PDA

View Full Version : Road To Recovery... I hope

Ruffian
09-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow... Long time no see for this board! I had a great plan this summer, just as my boy (deedeR) did... However, again it didnt go as planned. I ended up having my knee, which some of you know was giving me problems, start giving me huge issues. I laid off of weightlifting completely for about 4 months and just did some horseback riding to keep myself in shape. Now, Im starting to do some upper body work but that is all I am able to do for now, any sort of motion in my leg causes me severe pain and I am unable to support weight (basically that means, no squats, deads, SLDLs or anything fun ... :mad: ). This will go on until I get surgery which could be another year, possibly longer.

So in the meantime, I guess Ill just keep you guys up to date with what im doing, or attempting to do anyways, for the next little while. Its all dependant upon my knees and the amount of pain im in, any bad days are a no, because I do use my legs as support in most everything.

It sux... but hopefully as Deeder says, itll be my chance to balance myself out because my upper body is no where near the same size as my lower body. When I come back I should be good (after some rehab), so cross your fingers that surgery will come sooner rather then later....

Anyways, heres a rough outline of my split. I need to do some adjustments yet, everything as I said is dependant on my knees so some things I might not be able to do some weeks. Right now im mixing in 3X15's and 5X5's, trying to balance endurance and strength. Eventually as I get back into shape ill move more into 5X5's but with me being unable to do most compound movements I dont think Ill achieve very much.... It sux but its better then not being able to walk cuz i was an idiot... As you can tell, since I only have a few areas I can work its pretty hard on those areas. But hey, gotta feed the buzz somehow right ;)

Monday:
- one arm dumbell rows
- Lat pulls
- assisted pull ups (assisted cuz im weak.... lol)
- bicep curls
- Preacher curls (if I still have any juice left... which I usually dont by this point)

Wednesday:
- Bench Press
- Flies
- Incline Bench Press
- Tricep cable Pushdowns
- Tricep Dips (if I still have any juice left)

Friday:
- ARNIES ( my fave....)
- Shoulder press
- Incline Rear Raises
- Back Hyperextensions (IF my knee permits)
- Weighted cable pulldowns

On days where my knee isnt especially bad I will do other non-weighted ab and back work. (ie. regular situps, supermans etc. Just something to give it a bit more work because the weighted stuff takes alot outta me right now). Thats about it... I might try to work in some swimming too, but right now im trying to get myself a job at a farm so i can do some riding in the meantime... but we will see.

Anyways, happy to be back! Hopefully this journal will be able to document my surgery and subsequent rehab as well as other weighted work. If you guys have any tips (have been through this kind of injury before) then it would be helpful. Until then...

HI! ... Again...

Built
09-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Oh, honey, I'm sorry you're going through this. What a pisser.

Now, your lifts. Can you try to re-arrange them so the heaviest lifts are before the accessory work? For example, do assisted chins before lat pulldowns, military press before Arnies.

Also - how about pairing chest with bis, back with tris (push and pull).

Ruffian
09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Built... nice timing... lol, i was just about to log off!

I usually do most of the heavier stuff first.. .Although, i hate pull ups so I dont like to do them first... just a me thing, but perhaps I should try it. I havnt really 'defined' a workout sched yet, just feeling things out, and seeing what I can and cannot do. BUt Ill take that in mind as I go on over the next little bit.

AS for your second, I cant usually do back stuff because hyperextensions draws off the hamstrings and causes strain in my knees. At least the way it is allows me to take them out without completely ruining a day worth of excersizes. Plus, then i at least have a bit of substance and can still spread it out over a couple days... I feel so useless otherwise.

LOL. This sux. *pouts* I would much rather that i could squat and deadlift... well... rack pull (I love those). But no, it HAD to be my lower body that went LOL!

Built
09-21-2006, 07:38 PM
The back stuff I meant was the rowing movements - you've currently got chest paired with tris. Why not do bis after chest? That way your tris get hit twice a week instead of raped ONCE a week.

Ruffian
09-22-2006, 02:44 PM
hehehe... i love your terminology.

Perhaps I will try that out next week. Im a little slow on the uptake right now so bear with me ;)

Ruffian
09-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I Finally saw the doctor today, he had good news and bad news... Good news is it is not the knee joint itself which is screwed, which means that some weight lifting is ok. Nothing that involves deep flexion (aka. No deadlifting, or squats but I can do isolated work that doesnt involve the squating and pushing up motion). However, the surgery is going to be more complicated. They are going to be shaving off the bottom of the patella (knee cap to those non-knee pain ppl) to round it off and allow it to slide smoother over the joint. Then they will be doing something called a patellar release where they will cut part of the muscles connected to the patella. In 50% of cases this will cause an improvement. However, at the same time, in the other 50% there is no change or you can experience a change for the worse (some ppl will have dislocation where there wasnt before). My doc says its the best option right now, if this doesnt work they they wil lhave to go in and literally move over my entire muscular structure and knee cap.

Lets hope and pray it doesnt come to that.

Anyways, Im going to be reassessing my workout plan, to accomodate some knee work and possibly some rack pulling (start light and see how this goes.)

As for the past couple days:

Friday:
- Bench Press - 40 lbs: 2 X 10, 55 lbs: 3X10
- Incline Bench Press - 20 lbs: 5X5
- Flies: 20 lbs: 15 lbs: 3X10
- Tricep cable Pushdowns: 50 lbs: 5X5

Monday:
- one arm dumbell rows - 20 lbs: 1X10, 25 lbs 2X10, 30 lbs 1X5 (Superset)
- Lat pulls - 50 lbs: 1X10, 70 lbs: 3X10
- assisted pull ups: 5X5 (with a 60 lb leverage)
- Tricep cable Pushdowns - 55 lbs: 4X5, 50 lbs, 1X5
(Switched this as par Built's reccommendation)

Ruffian
09-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Heres the sched for today,I attempted to do some leg work today. IT was quite painful but the doc stressed the importance of keeping the leg muscles from atrophying. If anyone has any suggestions to building a new program I would appreciate it

- Bench Press - 40 lbs: 2 X 15, 55 lbs: 3X10
- Incline Bench Press - 20 lbs: 3X8
- Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 4X10
- Leg Extensions: (done with single legs to keep myself from compensating) 30 lbs: 4X10
- Leg Curls: (same as above) 30 lbs: 4X10

Thas about it for today....

Ruffian
09-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Alright for yesterday I decided to work in some rack pulls instead of hyperextensions and Im definately feeling them today! However, it was nice to be able to go back to the wonderous feeling of the squat rack, I definately miss it!

Rack Pulls- 40 lbs: 1X20, 90 lbs: 2X10, 140 lbs: 3X5, 160 lbs: 2X5
Arnies- 20 lbs: 4X10
Incline Rear Raises- 12 lbs: 3X10
Weighted cable pulldowns: 105 lbs: 1X15 (front and side-side), 135 lbs: 2X10

I decided to do some more light leg work. I need to be able to do quite a bit of strengthening, I think ill just throw these in when I have time.
Leg extensions (1 leg at a time)- 25 lbs: 3X10
Leg Curls (1 leg at a time)- 30 lbs: 3X10

Ruffian
10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Yesterday was pretty decent, worked out and then went to the Black Eyed Peas... Which was a GREAT concert, too bad Rihanna was sick. Anywho, heres the stats:

-one arm dumbell rows - 20 lbs 1X15, 25 lbs 3X8
- Lat pulls - 75 lbs: 4X8
- assisted pull ups: 45 lbs: 5X5
- Tricep cable pushdowns: 60 lbs: 5X5

My back was pretty sore from the last day I did rack pulls, as was my legs. So I did a good half hour of stretching and seem to have relaxed myself pretty well. So, yay!

Ruffian
10-04-2006, 10:48 PM
So Im already doing as much as I did last year, even though i took 4 months off... that is exciting. Anyways.

Bench Press: 45 lbs: 2X15, 65 lbs: 4X10
Incline Dumbell Press: 25 lbs: 5X5
Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 3X10, 25 lbs: 1X5 (Superset)
Hip inductor/adductor: 115 lbs: 3X10 (both ways)
Leg Extension: 35 lbs: 3X10 (one leg)
Leg Curl: 35 lbs: 3X10 (one leg)

I also threw in some rotator cuff work cuz it was getting sore... Nothing huge, just a dull ache.

Im pretty happy with how its come out. Th eleg work seems to be helping my knees a tad bit. So yay!

deeder
10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
^^
Hmmm... Seems to me like I've saw that workout today... Wow.. talk about deja vue! :p

You looked good doing those bench presses! Definately could have done more! Load it on next week!

Ruffian
10-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Wow... the only person who pays attn to my post is my boyfriend... How silly do I look ;)

deeder
10-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Wow... the only person who pays attn to my post is my boyfriend... How silly do I look ;)

Meh... People will catch on! :windup:

KevinStarke
10-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Atta girl, hope everything goes well.

Ruffian
10-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks Kevin!

Yesterday was a pretty decent day energy wise, I actually had lots and was rack pulling weight which was difficult for me last week with twice the reps. Deeder went for his 1 rm on squats so that was impressive, but I miss squatting now *pats flubby legs*

Oh dear.

Anyways, Heres the numbers for yesterday:

Arnies: 15 lbs 1X15, 20 lbs 2X10, 25 lbs 1X10
Rack Pull: 45 lbs: 1X20, 95 lbs: 2X10, 145 lbs: 1X10, 155 lbs: 1X10, 165 lbs: 1X10, 175 lbs:1X5
(I think its is pretty decent considering its only my second time out and its for way more reps than last week. Im thinking Im going to continue at this rep range for now, gradually increasing the weight. I need to build both strength and endurance so I think this will work good for me. Opinions?)
Leg extensions (one leg): 35 lbs: 3X10
LEg Curl (one leg): 40 lbs: 3X10
Hip adductor / inductor: 125 lbs: 3X10 (both ways)
(my legs were feeling pretty good today, Im trying to work in as much weights for them as I can since I cant do the good stuff, but no more then 2ce p/week. )
WEighted Cable Pulldowns: 125 lbs: 1X15 (5 straight and 5 to each side), 140 lbs: 2X10.

