PDA

View Full Version : So Close Yet So Far!

Bassist-Dude
09-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Been awhile since I've posted here and I doubt you people will remeber me but...

I am 5' 11'' (so close to six foot when I put on shoes I am 6') at 155lbs or so.
All the other stuff is in the sig.

I have a vertical jump of 1' 2 1/2'' which is i guess around 14 & 1/2 inch vertical.

I am only 2' 9'' away from dunking and I want to make it before Basketball starts at my High School. I think it starts around Christmas Time.

I know the Air Alert Programs work really well but Im flat broke saving for my bass guitar for band at school ( I know, I know. I need a job badly). So is there anything I can do aside from squats and deads to jack up my vertical quickly? I will do ANYTHING (except for roids...) to reach my goal. plyometrcis, power-lifting, you name it I'll do it.

Please post quickly as this is very important to me.

nhlfan
09-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I would do pylometrics and exercises that focus on explosive power; the olympic and power lifts.

expecting to be able to dunk by christmas is unrealistic, but you will be able to see large gains in your vertical by then. you are quite far off being able to dunk. to be able to dunk a basketball, some of your hand has to be above the rim as well.

you're still young though, you will be dunking by junior year if you keep up hard work. you'll probably also grow another few inches which will help immensely.

Bassist-Dude
09-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I figured dunking by Christmas wouldnt be happening.
Would a more realistic goal be to dunk by the end of Gr. 8?

Also, are there any specific lifts/exercises I should use?

Sensei
09-09-2006, 08:48 PM
I don't think you need to be doing anything fancy at 13... You certainly don't need plyos... Play a lot of basketball, jump a lot, eat well, get stronger.

McIrish
09-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Yeah, you'll have to have massive ups at 6'0 anyhow to dunk. Besides, at this point in your bball career, dunking is only good to impress the other kids on the playground. If you ever threw one down in a game on a break-away or something, most coaches would bench you for showboating and make you run wind sprints after practice until you forget what a dunk is. Work on your fundamentals. Also, you're 13 - I'm with Sensei on this one. Just worry about eating healthy and playing ball for now.

If you still want to dunk (for whatever reason, it's up to you), realize that you do need to elevate enough to get not only up to the rim but to get the BALL above the rim, too, so you'll need another 6-8 inches.

nhlfan
09-10-2006, 03:18 AM
I know a guy that's no more than 5'7 and can dunk, but he's ridiculously athletic. I'm talking 360 dunks and the whole works too.

that's besides the point though, it's more important that you work on your shooting and ball handling until you're a little bit older. Just being able to jump high wont get you very far.

RedSpikeyThing
09-10-2006, 09:08 AM
can you grab the rim? 6' plus arm length plus 2' jump should be pretty damn close to the rim....

I'm with everyone else on this one - eat well & play ball. Just improving at your general basketball skills will get you further than being able to dunk.

Bassist-Dude
09-10-2006, 12:43 PM
OK. I'll stick to the basics for now. It would be awesome to dunk on lunch break tho.

My shooting is anywhere from pretty to really good (depends on how seriously Im playing, games = serious lunchbreak = not serious) and my ball handling is pretty solid as well.

Lets take dunking out of the picture for now, if I was able to jump high enough to grab/almost grab the rim, how much would this help rebounding, blocking and shooting?

Hazerboy
09-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Looking at your lifts and your age, I would say you're not ready for any complicated training methods. Instead, work on squatting form (Go parallel or below, chest high, etc... ) Deadlifting form, and work on getting those two lifts up. After you learn how to deadlift well, learn how to powerclean. I would make it a goal to be able to squat your bodyweight, with excellent form, by christmas. You learn how to squat correctly now and continue working on your basketball skills, then by the time you get midway through high school you'll have an awesome vertical.

Remember also to stick with it - I know so many basketball players who give up weightraining or don't put up any effort because they don't want to get too bulky or don't see its use in basketball (when all you're doing is bench and curls, it doesn't have much use...). Some are still great basketball players, but their game could be so much better if they kept up with weighttraining.

dblockspky
09-10-2006, 03:34 PM
air alerts is easy to learn. and also easy to find leaked programs on the internet. however... to be honest.. if you DO finish air alerts which is extremely hard and takes tremendous dedication especially during school, you may have a chance at dunking by december. but it is highly unlikely that you will finish and I doubt you will be dunking by that time. best of luck to you though. i'm 6 even, been playing ball all my life, and i have a little over a 32 inch vert. but even with all those numbers i have yet to dunk on a regulation rim. I can do 360s with ease on a 9 foot rim but nothing on 10. maybe its mental... i dunno

Bassist-Dude
09-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah, one of my goals is to do the big three with my body weight.

Oh, you dont have to worry about me sticking with it. Aside from Bass Guitar and shooting hoops there is nothing to do but lift and get huge.

mikey4402
09-11-2006, 08:04 PM
remeber jumping isnt just in the legs, shoulders and abs come into play. im with everyone else forget the plyo right now. practice jumping and dunking on a lower rim. i use to do that all the time when i was a kid. my first dunk was during tryouts for the 8th grade team.