PDA

View Full Version : frustrated. 2 weeks into a "cut" and my wife says i am looking too skinny!!!

bender73
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
WTF!!! Ahhhh!!!

i am keeping the calories down around 2,000 and working out hard 5 days/week. i am dropping fat but i am feeling like i am not getting more cut, but actually losing more muscle. i am keeping my protein up.

i thought that the more i cut down then the more my already established muscles would show...even if i was more skinny. i feel like i am overall starting to look less muscular after 2 weeks. i'm no rail, but it feels like this is where i am heading.

its like i am holding on to the small spare tire while my upper shoulders and arms are losing more mass. what can i do?

i am ready to say "f" it and head out to red robin tonight for a huge burger, fries, and some beer. my wife is telling me i need it. i have not really had a cheat meal in over 2 weeks.

i am just a little frustrated.

Eszekial
09-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Keep with it :D More than likely you are losing water weight and glycogen stored in your muscles.

Are you training heavy?

Built
09-07-2006, 04:33 PM
2 weeks is a good timeline for a cheat-meal. Limit it to an hour to minimize the damage, and train heavy tomorrow.

What do you weigh, how tall are you, and what is your programme like?

ddegroff
09-07-2006, 04:38 PM
How did you determine your cal intake for cutting?

How much weight have you lost in the two weeks?

Cheat meals are a good way to re-focus. All I would suggest is too eat the red robin on a lifting day.

Last thought is: Cutting takes time, effort, and PAITENANCE!

View 1
09-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Im still on my cut ( Since Dec 2005 ) and guess what I have lost strength, but now that the body fat is getting lower, more muscle is starting to show. Give it time. Im 5'9 started at 264 pounds and now I am at 203. My waist has gone down in inches, and so has my chest, arms and legs. But the muscle I have now is more defined from the fat being removed. I understand your stomach may be a problem area, it is for alot of people me included, but you should realize that it will take time for your stomach to get flat.

And like they are telling you LIFT HEAVY. That is why I lost strength, I should have been doing that months ago, but I can not take that back now.

Good luck to you.

PhilsterT
09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
No. I think you're doing it wrong. How much weight are you losing? I would try upping your calories.

arya202
09-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey Built if I'm a 15 year old that's 6 feet tall and 180 pounds with a bodyfat of like 12-15% would it be safe to say my maintenance is 3000. I've been losing alot of fat but havent really had strength losses on 2500 cals but I'm still scared it might be way to low even for a cut.

Built
09-07-2006, 06:23 PM
arya, read the diet link in my sig.

Only YOU can know what your maintenance calories are.

bender73
09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
thanks! well, i "chickened out" and had chicken with veggies for dinner. :D

i don't have the time to enter all my info in right now, but i am on a pretty good training regimen. i've been lifting for years and i am pretty fit. what i have not done is pay much attention to diet. i always thought i was eating healthy, but it was not at the level of people here. i definitely ate more healthy than probably 90% of the population, but i never watched my fats, carbs, protein, etc..

these last 2 weeks have been amazing in so far as i have definitely been suprised how in a mere 2 weeks i look better in a shirt that used to be too tight in the wrong areas. that said, its been a tough change. no more late night pizza and such. its all egg beaters, chicken, veggies, protein shakes, etc.. i also find myself shakey (low blood sugar) at times and i'm learing to adjust when i need to eat. i'm getting there. :)

i am 5'8" and 170lbs., but if you saw me in person you would guess i am 150lbs. and people tend to be suprised when i tell them i am 170lbs. - so, there is definitely lean muscle hiding within me. i look very fit, but not abercrombie and fitch-ish. that is really my goal. i don't want to be huge, but i want that model body with low BF% and decent muscle definition. you know, a BF% where you can see those lower obliques looking great in only underwear...my wife will like that!!! :)

my BMR is 1700-ish and i work-out 5x/week. my mistake might be that i am doing cardio a lot during this cut. even after lifting i have been doing 20 hard minutes on the brutal step climber. i probably require 2700 calories at least and my average over the last 2 weeks has been about 2000 calories. i even had to stop cardio last week because i was getting sick/dizzy. (sadly, i am a medical professional and i should know better).

this is a VERY rough work-out regimen post...

mon - chest/tri's/cardio
tue - cardio/abs
wed - back/bi's/cardio
thur - cardio/abs
fri - rest
sat - shoulders/cardio
sun - cardio or rest

my lifting regimen has worked for me, but i really am not showing the fruits of my labor as i have pretty much lingered at ~14-16% BF for years.

thanks for all your help!!! ...and please help me some more. :)

Built
09-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Okay, bender, have you looked at Baby Got Back and at the cutting link in my sig? If not, please do so.

Your BMR is really just a guess. I'd like to know your maintenance calories, as measured and tracked on fitday, or at least a reasonable estimate of them - was that what you meant by 2700?

Leave cardio to the end of your cut, for the bitter end where you simply cannot bear to lower calories any further, and even then, keep it minimal.

What rep range are you using?