I went and did a whole bunch of stretches yesterday too, I could feel myself stiffening up pretty good but Im feeling quite limber today. (I love stretching, its like... ecstatic). I took Deeder's brother out too to show him some stretches and my god was he totally un-flexible. Maybe its just because Im insanely flexible at the hips but it was baaaddddd.

Then I proceeded to play basketball with deeder and his friends and totally destroyed my knee.... So much for progress pain and inflammation wise, I can pretty much kiss that all goodbye. Next time, someone just needs to remind me that jumping and running arent a good idea yet, no matter how good i think I'm feeling.

*Sigh*

Oh for the love of knees.......

Ricky Bobby
10-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I am sorry about the knee issue but it is very commendable of you that you are stayin the course. Keep a positive attitude and everything will work out.
It was very smart of you to do the leg ext. one leg at a time. Workouts look good but I think you could go heavier on the bench.
Do the rack pulls bother your knee at all? I think you should do more low rep in the rack pulls. the 165x10 and your other warm up sets might have sapped your strength. If you want to warm up to your heavy weight you dont need to rep 10 reps.

Ruffian
10-09-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks Ricky... As for the rack pulls, on most days no, and on the days where it does I just wont do them because it isnt worth it at this moment in time. Do you think I would be better off on a 5X5?

Ricky Bobby
10-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I dont know about if 5x5 would be the best but I think it would be much better than the current high rep rack pulls which you have before your heavy pulls. I dont like to do pulls of more than 3 reps b/c I feel that my form goes to sh*t. why not though give 5x5 a shot. In my experience though really low reps have made me the strongest the quickest. good luck

Ruffian
10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Oops... DP

Ruffian
10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
RickyBobby- I was doing a 5X5 as of last year... I need to build both strength and endurance because of what Im planning on doing with it, but perhaps I will start doing the 5X5. I know it builds strength the quickest, with the 5X5 last year I was able to pull 220 lbs...

In other news:
Today Deeder and I went to a ghetto looking gym (it was pretty ratty looking after our b-e-a-utiful gym at school. Our normal gym was closed because of thanksgiving. They didnt have everything I needed there so I just kinda improvised. IVe decided though that Im going to do skull crushers now as part of my tricep routine because they TOTALLY murdered them. *pats tired triceps*.

Anyway.
Lat Pulldown- 50 lbs: 1X15, 70 lbs: 3X8
One arm Dumbell rows- 25 lbs: 4X10
Skullcrushers- 30 lbs: 1X10, 25 lbs: 2X10
Leg extensions- 30 lbs: 3X10
Leg Curl- 30 lbs: 3X10

YEsterday I went to THE ROLLING STONES, and they put on a phenomenal concert. The only bad thing was it was friggen cold (-10) at an outdoor venue and we had to stand the whole time (2.5 hrs). My knee was pretty ****ed up today, but the leg work seemed to have helped with the stiffness a bit. I have a midterm on wednesday so that workout will be moved to either tuesday or thursday depending on how my time pans out. So I wanted to get in a leg workout day before Friday and today happened to be it.

After my workout I did my umpteenth hour of studying Calculus (which i HATE) and then went for a yummy thanksgiving supper with Deeder. I guess I cant complain hey? Two awesome concerts in one week!

deeder
10-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh come on... It wasn't a "ghetto gym"! It was the YMCA!

But yeah... It was a piss poor gym.

KingWilder
10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
we're all afraid to post in here because we don't want Deeder to beat us up :rolleyes:

everything's lookin' good though, hope it all works out for ya with the knee

and uh, what's up with Thanksgiving supper today??
EDIT: I'm guessing it's Canadian Thanksgiving?...us Americans are soooo narrow minded

Ruffian
10-10-2006, 09:00 AM
we're all afraid to post in here because we don't want Deeder to beat us up :rolleyes:

everything's lookin' good though, hope it all works out for ya with the knee

and uh, what's up with Thanksgiving supper today??
EDIT: I'm guessing it's Canadian Thanksgiving?...us Americans are soooo narrow minded

LMFAO! But I need ppl to post and tell me how amazing I am ;)
In all actuality... Yeah the american school system is narrow minded in everyone but my mother's mind.... You guys learn more about math but you know virtually nothing about any country but your own... Just a fact... *pats* Its not your fault... Really...

Ricky Bobby
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
You guys go to a sh*tload of concerts. Skull crushers rock!! I actually celebrated canadian thanksgiving w/ a couple canadian friends. goodtimes. I feel your pain w/the calculus. Just get through it and you will never bother w/it again. Unless your like an engineer.

Ruffian
10-13-2006, 11:44 AM
*Gag* No... no engineering for me.... *shudders*.

Yeah, we have had this sudden influx of FANTASTIC concerts coming to our little bum city, its awesome! WE go from no concerts to concerts every 2 weeks within 6 months. Its absolutely crazy, but, in a good way.

Yesterday I had a quick workout, I didnt have awhole heck of a lot of time and my legs were phenomenally bad yesterday (weather change ?) so I didnt have much endurance. However, I did manage to kill my PR for bench press and pumped it out not too badly. However, my spotters sucked... .I miss my regular goodlooking spotter who doesnt touch the bar every two seconds *ergh*.

I think ill bump it up again next week.

Anyways:

Bench Press: 45 lbs: 2X20, 75 lbs: 3X8
Bicep curls: 25 lbs: 2X5 (I am trying to get up to the 25's so im doing as much as I can on the 25s and then moving back to the 20s. So far its working... Although, I wish we did have 2.5 lb incriments....) 20 lbs: 2X10
Pec Deck: (All the incline benches were taken) 85 lbs: 2X10.

My legs died just then... I decided I had had enough... IT kinda sucks when your knees get so battered that you cant even do upper body work... especially when I dont even kknow why. They are perfect today though, even though I think im getting a cold or something.

Well... YAY for fall? I have had so many ****ing midterms these past 2 weeks I cant even sit down to comprehend it. Its just been insanity, 1-2 big midterms p/week for the past 2 weeks. Im exhausted, and Ive hardly seen deeder at all except to study. And then we both have our other friends too so it ends up being a group thing anyways....

ergh.

edit: Yes. I just had to rant a little bit... Im crazy, I know.

KingWilder
10-13-2006, 08:01 PM
workout looks good

I hear ya on the midterms...I had two this week (mon and tuesday) and I have two next week (wed. and friday). It's our fall break right now though so I'm trying to enjoy myself and not think about how much work I have coming up.

Ruffian
10-15-2006, 12:09 AM
workout looks good

I hear ya on the midterms...I had two this week (mon and tuesday) and I have two next week (wed. and friday). It's our fall break right now though so I'm trying to enjoy myself and not think about how much work I have coming up.

Your definately hearing me then!

What are you taking currently? AS of right this second Im a biochemistry major with a minor in psychology....

KingWilder
10-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I started out in Biochem.....good luck. I switched to biology to avoid some of the advanced chem courses, but still had to take biochemistry and the organics...not fun

this semester is actually pretty easy(well, it SHOULD be)...I'm taking all electives, but they're a TON of work

Stumprrp
10-15-2006, 08:49 PM
your strong! looking excellent in here! deeder watch out your lady friend is catchin up to you ;D

Ruffian
10-15-2006, 10:46 PM
your strong! looking excellent in here! deeder watch out your lady friend is catchin up to you ;D

HAHAHAHAHHA!

Oh wow... If I ever 'actually' caught up to him I would be so friggen happy. BTW, I didnt get a workout in on friday, my legs were crap... unfortunately.

KW--> Ive heard many ppl say similar things... what are you hoping to do with your degree? Im assuming your just going for your Bsc right now?

Ricky Bobby
10-16-2006, 10:42 PM
You can always teach. I earned a degree in Biology now I teach it at the high school level. Fun stuff, great benefits and every holiday you can imagine off.

Ruffian
10-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Wow... I havent been around on this board much.. Stupid midterms are STILL kicking my ass!

I have a new girl whose working out with me, shes a tiny thing but is pretty strong. She did typical girly weights and was very suprised to find out that I dont run or anything and look like I do... She thought, as many women do, that looking *Cough* "toned" involves running 50 bazillion miles.

Anyway....

Monday:
1 arm dumbell rows:25 lbs : 3X10
Pull ups - assisted: 60 lbs : 5X5
Lat Pulldowns- 65 lbs: 3X8
Skullcrushers: 35 lbs: 1X8, 40 lbs 2X8

(I have to say, that since IVe started doing skullcrushers I have already noticed an improvement in my triceps.... Which is quite impressive if I do say so myself! Im very happy with them!)

Wednesday
-- This was the first day that girl worked out with me, im not used to having a partner anymore so it was kinda odd, but we moved really fast and so ended up doing the full routine... I was totally exhausted!

