest! I'm sure I'll be getting really antsy by the end of the week though. The guy running the comp said that since I was planning on resting the whole week I should go for 80% or a 1rm on each lift today...

Squat -- 1 x 260lbs
Bench -- 1 x 190lbs
Deadlift -- 1 x 325lbs

I think I'll open with 90% of the 1 rep maxes I set last week and try to go a bit beyond them on my 3rd lift.

DumbellDude
10-10-2006, 02:44 AM
Nice PR man!! THings look great before the meet.

Ricky Bobby
10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Goodluck in the meet. How much time do you have between the weigh in and the actual lifting?

ddegroff
10-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Sounds good man, GL with the comp!

Sidior
10-12-2006, 12:47 AM
gl at the meet!

deeder
10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
DBdude, ddegroff and Sidior -- Thanks guys! I can't wait! I'm really excited!

Ricky -- Thanks! I have 2 hours between weigh in (8am) and the start of lifting (10am). I have no idea really what the format for the competition is so I could be lifting right at 10 or I could be lifting at noon. No clue!

deeder
10-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I weighed myself this morning. By dropping the about 600 calories/day and not drinking as much water I'm now down to 177 (as of this morning after a very light breakfast). I think I must weigh alot less in the morning because I weighed myself on Monday in the afternoon and I was still 184lbs.

Ricky Bobby
10-12-2006, 07:11 PM
good you should be all set then. Just eat a nice big breakfast after the weigh in.

deeder
10-13-2006, 12:21 AM
good you should be all set then. Just eat a nice big breakfast after the weigh in.

Yup that's the plan!

ddegroff
10-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Sounds like you've got the weight under control.

GL tomorrow!

deeder
10-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you've got the weight under control.

GL tomorrow!

Thanks! I'm really nervous/excited/unsure/pumped/etc... :strong: :strong: :strong:

Unreal
10-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Good luck. How did you learn or find a comp? I would like to find one around here but have no idea where to look.

crazyskater52
10-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Hey man, how'd the comp go???

DumbellDude
10-14-2006, 09:23 AM
How did you do, Deeder?

deeder
10-14-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey everyone, I posted this in the powerlifting section too but now it's here for my records:

Overall I'm fairly happy with myself. I royally screwed up on the bench press. I competed in the Junior 82.5kg weight class.

Squat - 147.5kg - 325.2lbs

Bench - 95kg - 209lbs --> This was on my first attempt. On my second lift I didn't pause long enough (105kg) and on the third my butt came off the bench (110kg). All three lifts went up pretty easy though. I guess I'll have to work on the technique more.

Dead - 187.5kg - 413.4lbs

Total -- 430kg - 946lbs

I matched my PB in the gym for squat and beat my PB in the gym for dead by 8.4lbs

I was 40kg short of qualifying for nationals. The head referee came up to me after the competition and told me he wants to see me at nationals. I guess I'll have to make up that difference somewhere and get to another comp before nationals!

Unreal -- I did a search for saskatchewan powerlifting on google (I'm from Regina, Sask) and posted a couple questions on their forum. A few weeks later I got together with one of the guys to train with him and that's when he told me about the competition!

DumbellDude
10-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Good job man. Congratulations on your first meet!

The head referee came up to me after the competition and told me he wants to see me at nationals.
This is awesome!

deeder
10-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Good job man. Congratulations on your first meet!

This is awesome!

Yeah I was pretty psyched about that!

crazyskater52
10-16-2006, 12:03 AM
That sounds sweet man...been you were excited, thats cool the ref told you that too...Good job!!!

Ricky Bobby
10-16-2006, 10:39 PM
way to go man. I am sure that it will only go up from here.

deeder
10-16-2006, 11:55 PM
I was still pretty tired today from this weekend but I still went to the gym. I started Bill Starr's 5x5 today.

Squat:
warm-up
5 x 135lbs
5 x 170lbs
5 x 200lbs
5 x 235lbs
5 x 270lbs (belt) --> I had my belt on a bit too low and it was digging in to my hips. It really really hurt but I didn't want to stop and have to restart. Oh, and these were hard as hell!

Bench:
warmup
5 x 95 --> feels like warmup
5 x 110lbs --> yeah this too
5 x 130lbs --> started using a 2 second pause on chest
5 x 150lbs
5 x 175lbs --> These were pretty tough using that long pause.

Row:
warmup
5 x 95lbs --> very light, focused on squeezing shoulder blades together
5 x 110lbs
5 x 130lbs
5 x 150lbs
5 x 175lbs --> Done with very strict form; pretty tough!

Weighted Hyper Extensions:
2 x (15 x 25lbs)

Ab Cable Pulldowns: (It calls for weighted situps but I prefer these to situps)
4 x (10 x 220lbs) --> who knows how much weight I'm actually pulling

ddegroff
10-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Congrats on the comp!

Nice workout, i've been thinking about doing Starr's 5x5.

DumbellDude
10-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Good luck with the new routine man.

deeder
10-18-2006, 08:40 PM
I forgot my book with my workout in it at home today so I pretty much guessed at the numbers.... Here's what I did though:

Squat:
warmup
135lbs x 5
170lbs x 5
(205lbs x 5) x 2

Incline Bench:
warmup
105lbs x 5
125lbs x 5
145lbs x 5
165lbs x 6

Deadlift:
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
245lbs x 5
285lbs x 5

Did 3 sets of leg raises for abs with my lifting partner pushing them toward the floor when I got to the top then messed around on the ab balls tossing a medicine ball back and forth.

My little bro has been kind of sporatic in getting to the gym. He keeps forgetting to bring gym clothes with him to school on the days we work out. :p I think I'm gonna get him doing wbb #1.

Ricky Bobby
10-18-2006, 08:54 PM
good looking workouts man. Way to get right back at it after the comp.

Bareyataghan
10-20-2006, 01:23 PM
mmmm nice high end on the DL's... pretty sweet looking workout you got in here. I really wish I had a lifting partner that was dedicated like the people on here. Also- sweet job at the comp... I wish I was strong enough to lift at the comps. :spam:

Unreal
10-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Sweet deads deeder.

ddegroff
10-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Hows the shaved head treatin ya?

deeder
10-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Bareyataghan - Thanks! I find it really hard to keep lifting partners too. I've been working out with a new guy for the past 3 weeks or so... He had never squatted or deadlifted before he came to workout with me. He seems pretty into it so who knows how long this one will last.

Unreal - Thanks! I'm not sure I'm gonna like only deadlifting once a week after doing them 3 times a week.. They are my favorite lift without question.

ddegroff - Good! I kind of picked the wrong time of year though! My head is COLD! :p I'm getting some mixed comments about it. The only thing I do know is that I have to get a tan!!

