PDA

View Full Version : Too much Vitamin A

MagnaSephiroth
09-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Watching programs, and reading up a little bit, I saw that too much vitamin A is bad. It can cause, ultimately, liver cancer. I heard 70% -100% is the ideal value. My multi vitamin has 100% Vitamin A, but throughout the day I eat other Vitamin A heavy foods. My energy bars are 40% a peice, and some other foods go up to 50% per serving. If I don't watch what I eat, I could easily eat 300% DV of Vitamin A. Usually I eat well over 100%, being careful, around 150%. Am I at a huge risk? If I eat a lot of VA heavy foods should I just skip the multi vitamin pill for the day?

CanadianBad
09-17-2006, 02:03 PM
good question....

The recommended safe upper limit of retinol is 3000 mcg (9900 IU) per day. This includes all sources of retinol, including foods such as liver, dietary supplements such as cod liver oil and vitamin A supplements, fortified foods such as cereals, and multivitamins.

CanadianBad
09-17-2006, 02:07 PM
A google search will proboly answer most of your questions. Your liver can hold 2 years worth of vitamin a, to much vitamin a will give your skin and eyes a yellow tinge. I wouldnt worry about it to much.

Holto
09-17-2006, 06:14 PM
The 100% guideline is the MINNIMUM requried to prevent disease.

That said Vitamin A is not something you want to take too much of. Canadian Bad summed it up nicely.

MagnaSephiroth
09-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Should I continue taking Multi Vitamins everyday, even when I consume High amounts of VA? Or should i take the vitamin pill every other day so my body doesnt overload on VA. If 100% is the minimum, then 150-200% really isnt that bad... or I hope so.

Holto
09-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Start tracking your daily total of retinol.

I think beta carotene is water soluble. Its the fact that A is fat soluble that makes it possible to over do it.

You could switch to a multi that is lower in actual retinol and has a carotenoid complex.