Bench press- 45 lbs : 2X15, 60 lbs: 1X10, 75 lbs: 5X5 (IVe started doing a 5X5 now and am going to start moving up to heavier weights.... )
-->I didnt do an incline bench today because of the 5X5.... I could really feel it, a ton more then the 3X8- plus I find that they kill my shoulders for some odd reason.
Pec Deck- 65 lbs: 3X10
Dumbell Bicep Curls: 25 lbs: 2X6, 20 lbs: 2X10 (still workin gup to those 25's.... I wish we had 22.5 lb weights.)
Preacher curl: 45 lbs: 3X10 - These came up really easy! Way easier then I remember, so Im pretty happy about that.
Leg extensions: 45 lbs (p/one leg)- 3X10 (I was SUPER happy with these, my legs felt really good that day and I just was able to pump out way more weigh tthen before. I hope it was a good thing! They didnt hurt until yesterday and tahts only because i was on stage singing for 3 hours.... That destroyed them *sigh*)
Leg Curls: 45 lbs (p/one leg)- 3X10
Situps: 3X25
-->Deeder was supposed to do these with his new 5X5, he didnt want to- so we said we would do them with him if he did them. So we did... Man, I forgot how much just regular old situps suck!

Ill post todays workout in a few hours.... I dunno how well ill do today, my knee is total crap *pokes*. I woke up this morning and couldnt walk at all, I had to take 2 advil and wait until they started to kick in. I ended up being 20 mins late for my lab, which was, (if I may add) ENTIRELY pointess.... ergh...

So yeah... ill post again today after my workout!

Unreal
10-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Partners are great if they know what they are doing or will adapt to you. My problem is every guy I've worked out with is just a bench/curl/machine jockey. Teach this girl to lift good so we can have another hot girl in this world.

Strong workouts, and enjoy the bald boy. :)

Built
10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
It's interesting how the "toned female physique" is actually a weighlifter. My training partner is 10 lbs lighter than I am, same height as me, and squats what I do.

Couple comments:

First off, props for working around your injury and for the rack deads - nice!

Now, this:

Why are you using this machine? Just trying to come up with something to do for legs? I've never seen the utility - just seems to irritate my hip flexors.

Leg extensions - try only doing the top half of the movement. You might be able to press heavier, and you'll do so with less strain on the knee. I only ever do the top half.

You doing any good mornings?

Ruffian
10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
It's interesting how the "toned female physique" is actually a weighlifter. My training partner is 10 lbs lighter than I am, same height as me, and squats what I do.

Couple comments:

First off, props for working around your injury and for the rack deads - nice!

Now, this:

Why are you using this machine? Just trying to come up with something to do for legs? I've never seen the utility - just seems to irritate my hip flexors.

Leg extensions - try only doing the top half of the movement. You might be able to press heavier, and you'll do so with less strain on the knee. I only ever do the top half.

You doing any good mornings?

1) To everyone.... shes ok, and shes very adaptable and wants to learn the right technique which makes me happy. Nothing irritates me more then ppl who say "ok" and do it their own way anyway. She'll do the same routine as me for a while so I can watch her carefully, then Ill move her into squats and deads when I know that I can at least trust her form on the more basic excersizes.

Built-
- The hip thing is because 1) I cant do anything that involves movement of my hips with weight on my shoulders because it puts a ton of strain upon my knee caps (or so ive been told). 2) For horseback riding, it works the muscles I need to use to keep myself on the saddle and since I am currently horseless and in too much pain to ride, I must suffice with this. I know its really pointless, but it doesnt bother my hip flexors or anything of the sort, and it will help to keep my muscles strong since I cant work them otherwise (seeing as I cant squat or dead).

- As for the leg extensions Im doing the full movement because it is the only movement I can do for my quads so I want to try to keep them as strong as possible. Actually, not a want to.. I have to keep them as strong as possible or else my recovery time after surgery will be astronomical! My specialist told me to do extensions and curls to strengthen the surrounding muscles, he specifically stated since I cannot do ANYTHING that involves deep flexion or weights upon my shoulders while engaging my legs that I need to find and alternate method to keep them strong. But really, the leg extensions dont bother me that much as long as I rest it well in between, ive actually noticed a greater amount of no-to-little-pain time between periods of being unable to walk.

And that is really nice.

- As for Goodmornings... No. LOL, I havnt tried them, but I really like my rack pulls. My doctor specifically said that I was a no-go for anything that involves deep flexion or weight upon my shoulders, I asked him about excersizes where i use my arms to pull the weight and he said that would be ok, but he specifically said nothing on the shoulders because it strains the knee cap. Dont ask me why, but I guess Im just playing the suck. When my knee is bad it is REALLY bad, so when I find something that works Ill probably just stick to it for now... Mostly out of fear of being unable to walk again...

This sucks... I miss squats.... and my squatters but... *Sigh*

Guido
10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Nice Journal! Thought I'd check it out since I've seen Deeder post about you a little bit. Judging by your pics, you're certainly not shy about your body (a good thing). No need to be, either. My wife had a journal on here for a bit but then she started into powerlifting with me and she keeps a journal on the Chicago Powerlifting forum. It's always good to see more women in here, though, so I hope you both stick with it and become part of the big, sappy, WBB family.

Built
10-20-2006, 04:51 PM
The "top half" of leg extensions isn't just for people with knee problems - it applies to everyone. Pay attention to how your knee feels. It's one of the few movements where you really DON'T want a rull ROM.

Ruffian
10-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Ill think on it the next time I do them Built, Ill try them both and see how they feel in comparison. IVe never noticed much of an issue before, but who knows... *Shrugs* Ill let you know how it goes.

For Friday I did my usual...

Rack Pulls: 45 lbs: 1X15, 90 lbs: 2X10, 185 lbs: 4X5 (On the last rep of the fourth set I got a huge shooting pain in my knee which seemes to happen every once in a while no matter if Im walking or doing weights. So I stopped....)
Arnies: 20 lbs: 3X8 (THESE KILLED my shoulders! )
Rear delt raises: 15 lbs: 1X10, 10 lbs: 2X10
Shoulder press: (only did these to show the girl im working out with what they are like.... again.... they killed my shoulders) 25 lbs: 3X8
Weighted CAble Pulldowns: 105 lbs: 1X15 (5 straight, 5 to each side), 135 lbs: 2X8 (straight down)

That girl I was working out with saw me do these ab cable things and thought I was crazy until she gave them a shot... Said she never had as good a workout in her life....

In other news: There is this total wench of a chick who sits wiht us at lunch every now and again (us being me, deeder, deeders workout buddy; Dorian and Megan) I cant even remember her name... Not htat it matters anyway. She is one of those girls who likes to manipulate ppl and was saying nasty things about her so called 'best friends' behind their backs. Anyway as we stood up shes like

"Oh, my abs are like, so sore. I did a half hour ab workout yesterday"

Deeder and I looked at each other and then I turned back to her with a amused grin on my face

"Why would you do that? ITs such a tiny muscle group, you really arent doing anything."

she gave me one of those 'boy are YOU stupid expressions' and was like

"I do it so I can eat fries and not get fat."

As she walked away I said this (and my god do I wish I said it to her face just to see her expression)

"Its not your abs that make you fat, its your fat that made you fat"

Oh dear.... Girls make me laugh.

Built
10-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Oh, that's rich!

Bwahahahahahahah! Half an hour of ab work so she can eat fries.

Tell her it'll work. *smirk*

Ruffian
10-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh, that's rich!

Bwahahahahahahah! Half an hour of ab work so she can eat fries.

Tell her it'll work. *smirk*

Honestly hey?

Like what stupidity, and the look she gave me was wow... Arent YOU Stupid. I could hardly contain the totally condescending grin which was formulating on my face when she gave me her look. Oh dear... I love girls sometime, they just do so much stupid stuff. The funnier part was that lucas had the exact same expression on his face that I did on mine. I hope we made her feel stupid.

I probably do a fraction of the ab work she does and im pretty sure I am probably still looking more cut then her (although, not as cut as you built *pats Built's six pack*)

"My preciousssssssss...."

teaturtle
10-21-2006, 05:08 PM
haahahahahahhhahha people like that are made to make us laugh, i know it !

Ricky Bobby
10-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I think 5x5 on the bench is a good idea. Good job on the rack pulls and arnies.

Guido
10-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Give that "abs chick" some Ethiopian Weight Gainer snacks and tell her it's a new swiss chocolate diet. That'll teach her. [/Mean Girls reference]

deeder
10-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Give that "abs chick" some Ethiopian Weight Gainer snacks and tell her it's a new swiss chocolate diet. That'll teach her. [/Mean Girls reference]

LMAO! Although that must be one of the biggest chick flicks comedies in the world I thought it was absolutely hilarious!

We might just have to try that with her! She might believe it!

KingWilder
10-22-2006, 09:15 AM
dude, Mean Girls is one of my guilty pleasures haha

nice workouts ruffian

Built
10-22-2006, 09:52 AM
I probably do a fraction of the ab work she does and im pretty sure I am probably still looking more cut then her (although, not as cut as you built *pats Built's six pack*)

"My preciousssssssss...."

I actually pat my abs them whenever someone in the office has snax out that I like. I look at the treats, smell them, then flex my abs and pet them.

And walk away.

I'll have to remember to murmur "My preciousssssssss...." - it'll add to the effect.

Ruffian
10-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Wow.... I expected maybe one person to post in reply to that comment.... Clearly its a lot more funny then I had initially thought... LOL.

Like Deeder I too have a great new workout buddy, shes just loving weightlifting and keeps wanting to do heavier weights. I tell her for the first couple weeks we'll keep it low weight high rep so I can make sure her form is perfect and for the first month she'll stick with me on my routine to nail those excersizes and then ill start showing her how to squat and deadlift and we'll throw those in. I wont be able to watch her quite as much with those, since I cant do them myself, but oh well....

Anywho....

Pullups- assisted: 45 lbs: 4X5, 50 lbs: 1X5 (now, heres a weird question, any time I would go all the way down- not till i lockout mind you- once I got slightly below parallel my elbow will do this disgusting popping sound and it is EXTREMELY painful. Any ideas what is causing this?)

