PDA

View Full Version : Nitrean Supplement Facts - questions about details

russianwol
09-18-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi, I've read Built's article about carbohydrates - I believe as part 2 installement of her series "Get Built". She mentions that Nitrean has the optimal amount of dextrose for Post Workout shake. But Nitrean only has 2g of Carbs listed on the supplement fact. Also, I was not able to find dextrose in the ingredient list on the Nitrean info on the ATL website. Did she really mean Opticen?

Now malto is infact listed as the ingredient in Opticen. And it also has sucralose. I wonder why was the decision made to use that combination instead of just dextrose? Meaning dextrose is sweet so it theoretically it could replace sucralose that I believe is only used as the sweetening agent.

Also, what is "acesulfame potassium" found in Nitrean - is it a preservative?

Thanks,
Dmitry

chris mason
09-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi, I've read Built's article about carbohydrates - I believe as part 2 installement of her series "Get Built". She mentions that Nitrean has the optimal amount of dextrose for Post Workout shake. But Nitrean only has 2g of Carbs listed on the supplement fact. Also, I was not able to find dextrose in the ingredient list on the Nitrean info on the ATL website. Did she really mean Opticen?

Now malto is infact listed as the ingredient in Opticen. And it also has sucralose. I wonder why was the decision made to use that combination instead of just dextrose? Meaning dextrose is sweet so it theoretically it could replace sucralose that I believe is only used as the sweetening agent.

Also, what is "acesulfame potassium" found in Nitrean - is it a preservative?

Thanks,
Dmitry

I do believe she meant Opticen, yes.

Acesulfame potassium is an artificial sweetener.

Chris

Built
09-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Nitrean has no added dextrose. My article describes how much dextrose to add, based on nitrean scoops.

Built
09-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Conveniently, a 70-cc Nitrean (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=1) scoop (this means the plastic measuring cup thingie) measures out 24g of protein (in a 30-g serving of Nitrean (http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=1)) and about 45g of dextrose/maltodextrin (I weighed it out to check). I’ve also done the math here to help you figure out the dosing:

Bulking – 2 shakes

One during workout, one right after, then a solid meal:

http://www.wannabebig.com/images/built2table1.gif

russianwol
09-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Nitrean has no added dextrose. My article describes how much dextrose to add, based on nitrean scoops.

Ok, I think the statement below is then misleading

"Conveniently, a 70-cc Nitrean scoop measures out 24g of protein (in a 30-g serving of Nitrean) and about 45g of dextrose/maltodextrin (I weighed it out to check). Iíve also done the math here to help you figure out the dosing"

Now another question would then be - why use artificial sweetners when dextrose and malto can be used.

Oh how I want a protein product without artificial sweetners. No sweetners will do even!

russianwol
09-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Ok I think I understand what you mean now. You are talking about the scoop itself - the plastic thingy - not the scoop of Nitrean powder :)

Hmmm. Does ATL sell just the scoops? ;)

Well I was getting interested in Nitrean before I realized that Built is only talking about the plastic thingy, not the product itself. However, I'm pretty certain that I will have difficutly finding good whey protein that does not contain artificial sweetners.

Would you guys at ATL by any chance try to market a product that has your whey blend + dextrose and malt? I would love to buy a product that fits Builts analysis although I guess the quantities for dexo are different for different body weights...

Built
09-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Ok, I think the statement below is then misleading

"Conveniently, a 70-cc Nitrean scoop measures out 24g of protein (in a 30-g serving of Nitrean) and about 45g of dextrose/maltodextrin (I weighed it out to check). Iíve also done the math here to help you figure out the dosing"

Okay. Should the word "scoop" be replaced by "scooper" or "measuring scoop" perhaps?

Now another question would then be - why use artificial sweetners when dextrose and malto can be used.

Oh how I want a protein product without artificial sweetners. No sweetners will do even!

Dextrose and malto aren't added because Nitrean is a low carb protein powder. YOU get to add the malto and or dextrose separately so you have control of the amount of carb you want to add to your shake.

You probably don't want to be spiking your insulin outside the lifting window. Because Nitrean is artificially sweetened, it's palatable without being a source of carbs unless you add them in.

russianwol
09-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Okay. Should the word "scoop" be replaced by "scooper" or "measuring scoop" perhaps?

You should take the "and about 45g of dextrose/maltodextrin...." part out and make it a separate sentence. Use more simple short sentences to describe your point about convenience of the measuring scoop for putting together correct proportions of Nitrean powder for protein and dextrose for carbs.

Built
09-18-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't have direct access to this page, but perhaps Daniel will ammend it for you.

russianwol
09-18-2006, 12:15 PM
You probably don't want to be spiking your insulin outside the lifting window. Because Nitrean is artificially sweetened, it's palatable without being a source of carbs unless you add them in.

That makes sense. I guess palatable means different things to different people :) I'm gonna go read more on the insulin to understand exactly what it does.

BTW your article is great - explains the differences between the carbs very well. Stuff I did not know before. So I'm currently on a quest to find out more about insulin.

Built
09-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks - glad you found it helpful.

Insulin is a very interesting hormone!