PDA

View Full Version : Water Intake

viperc8
09-11-2006, 02:55 PM
Is it possible to drink too much water? I've heard some stuff that if you drink too much then nutrients wont properly be distributed throughout the body...any truth to that?

Eszekial
09-11-2006, 03:15 PM
It's possible, but highly, highly, unlikely... Like, unless someone shoves a hose down your throat, it's never going to happen.

Don't worry about all that nutrient crap. Water is SUPPOSED to flush out excess and toxins. Drink until your urine is clear, period.

clawhammer_33
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
I drink 3 gallons a day, I'm still alive.

malkore
09-12-2006, 12:38 PM
you pretty much have to force yourself to drink several gallons in a short time span. its called Hyponatremia

the real issue is it dilutes the electrolytes in your body, causing stuff to misfire, or not fire...hence its common name is 'water intoxication'.

this is also the reason that Gatorade, which contains electrolytes, is indeed good for endurance athletes like tri-athletes, marathon runners, etc.

Guido
09-13-2006, 09:03 AM
The drill sergeants in basic training were so gung-ho about making sure guys would not get dehydrated, they'd make sure you drank your full canteen (1 quart) of water every 15 minutes when doing something physical. You'd have to hold it upside down over your head, and if anything came out you were in deep sh*t. One guy didn't drink all his and they made him continuously drink out of a 5 gallon water jug. Eventually, the guy puked from so much water and was visibly sick to his stomach. So yes, it's possible to drink too much water. I've seen it happen.

MixmasterNash
09-13-2006, 09:28 AM
you pretty much have to force yourself to drink several gallons in a short time span. its called Hyponatremia

the real issue is it dilutes the electrolytes in your body, causing stuff to misfire, or not fire...hence its common name is 'water intoxication'.

this is also the reason that Gatorade, which contains electrolytes, is indeed good for endurance athletes like tri-athletes, marathon runners, etc.

All exactly correct. Only long distance endurance athletes really have to worry.