One armed dumbell rows- 25 lbs: 3X8 (these came up super easy, im going to have to grab the 30s next week *grins*)

Lat pulldowns: 75 lbs: 3X8

Skullcrushers: 40 lbs: 1X8, 45 lbs: 2X8

Tricep pulldowns: (these just killed me LOL) 45 lbs: 3X10

Deeder then convinced me and my partner to do his accessory work.... *shakes head*

Back hyperextensions: w/ a 25 lb weight, 3X15

Cable pulldowns: (5 front, 5 to each side on all sets) 120 lbs: 3X15

KingWilder
10-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Wow.... I expected maybe one person to post in reply to that comment.... Clearly its a lot more funny then I had initially thought... LOL.

Like Deeder I too have a great new workout buddy, shes just loving weightlifting and keeps wanting to do heavier weights. I tell her for the first couple weeks we'll keep it low weight high rep so I can make sure her form is perfect and for the first month she'll stick with me on my routine to nail those excersizes and then ill start showing her how to squat and deadlift and we'll throw those in. I wont be able to watch her quite as much with those, since I cant do them myself, but oh well....

Anywho....

Pullups- assisted: 45 lbs: 4X5, 50 lbs: 1X5 (now, heres a weird question, any time I would go all the way down- not till i lockout mind you- once I got slightly below parallel my elbow will do this disgusting popping sound and it is EXTREMELY painful. Any ideas what is causing this?)

One armed dumbell rows- 25 lbs: 3X8 (these came up super easy, im going to have to grab the 30s next week *grins*)

Lat pulldowns: 75 lbs: 3X8

Skullcrushers: 40 lbs: 1X8, 45 lbs: 2X8

Tricep pulldowns: (these just killed me LOL) 45 lbs: 3X10

Deeder then convinced me and my partner to do his accessory work.... *shakes head*

Back hyperextensions: w/ a 25 lb weight, 3X15

Cable pulldowns: (5 front, 5 to each side on all sets) 120 lbs: 3X15

I wonder what else Deeder can convince you and your "partner" to do:angel:

haha, workouts looking good

Ruffian
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM

:indian:

You. Are. Evil.

Boys and their one track minds.... You actually think that I would share? pfft... Never going to happen!

deeder
10-24-2006, 07:08 PM

I'm working on it! :hump: :hump: :hump:

teaturtle
10-24-2006, 07:50 PM

lolololololol awesome xD

Ruffian
10-24-2006, 08:05 PM

You had better run boy...Very far, and very fast....

Ruffian
10-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Wow... so for some reason my knee has been HORRIBLE the past couple days, totally unsure as to why, but I guess it does what it has to do...

anyway... Gonna make this quick cuz I have a crapload of studying to do...

Bench Press: 45 lbs: 2X15, 60 lbs: 1X10, 75 lbs: 1X5, 80 lbs: 3X5 (I couldnt get the very last rep all the way up, it died about 3/4...), 75 lbs: 2X5
-->Best weight IVe done yet!!!
Pec Dec: 65 lbs: 3X8

Preacher curls: 45 lbs: 3x10
Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 3X10

I then went to show my partner how to squat, it took qiute a while,and was probably for the better because my knee was too sore to do any leg work today. After that, Lucas decided to convince us, yet again, to do ab work with him. So we did situps on the incline with the medicine balls (9 lbs) 3 X15. I couldnt really feel it though, I think im going to have to do more weight next time!

OVerall, that bench press destroyed me lol... Everything afterwards was dead, but it was good and I was happy to get the 80 lbs down. Hopefully ill be able to keep jacking up the weight!

Ricky Bobby
10-25-2006, 10:40 PM
good job on the bench. Keep it up.

Ruffian
10-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Friday workout:

Went really well, I was super tired that day as I could hardly sleep at all the night before(For some odd reason I was tossing and turning the WHOLE night!). I showed my workout buddy how to deadlift today, it took her a while to stop being afraid of the bar (she kept trying to pick it up a few inches away from her legs and then keepit away from her body the whole time, needless to say she kept loosing her balance... It was kinda funny to watch though). She finally started using her shins a bit as she was lifting it and started to like the movment... which is good.

Anywho:

Rack pulls: 45 lbs: 1X15, 95 lbs: 1X15, 135 lbs: 1X10, 185 lbs: 5X5 (came up pretty easy this time around!)
Arnies: 20 lbs: 1X8, 25 lbs: 2X8
rear delt raises: 12 lbs: 3X10
cable pulldowns: 120 lbs: 1X15 (5 straight, 5 to each side), 135 lbs: 2X10.

LEg extensions: 45 lbs: 3X8 (one leg at a time)
LEg Curls: 45 lbs: 3X8 (See above)
Hip adductor/inductor: 120 lbs: 3X10 (both ways).

Yeah. IT was a long workout today, but I felt pretty good; although I have a nasty ache in my knee today... Ugh...

KevinStarke
10-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Great rack pulls

Ricky Bobby
10-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Impressive rack pulls. It is no wonder your back looks really good.

Built
10-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Pretty sweet work on the rack pulls, babe!

Ruffian
10-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks you guys! My back definately seems much stronger in comparison to the rest of my body. LOL. Im very proud of them though! I cant wait till I get back to the 200 lb mark again.

KingWilder
10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
nice workout...like everyone else, I'm really impressed with your rack pulls

Ruffian
10-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks all you guys! I appreciate the comments! Mondays' workout went pretty well, and i got in a good 20 mins of stretching at the end! I have lost a pound and a half since I started eating 'healthy' a month or so ago, Basically ive just stopped eating from the cafeteria at lunch and am now bringing my own lunches, substituting coke for milk (some of the time) and just generally eating better... Yeah, Im pretty happy with the results as of right now, ill have to test my bf% in a month or so to see where I am.

Pull ups (assisted) - 45 lbs: 5X5
One arm dumbell rows - 30 lbs: 3X8 (these came up pretty easy... again- Ill have to try 35 lbs next time!)
Lat pulldowns- 80 lbs: 1X8, 90 lbs: 1X8, 85 lbs: 1X8

Skullcrushers - 45 lbs: 1X8, I decided to switch to a narrower grip after this and my goodness did it ever make itmore difficult! 40 lbs: 2X8
Tricep pulldowns: 50 lbs: 3X8

LEg extensions: 50 lbs: 3X8
leg curls: 45 lbs: 3X8

Next week my partner will be starting on her own routine, ill probably have her do one of the WBB ones, or mabye a bgb adaption... Dunno yet, but Ill put something together for her.

Ricky Bobby
11-01-2006, 07:25 PM
good looking workout Ruffian. Good job on those rows.

teaturtle
11-01-2006, 07:50 PM
your workouts look fun lol.

anyway, just stopping by.. gl with your knee btw :)

Ruffian
11-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Ricky- Thanks, my first time with 30 lb dumbells ever!
Teaturtle-Thanks, hopefully Ill be able to get in soonish for surgery *crosses fingers*

Anyway, i havnt been around much the past couple days cuz of that school stuff *wrinkles nose* So ill plug up two days worth of stuff on here.

Wednesday:
Bench Press: Found out that I guess Im doing a 'j-sweep' with these, and this was the first time in the last year deeder ever noticed; i guess you cant tell if you are standing beside someone. Anyway, I bumped my weight back down so I could concentrate on my form, Ill probably do that again the next time I do bench press too.
45 lbs: 2X15, 80 lbs: 1X5, 75 lbs: 4X5

Incline Dumbell press: 25 lbs: 3X8
Preacher curls: 45 lbs: 3X10
Bicep curls: 20 lbs: 3X8 (for some reason my arms were just dead that day).

On Friday I was trying to recover from a cold ,so I was pretty lethargic and ended up taking a super long time to workout... Oh well!

Rack Pulls: 45 lbs: 1X15, 95 lbs: 2X10, 185 lbs: 1X5, 195 lbs: 2X5, 205 lbs: 2X5 (on the last set my knee started to throb on the fourth rep, I figured that was a good enough place to stop). I normally do these with wraps but this week I did 3/4 of the work without and Ill tell ya; my forearms were just dead by the end!

REar delt raises- 15 lbs: 3X8
Arnies: 25 lbs: 2X8, 20 lbs: 1X10
Cable pulldowns: 135 lbs: 2X15 (5 front, 5 to each side), 145 lbs: 2X10 (straight)

I then took a nice 20 min stretch session to help loosen up my knee... seems to have helped a bit.

im going away next week from the 7th-->13th (Then on the 13th Deeder (and I) are going out for his 20th bday supper!!!) and I wont be working out on those days, Im thinking it might be a good time for a break anyway, give my knee some time to rest a bit as it seems to be loosing some resiliency. Anyway, I get to go down to New Jersey (and probably get to see New York for the first time ever) and go on a farm with a ton of horses; HEAVEN!

anyways, I should be working out on monday and i will have my laptop with me on this trip but I doubt Ill be up and posting until I come back!

Ruffian
11-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Just poppin in!

Im in New Jersey right now and had to say that I was SOOO Happy to find out that the farm im going to be working for has actual 'real' gym equipment!! Including a powerlifting rack!!! They are planning on building a huge gym on top of their new barn and one of the women at this barn was a competitor in the national figure circuit! This girl is f****** built! No offense or anything Built, you know I love ya, but this girl is totally ripped and she comes out and trains horses for hours after lifting! Anyway, she and I will probably end up doing some training together over the summer, with her husband who was also a professional body builder/ex-powerlifter.

I tell ya man, this is friggen sweet!

I was expecting to have absolutely no means to workout but it appears im wrong! Anyway, thats just my little pop in note.... Just had to say that I was so happy ill be able to keep lifting, maybe Ill actually get a chance to do some powerlifting in the fall (since Ill be able to train my squat and deadlift post surgery *YIPEE!*) Im still taking this week off though, my knee needs the rest.

Ill post again on monday!

