PDA

View Full Version : Minimizing lower back involvement on the deadlift

Mikael
09-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey guys,

I am more than a little concerned about my lower back but want to deadlift anyway - the safest possible way. So even if it means my maxes will go down, I want to de-emphasize the lower back as much as possible on my technique. Here's a little list of cues I came up with:

- start with bar as close to heels as possible
- always look up (d'oh)
- hips "more low than high", meaning torso slightly more vertical
- make sure back is never rounded during lift (d'oh)
- eccentric part of the lift should be very quick, almost dropping the bar

What do you think, and what would you add?

Natetaco
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
if you execute proper form and can handle the weight your lower back should be free from injury. A deadlift is going to involve your lower back no matter what.

mmnotch
09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
sounds like how your sapose to do them

Mikael
09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
if you execute proper form and can handle the weight your lower back should be free from injury. A deadlift is going to involve your lower back no matter what.

Yeah man I know it involves the lower back anyway, but depending on technique it can involve it a lot or not so much. Some of the techniques that involve the lower back more are also considered proper form, like starting with the bar above your toes or doing the eccentric part slowly... Those are the ones I want to avoid.

SkinnySadMan
09-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I heard "Don't Squat the weight" but that doesn't make any sense. It would be like doing a stiff leg deadlift lol.

It sucks for me I have to slowly lower the weight since I live in an apartment.

deeder
09-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Hey guys,

I am more than a little concerned about my lower back but want to deadlift anyway - the safest possible way. So even if it means my maxes will go down, I want to de-emphasize the lower back as much as possible on my technique. Here's a little list of cues I came up with:

- start with bar as close to heels as possible
- always look up (d'oh)
- hips "more low than high", meaning torso slightly more vertical
- make sure back is never rounded during lift (d'oh)
- eccentric part of the lift should be very quick, almost dropping the bar

What do you think, and what would you add?

Sounds pretty darn good to me man. Make sure your hips and the bar lift at about the same speed. I get my hips down about 6 inches above parallel and then by the time my legs are almost straight I'm in a perfect position to use my back to lockout.

You don't need to worry about your back if you use proper form. As long as you don't try to bump the weight too fast you'll be fine!

Oh, I read an article a while ago on t-nation that had 10 tips for proper deadlift form. I'll see if I can find it for you!

**Edit:
Here's the link: The Dead Zone (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744)

Mikael
09-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey thanks for the article deeder! It's pretty good, I actually read it before and I still laugh everytime thinking about the situation with Dave Tate teaching the 165lbs head trainer how to deadlift lol. There's even a followup where the 165lbs dude shows up to improve his bench press, it's hilarious.