PDA

View Full Version : Wild Animal Workout

growthrep
09-22-2006, 07:32 PM
I love the intense workout. I'm not talking your run of the mill "intense." I'm talking INTENSITY! Oh yeah! :nod:

Today was upper body for me. After each heavy set I would ATTACK the punching bag (headbutts, shoulder rams, jabs, upper cuts, elbows, kicks, etc). Then I would rest 15 seconds and do the next set of weights. Repeat. Then I went outside in the yard and threw a 100lb sandbag around. Just threw it around, heaving it as far as I could for 10 minutes. I am bushed!

I love keeping it intense like I'm in battle.

sharkall2003
09-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Please, take no offense, but everytime you make a thread or post you sound very sarcastic. Not just that, but, you sound like you're mocking the majority of us meatheads. That's just my opinion.

Anyways, it's awesome that you had an intense workout. Intensity is the name of the game.

growthrep
09-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey, I have a desk job and a ton of energy pent up waiting to be unleashed. I go to battle when I train.

Songsangnim
09-23-2006, 03:31 AM
I love the intense workout. I'm not talking your run of the mill "intense." I'm talking INTENSITY! Oh yeah! :nod:

Today was upper body for me. After each heavy set I would ATTACK the punching bag (headbutts, shoulder rams, jabs, upper cuts, elbows, kicks, etc). Then I would rest 15 seconds and do the next set of weights. Repeat. Then I went outside in the yard and threw a 100lb sandbag around. Just threw it around, heaving it as far as I could for 10 minutes. I am bushed!

I love keeping it intense like I'm in battle.

You might want to consider turning it down a notch...at least drop the headbutts. Studies have shown that soccer players who frequently headbutt the ball, develop cognitive problems (sometimes severe ones). If that can occur with a soccer ball, I shudder to think of what a punching bag (especially if it is heavy) may be potentially doing to your brain. For your own sake, I would strongly advise against such actions.

Clifford Gillmore
09-23-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm calm when I work out, I meditate between sets.

Bohizzle
09-23-2006, 07:22 AM
lmao

TTT
09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I like this guy. Possibly psychotic, but always enthusiastic.

Powdered_Power
09-23-2006, 11:52 AM
I must be way out of the loop, but I see no reason for banning the guy. Sure, it's kind of a dumb thread/post, but I'm sure we all have had those moments where headbutting a hole into some drywall didn't sound like too bad of an idea.

.....right??:hide:

Tell me about it, was severely pissed off the other day so i banged my head backward into the wall in my bathroom in dramatic fashion which wouldve been ok if a few loose tiles didnt drop from the top of the wall right onto my head and almost knocked me out haha. ...almost like a scene out of a cartoon :-/

Shane
09-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Hey, I have a desk job and a ton of energy pent up waiting to be unleashed. I go to battle when I train.

lol. Really? Do you throw 45s at your enemies, fighting to free the oppressed and lead them to the squat rack from the dictator forcing them to use the smith machine?

I don't get how people psyche themselves up this way. As if working out or playing some kind of sport makes them some kind of warrior. My dad was a soldier. Killed a lot of people. Got shot at. If I tried to get under a heavy bar and squat it, thinking I was some kind of tough guy for it, the thought would just make me laugh when I realize there's no comparison. I'd just be kidding myself. The only time people go to battle is when they GO TO BATTLE. You're just getting a workout in.

sharkall2003
09-23-2006, 12:19 PM
lol. Really? Do you throw 45s at your enemies, fighting to free the oppressed and lead them to the squat rack from the dictator forcing them to use the smith machine?

I don't get how people psyche themselves up this way. As if working out or playing some kind of sport makes them some kind of warrior. My dad was a soldier. Killed a lot of people. Got shot at. If I tried to get under a heavy bar and squat it, thinking I was some kind of tough guy for it, the thought would just make me laugh when I realize there's no comparison. I'd just be kidding myself. The only time people go to battle is when they GO TO BATTLE. You're just getting a workout in.

And that's your opinion. Some of us have it for other motivation. I think of it as working out now, but not before. When you're teased endlessly in elementary school for being a fatass you use the weights as a means of fighting back. So, in a sense it's like going to battle.

But I know exactly what you mean by your post, also.