Ruffian
11-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Back home... After a rather long layover in both Newark and Minneapolis (9 hours in minneapolis... so I went to the mall of america ;) ) and I got home and Im just totally hatched... Ugh... Oh well, went to workout today and despite a headache totally crushed the numbers I was doing pre-working vacation. YAY! I love taking breaks and coming back strong... literally..

Bench press- 45 lbs: 2X15, 80 lbs: 1X5, 85 lbs: 1X5. At this point Deeder came over and showed me how to do the powerlifting type-bench. I guess I was lifting my feet up and stuff *supposed no-no* anyways, I cut back my numbers and worked on my form... again... The first time was really difficult and the second time I pumped them out so easy it was stupid: 80 lbs: 2X5.

Incline dumbell press: 25 lbs: 1X8, 30 lbs: 2x8 (Did these right beside some guy doing the exact same excersize for 8 reps with 20 lb weights... te he he... that makes this whole thing totally worthwhile!)

Bicep curl: 25 lbs: 3x8 (came up EASY! - I couldnt believe it.... Ive been struggling with these for the past couple months *shrugs*)

PReacher bench: 45 lbs: 3X10

After that I died, Ive had this nasty headache for like 5 days, no joke, and it just wont go away. STarted as a migraine and has now downgraded to an irritating and stubborn pounding headache... I cant concentrate, and just working out seemed to make it worse (increased bloodflow i imagine). If it doesnt go away in a couple days ill probably go see a doc... Taking this much advil affects the potence of my puffers... ugh...

Still no word on the surgery btw.... *tear*

Ricky Bobby
11-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Shame on you destroying some guys ego like that!! He probably went home and cried himself to sleep.

teaturtle
11-15-2006, 10:36 PM
^ Yeah, poor guy... :(

Ruffian
11-16-2006, 08:06 AM
*brushes dirt off shoulder*

Muahaha!!!!:thumbup:

It was really quite funny *nods*. My training buddy was curling 20s and there was some guys who found it quite unbelievable that the two of us were curling more then them... It always makes me laugh when that happens, Deeder said she should have walked up when she put her twenties away, stretched like she was tired and then asked

"so how long did it take you to work up to the twenties?"

Oh dear, that would have been VERY funny!

teaturtle
11-16-2006, 10:30 AM
are those DB or BB curls?

Ruffian
11-16-2006, 12:26 PM
are those DB or BB curls?

DB of course!!! Pfft... BB curls suck ;)

KevinStarke
11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Workouts are lookin ace lil lady

teaturtle
11-16-2006, 04:13 PM
awesome cause i dont think ive ever seen a guy do 20lb BB curls... thatd be pathetic actually

Ruffian
11-18-2006, 12:28 PM
TT- Yes... that it would... Although, I think some of the uber skinny computer geeks at my school might struggle with it. I think they think that lifting up a mouse is rocket science, they probably sit there and struggle with the physics of the motion and then when they attempt it realize that they are far too weak to do it.... They would then go grab a stick and use hte leverage to turn it over.

Wow. I really thought way too much about that...

Kevin- Thankkkssss.... *blushes*

Oki, time for my fave workout of all.. I totally DESTROYED my past weeks rack pulls and could have easily done more weight except:
1) I was focusing on going all the way to lockout, I guess Ive been about one inch short,
2) I am still trying to build up my grip. I got all but the very last set done without wraps and only did the last set because my calluses were starting to rip off :S
3) I was putting the bar all the way down after every rep, therefore trying to avoid using my momentum to help it back up... God was that hard, especially without wraps!
and
4)I was so happy to get this weight done for the 5X5 as I could hardly squeak out one set of it before WITH wraps let alone 5 sets without wraps.

So without further adieu a very proud Ruffian presents her rack pulls ;) :

45 lbs: 1X15, 95 lbs: 2X10, 205 lbs: 5X5

(next week I will try for my past max of 220, I think Ill be able to get that out pretty easy!)

My workout was cut short today because we started late and we were having supper early at my house. Its been an extremely stressfull couple days at home because my step mother just started chemotherapy for her breast cancer. Everyone has been stepping in to fill teh void (cleaning and cooking) so my time has been strained when that is combined with school, work, and trying to maintain a relationship with Lucas and my girlfriends. Its kinda sad I only got a few excersizes done today, but at least I hit my goal for the day on the rack pulls!

Leg Extensions: 50 lbs: 3X8

Leg curls: 50 lbs: 3X8 (for some reason the last set was EXTREMELY painful, I ended up stopping halfway through. My knee was fine after and it is fine today; Ill steer clear of leg work next week though).

Arnies: 25 lbs: 3X8 (I attempted the 30lb weights for the second one, but the rack pulls had totally exhausted me and even though Im sure I could do them on a good day, I just couldnt summon the strength to lift it up to get them started. Ill try these again next week but frankly, Im not hugely concerned. I was struggling with the 25 lb weights last week after doing far less weight on the pulls, so for me to get these after doing far more weight and havfe it easy enough to attempt to bump the weight was pretty damn cool for me)

So yeah.. been quite stressed and tired but that week long vacay did WONDERS for my strength, it was insane! I think I need to make a point of taking one week vacations once every 2 months or so.... Ill probably put up some pictures again next month, the ones I took earlier this year were off of a 3 or 4 month break, so needless to say Im a little bit better looking now that Ive been lifting again.

Ricky Bobby
11-20-2006, 06:57 PM
sick rack pulls ruffian!!

Ruffian
11-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Magical Double Post

Ruffian
11-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks Ricky!

As you guys may have read in my post in General Chat I did the unthinkable yesterday and squat! I didnt workout on Monday because of personal reasons, and a headache so my plan was to do mondays work on wednesday, wednesday's work on thursday and friday's work on friday. Obviously that never happened.

I went to do my usual pull-ups on the assisted machine and was watching my friend warm up for squats and hmmmed and hawed on the thought for a while before finally deciding

**** it! I want to squat, what do I have to lose anyway?

So I walked over there and said to mahley (my workout buddy) that I wanted to work in with her. She was a bit hesitant at first but whatever, I was already going in for surgery and I was getting sick of this whole no leg-work thing. Its so aggravating to watch my friend and boyfriend squat and deadlift, sweating like pigs, while I am forced to just sit on my leg extension machine and pump them out. So I went and did a full WBB 1 leg day and noticed a couple things.

1) My form was near perfect, my knees no longer caved in like they used to EVEN THOUGH I was not using a knee wrap (it was in the wash). Next time I will use my knee brace to be on the safe side but clearly something Ive been doing in the last little while has strenthened my hips enough to prevent this.

2) I can go much deeper in the squat then I used to and seem alot more confident in the movement (odd cuz I havnt squatted in 6 months)

3) Im doing almost the exact same amount of weight I was doing last time, and again, after 6 months of no squatting!

So without further comment you can finally see the numbers on my extremely long overdue leg day!

squats: 45 lbs: 1X15, 55 lbs: 1X10, 80 lbs: 1X6, 1X8 (I could have easily gone heavier but I really didnt want to push it.. .I think ID have at least another 20 lbs in me!)

Hack Squats: 55 lbs: 1X10, 100 lbs: 1X7, 1X8

SLDL: (these were coming out super easy the first set so I added on a TON of weight and then they felt decent!!) 95 lbs: 1X8, 145 lbs: 1X8

Went to do leg curls but for some reason those hurt my knee when nothing else did.... odd...

Seated calf raises: 35 lbs: 4X10 (I think I have abnormally strong calves, even though i havnt done calf work in ages I was pumping out 20 lbs more then my friend who has been squatting heavy for the last few weeks).

On that note, when I was squatting with my friend I helped her with her ATF squats... first off, shed been getting wimpy and no longer doing ATF; something I quickly banished of course ;) Secondly, she wasnt really working herself. I asked her how she felt with 65 lbs and she said "eh" so I said, put on 15 lbs more and she gave me a look like I was bonkers. But afterwards she was huffing and puffing and struggling to pump out every set, at the end she was like "wow, I really havnt been squatting heavy have I?"

LOL

Anyway: This will be a copy of my new routine for the next little while; Im going to try it out for the next 2 weeks and see how it goes... IF it works well then Im going to continue with it for another month before starting into a 'heavier' more 'intense' routine to build up strength. I think it is smarter of me to go into this surgery at my best and strongest then to play it safe and atrophy my muscles all to ****.

TIME TO SQUAT!!!

New Routine- Slight varient on WBB 1 (LMK what you think)

Day 1: Chest/Back

Flat Barbell Bench Press- 5X5
Low Incline Dumbell Press - 2X(6-8)
Dips - 2X (6-8)
--> Im thinking each week Ill do either the low incline Dumbell press or dips, lmk what you think of that!

Deadlifts - 5X5
Assisted Pullups - 2X(6-8)
Shrugs (I really dont care too much about these- Ill work my traps enough when I deadlift anyway) : 1X10
BO Barbell Rows OR One Armed Dumbell Rows: 2X(6-8)
--> The OR is there because I need to have my form critiqued on these as I havnt done BO rows in almost a year and until I have my form critiqued so I can make sure I am doing / teaching them right we will continue wiht the one armed rows.

