PDA

View Full Version : Zinc, Magnesium and HCL deficiencies

RedSpikeyThing
09-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I cam acorss this article (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1257805) on t-nation (scroll down, it's the second question). Charles Poliquin talks about how nearly half of all people, especially athletes, are short on zinc, magnesium and/or HCL. He mentions some simple tests to determine if you fall into this category and how to supplement them appropriately.

He also claims that a correction in HCL deficiencies are often associated with a 15-18 lb gain in lean body mass. Any thoughts?

Holto
09-22-2006, 12:34 PM
Holistic health looks at the body as a system. They try to cure many ailments by correcting supply of HCL. Low HCL is also an indication of poor organ function.

I firmly believe that a healthier bodybuilder is able to train and recover more effectively. Everything from the digestion and absorbtion of nutrients in the GI tract to the assimilation of nutrients within our cells.

Sadly health is barely a component of bodbuilding for the mainstream.

RedSpikeyThing
09-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Holistic health looks at the body as a system. They try to cure many ailments by correcting supply of HCL. Low HCL is also an indication of poor organ function.

I firmly believe that a healthier bodybuilder is able to train and recover more effectively. Everything from the digestion and absorbtion of nutrients in the GI tract to the assimilation of nutrients within our cells.

Sadly health is barely a component of bodbuilding for the mainstream.

That's very true. Health is a minor issue in bodybuilding. Do you think it would be worth checking to see if problems affect oneself?

Eszekial
09-22-2006, 01:16 PM
health is #2 behind being able to defend myself and my personal version of the fairer sex... #3 is vanity.

Holto
09-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Do you think it would be worth checking to see if problems affect oneself?

If you are experiencing digestive problems absolutely.

Otherwise just be good to yourself. Eat foods that meet your requirements and improve your health.

You could try some Betaine HCL with heavy meals and see if you notice any difference. That is sort of a poor mans diagnosis of HCL production.

One of the best benefits of good HCL output is having enough left over to kill the parasitses and bacteria.

Roddy
09-22-2006, 11:32 PM
health is #2 behind being able to defend myself and MY VERSION OF THE FAIRER SEX... #3 is vanity.
:confused: i will make my own assumptions here.... :zipit:

oh and back on topic... :whazzup:

Roddy
09-24-2006, 01:23 AM
bought this **** today.

RedSpikeyThing
09-24-2006, 08:53 AM
bought this **** today.

Which? The HCL or the Zinc/Magnesium concoction?

Let me know how it goes.

TheGimp
09-24-2006, 11:04 AM
He also claims that a correction in HCL deficiencies are often associated with a 15-18 lb gain in lean body mass. Any thoughts?

Does anyone (Holto?) have any comments on this claim in particular? Does popping HCl caps really make that big a difference?

Davidelmo
09-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe if you were deficient to the point where you're crapping out undigested food.. but I doubt very much that if the average person takes HCl supps you'll gain any significant weight.

Holto
09-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Maybe if you were deficient to the point where you're crapping out undigested food.

I agree it would be an extreme case where it would help. I can also point out that the person that HCL would be of benefit to would be having noticeable health problems.

Poliquin is so jacked and so smart that I really want to believe what he preaches.

I almost even tried one of his routines once. :p

Roddy
09-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Which? The HCL or the Zinc/Magnesium concoction?

Let me know how it goes.

I have been taking zinc + Magnesium for about 3 months as it stands, i just went and got the HCL yesterday.

I'll definatly have to let everyone know how it works out. :ninja: