PDA

View Full Version : WSM - Pudzianowski leading, Pfister Catching, Marunde didn't make the finals

Bob
09-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Only 2 events left in the WSM finals..
Mariusz Pudzianowski is only leading by 1.5 points.. after American Phil Pfister won the last 3 events..

And in a surprise, Jesse Marunde didn't even make the finals this year.. and he was the favorite for beating Mariusz this year....

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/morenews.php?id=1741#1741

Should be a good show when ESPN gets around to broadcasting it in the spring... dang, you'd think be the strongest people on earth would get more attention!!

SaVvY
09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
marunde got injured - what can ya do?

yeh have absolutely no idea why it aint on live

Sensei
09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Where's Zydrunas Savickas? Did he even compete in the prelims? (edit1: I don't think I saw Magnus Samuelsson's name either) (edit2:or Svend Karlsen...)

TommyBoy
09-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Man, I sure hope Pfister can pull it off. If anyone really deserves it, it's him. However, I got a got feeling that Pudzianowski will take it.

JustinASU
09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
When/where is this aired? I always catch the re-runs on ESPN2, but I'm wondering if there's a place I can go to see this.

Patz
09-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Pfister is from my home state, and the city I work in. That's big new around here...lol. We don't get much excitement, obviously.

Pfister got pwned in a local toughman contest a few years ago by a 40 year-old boilermaker. Imagine the bragging rights!

Bob
09-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Where's Zydrunas Savickas? Did he even compete in the prelims? (edit1: I don't think I saw Magnus Samuelsson's name either) (edit2:or Svend Karlsen...)
Savickas is in the other leaque.. IFSA
Magnus had a low back injury and pulled out of the Qualifiers.. I think he was in Group 5
Svend Karlsen retired this year after the WSM @ Mohegan Sun...

PS.. there are 4 Poles in the finals.. Go Polska!!

Sensei
09-23-2006, 05:43 AM
Looks like Phil pulled it out! http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/morenews.php?id=1743#1743

Won the last 5 events! Wow!

LiftingKid
09-23-2006, 06:17 AM
It's nice to see the title come back to America. Go Phil!

chris mason
09-23-2006, 07:57 AM
That is AWESOME!

Bob
09-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Not much details.. yet..
But it means that Mariusz lost in the Stones!!! You don't usually see that.

This is the 1st American since KAZ in 82!!!
That is awesome.. even if I'm Polish, I'm still American 1st!!!

And Don Pope came in 3rd!!!

Who would have thought without Jesse!!

Chubrock
09-23-2006, 08:12 AM
I remember back a couple of years ago at the 03 WSM, while in the middle of the Hercules Hold, Phil gave that 20 sec speech on how if he didn't win that year, he'd keep coming back until he brought the title back to the US. That speech gave me chill bumps the first time I heard it. Awesome to see he came through with it.

TommyBoy
09-23-2006, 08:54 AM
I remember back a couple of years ago at the 03 WSM, while in the middle of the Hercules Hold, Phil gave that 20 sec speech on how if he didn't win that year, he'd keep coming back until he brought the title back to the US. That speech gave me chill bumps the first time I heard it.
I remember the exact same speech!

This is truly awesome that Pfister won!!! Absolutely unbelievable!!

WBBIRL
09-23-2006, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't have believe that pudzianowski would have lost it on the stones.... last year he not only got them all.. but damned fast at that.

Sensei
09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I remember back a couple of years ago at the 03 WSM, while in the middle of the Hercules Hold, Phil gave that 20 sec speech on how if he didn't win that year, he'd keep coming back until he brought the title back to the US. That speech gave me chill bumps the first time I heard it. Awesome to see he came through with it.Yeah, I remember that speech too. I remember thinking "If he never wins it, people will look back on this and think 'What an a-hole!'". Good thing he delivered!

Patz
09-23-2006, 01:55 PM
What's the prize for winning? I don't know what he gets in sponsorships, but Pfister is a Charleston, WV fireman (last I heard). I don't think he makes any more than 50k, if that.

Bob
09-23-2006, 02:30 PM
What's the prize for winning? I don't know what he gets in sponsorships, but Pfister is a Charleston, WV fireman (last I heard). I don't think he makes any more than 50k, if that.
I think the 50k is what they win too for the championship. That is what Mariusz won the last 2 yrs I read somewhere.

Next yr is going to be even more awesome...
Pfister back..
Mariusz for revenge..
And Jesse to show he muster..
Plus, Kevin Nee should be ready for Top 5 finishes.. if he can gain a little more size..
And then add in Magnus' new prodigy.. Arild Haugen

Now, if they could just get the guys from IFSA to join into one Championship.. Zydrunas Savickas, Andrus Muramets, Vasyl Virastyuk... then it truly would be the World's strongest Man!

bjohnso
09-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Does anyone have a link to this speech? I would like to hear it.

Sensei
09-23-2006, 04:11 PM
There was a story about Phil Phister in GQ magazine a few years back. I think I gave it to a friend... Does anyone know if it's online anywhere?

FortifiedIron
09-23-2006, 06:07 PM
It was awsome to see him win.

Its our time.