Here's what I did on Friday. I didn't get a chance to put this up last night:

Squat
warmup
5 x 135lbs
5 x 170lbs
5 x 205lbs
5 x 235lbs
3 x 275lbs --> I just bought some knee wraps on Thursday so I gave them a try with this. I swear the hardest part was getting down to parallel! It just flew back up like nothing though!
8 x 205lbs --> Very explosive. They were tough!

Bench:
5 x 90lbs
5 x 110lbs
5 x 130lbs
5 x 155lbs
3 x 180lbs
8 x 130lbs
--> I've been working on using a really long pause for every single rep since that's kind of what screwed me at the competition.

Row:
5 x 90lbs
5 x 110lbs
5 x 130lbs
5 x 150lbs
3 x 180lbs
8 x 130lbs

Preacher curl:
10 x 65lbs
2 x (10 x 75lbs) --> Not sure if that's the weight... I think the EZ curl bar weighs 25lbs? Meh... Doesn't matter anyway.. I haven't done curls in a while :p

Tricep Extensions:
10 x 75lbs
2 x ( 10 x 90lbs)

ddegroff
10-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Haha, yeah if I shaved mine right now I would freeze.

Strong lookin' workout!

Unreal
10-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I deadlift about once and week. My favorite lift also, but doing them more often with lots of weight is rough. I may start some rackpulls just to see how those feel.

Guido
10-23-2006, 01:21 PM
I hear you on the tan. I am the whitest guy in the east central Illinois region according to most recent phone surveys.

deeder
10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I hear you on the tan. I am the whitest guy in the east central Illinois region according to most recent phone surveys.

Oh! So they were talking about YOU! :p

deeder
10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
I didn't have a workout partner today and I probably won't for another week or so. My great partner who never misses a workout (unlike my old one) got rear-ended this weekend and his neck is all messed up.

Here's what I did:

Squat:
warmup
140lbs x 5
175lbs x 5
210lbs x 5
240lbs x 5
275lbs x 5 --> I asked some dude to spot me just in case and it kind of irritated me... On the last rep he helped me up even though the bar was still going up.. Slowly, but it was still moving! :p Oh well... Good help is hard to find I guess :p

Bench: Well... I did a couple of warmup sets, looked at my sheet and threw on 140lbs... After I did that set I was like wait a minute... I shouldn't be starting that high! I had been looking at the weights for squats... Anyway... I only did the last three sets I guess...

140lbs x 5
155lbs x 5
175lbs x 5

BB Row:
90lbs x 5
110lbs x 5
130lbs x 5
150lbs x 5
175lbs x 5

Hyper extensions with a 25lb weight - 3 sets of 15
Ab cable pulldowns - The entire stack plus the two 5lb weights that you slide down 3 sets of 15.

Any ideas on how to make the pulldowns harder? A comparable exercise? I just don't know what I can do to progress now since I have the pulley maxed out.

deeder
10-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Haha, yeah if I shaved mine right now I would freeze.

Strong lookin' workout!

I'm loving my tuque these days!

ddegroff
10-23-2006, 09:46 PM
This routine is looking pretty good, peaking my intrest forsure.

As far as the ab pull downs, I have no clue how to make them harder. maybe switch how you set yourself up or how you hold the rope????

deeder
10-23-2006, 09:48 PM
ddegroff -- Yeah good call... I hold it by the sides of my head right now... Maybe it'd be harder if I held it in front of my head.

DumbellDude
10-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Very solid workouts man.
When I shaved my head it was January. You'll get used to the cold. And my skull was freaking white!

deeder
10-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Wednesday Oct. 25 workout:

Squat: used a shoulder width stance; it really helped with the hip pain I've been experiencing
warmup
5 x 140lbs
5 x 175lbs
5 x 205lbs
5 x 205lbs --> These last two sets I did as explosive as I could.

Incline Bench Press... There's only 1 incline bench at my gym and I stood around waiting about 10 minutes before I finally just decided to use dumbbells...
5 x 45's
5 x 55's
5 x 65's
5 x 75's --> I had fun with this last set because there was a big juice monkey beside me doing flat DB press with 75's and I asked him to borrow them for a quick set... He looked at me like I was crazy! :p

Deadlift:
warmup
5 x 220lbs --> I did this set standing on a little step that people use for calf raises... The added ROM made it INCREDIBLY difficult to get off the floor. Amazing what and extra 4inches will do!
5 x 265lbs
5 x 305lbs
5 x 350lbs

This is awesome because about 6 or 7 months ago my 1rm was 350lbs and I did it for a set of 5 today! :)

3 sets of situps on an incline bench with a 15lb medicine ball.

Chubrock
10-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Have you thought about replacing the pulldowns with chins? I've never been a fan of pulldowns. Try subbing in some chins and pulling in the same pathway you bench (ie, pull out and then in to sternum). A lot of the EFS guys that you can get a better carryover like that.

Clifford Gillmore
10-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Why not do face pulls? A good hold and squeeze at the contraction is hard as hell.

ddegroff
10-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Looking strong, nice work!

Glad to here that the pain has some what subsided. Has the streching helped (besides the narrow stance)?

deeder
10-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Have you thought about replacing the pulldowns with chins? I've never been a fan of pulldowns. Try subbing in some chins and pulling in the same pathway you bench (ie, pull out and then in to sternum). A lot of the EFS guys that you can get a better carryover like that.

I was talking about ab cable pulldowns... or cable crunches.. whatever you want to call them.

But thanks anyway for the advice! :p I haven't done lat pulldowns in probably 8 months :p

deeder
10-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Why not do face pulls? A good hold and squeeze at the contraction is hard as hell.

Face pulls?

deeder
10-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Looking strong, nice work!

Glad to here that the pain has some what subsided. Has the streching helped (besides the narrow stance)?

Not too sure which helped more.. I'm sure the stretching did help some though. I don't do nearly as much stretching as I should.

ddegroff
10-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't do nearly as much stretching as I should.

Same here, I'm working on it.

deeder
10-28-2006, 12:34 PM
I didn't get around to putting up my workout yesterday so here it is:

Squat:
warmup
5 x 140lbs
5 x 175lbs
5 x 210lbs
5 x 240lbs
3 x 285lbs
8 x 210lbs

Bench:
warmup
90lbs x 5
110lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
155lbs x 5
185lbs x 3
135lbs x 8

Row:
90lbs x 5
110lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
155lbs x 5
180lbs x 3
135lbs x 8

Seated DB Curl:
3 x (40lbs x 8)

Cable Tricep Extensions:
3 x (90lbs x 8)

ddegroff
10-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Strong work!

Still cold, lol?

Ricky Bobby
10-28-2006, 09:31 PM
are you talking about making tricep pulldowns harder? If you are try switching to the rope attachment.

DumbellDude
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
great squats deeder

Still cold, lol?
LOL

deeder
10-29-2006, 12:24 AM
are you talking about making tricep pulldowns harder? If you are try switching to the rope attachment.