Day 3: Legs

ATF Squats: 5X5 (Im going to be experimenting with these over the next week, moving my stance around to find out if I do better wide or narrow; I seem to have much stronger hammies then I do quads so Ill probably end up in a wider stance then I have now).
Hack Squats: 2X (6-8)
SLDLs: 2X(6-8)
Seated Calf Raises: 4X10

Day 5: Accesory Work

Arnies: 2X(6-8)
--> Once in a while we will switch these for a Military Press + Lateral Raise
Rear Delt Raises (I can never remember the actual name for these things): 2X(6-8)
Narrow Grip Bench Press: 2X(6-8)
Skull Crushers: 2X(6-8)
Seated Dumbell Curl: 2X(6-8)
Preacher Curl: 1X10
Hyperextensions: 2X10 (for my workout buddy- for some reason she loves them)
Cable pulldowns: 2X10

LMK what you think of this routine. It is very similar to WBB 1 the only difference is the 5X5 for my compound lifts and a couple of minor changes to different excersizes. Hopefully Ill be able to stick with this and ditch my other one (knee co-operating of course) so cross your fingers for me!!!!

deeder
11-23-2006, 08:50 AM
I think that may be one of the longest posts I've ever seen on wbb... I've been sitting next to her the whole time and honestly thought she was writing the first chapter of a book.

Ruffian
11-23-2006, 08:53 AM
I think that may be one of the longest posts I've ever seen on wbb... I've been sitting next to her the whole time and honestly thought she was writing the first chapter of a book.

Oh shut up!

Im just excited cuz I finally go to squat... Dont ruin my fun :P

ShockBoxer
11-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Leg curls wreck my knees so badly it's not funny. They're a weak spot in my skeletal structure anyways because of the accumulated damage compensating for my duane's syndrome from birth... but leg curls are THE wrecker for me. I just stick to squat and dead variations for all my leg exercising needs.

Ruffian
11-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Leg curls wreck my knees so badly it's not funny. They're a weak spot in my skeletal structure anyways because of the accumulated damage compensating for my duane's syndrome from birth... but leg curls are THE wrecker for me. I just stick to squat and dead variations for all my leg exercising needs.
They seem to have a similar effect for me... SLDL's didn't hurt at all, so should the squat thing not work out then I will replace the leg curls with SLDL's, although I hope that wont be necessary.... The weird thing is that the leg curl was was one of two exersizes my doctor specifically mentioned! To be frank, im more worried about the atrophy in my muscles then I am about doing further damage to my knee (Since the problem is supposed to be fixed entirely with minimally invasive surgery). Don't get me wrong, im still going to play it safe, but there is no sense in playing it so safe that I actually do myself more harm then good... if that makes any sense at all...

*ShrugS*

I think I just talked in a total circle.

Does anyone else think it would be a *little* freaky to have your doctor say your knee problem is one thing and experience more pain from the exersizes he specifically said to do then the ones he said to not do?! This makes me wonder if he has the right problem or if it is something else entirely unrelated. I would push for an MRI but in Saskatchewan you have to wait for a year to get an MRI if they think you might have a brain tumor let alone for knee pain....

This is one of those times I wish I lived in the states.

BTW- What exactly is Duane's syndrome.. Ive heard of it before but I cant quite place it...

Ricky Bobby
11-23-2006, 02:38 PM
There are more MRI machines in Boston then in all of canada. I have heard of this before, a year for an MRI thats madness. Anyways congrats on your squating.

Ruffian
11-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Ricky- Isnt that absolutely disgusting???
I went and picked up some creatine and glucosamine yesterday and started on both today. I was told to anticipate a 10 lb gain in water weight *shrugS*, Oh well... Deeder just started back on creatine too; we can be bloated together ;)

Anyway, yesterday I deadlifted *yay*, and they were super easy but I didnt want to push myself too hard... My knees a bit on the stiff side today but it isnt sore, I think im just going to have to make a point of stretching really well after I do any leg work; but Im hoping that glucosamine will help a bit.

Anyway heres how it went:
Deadlifts-
45 lbs: 1X15, 70 lbs: 1X10, 135 lbs: 5X5
-> I experimented a bit with the stance on these, Im going to try a bit of a wider stance then I was doing them in before; it seems to take a bit more of the strain off my knee.

Bench Press-
45 lbs: 1X15, 65 lbs: 1X10, 75 lbs: 1X5, 80 lbs: 1X5, 85 lbs: 3X5
--> I changed a couple things on these, firstly, I noticed at the PL comp that I use a much narrower grip then everyone did there so I widened my grip a fair amount and immediately noticed some strength gains, another thing was that I added a pause at the bottom. Im hoping to start PL'ing after my knee heals so I want to do as much training as possible for it now to prepare. The pause made it a ton more difficult!

One arm Dumbell rows: 30 lbs: 1X8, 35 lbs: 1X8 (first time with the 35's!!)
Pull ups (Assisted): 30 lbs: 2X7

It was a short workout today but I think that moving the deadlift/bench to the focus of the workout helped a ton. My workout buddy was totally exhausted after that workout which was great. Each week we are going to switch which we do first (Bench or deadlift) so we can focus on each in turn. After my recouperation from surgery we will start on a bill starr kind of thing because not only am I planning on getting into pl'ing but so is my buddy (cool huh?).

I wish I would have competed in the BP only part of that competition though *wrinkles nose* I would have won!!

WBBIRL
11-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Creatine never bloated me, in fact it never did anything for me.

Benching wider has helped me alot too, and since you compete the pause should be a part of your training. As I understand it, most if not all competitions require even the slightest of pauses which can throw you a huge curve ball if your not ready for it.

KingWilder
11-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Lookin' good...I used to have a slightly narrow grip with BP but widened it to to pinky on the rings and I like it much better

Ruffian
11-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Duno if you guys saw the post on GChat but I am on a waitlist for surgery Tomorrow! IF I get in then I have a feeling this is going to actually become about my road to recovery, Ill outline what we do for physio and stuff but I have a feeling that the creatine is going to have to wait!

KingWilder- I prefer it too.... I find that I am much more secure in the movement with the wider grip and have a much smaller tendency of doing the "j-swing" Deeder said I was doing.

ShockBoxer
11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
BTW- What exactly is Duane's syndrome.. Ive heard of it before but I cant quite place it...

If you've heard of it from a source besides me in another post you're doing better than most of the doctors and half the optomitrists I've seen.

It's nothing spectacular, on paper. A certain nerve pathway didn't develop in my brain when I was in my mom's womb. I can't move my left eye to or past center... it's locked to about 80 degrees of movement maximum facing my nose (type II, which is better than type I, locked outwards, in my mind). To compensate (avoiding double vision caused by looking straight ahead with my right eye) my head is pre-dominantly 'off center' with both eyes looking straight ahead from the right hand side of my eye sockets and my nose and face are aligned 45 degrees to the left. It makes me look like I'm up to no good... shifty or avoiding eye contact. 'Sly eyes' as my grandmother says.

The real treat is that, as all lifters know, the body follows the head. To prevent careering off walls when I was running as a baby my feet shifted so that they're permanently outwards as if I was getting ready to squat. This worked fine as a kid with a light weight and flexible bones but as a man it's subjected my legs, back, and even shoulder and especially neck to some serious strain. Orthodics help but can't realign the foot: If I run 'straight' I will indeed still careen off a wall unless I have my left eye shut (but it's still straining to move to center underneath my eyelid so I get a wicked 'cross-eye' headache).

My knees, left shin, left ankle, and left something (where my traps meet neck muscles) are always throbbing in dull pain. Like a pulse.

Journal-jack over! Have a fast recovery from surgery.

Ruffian
11-30-2006, 06:57 PM
So today was pretty tough, definately spent the whole day high on codeine, I couldnt sleep hardly at all last night. I woke up in the middle of the night and puked from the pain... Not fun at all! I only have 5 more T3's left, I think Ill try to use advil for tonight so I can bear going to school tomorrow.

I tried the first of the excersizes which is just a simple bending of the knee, the swelling in my knee made popping the stitches very easy and I can lift the joint one and one half inches off the ground.

Im just going to say one thing; Showering is a ****ing bitch.

Hockey66
11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
I hope you get well soon, I can't even imagine the pain you're going though.

I'm sure you'll be up and about sooner than you know it. About the showering, I'm sure deeder will be willing to lend a helping hand, or two. :hump:

Just curious, what school are you going to?

Stumprrp
11-30-2006, 07:29 PM
school? you just had knee sugery! take the friday off!

i take days off for no reason like today, you have a real reason and its a friday-lol

hope you get well

Ruffian
11-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Hockey66- I would be more then happy for his help, except he doesnt live with me.... Plus that whole type of physical activity is out of the question for right now...

Stump- I would, but its the last day of class before finals... Its kinda necessary for me to go.. Ill probably only make it through one class, Deeder has my car and will probably drive me home shortly after... Its totally going to depend upon how I feel tomorrow, and how I sleep tonight!

teaturtle
11-30-2006, 09:40 PM
feel better :]

KingWilder
11-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Hope you feel better soon

get more drugs! :)

Ruffian
12-01-2006, 12:51 PM
So im at school right now and bored SILLY!!!

ShockBoxer - I totally missed that post, the reason Ive heard of it is because a friend of mine in elementary school had a father with the same syndrome (although I think he had the Type 1) and I tend to absorb random/useless information....

Teaturtle- Thanks!!! Im hoping that It will be decently fast.

KingWilder - I asked, but they wouldnt give them to me.. Ive only got 8 hours left of T3's, time for me to start loading up on Advil liqui-gels! *Shudders*... I was having fun with the codeine.

This morning I was a bit more flexible and was in much less pain then the night before (Thank God). I can now lift (by bending) my knee a little over two inches off the bed, a big improvement on yesterday. I took some pix of my knee this morning after icing it twice, ill try to get them up. Its gone down about a quarter of what it was yesterday, but by the end of the day today I imagine it will be plumped up again. Walking is extremely painful (with crutches) and I need to stop and take a lot of breaks, i didn't anticipate it would drain me this much and Im wishing I took stumps advice and just relaxed today. *sigh*.

Thanks for the support you guys, on a good note another girlfriend of mine from school is going to start lifting... Shes going to be lifting with my girlfriend while I recover, but Im hoping in 2 weeks i should be able to do some BW work at the gym, although, this might be a bit optimistic on my part.

