PDA

View Full Version : Are dark chocolate MnMs a good post workout meal?

arya202
09-16-2006, 01:36 PM
For the glucose in them? I love the things and my mom got a huge pack from costco.

If not howbout glucose tablets that diabetics take?

Oh and why exactly does everyone take glucose post workout? How much does it help in the grand scheme of things?

Turnip
09-16-2006, 05:50 PM
I didnt know people took glucose, dont they normally just take caffeine pills or something.

arya202
09-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah it's the new craze here. So I thought what's good for WBB members is good for me. Just want to gain some more knowledge though first.

RedSpikeyThing
09-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I didnt know people took glucose, dont they normally just take caffeine pills or something.

*sigh*

Take caffeine BEFORE workout to have energy during.

No, M&Ms are not what you're looking for. You are correct in needing the glucose (aka dextrose, maltodextrin) post workout. This is to restore the depleted glycogen stores, I believe. However, plain sugar, such as that found in candy, is not glucose - it is sucrose. Sucrose is formed of glucose and fructose. Fructose, for reasons beyond my comprehension, is not good for you.

Turnip
09-17-2006, 04:34 AM
O ya I thought he said pre workout, my bad. Anyways would this stuff help?

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/nmdrugprofiles/nutsupdrugs/lgl_0125.shtml
http://www.lowcarbmuscle.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-81.html

K1M
09-17-2006, 05:45 AM
Just buy some dextrose and chocolate flavoured whey. It will be the sweetest thing you have ever tried.

mickyjune26
09-17-2006, 08:35 AM
FYI - corn sugar = pure dextrose

It took me a while to figure out where to get dextrose. Hope this helps,

RedSpikeyThing
09-17-2006, 10:04 AM
FYI - corn sugar = pure dextrose

It took me a while to figure out where to get dextrose. Hope this helps,

Even the stuff at the grocery store? I thought it was sucrose!

TheGimp
09-17-2006, 10:25 AM
glucose (aka dextrose, maltodextrin)

Glucose and maltodextrin are not the same thing. Maltodextrin is a rapidly digesting complex carbohydrate that is recommended for post-workout consumption in conjunction with dextrose because it is not nearly as sweet. Pure dextrose can be overpowering.

arya202
09-17-2006, 11:38 AM
How much dextrose should I put in my shake and does it have to be water based or can it be milk based?

Holto
09-17-2006, 11:45 AM
#1 Reason is to halt the proteolytic (tissue breakdown) action of cortisol.

Other benefits are restoring blood glucose levels and liver glycogen.

Yeah it's the new craze here.

It might seem new but we've been doing it for years.

Holto
09-17-2006, 11:47 AM
How much dextrose should I put in my shake and does it have to be water based or can it be milk based?

Water generally wins for taste. I'm not sure about dex and milk. The milk will slow down the gastric emptying. Generally the idea is to get it in as quickly as possible, hit the showers and have a solid meal.

If you can get that solid meal soon after training I say go with water so you are hungry for the meal. If for example, you live far away from the gym, the milk will hold you over better.

arya202
09-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Water generally wins for taste. I'm not sure about dex and milk. The milk will slow down the gastric emptying. Generally the idea is to get it in as quickly as possible, hit the showers and have a solid meal.

If you can get that solid meal soon after training I say go with water so you are hungry for the meal. If for example, you live far away from the gym, the milk will hold you over better.

Alright cool so preferably water because the whole point of this is to digest as fast as possible?:scratch:

Still don't know how much to put in there:(

Holto
09-18-2006, 12:17 AM
Alright cool so preferably water because the whole point of this is to digest as fast as possible?

Generally. Alot of people think it *has* to be as fast as possible. My logic is it takes a few days for recovery to occur and your body is not building muscle in the time right after a workout. There are other phases of recovery that must happen first.

Still don't know how much to put in there

Dextrose: 50-75 grams

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Generally. Alot of people think it *has* to be as fast as possible. My logic is it takes a few days for recovery to occur and your body is not building muscle in the time right after a workout. There are other phases of recovery that must happen first.Yeah, like sleeping. :thumbup:

Turnip
09-18-2006, 01:19 AM
So your saying people worry to much about post workout nutrition?

Holto
09-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Yeah, like sleeping. :thumbup:

Sleep is actually not one of the states, though it is important.

The first state is the re-establishment of energy stores. ATP/CP specifically.

The second is getting the actual bits of damaged fibers out of the cell. This involves dissolving the bits enzymatically to make them small enough to exit the cell membrane.

When all of this is done the actual building can begin.

It's the influx of amino's that is important after a workout. The protien you eat for the next few days will be what makes you grow.

So your saying people worry too much about post workout nutrition?

Some people do yes.

Especially in the context of thinking that they have to get the whole shake out of the stomach as soon as possible.

If the shake takes an extra 15 minutes to clear the stomach it's not going to effect your gains.