Nope... Talking about making Cable Pulldowns for the Abdominals harder. :nod:

So much confusion over them! I wish there was an actual name for them!

deeder
10-29-2006, 12:26 AM
ddegroff -- Thanks! Not too cold anymore... My hair's growing back really really fast!

DumbellDude -- Thanks! They were TOUGH! On the set of 3 I put on my knee wraps... I don't need them for that weight but I just got them and I'm trying to get used to them before I go to my next competition. Anyway, I turned so red that set and actually had to work to hit parallel with the wraps on. I think I'm gonna love what they do when I try them with a heavy weight in a couple of weeks!

deeder
10-30-2006, 10:01 PM
I keep forgetting to bring my gym log book thingy with me to the gym! Argh! It's starting to irritate me!

Anyway, here's what I did:

Squat
warmup
5 x 145
5 x 185lbs
5 x 215lbs
5 x 255lbs
5 x 285lbs

Bench
warmup
5 x 95lbs
5 x 110lbs
5 x 140lbs
5 x 155lbs
5 x 185lbs

BO BB Row:
warmup
5 x 95lbs
5 x 110lbs
5 x 140lbs
5 x 175lbs --> I realized after I did the set that I added two tens to each side when I should have just added one... Whoops! :p
5 x 185lbs

AB Cable Pulldowns:
3 x ( 15 x 2 plates less than stack) --> Holding the rope in front of my head instead of at the sides of my neck really made these harder!

Hyper Extensions:
3 x (15 x 25lbs)

Spent about 10 minutes stretching after all this.. I found a stretch which seems to target the sore spot in my hip. Oh, and by the way I didn't have any problems with my hip today and I used my normal wider stance.

Chubrock
10-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Strong squatting man. Nice session.

ddegroff
10-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Nice rows!

Love those mistakes!

deeder
11-01-2006, 11:51 PM
I was really tired getting to today's worktout but it was still pretty decent... No lifting partner today though.

Squats:
warmup
145lbs x 5
180lbs x 5
2 x (215lbs x 5)

Incline Bench Press: (no pause)
115lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
160lbs x 5
180lbs x 5

Deadlift:
225lbs x 5
275lbs x 5
315lbs x 5
360lbs x 5 --> Only wore my belt for this set.

Decline weighted situps and twists:
2 x (15 twists to each side with a 45lb plate and 15 situps with a 25lb weight held above my head)

Edit:
Also, after all of this I swam relays with some 12 year old kids before the practice that I coached. It was brutal.. Their coach needed one more to make even numbers so I offered to get in. Most of the little relays involved leg work of some kind. There was also lots of butterfly. I'm not in the swimming shape I used to be, and after those deadlifts... I was dying! :p

ddegroff
11-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Nice deads!

That sounds like a lot of fun :thumbup:.

Stumprrp
11-02-2006, 01:19 PM
training is super in here big D

deeder
11-03-2006, 10:31 PM
ddegroff - Thanks! I've never trained deads near this heavy but I think it's working really well for me!

Stumprrp - Thanks! I try :p

Here's what I did today:

Squat:
warmup
5 x 145lbs
5 x 180lbs
5 x 215lbs
5 x 250lbs
3 x 290lbs --> Knee wraps and belt used on this set. I think I'm getting used to the wraps finally... These were alot faster reps than last week and felt alot easier even though it was heavier.
8 x 215lbs

Bench Press:
95lbs x 5
115lbs x 5
140lbs x 5
160lbs x 5
190lbs x 3
140lbs x 8 --> No pause, really fast.

I decided to be adventurous today! I did hang cleans instead of Bent over rows today. I haven't done cleans in a while so these were alot harder than I expected :p

5 x 90lbs
5 x 115lbs
5 x 135lbs
5 x 160lbs
3.5 x 185lbs --> I didn't get low enough on the first rep and had to drop it back down... But then I powered through three good reps. :)
8 x 135lbs

Seated DB Curl:
3 x (10 each arm x 40lbs)

Tricep rope pushdowns:
3 x (8 x 90lbs)

I was soooo tired after this workout... I could barely walk down the stairs to get to the changeroom.

I have an essay for sociology 100 due on monday that I haven't started yet... I'm not too psyched about writing it either. I'm sure I'll wind up spending too much time on this site instead of working on my essay :p

ddegroff
11-03-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm sure I'll wind up spending too much time on this site instead of working on my essay

Haha, yeah just put down my Exercise Phys book.

Nice work on those cleans! I'm planning on adding them in next week.

Ruffian
11-04-2006, 08:02 AM
You had better spend more time on that essay especially if you arent going to see your b-e-a-utiful girlfriend because your supposed to be doing it!

*tear*

DumbellDude
11-04-2006, 09:07 AM
stong squats D !

deeder
11-06-2006, 07:50 PM
ddegroff and DumbellDude -- Thanks guys!

Here was my workout today:

Squat:
warmup
5 x 145lbs
5 x 185lbs
5 x 220lbs
5 x 255lbs
5 x 290lbs

Bench:
warmup
5 x 95lbs
5 x 120lbs
5 x 140lbs
5 x 165lbs
5 x 185lbs

Row:
warmup
5 x 95lbs
5 x 120lbs
5 x 140lbs
5 x 165lbs
5 x 185lbs

3 sets of reverse hypers --> 15 x 25lbs, 2 x (15 x 50lbs)
2 sets of decline situps throwing a medicine ball to my partner...

ddegroff
11-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Nice workout overall.

How do those squats feel? (hip wise)

deeder
11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Nice workout overall.

How do those squats feel? (hip wise)

They feel really good actually! Since I did that week of narrow stance squatting and all the stretching I've been doing lately I haven't had any pain. :thumbup:

ddegroff
11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Good to hear!

deeder
11-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Today's workout was pretty good... My legs were a little stiff from Monday's workout but they were fine after a couple warmup sets.

Squats:
warmup
5 x 145lbs
5 x 185lbs
2 x (5 x 220lbs)
* First two sets were VERY slow and completely atf. Last two were fast and halfway between parallel and atf.

I decided to switch things up again today and did Push Presses:
warmup
5 x 115lbs
5 x 130lbs
5 x 140lbs
5 x 165lbs --> I had an audience for this set! :p Some dude actually walked over and stood beside the squat rack while I was doing these then asked me what they were when I was done. The conversation didn't go much further than that though... He was like "Oh." Then walked away. :p

Deadlift:
warmup
5 x 230lbs
5 x 275lbs
5 x 325lbs
5 x 370lbs --> After the last rep I let go of the bar took a small step back and just about fell over. I had to sit down for a few minutes before I was ready to start unloading the bar. Feels gooooooood working myself to the limit like that!

ddegroff
11-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Killer deads, i love that feeling?

i guess you confused the guy, nice work anyway.

ddegroff
11-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Magical double post.