Kc

FortifiedIron
09-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Pfister is from my home state, and the city I work in. That's big new around here...lol. We don't get much excitement, obviously.

Pfister got pwned in a local toughman contest a few years ago by a 40 year-old boilermaker. Imagine the bragging rights!

I live in Virgina now and I seen he was from West Va.

I'm actually going to see about doing some training with him. I'm getting into strongman training now.. done with powerlifting all together.

Kc

TommyBoy
09-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Much respect to Pfister for the win. He truly deserves it. Now it's time for one of my Canadian brothers to take the title!

the doc
09-24-2006, 12:42 AM
phil used to come to columbus and train at my gym (the owner is big in strongman). One time I got to squat in the rack next to him.... boy did i feel small :cry:

Westsidemonster
09-24-2006, 04:04 AM
I wanted Mariusz to win...

Patz
09-24-2006, 06:55 AM
I live in Virgina now and I seen he was from West Va.

I'm actually going to see about doing some training with him. I'm getting into strongman training now.. done with powerlifting all together.

Kc

I've "heard" he's kind of an *******. But, people talk, and especially when they're jealous. The kid at GNC downtown told me he trains with Brian Siders (www.briansiders.com). I guess Siders told him that since he shops there a lot..lol Siders, from what I hear, is definitely a nice guy. He's a beast, for sure. I don't know if there's a good way to contact Phil, but I've seen Siders reply to email quite a bit through that site.

You've probably already got your contacts, though..lol

Goodwinm
09-24-2006, 07:39 AM
who is this guy? never heard of him lol.
so when we get to see this on tv? christmas i presme?

Patz
09-24-2006, 09:13 AM
nice use of the word "presume," Mike!

it's rarely used correctly.

well, it's rarely used when it should be, i guess. people usually toss in "assume," when it's completely incorrect.

FortifiedIron
09-24-2006, 04:56 PM
I've "heard" he's kind of an *******. But, people talk, and especially when they're jealous. The kid at GNC downtown told me he trains with Brian Siders (www.briansiders.com). I guess Siders told him that since he shops there a lot..lol Siders, from what I hear, is definitely a nice guy. He's a beast, for sure. I don't know if there's a good way to contact Phil, but I've seen Siders reply to email quite a bit through that site.

You've probably already got your contacts, though..lol

I will see what I can do. From my understanding talking to people he is a pretty nice guy and does alot of school and charity work.

Kc

Dinosaur
09-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Phil's actually a really nice guy. He's a full-time firefighter and give speeches for schools and does community service for kids.

Dinosaur
09-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I will see what I can do. From my understanding talking to people he is a pretty nice guy and does alot of school and charity work.

Kc

Beat me to it.

Guido
09-25-2006, 01:32 PM
It's about time America finally won at something again! Our stinking basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, and soccer teams can't do it, but at least we have the world's strongest man! :p

Sensei
09-25-2006, 01:49 PM

Kc
I've heard the same. I remember a lot of people saying that he was very open to bringing people to train with him if they were visiting the area.

Patz
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Phil's actually a really nice guy. He's a full-time firefighter and give speeches for schools and does community service for kids.

I suspected as much. I think someone I know just took him the wrong way once. I think people get jealous and will find any kind of slight, or gesture and turn it into a big thing.

FortifiedIron
09-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Well I will make sure I let ya'll know what type of guy he is but im sure he is a pretty good guy.

Kc

ArchAngel777
09-25-2006, 09:09 PM

well, it's rarely used when it should be, i guess. people usually toss in "assume," when it's completely incorrect.

I never really thought about that difference until you mentioned it. Just using logic, I presume that the word "presume" is to be used prior to finding out something... So, if you presumed something and were wrong, then you assumed it... Am I right on this thinking? One is past tense (assume) and one is future or present tense (presume). Is this right?

And I was totally wrong... Here is a quote from the net...

The New Oxford Dictionary of English which is based on recent usage evidence, provides these definitions:

assume suppose to be the case, without proof.
presume suppose that something is the case on the basis of probability; take for granted that something exists or is the case.

Goodwinm
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM

hehe. Oops! :p ill change that silly little error.

Patz
09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
hehe. Oops! :p ill change that silly little error.

no. i was saying you used the word correctly..lol

Archangel..I think the bastardized use of "assume" is accepted these days, but it's supposed be like this...

assume the postion (like when a cop gets ya)

assume a role (like when taking over as gaurdian to siblings)

assume a debt

to "assume" would be to take something on.

to PRESUME is to think you know something, based on previous situations, or whatever. 99% of the time you hear someone use "assume," it should be presume.

i presumed you were coming at 6, since you always do.

i can presume you'll all use the word correctly now that i've schooled you properly, despite assume's common acceptance.

famous quote.."Doctor Watson, I presume?"

Goodwinm
09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
no. i was saying you used the word correctly..lol
yes i Know. But i spelt it wrong :p

Patz
09-26-2006, 03:40 PM
yes i Know. But i spelt it wrong :p

it was just a typo!

Goodwinm
09-26-2006, 03:46 PM
it was just a typo!
I know! lol

Just noticed my post count is 2,464. What have i been writing!!?