PDA

View Full Version : Deployed Marine needs advice for gaining weight

naterjy03
09-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been reading these forums for about a week now and decided I would finally post here. I'm in the Marine Corps infantry and am deployed to Iraq until February. I've always been a skinny guy with a crazy high metabolism, 6'1 150 lbs. I started lifting seriously about a month before I deployed, that would have been in June. I had some good weight gains in that month, got up to 160, but due to alot of patrolling in full combat gear in summertime Iraq heat I lost alot of that in July and August. I recently had to change jobs due to sustaining two fairly serious concussions caused by run-ins with a roadside bomb and a suicide bomber on two consecutive days and now have found myself with alot of extra time to lift. I'm back to 150lbs again and want to gain some serious mass. The main issue here is nutrition, eating enough to successfully bulk/gain mass. We often have to eat MRE's(Meals ready to eat), and usually can only get one MRE per meal. Is it possible to bulk on a diet like that? Or will I just have to wait until I get back to the States to do any serious bulking? I fear I may have to wait until I get back to the US to make any significant gains :(. I've tried to compensate for the relatively small amount of food available per meal by drinking 5 or more protein shakes every day, taking meal replacement supplements, and eating any snack I come across. I just recently started buying tuna fish packets to try and get a little added food intake, but they aren't consistently available here, the store sells out quickly. Supplement-wise I've been taking whatever my mom sends me: GNC pro-performance whey protein, some GNC weightgainer, Cellmass after workouts, and have tried some GNC meal replacement packets.
The internet just became available to me recently and I've told my mom thanks but to stop sending me supplements and that I can do it on my own now. So I need some advice. I can order any supplement available over the internet, money is not an issue. Can anyone recommend some good supplements for building mass? Also, are the meal replacement packets a good idea considering my situation? Any other advice is welcome, I'm new to this and know I have alot to learn.

I've been doing the WWB routine #1 for about a month now and have seen some good strength gains but minimal mass gains.

Thanks.

Unreal
09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
You simply need to eat more. A MRP is a good option for you. I would order a bunch of opticen. Keep upping your cals till you gain weight. It is as simple as that.

And thanks for serving.

naterjy03
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Unreal,
Thanks, kind of what I figured. I will continue with the MRP's and see how it goes. And I'll try and be a little more determined to scavenge up some food :).

Thanks.

ddegroff
09-13-2006, 03:39 PM
I thought MRE's are full of cals, eat as many as you can.

Opticen would be great not sure if At large would ship it to Iraq, but im sure they would try to work it out.

Like Unreal said eat more. In your situation just eat, eat, eat!

naterjy03
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
ddegroff,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the MRE's have alot of calories. I have a really, really killer metabolism though. My roommate is 6' 215ish, he and I bulked hard before we deployed and he was amazed at how much I ate and how little changed. I'm looking into the Opticen now, thanks for the recommendations guys.

gopher
09-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Naterjy03 Thank you for your service! I pray that you stay safe and come home soon.
As for gaining mass I'll just echo what has already been said, eat eat eat! What you need above all else is a surplus of calories. MRPs or protein powders are nice for getting extra protein but if you are not maintaining a calorie surplus you will not gain weight. Shovel those MREs in.

naterjy03
09-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your prayers and advice Gopher. Did some thinking and some more looking around WBB site and found some calorie intake recommendations. Going to start doing my best to hoarde as many MRE's as I can and keep my caloric intake at at least 25 calories per pound of BW. Also order some Opticen. Thanks everyone for the recommendations, will let you guys know how it turns out.