Sidior
11-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Looking really strong in here. I like how you totally ignore your gfs comments ahahaha.

deeder
11-09-2006, 03:13 PM
ddegroff - Yeah maybe. Oh well... Maybe he'll look them up or something.

Sidior - Thanks! I don't ignore her comments! I just don't answer them. :) Hehe

Ruffian
11-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Sidior - Thanks! I don't ignore her comments! I just don't answer them. :) Hehe

He thinks its safer that way :evillaugh

ddegroff
11-09-2006, 08:34 PM
^Or he's like me and would like to respond to your face, instead of over the internet.

But that's just me. :D

deeder
11-10-2006, 05:05 PM
^Or he's like me and would like to respond to your face, instead of over the internet.

But that's just me. :D

Yup :) That too.

My workout was really really quick today. I just felt really good and I was taking about half the usual break time. Also I skipped doing arms/abs at the end. Here's what I did:

Squats:
warmup
145lbs x 5
185lbs x 5
220lbs x 5
255lbs x 5
300lbs x 3 --> With knee wraps
225lbs x 8
**I was sweating bullets by about the 3rd set.

Bench Press:
warmup
95lbs x 5
120lbs x 5
140lbs x 5
165lbs x 5
190lbs x 3
140lbs x 8 *touch and go, really fast
**I was playing around a bit today with my foot positioning and found a spot where it feels like I get alot of leg drive. Lifts were easy so I'll try to find that same spot next week.

Hang Cleans: (I really liked these last week so I did them again :strong: )
warmup
95lbs x 5
120lbs x 5
140lbs x 5
165lbs x 5

I was wiped so I ended with that set and I didn't feel like doing arms so I skipped that.

Sidior
11-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Did you get much out of the knee wraps?

deeder
11-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Did you get much out of the knee wraps?

Yeah I think they help. The hardest part when I have them on is getting to parallel. I'm going to be doing some 1rm next week so I guess we'll see how much more I can do with them then...

deeder
11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Pre Competition Max Squat day:

Squat
bar x 15
95lbx x 3
135lbs x 3
185lbs x 3
225lbs x 3
275lbs x 2
315lbs x 1 --> belt
330lbs x 1 --> belt and knee wraps
360lbs x 1 --> belt and knee wraps
375lbs x 1 --> belt and knee wraps, video of this one should be in members pic section pretty soon. *Edit: Here it is: http://64.191.89.25/showthread.php?t=88061

Deadlift:
bar x 15
135lbs x 10
3 x (225lbs x 3)

Bench:
bar x 15
95lbs x 10
3 x (135lbs x 3)

I am sooo psyched about my squat! That's 50lbs on my max since Oct. 14 just by using knee wraps!

ddegroff
11-13-2006, 07:19 PM
hell yeah!

Nice work on those squats, it's paying off!

You eaisly hit parallel.

Sidior
11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
It may just be the angle but to me it looks like you squat more narrow than wide. Do you think wraps would give as much if you were a wide squatter?

deeder
11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
It may just be the angle but to me it looks like you squat more narrow than wide. Do you think wraps would give as much if you were a wide squatter?

I guess it depends what you determine to be a wide squat. What I was doing in that video I would call a wide squat. My narrow squat my feet are shoulder width apart. That squat was about double shoulder width stance.

Sidior
11-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I guess it depends what you determine to be a wide squat. What I was doing in that video I would call a wide squat. My narrow squat my feet are shoulder width apart. That squat was about double shoulder width stance.

Ah ok. Well that answers my question. Seems you get alot out of wraps even with a wide stance.

KevinStarke
11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Strong squat man, good depth.

deeder
11-17-2006, 06:44 PM
Sidior - Come to think of it bro... You'd get alot out of knee wraps no matter what your stance is. The knee wraps from what I can tell just resist against the knee bending and try to straighten it back out basically..

deeder
11-17-2006, 07:00 PM
This week was awesome! Three new PRs!

375lb squat
245lb bench

And.... Drumroll please!

450lb deadlift!

I was also crazy busy with school this week so I didn't have much time to update this, so here's wednesday's and today's workouts:

Wednesday Nov. 15, 2006

Squat:
warmup
3 x (3 x 225lbs)

Bench:
bar x 15
95lbs x 5
135lbs x 5
185lbs x 3
205lbs x 1
225lbs x 1
245lbs x 1
2 x (255lbs x 1) ** Failed both of them though... It gets stuck right on my chest. Training ideas before I finalize my routine for after this competition?

Deadlift:
3 x (3 x 225lbs)

Friday Nov. 27, 2006

Box Squat:
warmup
3 x (3 x 165lbs) --> Ridiculously light, kind of like a warmup I guess...

Flat BB Bench:
warmup
3 x (3 x 135lbs) --> Really worked on pause and back arch... Same as the box squats, ridiculously light :p

Deadlift:
bar x 15
135lbs x 8
225lbs x 5
315lbs x 3
385lbs x 1 --> No belt! I've never gone this high without a belt!
415lbs x 1 --> Beat Oct. 14 competition pull by 2lbs
435lbs x 1 --> Beat Oct. 14 competition pull by 22lbs!
450lbs x 1 --> Beat Oct. 14 competition pull by 37lbs!!!!! Just about 40lbs in a little over a month! Hell yeah Bill Starr! You rock!

I got a ride home with Kristen's workout partner today so I stuck around and did Shoulder Presses and some decline Crunches.

Shoulder Press:
45lbs x 8 -- Really slow...
3 x (55lbs x 5) --> Not bad... I probably could have gone higher though.

This was my last workout before the competition. I'm leaving for Winnipeg a week from today! I'm pretty psyched about it! If I can put up the same numbers as I did this week, then I'll be 15kg OVER what I need to qualify for nationals!

Oh.. and did I mention that my total is finally over 1000! 1070 bitches! YEAH! Crushed it :p

ddegroff
11-18-2006, 01:23 AM
Hell yea man, nice work!

450 damn! :thumbup:

Ruffian
11-18-2006, 12:09 PM
YEah, and the funny part was he didnt believe that he could do it. I told him he could but he said no... But he did, Just like I said he could!

After the 415 hes like "I dont think ill be able to do 430" but then he went on to do the 450! I Was so proud of him! LOL

Now hes over the 1000 mark and I still cant squat or dead... What kind of world is this?

KevinStarke
11-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Strong pull man your strength is cruisin.

It gets stuck right on my chest. Training ideas before I finalize my routine for after this competition?

Tuck tuck tuck, if your elbows are good and tucked and you give yourself enough leg drive you shouldn't have a problem getting the bar moving off your chest. I would say realllly focus on your form before the competition. Also make sure you arent dropping the bar to your chest, bring it down controlled and then explode off of your chest and drag the bar backwards to lock it out.

deeder
11-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Strong pull man your strength is cruisin.

