arya202
09-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I mean in very basic terms.

Protien-Makes up your muscle
Carbs-Give you energy
Fat?:confused:

DoUgL@S
09-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Fats are an energy store, make up you cellular membranes and are used as the precursors to a lot of hormones.

PhilsterT
09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
I think fats gave you more energy than carbs because they're denser.

DoUgL@S
09-07-2006, 07:36 PM

Is this what you mean?

They are more energy "dense" because 1 g of fat = 9 cals vs 1 g carb = 4.

Holto
09-08-2006, 02:26 PM
We are basically made of fat and protein. All the cells in your body contain fat to some degree. Your skin and hair are made of collagen which is made of fat and protein.

Most of our hormones are made from fat also. The only exception I can think of is insulin. Fat is very important, you will die without it.

Unreal
09-08-2006, 02:41 PM
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/f_word.htm

Slim Schaedle
09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Is this what you mean?

They are more energy "dense" because 1 g of fat = 9 cals vs 1 g carb = 4.
Macronutrients don't "give energy" (result in production of ATP) because they "have" calories.

Nothing "has" calories. (it's just a measurement of heat energy produced when the macronutrient enters the appropriate pathway in order to produce ATP.

Fats "have" more calories because they are more reduced than other nutrients. This means a fatty acid has more hydrogen than that of, let's say, a protein molecule. (the term "reduced" seems a little contradictoy, but that is the scientific term)

More hydrogen = greater need for oxidation = more heat energy produced = assignment of higher calorie number

Slim Schaedle
09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
See my post above.

Slim Schaedle
09-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I mean in very basic terms.

Protien-Makes up your muscle
Carbs-Give you energy
Fat?:confused:
There are FAR more uses for protein than just that but I won't address it.

What Holto said is pretty much the gist of it without getting into details, since you wanted the basics.

Built
09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Slim, you rock my world.

:)

Holto
09-08-2006, 05:01 PM
All these slim and built people sure seem to know their stuff.

DoUgL@S
09-08-2006, 07:44 PM
If you look at his post he asked for a simple explanation. I did not feel the nead to go into the metabolic pathways that eventually lead to the energy they are equivalent to. For example, I do not know whether it would have been appropriate to go into fatty acid metabolism to try and clarify his non-sensical statement. But 1g of fat does provide the energy equivalent to 9 calories (or 9 Kcals to be more precise) by the making and breaking of bonds. ;)

Macronutrients don't "give energy" (result in production of ATP) because they "have" calories.

Nothing "has" calories. (it's just a measurement of heat energy produced when the macronutrient enters the appropriate pathway in order to produce ATP.

Fats "have" more calories because they are more reduced than other nutrients. This means a fatty acid has more hydrogen than that of, let's say, a protein molecule. (the term "reduced" seems a little contradictoy, but that is the scientific term)

More hydrogen = greater need for oxidation = more heat energy produced = assignment of higher calorie number