Ruffian
12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Heres the pix of my knee.... 2 days after surgery....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Ruffian2001/knee2.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/Ruffian2001/knee1.jpg

The bandaids are covering my stitches...

OneBadUnit
12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Doesn't look bad at all (though, cant see the other for a comparison on swelling) But seems to be going very well ! When is your first FU with doc ?

ddegroff
12-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Glad to see the pain is going away!

It seemed the first night is always the worst and it gets better fromt there.

Ruffian
12-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Doesn't look bad at all (though, cant see the other for a comparison on swelling) But seems to be going very well ! When is your first FU with doc ?

-->I guess I should have put a pic up of the other one, It is extremely swollen, normally you can see a full outline of my knee cap! My FU with the doc is in 5 weeks, need to call and book an appt tomorrow

Glad to see the pain is going away!

It seemed the first night is always the worst and it gets better fromt there.
-->Im glad too, although, I definatley overdid myself at school the other day.

So yeah.... Friday I overdid myself by like 10X, I definately should have gone for an hour long outing my first time instead of 6 hrs at school. Stupid moi. Anyway, by Friday night my knee had regressed back to where it was the night before (Extremely swollen and painful) and I was out of T3's.... ****ty... So Saturday Deeder FINALLY came over (hed been sick and/or tired the nights before and hadnt made it over to see me) and we spent the day just chilling and watching movies. WE went out for maybe an hour during the day, just enough to help me loosen up and today my knee seems quite a bit better. I have progressed to two sets of ten reps for my excersizes, although, my flexion still is no where near normal.

This morning I was able to bend my knee to about half of its normal flexion, which is a huge improvement (Yay me!) and I was able to hobble a bit better then usual (progressing to normal walking with a limp instead of a gimpy 1" p/step hobble). Im still exhausted and am supposed to be writing exams not this coming week but the next one... I have to say this was the worst possible time for surgery and my marks will more then likely reflect this.

Goodbye funding from mom. :(

Ruffian
12-04-2006, 10:35 AM
So Sunday I overdid myself again, by the end of the day I had lost half the flexion I had gained the day before (joy), but this morning I was able to walk half normal with just a slight limp, which is much better then the 1/2" and 2" steps Ive been taking before. Im still on crutches because if past experience proves right then I will be right back to where I was by the end of the day, and it is still extremely icy out here.

Im missing the gym :(

KingWilder
12-04-2006, 12:08 PM
hang in there

slow and steady wins the race...

[/tortoise and the hare reference]

Ruffian
12-04-2006, 12:11 PM
hang in there

slow and steady wins the race...

[/tortoise and the hare reference]

Brilliant lol... Didja come up with that one all by yourself ;)

Yeah, that is my plan... I want to do this right so I dont have to do it again... This is definately an experience that I am NOT enjoying!

Ruffian
12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Well had a make up exam today which I totally MURDERED (in a good way), and get this... There was one other person in that make up test (out of the like 500 kids in the class) and that person happened to be Nhlfan... The only Reginian (that I know of) other then myself and deeder.

Crazy huh?

Anyway, today I am actually able to walk with a slight limp. My flexion still isnt great but weight bearing is almost back to normal except on stairs (that gets a little difficult with the combined flexion and weightbearing). Ive been pushing myself pretty hard today, doing deep flexion testing as I sit, stretching it a ton and I somehow or another went a little too far with one of the stretches which made me get all stiff again. This is one of those one step forward two steps back kinda things. Ugh.

Anyway, Im thinking (depending on how this goes) that on Friday I might go do some upper-body work. Stuff that doesnt involve any kind of engagement in the legs (ie, no rack pulls or anything of that sort). Just so I can get active because my ass is ****ing sore from sitting on it for a week straight... aaannnddd Im missing the gym like CRAZY! Maybe Ill even go on thursday with Deeder... I dunno yet...

But definately no leg work until next week at the earliest, I want to have at least 90% flexion back before I start doing any kind of weighted leg work- preferably all of it... Even though the doc warned me that I may not be as flexible now as I was before.

At least Im walking right? Im thinking I will only use crutches on especially icy days for the next couple days, just until Im certain that I am able to fully stabilize myself. LAst thing I need is to fall down and smack my knee all to crap...

Ruffian
12-07-2006, 01:28 PM
WEll yesterday I was feeling REALLY good, I went out with a girlfriend to do some xmas shopping for our men and I did a lot of physio work at home (stretches and strengthening excersizes). I felt very little pain, and was able to walk all day without crutches!!

And then today... well, today is not quite so good

All the progress I had made is gone, again. Im really hating this one step forward two steps back thing; its getting old reeeaaally fast! My semi-normal walk is now only quasi-normal and I probably should have been back on crutches today, although, my knee wasnt too bad when I first woke up.

Anyone have any recommendations to help me avoid this?

Ruffian
12-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Well on Thursday I decided to go to the gym and do some upper body work. I did the upper body day of WBB1, benching was difficult because my one leg could not bend as far as the other leg so I couldnt brace myself like I normally do. Made for some difficult balance issues so I didnt push myself overly hard.

Bench Press:
45 lbs: 1X15
55 lbs: 1X10
75 lbs: 2X5
80 lbs: 3X5

Incline DB Bench:
25 lbs: 2X8

And since I couldnt do pullups:

Lat Pulldowns:
75 lbs: 2X8
90 lbs: 1X6

One arm dumbell rows:
30 lbs: 2X8
--> some girls were standing doing the same excersize with the same weight but with HORRIBLE form. They were twisting left and right but giving me satisfied looks, that always makes me laugh. But yeah... enough ego stroking!

Hyperextensions:
25 lb weight- 3X15

Medicine Ball incline situps:
15 lb medicine ball- 4X10

Then did my physio... the usual

Today I went again, and this time did the accessory work day for the WBB1 routine.

CGBP:
55 lbs: 1X10
65 lbs: 1X8
75 lbs: 1X8
--> again I was careful today to avoid the balance issues...

Bicep curls:
25 lbs: 2X7

Rear Delt raises:
15 lbs: 2X8

Arnies:
25 lbs: 2X8

Skullcrushers:
35 lbs: 1X8
40 lbs: 1X8

Preacher Curls:
45 lbs: 2X8 (switched grips from my norm)

Hyper extension:
25 lbs: 2X15

I did my usual physio stuff and then added on squats with an ab-ball (put the ball between yourself and the wall and then squat down). I got through two sets of ten before it started to kill. When I can get through 3 sets of 10 (the physios recommendation) Ill do BW normal squaats without the ab-ball, then gradually progress to squats with the bar, and weights. I miss squatting :( Again.

ddegroff
12-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Wow that all sounds difficult with a bum knee.

The hard part is almost over.

Ruffian
12-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Wow that all sounds difficult with a bum knee.

The hard part is almost over.

It is, and it is getting much better already. The only swelling that remains is at the part where the lateral release was made, everything else is just about to normal- looks wise.

Ruffian
12-12-2006, 01:22 PM
So I worked out yesterday with Lucas, doing the ME bench day on westside.. I made it through most of the workout ok, but by the time we got to the shoulder part my neck tightened right up so I stopped. Good news though; my knee flexion is now 100%! Weightbearing deep flexion is still painful, but that is coming along very fast too.

YAY!

Anyways... This was one of the hardest bench days I have EVER done... I definately would like to folow something of this style when I recover.

Incline Bench:
45 lbs: !x5, 55 lb 1X5, 65 lb 1X5, 75 lb 1X5, 85lb 1X3
I then had two failed attempts at 95 lbs. I could get it off my chest but it stuck about an inch away.

CGBP:
65 lb: 1X5, 75 lb: 1X5, 85 lb: 1X5

Biceps:
(This was by far the hardest thing Ive ever done for biceps, the sheer amount of them was insane.)

Hammer curls:
20 lbs: 3X12

Preacher curls:
40 lbs: 1X12, 45 lbs: 1X12

ddegroff
12-12-2006, 02:15 PM
That Bi work does look tough, 12 reps would kill me.

Glad to hear knee flexion is back!!

Ruffian
12-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks ddegroff, seems the boringness of my recent workouts has driven away all my other posting buddies :P

Today I bw squatted to slightly below parallel for three sets of ten reps, I then used the bar for two sets of ten and it felt pretty good. I then did about 200 m worth of walking lunges. Those totally destroyed me!!

My friend wanted to bench today so I decided that I might as well...

55 lbs 1X10
65 lbs: 1X5
75 lbs: 1X5
85 lbs: 1X5
95 lbs: 1X2 (YAY)

My leg drive was totally done after those lunges, and had I not done them Im sure I could have got at least 2 or three more. LOL

YAY for getting the 95 lber though!

Chris686
12-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Nice job with the squats!

I guess the surgery wasn't too serious? I mean, you're already squatting!

Regardless though, I know how much of a pain in the ass it is recovering from surgery. I had a cast up to my elbow covering my thumb for 2 months when I had wrist surgery. My wrist ROM will suck forever, but I remember how difficult squeezing a foam ball was.
Um.. Well, I seem to have forgotten what my point was, but nice recovery so far. You'll be squatting with a couple plates in no time.

ddegroff
12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
The rehab is coming along quickly!

Nice work with 95lbs.

Ruffian
12-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Wow I havnt updated this in a while. Completely forgot about it actually, te he he...

I will post what I can remember, need to stay on top of this thing...

