PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian--->tuna eater?

teaturtle
09-13-2006, 05:23 PM
I dont eat any meat and i havent for 2-3 years. But i need to get in a lot more protein and i know tuna has a lot and it tastes good to me.

But im not sure if i should break my morals to get a higher protein intake..

getfit
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
do you eat eggs?

cottage cheese, tofu,milk etc...

teaturtle
09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
yes, ive been eating a lot of dairy lately but im kinda lactose intolerant (get it from my dad) so i cant eat a lot of it. so i cant eat enough of it to get atleast 140g protein ..

Con
09-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Protein powder or start eatin meat.

PUMPER
09-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I looked at your pics...you have an awesome body and are off to a great start in my opinion. I have to agree with getfit and con...you either sway over to the dark side or learn to cook eggs seven ways to sunday!

Do you mind me asking what you mean by "morals" when it comes to eating meat? You don't have to go into it, just curious and interested?

teaturtle
09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
well i dont eat meat because i dont like killing animals just for my hunger, makes me feel selfish..i dunno.. but i can try tuna only. maybe ill give it a try when i get the courage heeh. and thanks.

ddegroff
09-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I know vegetarians that eat fish, but no other meats.

Eggs and whey are probaby your best bet.

Spourk
09-13-2006, 07:33 PM
not trying to be a prick , (and i understand what you mean) but i look at it as hey if i dont eat them something else will. Animals eat animals, no stopping it. Bear catches fish , bear eats fish , bear is happy. OR Bear doesnt catch fish bear doesnt eat , bear is sad. AND hungry.

PUMPER
09-13-2006, 08:22 PM
well i dont eat meat because i dont like killing animals just for my hunger, makes me feel selfish..i dunno.. but i can try tuna only. maybe ill give it a try when i get the courage heeh. and thanks.

Ok...I can respect that...soooo did you enjoy eating chicken when you were still eating meat. I mean I think of it as a bird, not much of a beast or animal...and it is very clean meat...especially if it is only grain fed. Sorry, back to my question...did you like chicken, or do you ever miss it?

PhilsterT
09-13-2006, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't travel down this road. Once you break a rule you won't stop. Why can't you use more protein powders? (If you do break it, make sure to set limitations, or just give up on being a vegetarian.)

TheGimp
09-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Sounds like you're not eating enough of the right foods or protien powder.

Personally I am a vegetarian first and foremost and then a body builder, but it's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

UnknownSoldier
09-14-2006, 12:51 AM
hahahah.. your like me :D
I had the same dilema ;D
I just blend my oatmeal with water and protein power ;D...

cept I don't eat meat just because i find the way that it's processed to be disgusting.

Mr. D
09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Im a vegetarian and i get over 200g of protein a day. Why dont you take lactaid everytime you consume dairy.

teaturtle
09-14-2006, 10:57 AM
I have tried lactaid and all it does is upset my stomach more and makes me bloated sooo I dunno. I eat dairy anyway and deal w/ the stomach aches but its still not enough to get the protein.

Pumper - Chicken is the worst meat to me. I'll never eat it again blech..it just makes me feel sick thinking about it. And hamburgers. Last time i had one i got sick and threw up so bad history heh. But Im only willing to try tuna.

teaturtle
09-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Also, I can't stand whey :(

It just doesnt taste good to me.. unless I cook it in like cookies or soemthing.

TheGimp
09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
What about meat substitutes? Products by brands such as Boca, Yves and Quorn are excellent sources of high quality vegetarian protein.

teaturtle
09-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Yeah I used to eat a lot of those until I heard protein from soy wasn't good ??

malkore
09-14-2006, 11:43 AM
I never understood how vegetarianism was a moral thing. God, Buddah, Allah, Xenu....whoever or whatever put us here, put the animals here for us to eat..put plants here to feed the animals so we could eat.

as for soy protein...there's too much conflicting research about it right now for me to take a stance either way. Thus I take the stance of 'that which isn't fully known is probably best avoided'. I don't freak out if something has soy in it, but I do not seek soy out and do try to limit intake...which isnt' too hard to do.

TheGimp
09-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Such concerns are almost exclusively to do with men - e.g. increased risk of prostate cancer or reduced testosterone levels (and there are studies which suggest these fears are unfounded such as these (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=82450&highlight=soy+testosterone)).

Nevertheless if you still want to avoid soy (and my personal strategy is to only eat it infrequently) then go for Quorn products. They're soy free.

teaturtle
09-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Quorn??????

TheGimp
09-14-2006, 11:51 AM
www.quorn.com

What country do you live in? :) Helps to narrow down what choices are available to you.

teaturtle
09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
USA :S

Might be the reason why Ive never heard of it.

TheGimp
09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
You guys can still get it over there, just not as wide a range as we have here in the UK.

hemants
09-18-2006, 07:33 AM
The moral issue is one only you can answer. I would say this, it's admirable that you're even thinking about it. The way I see it, there is no perfect non-violence. I realized this as I was killing 5 bugs per hour on my windshield yesterday flying down the highway.

You don't have to eat meat or fish to get enough protein. But your situation may be unique.

If you get the bulk of your protein from Tuna, you put yourself at risk of mercury poisening so you have solved one problem and created another.

Learn to like whey shakes - mix it up a bit, get one of those magic bullet blenders. And don't be afraid of Soy - there are plenty of soy protein sources that are low in soy isoflavones.

Benji
09-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I'v never understood why vegetarians can't eat meat but eat fish. Isnt it the same situation? I know you say you don't like to kill animals to supply your needs to eat but the same applys to fish doesnt it?

TheGimp
09-18-2006, 11:59 AM
I'v never understood why vegetarians can't eat meat but eat fish. Isnt it the same situation? I know you say you don't like to kill animals to supply your needs to eat but the same applys to fish doesnt it?

I don't eat fish.

People who eat fish aren't vegetarians.

teaturtle
09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't eat fish.

People who eat fish aren't vegetarians.

Yeah. I wouldnt consider myself vegetarian if I did eat fish.

But since there are many fish I thought maybe it'd be a little okay if I could handle the look and taste. But I can't. I've decided not to, and I'm back on whey + milk shakes now. :nod:

Powdered_Power
09-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Meat is never going to be a compulsory part of your diet, it can easily be subsituted with enough milk, eggs, cheese, fish, nuts etc

RedSpikeyThing
09-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I'd look into making my own blend of protein powder..

There is a vegan protein powder called Vega. It was designed and created by a vegan athlete and contains only plant products. Check it out here: http://www.myvega.com/main.asp

Bodybuilder2007
01-25-2007, 05:00 AM

Theyre already dead when you buy them. If you dont eat them, someone else will.