Tuck tuck tuck, if your elbows are good and tucked and you give yourself enough leg drive you shouldn't have a problem getting the bar moving off your chest. I would say realllly focus on your form before the competition. Also make sure you arent dropping the bar to your chest, bring it down controlled and then explode off of your chest and drag the bar backwards to lock it out.

I try to keep my elbows tucked. I wish I had a better video so people could really comment on my form. All I've been doing pretty much since the last competition has been working on my bench press form. That's what screwed me the last time.

I don't have a problem controlling it on the way down ever or pausing with it... It's just getting started off the chest.

I really need to get training with some powerlifters because reading online is starting to not be enough!

DumbellDude
11-20-2006, 12:18 AM
very strong lifts man, congrats on all PRs - how far is next comp?

Ricky Bobby
11-23-2006, 02:47 PM
congrats on all the prs you are really improving this is impressive.

KevinStarke
11-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Hands on experience is definitelly key. I feel like finding your groove in bench is something that once find it is just second nature to you. Just keep messing your form till you find that position that has you nice and tight and feels right.

nhlfan
11-23-2006, 07:31 PM
impressive deadlifting, deeder. you're seeing great gains!

Also, I was thinking of dropping by Karen Fahlman's office (she's the FLC manager and is in charge of all the equipment) and suggesting we get some powerlifting stuff. Bands, boxes, doubled sided racks, etc... Maybe I'm getting a little hopeful but she seems really open to suggestions. Just wondering if you'd be interested in that sort of stuff.
I'd be interested in powerlifting equipment, but I have to admit that I've never used any before. If stuff like bands and boxes were in the FLC, I would definitely give them a try. How about some chains?

Ruffian
11-23-2006, 08:27 PM
How about some chains?

Already there if you look hard enough!

What we need are stuff that will fit women!

WBBIRL
11-23-2006, 08:44 PM
I find that, since I used zero leg drive, heavy heavy negatives are helpful with getting weights off my chest. I'm more to the point now where I can get 30 or so pounds more started then I can finish off.. I get right to where I just about kick in tri's which can more then handle the weight but the chest cant quite get there.

For you, I'd suggest heavy negatives and take kevs advice about tucking your elbows. If you've got it down, leg drive is key. If im ever goana bench big I assure you I'll have to learn leg drive.

Some people don't like negatives, but I swear by them for pulling ahead of your current 1RM. Increase your 1RM by 15% for a starting negative weight and just focus on letting the weight down controlled and stopping it at your chest, then have a parter or two assist you with getting it back up.

You could also try some REALLY wide grips when benching, I know I was too tri focused on my grip and widening up my grip helped. On top of that I did some very wide work, thumbs on the ring which helps the chest a bit. Your numbers will take a hit if you don't usually do work that wide.

That last bit of info is really common sense, but if you can afford a few extra pounds then gain them as they will make a big difference!

deeder
11-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks DBDude!! It's about a 5 and a half hour drive I think.. Maybe six.. Never driven it.

Thanks Ricky!

Kevin -- I've been trying around with some different feet positions on bench press and I really like having my feet almost right under my ass on my toes.

nhlfan -- I've used bands once. It was pretty cool. But I'd like to start getting that stuff into my program regularly.

Kristen -- Those bands are for warming up your shoulers or doing rotator cuff work. They don't support 100+ lbs when fully stretched. And we're not talking about the dip belts they have... Big heavy ass chains that hang from the sides of the barbell.. As they touch the ground they get lighter because they rest on the ground.

WBBIRL -- I've never tried doing negatives.. I'll think about throwing those in now and then. I always bench index fingers on the rings. It's very wide considering my height. I'm gonna bulk up a bit after this competition... But I want to cut back down to 181 by the time Nationals comes around.

nhlfan
11-23-2006, 09:33 PM
What we need are stuff that will fit women!
What kind of stuff?

KevinStarke
11-23-2006, 09:55 PM
I tuck my feet in a good bit, definitelly helps stayin tight.

Ruffian
11-24-2006, 08:55 AM
What kind of stuff?
Now that Im getting back into squatting (after my 2 week trial period where I wont get heavy) a belt would be nice.

Lucas- I didnt know that THAT kind of chain was the kind he meant lol... I doubt shed pick it up, simply because too many people would be clueless to its purpose ;)

deeder
11-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Now that Im getting back into squatting (after my 2 week trial period where I wont get heavy) a belt would be nice.

Lucas- I didnt know that THAT kind of chain was the kind he meant lol... I doubt shed pick it up, simply because too many people would be clueless to its purpose ;)

Bands and boxes and other stuff like that too... Who cares if people are clueless... I'd still like to use them!

Oh, and you shouldn't be squatting anywhere close to where you'll need a belt anytime soon. Just cuz you squatted last week doesn't mean your knee is better... You haven't had surgery yet remember ;)

Chris686
12-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Impressive squat and DL numbers man!

Improve that bench a little and you're an all around beast!

Now all I need to do is increase my squat and deadlift weight...

Stumprrp
12-26-2006, 07:12 AM
super strong numbers there deeder :thumbup:

deeder
12-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted in here... I had my competition in Winnipeg then I started a Westside routine about a week after that. I was pretty busy with finals and everything else going on.

I didn't really like Westside... After doing Korte's 3x3 and Starr's 5x5 (both high frequency and low volume) my body just didn't seem to like the higher volume workouts of westside.

I'm going to be competing in a small competition on New Year's eve. Just for fun mostly. I've been battling a cold for the past week so I don't expect any PR's.

After the competition I plan to do an 8 week cycle of Korte's 3x3 then reassess my goals for nationals.

I didn't get any powerlifting gear for xmas so now I've got to find the $$$ to buy some in the next little while. Depending on my strength gains in the next 2 months and how much weight I get out of the gear I might be able to try to beat a couple of the provincial records this year at nationals.

Kristen just got a good digital camera for Christmas so I'll finally be able to post some good quality vids of my lifts! I'll have them up Jan 1st probably.

bill
12-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Glad you posted again. Do well and have fun in the meet. I tried some of the westside stuff but burnt out quickly. I may not have done it correctly. Less is better for me, with some taxing stuff thrown in systematically.
I've done well Ed Coan Bench program. If Kortes doesn't go as well keep that one in mind.
If you want some more info on Ed Coan one. I can give you a few bits of info.

KevinStarke
12-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Looking forward to seein how you do on a new routine man, gotta do what works for you.

deeder
12-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Squats went amazing! Bench and dead were slightly disappointing.. I think because I've been fighting off a cold for a while before this I just tired myself out on the squats.

We got vids of all the lifts so I'll post those up in the members pic section tomorrow probably...

Squat: (belt and knee wraps)
165kg
182.5 -- PR by 10kg since November 25! And I finally broke the 400lb barrier!

Bench: (RAW)
105kg
110kg - fail
110kg - fail
Both times I got the bar about an inch off my chest and then it just stopped... Boy I need to get a bench shirt... Oh, and 110kg is my previous PR...