Monday-ME Bench Press (did this with Lucas)

Dumbell flat bench-
20 lb: 1X5
25 lb: 1X5
30 lb: 1X5
35 lb: 1X5
40 lb: fail, 1.5X5 (I could have done more but I kinda psyched myself out)

CGBP
75 lb: 1X5
80 lb: 1X5
85 lb: 1X5

Hammer curl
20 lb: 12X3

Cross body hammer curl (Deeder showed me these- tough)
12 lb: 12X3

Lat pulldowns
80 lb: 4X10

BO rows
65 lb: 1X5
85 lb: 1X5
95 lb: 1X5
105 lb: 1X5

Standing Shoulder Press
25 lb: 3X10,8,8

Front Shoulder Raise
15 lb: 2X15

Lateral Shoulder Raise
15 lb: 2X15

Tuesday:

Deadlift
(took this fairly easy until my last set)
65 lbs: 2X10
95 lbs: 1X10
145 lbs: 1X5 (Felt really good, didnt hurt at all)

Squat:
45 lbs: 3X15 (REALLY wide stance, takes some of the strain off my knee)
70 lbs: 1X10 (felt good...)

Ill be starting to add on more weight over the next couple weeks, judging on how my knee feels. I cant remember ANYTHIng I did last week, which sux, but thats the way it goes lol.

My knee has gotten much better, I was able to do a 5 minute jog with slight pain (I havnt been able to jog period since surgery, so this is a start). Yay! I love getting better cuz Im SICK of this pain already.

KingWilder
12-20-2006, 12:50 AM
looks good, glad to see you're back at it

how did all your exams go?

ddegroff
12-20-2006, 11:06 AM
the recovery is coming along great!

You'll be back to 100% before you know it.

Ruffian
12-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Mike- Yea its coming along... Not quite as fast as I would like, but I seem to be on schedual. My exams were, o.k. I totally bit the dust on my calculus final. My knee started cramping up REALLY painfully after 20 mins and this stupid Russian bitch refused to let me go move around at all! Its very difficult to focus on something I hate with a passion when I have pain radiating up my leg :(

How about yours?

ddegroff- Im glad it is, I was really happy with the deadlifts!!!! Now just for slowly putting on weight!

KevinStarke
12-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Awesome workouts lil lady, definitelly a trooper.

Ruffian
01-03-2007, 09:16 PM
New Years resolution #1- Keep my journal updated!

I started a new routine after this competition so I can get as much out of my bench as possible after the next competition so I can qualify for nationals and maybe even break the provincial record.

Anywho it involves percentage weights so I wont put them up, but its a 7 week bench program.

Monday:
WEEK 1
- Close grip bench -3 sets of 8 (Legs up through to week 4,
Legs Down weeks 4-7)
- Floor Lying Tricep Extensions- 3 sets of 8-10(use curl bar)
- Weighted Dips 3 sets of 6-8 reps
- Forearms and Biceps 6-10 sets of 10-15 reps
- Deadlifts

Wednesday:
- Wide grip bench - 3 sets of 5 (Legs up weeks 1-3, 4-7 Legs down)
(3X8 after week 4)
- Incline Bench 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Shoulder Press 3 sets of 10-12 reps
- Front Raises with Dumbells - 4 sets of 10-15 reps
- Rows or pullups

Friday:
- Regular bench(each week time between sets decreases by 5 sec,
beginning with 60 s) 9 sets of 3 (3 wide, 3 med. 3 close grip)
- Rotator cuffs 6-8 sets of 10-15 reps
- Body weight dips 3 sets of as many as possible
- Squat

I will also do at least one day of GPP p/week, for example high rep snatches, static holds, medicine ball throws, squat jump throws etc.

Now... for today' and yesterday's work.

Yesterday:
GPP day-
one arm dumbell snatches: 2X30 (p/arm) - 25 lb
Medicine ball throws: 2X20 (p/side) - 15 lb medicine ball
Static holds: 2X20 (30, 35 lbs)

Today:
LU wide grip bench: 45-2X10, 75- 3X5
Incline Bench: 60 - 3X8
Shoulder press: 25 lb- 3X8, 20 lb- 1X10
Front shoulder raises: 12 lb- 4X15
Deadlift: 65 - 1X10, 95 - 1X10, 115- 1X10, 145 - 2X5

Ruffian
01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Wow... today was a toughie!

- Regular bench:
80 lbs: 3X3 Wide, 3X3 Normal, 3X3 close
- Rack Lockouts:
105 lbs: 3X3
- Rotator cuffs 6-8 sets of 10-15 reps:
2.5 lbs: 2X10, 10 lbs: 4X10
- Body weight dips:
3 sets: 5,8,7

Ruffian
01-11-2007, 11:31 AM
WEll it kinda sucks keeping a journal when no one posts in it :(

Anyway...

Monday-

LU CGBP- 45: 2X10, 70:3x8
Floor Lying tricep extensions (EZ curl bar)): 30 lbs: 1X10, 35 lbs: 2X10
Weighted Dips (this routine is made for big-strong boys...): -45 lbs: 3X7
Forearm Excersizes (I dont know the names, when you curl the weight up - elbows down and elbows up... ) - 25 lbs: 4X10
Bicep excersizes (mix of hammer curls, and cross-body curls): 25 lbs:1X6, 20 lbs:2X12, 15 lbs:2X12, 12 lbs: 1X15
Deadlifts: 55 lbs:1X15, 95 lbs:1X10, 125 lbs:2X10, 145 lbs:2X6

Wednesday-
LU WGBP- 45: 1X15,1X10, 80 :3X5
Incline Bench: 65: 3X8
Shoulder Press: 20 lbs: 3X12
Front Shoulder Raises: 12 lbs:1X15, 15 lbs:3X15
BO rows: 45 lbs:1X15, 95 lbs:1X10, 115 lbs:2X8
Lat Pulldowns: 75 lbS:1X12, 85 lbs:1X12

WBBIRL
01-11-2007, 11:43 AM
which routine would that be? or was it locally made routine?

Good work either way, working around an injury really does suck.

ddegroff
01-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Things are looking up, the rehab looks like its going well!

Keep at it!

vdizenzo
01-12-2007, 07:23 AM
I'll be in here. I'm just getting started on this board. I'm going to start a log. So let's make a deal, I'll post in yours if you post in mine.

Ruffian
01-12-2007, 12:02 PM
WBBIRL- This routine was made by the (either pres or vice pres) of powerlifting CAnada, hes also the main coach in Saskatchewan and the guy Ill be training with (hopefully) when I get my bench shirt. His name is Jeff Butt and hes ridiculously strong! I can get the link for you if you want it! But yes, working around injuries sucks ass, but you do what you can, and eventually I wont have to work around it anymore.

ddegroff- thanks! Glad to have you back around here

vin- YAY! I get the big guy in MY journal *runs off to brag to Deeder*. LOL, but honestly, Ill definately post in yours and it will be good to have you around in here. Especially when I get my shirt, I have a feeling Ill be needing lots of advice on how to best use it!

Ruffian
01-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Ugh, been fighting a coldish thing..Had a fever all day and all night last night... Kinda affected strength.

- Regular bench:
80 lbs: 3X3 Wide, 3X3 Normal, 3X3 close (60 s intervals)
- Rack Lockouts:
110 lbs: 2X3, 115 lbs: 1X3
- Rotator cuffs 6-8 sets of 10-15 reps:
Random excersizes that I dont know the names of :D
- Squats:
45 lbs: 2X15, 65 lbs: 2X12

I put an extra 5 lbs on my rack lockouts for the last one, the final rep was pretty nasty looking... Involved a TON of leg LOL, definately not legal but who cares :D

HeavyBomber
01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Looks good Ruffian. Hope you start feeling better.

ddegroff
01-12-2007, 08:33 PM
I worked through a cold last week and I think it helped.

Nice work, the knee looks like its holding up!

Ruffian
01-17-2007, 09:40 AM
HeavyBomber- Thankies!!!
Ddegroff- Its actually starting to fall apart on me, monday's workout was pretty painful :(

-LU Close grip bench - 75 lbs (3X8)
- Floor Lying Tricep Extensions- 40 lbs (3X10)
- Dips - (-45 lbs) 3X8
- Forearms and Biceps -- Too many to write down... Did 10 sets of 6-15 reps (depending on the excersize)
- Deadlifts- 45 lbs: 2X15, 145 lbs: 1X5 (My knee started popping REALLY badly n its been really angry with me since then. Im going to go in to get a prescription for rehab, because its has started going hugely downhill over the last week or two).

Ruffian
01-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Ugh.. not going to be lifting today, got some kind of flu and my stomach feels like its being ripped to shreds. I can hardly eat anything and I definately dont want to go perpetuate the cycle by lifting.

I definately caught some kind of flu :(

ddegroff
01-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Ewww thats such a bummer! I would stay on the couch and rest up!

Total bummer about the knee, I'm sure rehab will fix it good!

Ruffian
01-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks Ddegroff and I hope so too, still waiting for a date to see the doc tho :(

Wont be working out again today, woke up with a horrid sore throat, and a head that is likened to a hot air balloon. Sneezed about a hundred times today and have had a head coldish headache... Had my first solid food in the last two days, a bit of pizza (not the best I know, but it was the only thing that was appealing to me form school). Had a few shakes yesterday, so still got in about a hundred grams of protein (not bad for not being able to stomach anything). Still feeling like ****, but now have the remnants of a stomach flu combined with a horrid head-cold. What a day huh? I was contemplating going anyway but then I started getting the chills and Lucas said I was running a fever. Thats where I draw the line, if im congested, coughing or whatever... Ill suck it up. But a fever is there for a reason, the last thing I want to do is further compromise my immune system.

So finishing off the day of classes and then to my bed I go. Going to try to convince Lucas to laze around with me in front of the television but he seems to think that he wants to actually do something with his night... LOL . Clearly Im not interesting enough *cries*.

I miss working out, but I miss a clear head more :( Hopefully by Monday Ill be healthy again

Roddy
03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
^^ sent ya a PM :)