PDA

View Full Version : Are canned meats a good alternative?

SuperTerrorizer
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
I don't have a lot of time to cook so I've been buying canned chicken and turkey along with my tuna. Is this a good route to take when I don't have time to cook or buy a rotisserie chicken?

SuperTerrorizer
09-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Bump

growthrep
09-08-2006, 09:50 AM
I would watch the sodium content in your diet. I eat a can of tuna every day but anything else in the can (beans for example), I wash to get excess sodium off.

You could bake a turkey on the weekend and graze off of it all week.........

silverstar
09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Have you tryed cooking things in a crock pot? I like to put something in it and go do other things. Mine I can leave it for 4 hours or longer becuse it will cook for four hours and it will switch to warm and let it simmer. I cooked some cubed beef in it last week with bar b q sauce was real good. I like to make beef stew to and eat on it for a cupple days too. you can save your money on chicken and toss it in and cook it yourself too. I buy chicken breast and cook it in it and add caned chicken broth to it for flavor. You can look online for more idea's.

malkore
09-08-2006, 01:09 PM
why not cook 3-4 days worth of chicken in one session? steam 4 days worth of rice.

then you only really 'cook' twice a week (and only twice a week do you have dishes to wash like pots n pans)

VikingWarlord
09-09-2006, 09:21 AM
why not cook 3-4 days worth of chicken in one session? steam 4 days worth of rice.

then you only really 'cook' twice a week (and only twice a week do you have dishes to wash like pots n pans)

I love going this route. Sunday afternoon, I'll usually make a whole bunch of chicken/fish/whatever and eat off it the whole week. Then I portion it all out and I can just grab my lunch every day without having to think about it.

The sodium content in a lot of canned stuff is killer.

RedSpikeyThing
09-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Isn't sodium only a problem if you have a pre-existing blood pressure condition?

Con
09-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Umm, it might be, and also anyone who doesnt like sodium might wanna take a look at this: Salt (http://www.ast-ss.com/tips/2-8-99/2-8-99tip.htm)

VikingWarlord
09-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Isn't sodium only a problem if you have a pre-existing blood pressure condition?

Or if you don't but have a family history of blood pressure issues. Both my parents are on medication for hypertension.

Umm, it might be, and also anyone who doesnt like sodium might wanna take a look at this: Salt (http://www.ast-ss.com/tips/2-8-99/2-8-99tip.htm)

This doesn't really mean to go out and eat as much salt as you can. There's a whole hell of a lot of sodium (more than enough to reap those benefits) in canned foods. I like salt and everything, but there's way more than you need already contained in the foods you eat.

Con
09-09-2006, 03:45 PM
out of curiosity how much salt do you believe is needed?