Deadlift: (belt)
192.5kg
200kg
207.5kg - fail
Pulled 10lbs less than my previous PR and was hoping to add a few pounds to it but it just didn't want to come any higher than about 4 inches off the ground :p

Sidior
01-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Just saw your vids bro, great job at the comp...real nice squatting. I'm considering korte's 3x3 myself, what are your thoughts on it after finishing the 8 weeks?

deeder
01-02-2007, 12:56 AM
^^^

It was great! I made huge strength gains with it. I'm starting another round of it on Wednesday. I think I might try to extend it a bit because I have 12 weeks to train before nationals.

The 3x3 system is an eight week training cycle that consists of two phases. Phase I is a high volume phase, while Phase II is the competition phase.

I was thinking basically extend the "high volume" phase by 3 weeks and the "competition" phase by one week. The added week with heavy weights would let me allow me more time to get used to lifting heavy in equipment. Any thoughts on this?

deeder
01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I did my first gpp type workout today. I don't know if I mentionned this before but I'm going to add in 1 day a week, basically whenever it fits best in my schedule. It is usually going to be on Saturday or Sunday but because I had a competition on Sunday I didn't workout on Monday and was feeling pretty darn lazy today... It might be hard to describe some stuff but here's what I did:

We did each exercises twice like a circuit with very minimal breaks and keeping our heart rates high.

One arm DB snatches:
30 reps each arm x 45lbs

Starting with a medicine ball (8lb ball first time then 11lb ball second time) on the floor between my legs, squat down pick it up and do a push pass to the side to Kristen. We threw it back and forth about 15 times each then switched sides and did the same.

Static holds. I wasn't timing or anything... Just went close to failure:
100lb dumbbells first time through
80lb dumbbels second time through

Took about a minute of rest then walked on the treadmill at a high incline for about 15 minutes.

I drank about a liter of water throughout this workout but still lost 3.5lbs from start to end! Needless to say it was alot more cardio than I've done in a LONG time!

ddegroff
01-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Whew nice work on those snatchs!

Sidior
01-02-2007, 10:57 PM
^^^

It was great! I made huge strength gains with it. I'm starting another round of it on Wednesday. I think I might try to extend it a bit because I have 12 weeks to train before nationals.

I was thinking basically extend the "high volume" phase by 3 weeks and the "competition" phase by one week. The added week with heavy weights would let me allow me more time to get used to lifting heavy in equipment. Any thoughts on this?

It seems like the competition phase worked well for you already, so maybe leave that alone. To me it would make more sense to extend the volume phase by 4 weeks (doubling it) and just leave the comp phase alone. For the extra time with the volume phase, maybe taper up even slower so week 1 is the same percentage as the last time you did it, and week 8 is the same as your week 4 last time. Just increment more gradually. Just my thoughts, but I have yet to try the 3x3. Tomorrow will be my first day, feel free to drop by and let me know what you think.

deeder
01-03-2007, 02:22 AM
It seems like the competition phase worked well for you already, so maybe leave that alone. To me it would make more sense to extend the volume phase by 4 weeks (doubling it) and just leave the comp phase alone. For the extra time with the volume phase, maybe taper up even slower so week 1 is the same percentage as the last time you did it, and week 8 is the same as your week 4 last time. Just increment more gradually. Just my thoughts, but I have yet to try the 3x3. Tomorrow will be my first day, feel free to drop by and let me know what you think.

Hey that's awesome! We'll be starting the program at the same time!

I think I might pose the question as to how best to extend this program to twelve weeks in the main forums. Your idea about incrementing more gradually makes sense for avoiding overtraining in the long run. However, if I wanted to make the same kind of gains as I did last time I expect I'd have to challenge myself at the same rate.

deeder
01-03-2007, 02:25 AM
Whew nice work on those snatchs!

Thanks! It was the first time I've ever done snatches let alone DB snatches. I picked up the 45 thinking it would pretty easy... Well, it wasn't as easy as I expected... After the first set of 30 I was breathing extremely heavy and literally dripping sweat. 'Twas a good workout! :rolleyes:

deeder
01-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Well here's my first workout back on Korte's 3x3:

Squats:
warmup
5 x ( 5 x 260lbs )

Bench:
warmup
6 x ( 8 x 160lbs )

Deadlift: hips really low and fast pulls
warmup
5 x ( 6 x 250lbs)

It was a pretty tough workout after my workout yesterday...

Stumprrp
01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
great workout dude and high rep snatches will make even a gorilla cry

Natetaco
01-03-2007, 06:38 PM
nice lifting, you have done kortes 3x3 before right? expected to see some good gains again

ddegroff
01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
When's your next comp?

Nice workout bro!

deeder
01-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Stumprrp - Thanks bro! My upper back is aching today!

Natenaco - Yeah I did my own 6 week version of it.. 3 week volume phase 3 weeks competition...

ddegroff - Next competiton will be nationals in Nova Scotia! It's gonna be a blast!

Sidior
01-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Nice start back on the 3x3 bro

deeder
01-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Nice start back on the 3x3 bro

Oh yeah that reminds me I have to check your journal! Damnit I'm so bad for that :p

Sidior
01-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Well here's my first workout back on Korte's 3x3:

Squats:
warmup
5 x ( 5 x 260lbs )

Bench:
warmup
6 x ( 8 x 160lbs )

Deadlift: hips really low and fast pulls
warmup
5 x ( 6 x 250lbs)

It was a pretty tough workout after my workout yesterday...

Just realized, you started your 3x3 at more weight for me than squats. What number did you go with as your squat max?

deeder
01-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Just realized, you started your 3x3 at more weight for me than squats. What number did you go with as your squat max?

I put 405 in as my max as I hit 402 at my competition New Years Eve... I changed the template that I have a bit though so instead of adding 15lbs, 10lbs and 15lbs to the squat, bench and dead respectively (or whatever those numbers actually are) I'm hoping to add 40lbs, 25lbs and 50lbs. Might be a little hopeful... But I gained that much in 6 weeks last time on this program!

deeder
01-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I had a rough day today. It was my first (of many to come) friday morning shift at my university gym. I had to be there at 5:45 which meant I got up around 4:45 to bike there... This wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't been up until 2:30 last night because my step-dad was blasting out music.

