PDA

View Full Version : In need of a massive cut!

Par58
09-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Hello all, I'm new to this forum but have been browsing the forums for a couple of days now and I've finally decided to post about my goals and questions.

I guess to start off I'm 18 yrs old and about 260 lbs. I lifted pretty seriously for the first 3yrs of high school but stopped my senior year to focus on getting into a good college. Sense I've gotten the college part out of the way I really want to get back into shape. Why looking over the forums and trying to learn I'm alittle confused as to what is the best diet to use for sheer wieght loss. I love to lift but its not my main priority as of yet. Right now I'm a member of a gym where i do about 30 min of cardio each day and in late Sept I head off to school where there is a nice gym and a fairly healthy cafeteria.

For the last week I've been sort of chaocically trying to diet, mainly eating chicken, tuna, and fruits. I've created a fitday but am still getting used to it. Currently I'm hoping to get some feedback as to what is the best diet or percentages of Fat/Protien/Carbs so i can formulate a diet and get to work.

Any help with directions toward the right way would really be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

(If any other info is needed please ask)

Unreal
09-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Read Built's cutting guide. If your are really fat you can probably drop cals a bit more then a lean person. Shoot for maybe 15-20% below maintence and see how it goes. Ratios are not needed. Shoot for 1g protein/lbm and .5g fat/lbm. Fill the rest with whatever makes you feel good.

And lift, hard, heavy and compound. I wish I would have done that alot sooner when I was losing weight.

Par58
09-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey Unreal thanks for the quick reply. Im having some diff locating that guide. I was searching Built's threads and the only thing that looked like it might be right is this http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63899 . Is that right? Sorry to be teh newb

P.S. After look through you profile Unreal i was wondering if there were any supplements that would help lose wieght.

Con
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
supplements are extra. NO AMOUNT OF SUPPLEMENTS will help is your diet and routine are crap. Get the basics down and then think about extras(supplements).

Unreal
09-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I lost 80lbs before ever touching a supplement. Diet and a proper routine are the key. I did weights 4 times a week and cardio for 20-30 minutes daily when I was really fat while going on a calorie limited, high protein diet. Looking back I wish I hit compounds and real lifts earlier instead of messing with machines and light leg work.

If you would have read the top stickie with the best of, it list several good threads including the one I was talking about.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74607

Par58
09-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks a ton Unreal.. I read that sticky but can't explain why I didn't see that post. Is there any good LBM and maintenance Calorie calculator? The couple I have done has given me some skewed answers. So far I've gotten answers ranging from 2600-3200 as my daily calorie needs, although I wonder if this takes into the account of the overweightness. As of now I'm thinking of aiming for about 2300-2400 cal a day (depending of my daily needs) with mostly protein and fat. Thanks you guys I'm really pumped about this.

ddegroff
09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Eat 2400 cals for a week, if you lose 1-2lbs then keep eating that. If you dont lose then lower the cals until you lose 1-2lbs a week.

bL33d
09-13-2006, 10:02 AM
make sure you eat alot of protein and exercise. I have lost 80 pounds in 4 monthes but for the first 3 monthes i was doing it way wrong, 2 bowles of cereal a day and small dinner :(

Thanks to alot of nice people here i am eating about 1800-2000 cal a day and now im getting around 150g or more a day of protein aswell. Its amazing what you can learn from a message board! :clap:

Par58
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Ya Bl33d.. Ive actually been counting calories the last few days with fitday and i'm suprised by how much stuff I have to eat to actually get even close to 2400. I usually have a banana and some egg whites in the morning then Chicken/tuna the rest of the (split up into 4 meals or so). Im still learning what foods to eat/times to eat. But as of now its kinda limited.

I did my first compound workout as ya said Unreal.. Crap im sore lol. Is 5x5 heavey enough for the compounds?

Unreal
09-13-2006, 12:59 PM
5x5 has nothing to do with weights. Heavy is different for everyone. Squatting 135 could be heavy for you, but is warmup/light for me. Just make sure your workouts are intense and heavy for you.

bL33d
09-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Ya Bl33d.. Ive actually been counting calories the last few days with fitday and i'm suprised by how much stuff I have to eat to actually get even close to 2400. I usually have a banana and some egg whites in the morning then Chicken/tuna the rest of the (split up into 4 meals or so). Im still learning what foods to eat/times to eat. But as of now its kinda limited.

Ya if u aint eating cake,ice cream and fast food... :P Takes alot of tuna and chicken to make up those cals lol! I prob eat more now then i did when i ate crappy food.

Par58
09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
exactly man lol.. Im actually fuller now than ive been before.. Those kirkland cans of chicken make it alot easier though... plus hot sauce! when i get some time later Im gonna look into fish oil b/c it seems im having a hard time getting any fat at all(staying away from all Sat Fat). For carbs im eating oatmeal bread.. pretty good but not alot of fiber...

Oh and are beans cool? I am eating raw/cooked Great Northern beans

CrazyK
09-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Key is to take it slow bro. I prefer the low fat, moderate carb, high protein approach. Usually I'll first just cut out all junk for 2 weeks...then lower my cals to 12x bodyweight,...then to 10x bodyweight...hold as long I am still dropping fat...then add some cardio...THEN add supplements. By the end of that usually I'd have only needed to use supplements for about 3 weeks and I'm at the goal :)

Par58
09-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks about how ive been eating the last few days.. Been really low fat, I'm avoiding all sat fat.. Fish Oil is good to add to bring it up some correct?

Unreal
09-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Sat fat in moderation has benefits. It helps promote test production and other stuff. I wouldn't completely avoid it, just limit it.

Par58
09-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Would going for the Daily Value of the typical 2000cal person be too much? Or if ya have a gram answer that would work. Most of the stuff im eating has .5 g per serving.

CrazyK
09-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Would going for the Daily Value of the typical 2000cal person be too much? Or if ya have a gram answer that would work. Most of the stuff im eating has .5 g per serving.It really all depends on you. Like my trainer said...who is a former IFBB pro...if you can come on stage eating 6k cals a day of mcdonald's, ice cream, and pizza looking shredded then do it. Calories all depend on the person.