PDA

View Full Version : Water intake

Steele
09-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Do fluids count towards water intake? I drink a lot of tea and diluted sugar-free juice. Evidently there are toxins in the latter, but tea is an antioxidant. It is a diuretic, but i don't think this has too much effect on things. I prolly drink 2L of pure water a day, more on lifting days. Maybe about 6L from the aforementioned fluids. Opinions?

-Steele

Eszekial
09-20-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd actually like to know this myself...

I think you are looking to add pure h2o to your system and not count the other stuff.

The other stuff makes your kidneys work and water doesn't? Not sure the logic but my vote is no.

Steele
09-20-2006, 05:05 PM
No, i think that drinking the other stuff simulates the effect of water, but only to a certain extent because of the chemicals they contain.

No doubt that simply drinking 8L of water would be better, but how much better?

-Steele

Holto
09-20-2006, 05:25 PM
It all goes back to the human body being incrediby efficient at absorbing most things.

The muscle mags state that your body can't absorb the water in soda for example. The truth is your body latches on to what it needs and has evolved over several hundred thousand years to do so.

I have also recently found some research that showed that caffeine only has a diuretic effect in non-caffeine users. In caffeine users it's almost non existant.

Roddy
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I have had very solid advice that the best water supply for our body above just tap water, is the water we obtain from fruits (watermelon, grapes, peaches), we obviously still have to drink tap water, you aint gettin 8L of water from grapes.... but i hope you get the idea.

Steele
09-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Thanks guys, feedback much appreciated =) Tea is basically hot water, a few herbs with a dash of milk - I would imagine that it comes pretty damn close to the real thing :)

-Steele