Anyway, I was super drained and feeling a little sick from only sleeping about 2 hours... I managed to complete everything I needed to though! Here it is:

Box Squat (just a tiny bit below parallel)
warmup
5 x ( 8 x 225lbs )

CGB:
warmup
6 x ( 6 x 160lbs )

Deadlift:
warmup
5 x ( 7 x 290lbs )

I was pretty happy that I lived through this workout :p It was pretty much hell on earth.

deeder
01-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Today was my GPP workout. It was a really good workout! They were doing testing for the university football team today (it looked like high school kids) and Kristen tells me the coaches were watching me while we were doing some of our workout :)

Squat Push Passes -- ATF squat position, pick up an 11lb medicine ball and do a squat jump/push pass back and forth for about 2 minutes

Farmer's Walk -- 1 lap around the track (approx 220m) first time with 50lb dumbbells, second time with 40's

Double overhand medicine ball throw -- Stepping forward with one leg using the abs to slam the ball to the ground (first time with 6lb ball, second time with 11lb ball)

Medicine ball side to side passes -- Standing about 2 feet apart back to back, grabbing the ball on one side and passing it off on the other... Went as long as we could without getting dizzy then went the opposite direction. (first time with 6lb ball, second time with 11lb ball)

We did all of the above twice like a circuit.

Spent about 10 minutes doing some sprinting drills (that I sucked at!) then did a couple of 50m sprints. Kristen was giving me **** because apparently I suck at running :p Stupid track runners..

Stumprrp
01-07-2007, 04:52 PM
nasty workout on 2 hours sleep dude and nice conditioning

Sidior
01-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Uh oh GPP work....it is against IPF regulations lol. Nice wokrout man. Where are nationals being held this year?

deeder
01-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Uh oh GPP work....it is against IPF regulations lol. Nice wokrout man. Where are nationals being held this year?

LOL! Against regulations?! ****! What if I taper off a couple weeks before nationals? Will they still be able to see it in the drug test?! :windup:

Nationals are in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. My first time to the maritimes!

Sidior
01-07-2007, 09:50 PM
LOL! Against regulations?! ****! What if I taper off a couple weeks before nationals? Will they still be able to see it in the drug test?! :windup:

Nationals are in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. My first time to the maritimes!

That sounds like a good time. Sucks they are so far from me, I wanted to catch them. Maybe next year I can finally get some comps under my belt and compete with you.

WBBIRL
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
GPP is as bad as gear man, don't do it lol

Just kidding, sounds like a good time man. I wish my total was even remotely close to qualifying for such a thing. It should be one of my long time goals to actually do good for my weight class.

How many competitions have you done now? Results?

deeder
01-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Sidior - Do it! It's sooooo much fun!

WBBIRL - I've done 3 competitions now (the last of which was just a small gym competition). I totalled 430kg on Oct. 14, 487.5kg on Nov. 25 and again 487.5kg on Jan 31 (I was just getting over a cold... Otherwise I'm sure my total would have been a bit higher).

deeder
01-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Today's workout was long... Way too long. It took me about an hour and forty-five minutes to get through it today. My breaks were definately too long during squats :p

Squats:
warmup
5 x (6 x 270lbs)

Bench:
warmup
6 x (165lbs x 8)

Deadlift:
warmup
5 x (260lbs x 6)

Overall, a decent workout. I'm going to have to watch how much time I take between sets though!

ddegroff
01-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I always seem to take long breaks when squatting. I just try to speed it up on the rest of the lifts.

Overall nice workout, even with the length!

KevinStarke
01-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Nothing wrong with long breaks at all man especially when your powerlifting. Workout looks good.

deeder
01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
ddegroff - Yeah man me too... Squats absolutely kill me so I always take a while to recover between sets. And thanks!

KevinStarke - Yeah, I really need the long breaks... How long are your workouts usually?

deeder
01-10-2007, 04:55 PM
I felt really good throughout today's workout even though I was beat by the end of it:

Box Squats:
warmup
5 x ( 7 x 230lbs)

CGBP
warmup
6 x (6 x 165lbs)

Deadlift:
warmup
5 x ( 7 x 300lbs) --> Wore my belt loose for the last 3 sets

Stumprrp
01-10-2007, 05:36 PM
such high volume man i hope your eating like hell with this! nice job!

jAy_Dub
01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
You're strong as hell bro. I just watched your squating video, looking great! Awesome deads too. Keep that **** up!

Sidior
01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Real nice workout. I can't help but wonder if we are working from a slightly different template. Mine does not call for any box squats or CGBP work....weird.

deeder
01-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Real nice workout. I can't help but wonder if we are working from a slightly different template. Mine does not call for any box squats or CGBP work....weird.

Yeah, mine's a modified one that I got from the Saskatchewan Powerlifting homepage.

deeder
01-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Stumprrp - Averaging around 3000cals. Just a tiny bit over maintenance. I'm staying in the same weight class until after nationals this year.

Thanks Jay!

KevinStarke
01-11-2007, 07:27 AM
KevinStarke - Yeah, I really need the long breaks... How long are your workouts usually?

My powerlifting workouts? haha on heavy bench day or heavy squat/deadlift day if I had nothing else to do after i'd often be in the gym 2-2.5 hours, sometimes 3. Now during my conditioning routine im done lifting within 45 mins - 1 hour, then do 15-20 minutes of stretching.

ddegroff
01-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Lookin strong Deeder, nice work!

Guido
01-11-2007, 11:08 AM
That's a different roiutine you're doing but it seems to be working well for you. You've made good progress in all your lifts in a fairly short amount of time. What are your goals for this next meet coming up?

nhlfan
01-11-2007, 11:44 AM
what is CGBP? looks like you're putting in some hard work, Deeder.

deeder
01-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Kevin - Well then I guess my 2 hour workout isn't that bad!

ddegroff- thanks bro!

Guido - It worked great for me before too! It's a love hate relationship though... I love the gains but hate how I hurt so bad :p

nhlfan - CGBP = Close Grip Bench Press

Here's what I did today:

Squats:
warmup
5 x ( 5 x 270lbs )
** I was wearing track pants and on the very first rep of my first set I tore the ass right out of the pants... I stood back up... Looked around in the mirror... A few people we're looking... I figure what the hell, the damage is done, and finished my set :p

THEN! I didn't have any shorts or anything so I went to the lost and found and asked if they had a pair I could borrow... There were swimming trunks and a pair of shorts that probably belonged to a 110lb girl. I was sure the swimming trunks would rip too so I took the short shorts :p

Legs Up Bench Press:
warmup
6 x ( 5 x 165lbs )

Deadlift - needless to say these were pretty ackward in my short shorts...

5 x ( 8 x 300lbs )
** loose belt on the last two sets

HeavyBomber
01-12-2007, 07:40 PM
...[clip]...
THEN! I didn't have any shorts or anything so I went to the lost and found and asked if they had a pair I could borrow... There were swimming trunks and a pair of shorts that probably belonged to a 110lb girl. I was sure the swimming trunks would rip too so I took the short shorts :p...[clip]...

Lost and found can be scary :) I once forgot my shirt so I used a lost and found one. At first it was okay but after I broke a sweat the thing started smelling like rotting canvas. It was bad. lol

Ruffian
01-12-2007, 09:20 PM
TMI Heavy... LOL... Are you sure it was the shirt ? ;)

Sensei
01-12-2007, 09:49 PM
** I was wearing track pants and on the very first rep of my first set I tore the ass right out of the pants... I stood back up... Looked around in the mirror... A few people we're looking... I figure what the hell, the damage is done, and finished my set :p
I've done that! At least you noticed... I ended up finishing my workout and walking back to the car like that before I did.