Shane
09-23-2006, 12:25 PM
And that's your opinion. Some of us have it for other motivation. I think of it as working out now, but not before. When you're teased endlessly in elementary school for being a fatass you use the weights as a means of fighting back. So, in a sense it's like going to battle.

hehe. It's my opinion? So people were literally trying to kill you in school, huh? And you were trying to kill them? It's not even close to being the same thing. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying working out is easy or doesn't take some fortitude. I'm not saying there aren't some tough times at school and stuff. I'm just saying walk up to a guy who's been in a war and tell him "ya, I know how you feel when they were shooting at you. I was trying to bench 300 the other day and man was it hard." If I was a soldier who'd been in a war I would think you were pretty far out there to say the least.

sharkall2003
09-23-2006, 12:31 PM
hehe. It's my opinion? So people were literally trying to kill you in school, huh? And you were trying to kill them? It's not even close to being the same thing. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying working out is easy or doesn't take some fortitude. I'm not saying there aren't some tough times at school and stuff. I'm just saying walk up to a guy who's been in a war and tell him "ya, I know how you feel when they were shooting at you. I was trying to bench 300 the other day and man was it hard." If I was a soldier who'd been in a war I would think you were pretty far out there to say the least.

I don't consider weightlifting anything like fighting in war. It's a different battle. It's a battle against those that were out to make you feel like ****.

Shane
09-23-2006, 12:43 PM
I don't consider weightlifting anything like fighting in war. It's a different battle. It's a battle against those that were out to make you feel like ****.

Hey man, I know what you're saying. If that's your motivation, that's cool. I just always wanna laugh when I read stuff like the OP.

Stumprrp
09-23-2006, 02:29 PM
nice workout man!

i physce myself up by breathing hard and pacing, occasonial slap.

growthrep
09-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Can't believe how EASY it is to offend folks. LOL! I was a running back in high school, back when I used to lift. I was aggressive and psyched when I went out onto the field and when I hit the weights. I love being jazzed about my workout and pushing myself to the MAX! It's who I am. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I have slapt myself on the face a few times before a set of deadlifts. Pisses me off, gets the blood flowing, and gives me that extra edge. Not saying this is for everyone but I train far more intensley than most of the guys I see lifting weights at the gyms in Good life fitness when I walk by. I was watching some today when I went grocery shopping. There's a good life in the same plaza with A and P. They do a set of benches, using momentum all the way. Rest for 3 or 4 minutes. Do another one, joke around with their buddies, drink some water, fidget with their walkman/MP3 palyer, sit, stretch, talk, look at girls. Do another set. Etc. They barely break a frikin sweat! When I workout I train like I am a champion preparing for THE biggest event of his life. Just who I am.

bjohnso
09-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Can't believe how EASY it is to offend folks. LOL! I was a running back in high school, back when I used to lift. I was aggressive and psyched when I went out onto the field and when I hit the weights. I love being jazzed about my workout and pushing myself to the MAX! It's who I am. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I have slapt myself on the face a few times before a set of deadlifts. Pisses me off, gets the blood flowing, and gives me that extra edge. Not saying this is for everyone but I train far more intensley than most of the guys I see lifting weights at the gyms in Good life fitness when I walk by. I was watching some today when I went grocery shopping. There's a good life in the same plaza with A and P. They do a set of benches, using momentum all the way. Rest for 3 or 4 minutes. Do another one, joke around with their buddies, drink some water, fidget with their walkman/MP3 palyer, sit, stretch, talk, look at girls. Do another set. Etc. They barely break a frikin sweat! When I workout I train like I am a champion preparing for THE biggest event of his life. Just who I am.
I sometimes get the feeling that I make people around me a little nervous when I train. You must absolutely ****ing terrify them.

Shane
09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Can't believe how EASY it is to offend folks. LOL!

Who have you offended? It seems some of us find you amusing but no one seems to be offended.

Songsangnim
09-24-2006, 01:43 AM
I have slapt myself on the face a few times before a set of deadlifts. Pisses me off, gets the blood flowing,.. .

If you do that with any sort of force it will indeed get the blood flowing...in more ways than one.

Clifford Gillmore
09-24-2006, 07:33 AM
I'll try slapping someone before my next squat? Or maybe after.

Stumprrp
09-24-2006, 08:02 AM

This is how i also train, and also the type of ppl in my gym, when i missed 500 on dl i threw the weight down said some vulger words and punched the wall, im lucky i didnt get thrown out, lol, i just love this crap to much.

clawhammer_33
09-24-2006, 09:01 AM
This seem right up your alley:

http://cbs5.com/watercooler/local_story_059005903.html

bjohnso
09-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I'll try slapping someone before my next squat? Or maybe after.

Beat yourself in the face with a brick, it works much better.

BigRic
09-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Shane your understanding off the word battle is a little bit miscontrued. A game of football can be considered a battle.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary
Main Entry: 1batĚtle
Pronunciation: 'ba-t&l
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English batel, from Anglo-French bataille battle, battalion, from Late Latin battalia combat, alteration of battualia fencing exercises, from Latin battuere to beat
1 archaic : BATTALION
2 : a combat between two persons
3 : a general encounter between armies, ships of war, or aircraft
4 : an extended contest, struggle, or controversy <a battle of wits>

The word battle does not imply that guns or weaponry is being used. Like it says there it implies a sturggle or extended contest between opposing forces.

