PDA

View Full Version : protein shake question...

Slushy
09-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Is there one that is better than others or some I should avoid? I'm trying to improve my diet (I don't usually eat breakfast) and figured that would be a quick way to get going in the morning. thanks....

getfit
09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
nitrean
http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=1

Slushy
09-11-2006, 01:12 PM
thanks, are the powder ones better than the ready made ones? Is there a significant difference because I was hoping to find one I could just grab and drink on my way to work.

Anthony
09-11-2006, 01:16 PM
You'd have to compare specific products to determine if one was better than the other.

Slushy
09-11-2006, 02:49 PM
thanks, what should I be looking for?

Holto
09-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Is there one that is better than others or some I should avoid? I'm trying to improve my diet (I don't usually eat breakfast) and figured that would be a quick way to get going in the morning. thanks....

The shake itself = Horrible Idea

You must have some fiber in your first meal.

The shake with some ground oatmeal thrown in and a healthy fat like olive oil = Breakfast Of Champions

Slushy
09-11-2006, 03:30 PM
so just some oatmeal mixed into a protein shake and then pour some olive oil in it? How much? Sorry for seeming so ignorant, but this is definitely a topic I know almost nothing about.

Unreal
09-11-2006, 03:40 PM
As much oats/olive oil as you need to meet your daily macro goals. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you have alot more reading to do. Read all the diet stickies and best of. Read the articles on the main page. Read all of John Bernardis articles on nutrition.

Supplements are there to supplement a proper diet. Get that on track first then look into supplements.

leveque
09-11-2006, 04:54 PM
In the long run, protein powder would be a lot cheaper than ready made ones.

Holto
09-11-2006, 05:11 PM
so just some oatmeal mixed into a protein shake and then pour some olive oil in it? How much? Sorry for seeming so ignorant, but this is definitely a topic I know almost nothing about.

The only thing that would be ignorant is not asking bro.

Get a coffee grinder for $10 it will be the best investment you ever make. Then you can grind the oats and they will go down nice in the shake. With milk and a spoonfull of Olive Oil it will be nice and thick so the oats will be un-noticable.

Another popular idea is to put peanut butter in it but I have never been able to make that work taste wise.

If you have time to sit down and eat the oats go great raw in a bowl with chocolate protein powder. I do it each morning.

Anthony
09-12-2006, 07:46 AM

Right now you should be thinking about the big picture and not one particular meal. Learn to describe the following before thinking about supplements:

- Calorie
- Protein
- Fat
- Carbohydrate
- Maintenance Calories

I know it seems like a pain in the ass, but you need to know this stuff if you are looking to structure your eating habits and make changes to your physique or performance. The good news is that all of those topics are covered in depth on this site, along with information on how much you need, why you need it, where to get it, etc. Just do a little bit of homework so you have the basics down and it will be a lot easier for us to answer more specific questions for you.

Slushy
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
cool, thanks for all the responses...much appreciated