PDA

View Full Version : Calipers for teens

c3p
09-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok, so I am almost 16 and I want to measure and track my bf%. I am going to buy a caliper soon but i don't know whether i should get an electronic or manual. I am worried about which one I get because since I am 16, and most of the charts that come with the manuals start from 18 years of age, so that is very frustrating. Anyways, my point here is: Which calipers would you recommend for a teenager (or anyone under 18) to use and still get accurate measurements. Would getting an electric caliper help me to resolve this age factor?

Thanks,
Kyle

Holto
09-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Even if the formulas are based on an 18 year old it will still be a very accurate way to determine progress independant of weight gain.

If you pinch a 12 one day and an 11 a few weeks later you will know where you are headed.

Con
09-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Well since ive been wondering about calipers, does anyone have a link to a pair that are reliable/good quality?

c3p
09-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Even if the formulas are based on an 18 year old it will still be a very accurate way to determine progress independant of weight gain.

If you pinch a 12 one day and an 11 a few weeks later you will know where you are headed.
Thanks for the tip. I thought about that a couple mins. ago.

Well since ive been wondering about calipers, does anyone have a link to a pair that are reliable/good quality?

I am thinking of getting an Accumeasure brand, since those said to be the "best"

Con
09-19-2006, 07:13 PM
After googlin accumeasure i was thinking of ordering this one Caliper (http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/Pages/Calipers-pages-new/Accu-Measure-Fat-Calipers/Accu-fat-new.html)

Theres something about a coupon, so its only 7 bucks and hell if it sucks, it was only 7 dollars.

darkdan
09-19-2006, 07:54 PM
That's the one I have.

It clicks when you should stop squeezing.

Con
09-19-2006, 07:56 PM
that a good thing? is it simple to use?

MagnaSephiroth
09-23-2006, 12:45 PM
How do you use those types of calipers?

darkdan
09-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Well, you pinch a bit of skin making sure to only grab the skin and not any muscle or bone.

Then you put the caliper on it, squeeze until it clicks. Look at the number and say, "OMG! I'm fat."

The best way to do it is take 3 or more measurements. Stomach, back of the arm, by the shoulder blade, etc.

Holto
09-23-2006, 02:53 PM
This clicking idea sounds like it would make it really easy to do yourself.

No?

Davidelmo
09-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I have a clicking one - works very well for me.

I'm not 100% sure of it's accuracy in determining my BF% since the supplied chart only bases it's measurements on the superillac. Unfortunately I store most of my fat there. I have tried using more measurements and online charts for better results.

Either way, the measurement itself is useful. As holto said, if you measure a 12 one week and a month later you measure a 10, it's obvious something has changed.

darkdan
09-23-2006, 04:17 PM
This clicking idea sounds like it would make it really easy to do yourself.

No?

Yes, because you know when to stop pinching.