Shane
09-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Shane your understanding off the word battle is a little bit miscontrued. A game of football can be considered a battle.

I understand people don't confine the word strictly to defining warfare. Although...when someone uses the word "attack" I think the warfare term is where they're going with the metaphor. But regardless...I think you're thinking that I'm taking this differently than I am, which is understandable over the net. I think it's funny. It's not like someone comparing lifting weights to warfare pisses me off or annoys me or anything even close to that. Especiallly over the net. That would be lame. I'm just saying "to me" the comparison is comical. I've tried to look at it that way and it just makes me laugh because it's such a stretch and I end up thinking "Please, Shane. You're taking yourself too seriously." So I take other motivational roads. Do you see what I'm talkin' about?

BigRic
09-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I understand people don't confine the word strictly to defining warfare. Although...when someone uses the word "attack" I think the warfare term is where they're going with the metaphor. But regardless...I think you're thinking that I'm taking this differently than I am, which is understandable over the net. I think it's funny. It's not like someone comparing lifting weights to warfare pisses me off or annoys me or anything even close to that. Especiallly over the net. That would be lame. I'm just saying "to me" the comparison is comical. I've tried to look at it that way and it just makes me laugh because it's such a stretch and I end up thinking "Please, Shane. You're taking yourself too seriously." So I take other motivational roads. Do you see what I'm talkin' about?
Yeah I see what your saying and I agree in the sense of weightlifting but for a sport like football i think it's different. Every defensive player I know has the intent of going on the field and punishing and destroying the teams offense and I would say that is definately a battle mentally a survival of the strongest menality. I agree with you on weightlifting however.

McIrish
09-25-2006, 04:51 AM

I'm behind you with most of this, Shane. However, I think the feeling that our enthusiastic OP is referencing is the feeling of battle in the PRE-modern era, ie, battle with swords and axes and whatnot. Ever since the advent of modern combat, war is (largely) a faceless encounter. Note that I am not saying that you don't see who you're shooting at or soldiers shouldn't be commended or something like that. I'm just saying that battle (in his context, at least?) seems more in the way of chest-thumping, William-Wallace-screaming-"Freedom!" kinda way.

Either way, I wouldn't recommend hitting yourself on a heavy punching bag. I think there are better ways to psych one's self up that skip the whole "blunt force trauma" problem. To the OP - do you work out alone, or in a gym with other people? I mean this quite frankly - behavior like that would probably get you expelled and quite possible cause the management to revoke your membership at most places I've seen. Then again, if you're on your own and don't mind the risk of mental incapacitation from repeated blows to the head, by all means. :)

McVein
09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
You might want to consider turning it down a notch...at least drop the headbutts. Studies have shown that soccer players who frequently headbutt the ball, develop cognitive problems (sometimes severe ones). If that can occur with a soccer ball, I shudder to think of what a punching bag (especially if it is heavy) may be potentially doing to your brain. For your own sake, I would strongly advise against such actions.

can i have a link to that please?

Shane
09-25-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm behind you with most of this, Shane. However, I think the feeling that our enthusiastic OP is referencing is the feeling of battle in the PRE-modern era, ie, battle with swords and axes and whatnot. Ever since the advent of modern combat, war is (largely) a faceless encounter. Note that I am not saying that you don't see who you're shooting at or soldiers shouldn't be commended or something like that. I'm just saying that battle (in his context, at least?) seems more in the way of chest-thumping, William-Wallace-screaming-"Freedom!" kinda way.

I'm not sure you see what I was saying though. It is just as true if the battle isn't modern. My whole point was that it cracks me up any time someone compares lifting to going into any kind of battle (in the literal sense) because there is no comparison. Ok, if someone wants to compare football or MMA to that, thats a little closer. But lifting a heavy object is nothing like trying to kill or be killed by someone, regardless if it's with an M-16 or a broadsword.

The funny thing here is that I wasn't really trying to bash him for it, just saying I find it hilarious. I can't take myself seriously enough in the weight room to "sell" myself on that. I've tried and I just laugh at myself because I can't kid myself like that. It's lucky for me, I don't find it necessary to do that to get motivated to lift something anyway. I think the whole mental struggle thing is more my style. But anyway, it was supposed to be light-hearted like much of what I say. But I realize that's hard to convey through the net so I guess I shouldn't be surprised if it's interpreted more seriously.

Songsangnim
09-25-2006, 06:05 PM
can i have a link to that please?

http://www.fi.edu/brain/head.htm

Scroll down approximately 1/3 of the page.