PDA

View Full Version : Keep bulking or cut? Advice please!

Beno79
09-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I started lifting weights in april 2006, and weighed in at a mighty 155lbs (skinny, no real muscle) at 5'10. Ive been bulking since then following chris masons 15lbs in a month plan, then wbb1.

I now weigh 185lbs, so thats 30lbs in about 5 months ish. However Ive put on quite a lot of fat doing this... I much prefer being bigger, but the gut is starting to annoy me!

I dont have 'before' pics, but here's some 'after' ones, flexed/unflexed.

So, should i stick with it? Or Cut?

Thanks!

Bohizzle
09-11-2006, 10:20 AM
keep bulking, but slow it down a lot, eat just a few hundred cals over maintenance, and shoot for +1lb every week or two, that'll help minimize fat gain while still increasing muscle mass.

Andrew

KarateBoy
09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I would say cut.

At lower bf, you gain more muscle less fat thereby making you look better sooner and gaining more muscle faster.

Beno79
09-11-2006, 12:57 PM
any idea what bf% i am?

Bohizzle
09-11-2006, 01:01 PM
i'd say 18-20%

Sidior
09-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I would also guess just under 20

growthrep
09-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd cut. Look into HIIT. You should look good after a sound cut. Then clean bulk, cut again, rinse, repeat.................

RickTheDestroyer
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
keep bulking, but slow it down a lot, eat just a few hundred cals over maintenance, and shoot for +1lb every week or two, that'll help minimize fat gain while still increasing muscle mass.

This is the only good advice in this thread. I agree with the bf estimates.

JoeG
09-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I think a nice and very slow bulk might be a good idea. I mean really, really slow and lift heavy like a mad man.

Beno79
09-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Cheers for the replies! Im getting quite conflicting advice though...

I dont think the belly is too bad at the moment, but Im concerned that if i keep bulking it will just get bigger and bigger!

To be honest, I havent tracked my calories in the slightest. I decided to bulk up, then started eating everything and anything, wherever and whenever, whilst lifting weights 3 times a week.

I may continue to bulk, but cut out all the crap I eat, like huge mountains of curry!

Do you think Id look weird at 200 pounds? I only ask as i come from a family of naturally slim people, im now the heaviest by a fair bit already!

Any more advice would be appreciated, as Im still on the fence. :)

Invain
09-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes, your gonna get conflicting advise. We all have different perceptions of what "high body fat" is, and what kind of body we think looks right. You can get some good ideas from the forums, but the decision whether to bulk or cut has to be yours.

If you really wanna get bigger and don't mind getting chubby, then go for it and bulk up.

If you can't stand your body fat as it is, and couldn't think of gaining any more weight, then cut.

Beno79
09-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I think i may continue bulking, but just try and eat better, cut out deserts and junk etc.

What sort of weight do you think I should aim for before cutting? Or should bf% dictate that?

Bohizzle
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
cut when u feel u are getting too fat/are not comfortable with ur level of bf. if ur health becomes an issue, by all means cut, but don't cut just cuz "it's healthy to be anorexic".

Andrew

Mik
09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
At lower bf, you gain more muscle less fat thereby making you look better sooner and gaining more muscle faster.

:scratch:

Sidior
09-12-2006, 02:03 PM
:scratch:

It is something to do with how your body puts on muscle at a greater ratio to fat based on bf levels or something. Lyle wrote a whole bunch about it on his board, check it out.

bloodninja
09-12-2006, 02:23 PM
I would say cut.

That makes no sense at all.

I say continue on with the bulk, but cut back on the cals a bit. Winter is coming and you'll have no reason to walk around with a shirt off anyway.

Sidior
09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
That makes no sense at all.

I say continue on with the bulk, but cut back on the cals a bit. Winter is coming and you'll have no reason to walk around with a shirt off anyway.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core3.htm

read this

Invain
09-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Uh, Sidio, I know what your talking about, but how did you get that from his post. Not denying what you said, but karateboy's post didn't make any sense...

Sidior
09-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Uh, Sidio, I know what your talking about, but how did you get that from his post. Not denying what you said, but karateboy's post didn't make any sense...

Ya, he typed like a ****tard but I thought that was the point he was trying to make. I gave him the benefit of the doubt:redface:

bloodninja
09-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Ya, he typed like a ****tard but I thought that was the point he was trying to make. I gave him the benefit of the doubt:redface:

Read that before, but the way he said it was just far too general and still doesn't really work for me. Oh well, close enough I guess.

RickTheDestroyer
09-13-2006, 09:41 AM
I would be inclined to agree that partioning tends to be better for people who start leaner (I'll trust Lyle on this one), but the bottom line is this: if someone who's nearly 6' tall and weighs 170 pounds tells you to cut, then that individual almost certainly has different goals from someone who is trying to get big(ger), and any advice given by said individual should be considered within this context.

Beno: Do a slower bulk. Use Fitday. Find your maintenance, bump your calories up slowly, and learn to target a lot of your carbs/calories around workouts.

MixmasterNash
09-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Lift heavy weights at least 4x a week. Do some cardio and/or HIIT. Eat more protein and less carbs.

Beno79
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Ive read all of that article by Lyle now, and found it quite interesting. Assuming im 18-20% bf, I definetely need to cut down to 10-12% according to that article.

Has anyone here cut from 20% to 10% in one go? How long did it take?

Personally I dont feel quite ready to cut, the prospect of dieting is not appealing!

Im still leaning towards bulking for a little longer, exactly how long for im not sure? Any thoughts?

ArchAngel777
09-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I cut down from about 34% to 15% in one shot... Towards the end, I really lost focus. It ended up being a 7 month cut -- too long -- in my opinion. For 6 weeks after that cut I ate around 5,000 calories a day and gained about 20 pounds (12 of which were fat)... Then I started a cut again. So, I started back around 20% and am back down to about 15% after two months.

I think going from 20% to 10% in one shot is going to be difficult... The leaner you are, the hungrier you are it seems.

Beno79
09-13-2006, 12:44 PM
I cut down from about 34% to 15% in one shot... Towards the end, I really lost focus. It ended up being a 7 month cut -- too long -- in my opinion. For 6 weeks after that cut I ate around 5,000 calories a day and gained about 20 pounds (12 of which were fat)... Then I started a cut again. So, I started back around 20% and am back down to about 15% after two months.

I think going from 20% to 10% in one shot is going to be difficult... The leaner you are, the hungrier you are it seems.

did you lose much muscle on such a big cut?

And do most people here agree that im 20%bf?

ArchAngel777
09-14-2006, 08:35 AM
did you lose much muscle on such a big cut?

And do most people here agree that im 20%bf?

I didn't lose an ounce of visible muscle.

Yes, you look about 20% +/- ~2%

John04Civic
09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I think you are about 18-20% also Beno.

I say keep bulking. I'm going to 225 from 179.

I can tell you look like you have an "Ectomorph" type body. We will need a lot of bulking :(

Personally, I'd hit 200 before the cut, but thats me.

I have read a LOT around here when you have more muscle mass its much easier to cut because you need more calories to maintain your LBM.

Beno79
09-15-2006, 02:23 AM
That sounds good to me. I think i would like to aim for 200lbs before cutting, then see if i can drop some of this excess baggage!