PDA

View Full Version : How common are MMA training facilites?

wdjuqi
09-17-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm going to be going off the college soon, however, I have no clue if there's MMA training places around the college I'm going to. Actually, I'm currently undecided which college I'm going to attend. As the title says, how common are MMA places in the US? Hopefully there will be one near whichever college I pick. I REALLY want to learn MMA for self-defense.

offhegoes03
09-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Depends on the college you're going to, but I'm sure most moderately big to big schools will have a wide variety of clubs to choose from. Not sure if there will be a specific MMA club, but there might be a boxing club, a judo club, a BJJ club, etc. My school has a "BJJ" club, but we also do Muay Thai kickboxing and emphasize MMA techniques. If your school doesn't have a club, there might be local clubs to join and train with, but that might require a car to get around to.

Detard
09-17-2006, 05:37 PM
you may not find an MMA gym, but im sure thersa muay thai gym somewhere with some BJJ instructors.

LoneJeeper
09-17-2006, 06:25 PM
i've never seen a dedicated MMA gym, but i don't live in a city. Chances are your school has some sort of Martial Arts club... if they have a few, join 'em all.

Skinny_DiezeL
09-17-2006, 11:48 PM
i know of two within 6 miles of my place. It's just a matter of looking and what you're looking to get into. Just check the yellow pages, ask trainers at a gym, etc.

Kenshi
09-18-2006, 11:44 AM
As it has already been mentioned, it depends on the place.

I live in hicksville, Illinios but there are about four of em' scattered about.

If the college you want to go to is in a city of any size above Hicksville, most liekly you will find a place, though.

The trick at that point, is what KIND of MMA place to you want?

If you're looking for self-defense, it shoudln't be too hard to find one.

If you're looking for competition/tournament, even easier.

If you're looking for a place that preps people for stuff like the "Pride-Fighting" that Spike plays, little harder.

So, the problem as you will see, is less "Will I find one?" and more "Will I find what I want?"

A quality dojo is a thing to behold, but sometimes few and far between.
If you have an idea for what specific style(Gracie jujitsu, for example), or what organization(like DKI, for another example), throw that name into google and you should get a dojo-finder, complete with phone numbers and adresses if you are lucky.

If you do not know exactly what you want yet, I would suggest spending some time throwing keywords into google. Nothing serious, just maybe a free afternoon or evening when you can get at a computer. Besides, it can be interesting to read about all the different styles out there.

Hope it helps.
-Kenshi