PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use half way bench?

droman
09-22-2006, 09:12 PM
does anybody do the half way down bench and does that really work my coach has it on are lifting sheet.

GoodThings
09-25-2006, 11:58 AM
does anybody do the half way down bench and does that really work my coach has it on are lifting sheet.

It sounds ridiculous to me. However - I've heard of people doing sets without going to lockout (or even close), just to isolate the pecs more.

I would think instead of "half way bench", you are better off with tricep presses or something.

What is the rest of his routine? you have me curious now ;)

Guido
09-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I guess when doing board presses or rack lockouts that that is essentially what you are doing. I assume you mean going halfway down with no boards or pins?

bics56
09-26-2006, 01:58 PM
I guess when doing board presses or rack lockouts that that is essentially what you are doing. I assume you mean going halfway down with no boards or pins?

Or does he mean bring the bar to your chest every rep and only go 1/2 way up?

Hazerboy
09-26-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure of your lifting experience, but I would just do the full range of motion.

KevinStarke
09-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Would you build half a house

Chris686
09-26-2006, 04:03 PM

From what I have seen posted by a few people in these forums, high school coaches have no business giving weightlifting advice. It's either just plain bad, or dangerous, or both.

I still can't get over the coach who suggested his guys should do squats with their toes facing inward.

ShockBoxer
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, I used these basically exclusively to 'save my shoulders' (stopping 1.5 inches above my pecs) because it's uncomfortable to touch my chest. I went all the way to my chest for the first time since I started last night and my 1rm was 30 pounds lower than I expected. Don't do them until you're certain your full range bench is perfected.

dw06wu
09-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Sounds like hes talking about board presses without boards...sounds pretty dumb to me unless you are training your shirted bench press for a comp. It's a good tricep exercise but that's about it, don't get too attached to the numbers you put up with that exercise because they won't reflect your true bench press at all.

edit - to answer the question, its a waste of your time. i would skip out on them and just do full range presses or weighted dips if you already have the bp in your routine.

Eszekial
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Are you playing, say, baseball perhaps?

bloodninja
09-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I still can't get over the coach who suggested his guys should do squats with their toes facing inward.

It hurt my ankles just reading that.

droman
09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
well actually im in college but my coach knows nothing about lifting. I play baseball. And he has the towel bench or half bench on monday then the real bench on friday. I actually don't follow the sheet at all. the weeks plan has towel bench and squats on monday, wednesday is deadlift with 2 sets of pec decks for the chest? which i don't understand at all, friday is box sqauts and bench. and we play games and practce whenever possible in the fall. So i think he is overdoing it. I don't follow the plan but just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.

RickTheDestroyer
10-02-2006, 09:57 AM
well actually im in college but my coach knows nothing about lifting. I play baseball. And he has the towel bench or half bench on monday then the real bench on friday. I actually don't follow the sheet at all. the weeks plan has towel bench and squats on monday, wednesday is deadlift with 2 sets of pec decks for the chest? which i don't understand at all, friday is box sqauts and bench. and we play games and practce whenever possible in the fall. So i think he is overdoing it. I don't follow the plan but just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it.
What do you do to prevent shoulder injuries? This sounds like a recipe for internally rotated disaster.

droman
10-02-2006, 06:30 PM
well i do rotator cuff exercises whenever possible.

Guido
10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
^Not too heavy, I hope. Keep it light on the rotator cuff, stuff.