Bob
01-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Nice job deeder.. I've blown out my shorts/sweat pants/etc... that I finally had to find a solution back in the day... that I finally had to find an answer... thank god when they finally invented bike shorts (in the 80s).. and now under armour... i don't lift without them anymore under my outside appearal.

Then when the blowouts happen.. they still do at least 2 times per year.. I just finish my workout and let everyone see my big white arse covered by stretchy Under Armour.. no biggie... better then a big hairy moon.. lol.

Stumprrp
01-13-2007, 08:29 AM
SOLID effort big Deeder, good work on pants ripping

deeder
01-14-2007, 11:34 PM
HB - Yeah bro... That's why I didn't mind taking girl shorts :p I knew they wouldn't stink!

Kristen - TMI?

Sensei - Hahaha! How could you not notice! My whole ass was sticking out the bottom of my pants... This wasn't just a little tear!

bearwolf - Meh, regular shorts have worked fine for me so far... They just happened to be dirty and smelly on Friday...

Stumprrp - Thanks!

I did my GPP style workout today:

50lbs 1 arm DB snatch x 30 reps each arm
10 squat jumps with bar
100lb static hold close to failure

5 mins rest

50lbs 1 arm DB snatch x 20 reps each arm
10 overhead squats with bar
100lb static hold close to failure

15 mins walking high incline on treadmill
5 mins stretching

My hamstrings were dead tired by the end of this workout and I was drenched in sweat yet again. Tomorrow's workout is going to be killer!

deeder
01-15-2007, 05:49 PM
My lower back has been taking a beating from this program. It was pumped and sore after my first working set of squats:

Squats
warmups
5 x ( 7 x 275lbs )

Bench Press
warmups
6 x ( 7 x 170lbs )

Deadlift
warmups
5 x ( 5 x 270lbs )

I felt really strong today despite the aching back. Deadlifts were really light so I worked on speed and getting my hips lower at the start of the lift.

jAy_Dub
01-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Daaamn bro, thats some strong squatting! 5x7x275 is freakin awesome. Keep it up.

KevinStarke
01-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Your squat strength is looking really good man.

deeder
01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks guys! Last time I used this program my squats blew up! The strength is still coming so hopefully I'll make huge gains this time around too!

Sidior
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Huge squatting deeder, real nice stuff bro! I hope I make gains similar to you on the squat.

ddegroff
01-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Thats a really strong workout considering your lower back!

deeder
01-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Sidior and ddegroff - Thanks guys!

Today's workout:

Box Squat:
5 x (240lbs x 7)

CGBP:
6 x (5 x 170lbs)

Deadlift:
5 x (7 x 315lbs)

Ruffian
01-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Good workout today babe, too bad I couldnt be there :P

ddegroff
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Man those are some killer deads!

Are you still enjoying this program as much as the first go around?

deeder
01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Good workout today babe, too bad I couldnt be there :P

Yeah, well... No short shorts this time... So you didn't miss much :p

Man those are some killer deads!

Are you still enjoying this program as much as the first go around?

I'm loving it! All I have to do is hit the numbers everyweek and it's like a guarantee that I'm getting stronger! I really like having my numbers set out for me before I go into the gym. I never leave feeling like I could have done more or I didn't work hard enough.

Detard
01-18-2007, 06:48 PM
nice work deeder!

deeder
01-19-2007, 05:03 PM
nice work deeder!

Thanks detard!

deeder
01-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Not the greatest workout today. I hit all the numbers I was supposed to but everything felt heavy...

Squats
warmup
5 x (5 x 275lbs)

Legs Up Bench:
6 x (5 x 170lbs)

Deadlift:
5 x (7 x 315lbs)

WBBIRL
01-19-2007, 08:43 PM
You'll have that some days bro, good work anyhow.

deeder
01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
You'll have that some days bro, good work anyhow.

Yup. It feels that much better when you still manage to push through it!

deeder
01-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Another solid GPP day. My buddy Nathan came along and we pushed ourselves pretty hard:

Platform jumps:
20 x BW --> Done as fast as possible
20 x overhead squat jump with 15lb medicine ball
20 x BW --> Done from as far away from the platform as possible

Farmer's Walk:
1 lap around the track (Approx 225m) first time with 50's then 45's

Side push passes with 15lb medicine ball --> Squat down ATF pick up ball and do a push pass to the side. 20 times per side.

All of the above was done twice. We were going to do some sprint work at the end of this but the gym closed at 5 (which neither of us had remembered) so we had to skip that part at the end. Too bad I don't live somewhere sunny where we could have done the cardio outside :p

Stumprrp
01-21-2007, 06:14 PM
this program is working well for you man

deeder
01-21-2007, 08:07 PM
this program is working well for you man

Well the GPP work isn't part of the program... But yeah, it is working well for me!

ddegroff
01-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Nice work, glad the program is working again this time around!

Sidior
01-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Real cool GPP stuff deed. When are nationals again?

deeder
01-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice work, glad the program is working again this time around!

Thanks bro!

Real cool GPP stuff deed. When are nationals again?

Thanks! Nationals are at the end of March.. I think the first day of lifting is the 29th.

Bob
01-22-2007, 07:52 AM
Hey Deeder.. GPP should always be part of the program..

Your new program looks like you are progressing.. can't wait until you set new PRs at Nationals.. GL..

deeder
01-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Hey Deeder.. GPP should always be part of the program..

Your new program looks like you are progressing.. can't wait until you set new PRs at Nationals.. GL..

Yeah I know what you mean. But I just meant it wasn't part of Korte's 3x3 :dj:

Here's today's workout:

Squats --> These absolutely killed me. The gpp work yesterday definately didn't help make these easy!

285lbs x 6 --> Wrecked... Just about had to drop it on the pins after six. Tossed on my belt and ripped out:
4 x (285lbs x 8)

Bench Press --> I was feeling REALLY REALLY sick after those squats. I definately thought I was going to hurl. This continued through all my sets of bench and the first couple sets of deadlifts

6 x ( 6 x 175lbs)

Deadlift:
5 x (5 x 280lbs) --> Thank god these were light!

ddegroff
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I know the feeling, glad to see you pushed through.

Nice work Deeder!

deeder
01-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Finally a good day!

Box Squat:
warmup
5 x ( 5 x 250lbs )

CGBP
warmup
6 x ( 5 x 175lbs )

Deadlift:
warmup
5 x ( 5 x 320lbs)

My gym is usually filled with skinny kids and curl jockeys but today there was a BIIIIIGG boy working out. He was deadlifting and the last set I saw before I left was 495lbs x 8. He was bouncing off the floor a fair amount and using straps but still DAMN impressive!