PDA

View Full Version : Milk not good for you?

Binbs
09-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Hey all,

I just have a question. Maybe im speaking a bit too generally when asking this, but none the less - I was down at the gym and met someone who said that milk actually isnt that good for adults because it can give stomach problems.

He didn't really go into details about it, but I decided to check up on it here.

Any truth to this at all?

Thanks in advance,

Binbs.

Bob
09-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Only if you are lactose intolerant.

RedSpikeyThing
09-23-2006, 09:07 AM
If you get stomach problems, you stop drinking it.

GEOFF361
09-23-2006, 09:47 AM
yah by stomache problems he prolly means diareaha. and yah some ppl get upset stomaches from milk

sharkall2003
09-23-2006, 10:03 AM
I've never heard of that. In fact, I have been informed that milk is almost a miracle drink with the nutrients you recieve out of it. I have approximately a gallon a day.

c3p
09-23-2006, 11:51 AM
It's good for you, but you may be good for it.

My mum has problems with milk and other such things that contain milk.

teaturtle
09-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Dairy products give me stomach aches. Would this mean I'd have to stop them completely or are they still good for me (not including the upset stomach)??

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
^^

It probably means you're lactose intolerant. So am I. I take the lactase enzyme and I'm fine. You should try it.

teaturtle
09-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Ive tried it and it gives me a lot of gas :( so I stopped

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-23-2006, 01:56 PM
On most, it says take 1 pill and if it's not working, take another one. Some need a bit more of the enzyme to ward of the side effects of dairy products.

DonH8Dagr8n8
09-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Wow shark almost a gallon a day!!! thats inpressive, i always i drank alot by drinking 3 gallons a week (witch dicusts my friends at that! lol) but wow. yeah i think milk is way good for you to i usualy add whey to it! but i have herd storyes weirther they have any truth to them about milk being bad for you because it comes from cows or somthen... ahh i donno tho

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-23-2006, 02:15 PM
It's not bad because it comes from cows, it's bad because of what they inject the cows with to produce more milk.

teaturtle
09-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Oh okay thanks.

darkdan
09-23-2006, 02:43 PM
My coworker tried to tell me that because the calcium comes from a cow your body will reject it and actually use your own calcium to expell it. So you end up with negative calcium effect.

So now my only calcium comes from the bones of people who will believe anything and try to share their knowledge with others.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-23-2006, 02:50 PM
My coworker tried to tell me that because the calcium comes from a cow your body will reject it and actually use your own calcium to expell it. So you end up with negative calcium effect.Stop listening to your co-worker.

Holto
09-23-2006, 02:52 PM
My coworker tried to tell me that because the calcium comes from a cow

The cow gets it from the grass.

Davidelmo
09-23-2006, 03:22 PM
My coworker tried to tell me that because the calcium comes from a cow your body will reject it and actually use your own calcium to expell it. So you end up with negative calcium effect.

jesus christ, lolol

darkdan
09-23-2006, 04:16 PM
I know, amazing isn't it.

You should hear his theories on sugars!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Do tell. ;)

darkdan
09-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Refined grains are bad because the world is only 5000 years old and we haven't had time to eat them long enough to adjust.

There are "things" in an apple, banana, etc that help you process the sugar. He doesn't know what these "things" are.

He has the basic idea right. Refined sugar = bad. Just doesn't have the facts right as to why.

At first he thought creatine was a steriod. Then later he thought it would give you more energy (like caffeine).

He refuses to take any type of capsule because the coating is bad for you.

All kinds of other crazy things that I can't recall right now. I tend to tune him out when he talks about things which I know he has no clue about.

Mercuryblade
09-23-2006, 05:01 PM
I tend to tune him out when he talks about things which I know he has no clue about.

Haha, I wouldn't, I love to listen to idiots talk, it doesn't make me mad, it makes me laugh.
Is this guy like 80 years old and drink his own urine because he doesn't trust water? Because that would make the situation even better.

darkdan
09-23-2006, 05:19 PM

I'm around him 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week. I have been for almost a year now!

PGreezy
09-23-2006, 10:42 PM
I thought creatine did give you energy. Not like all the time energy but quick burst energy, i thought it turned into CP and bonded with ur used up ATP(ADP) to convert it back into ATP, i could be wrong though. And milk it does a body good. I drink like a gallon every two days(with whey), and have been doing so for along time. Skim milk is slammin, give me the whole damn cow. Sometimes I do get some gas but im not sure if thats from the milk.

Davidelmo
09-24-2006, 04:53 AM
Creatine does give you energy... kinda.

If doesn't have any calories itself but it does help to replenish ATP stocks in your muscles.

But world only 5000 years old.. LMAO

RedSpikeyThing
09-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Refined grains are bad because the world is only 5000 years old and we haven't had time to eat them long enough to adjust.

Just to clarify before I start, I think you should continue to ignore your coworker. Anyways...

I think this might have more merit than it's been given. Humans haven't evolved to properly digest some of the foods we regularly consume (Ex: trans fats). Many, many, MANY generations from now, those who could not consume said products may be selected out (by means of, say, a heart attack before they have had children). Then the only people left will have be able to properly digest these products.

What a world that would be....

darkdan
09-24-2006, 09:17 AM
He thought creatine would give him more energy like slamming 7 buzz colas. Not by helping out the kerbs cycle.

I'm sure there's some merit to us not having adapted to eating big macs everyday and not dying. It's mainly the whole 5000 years old thing that gets me.

But could we ever evolve enough to eat HFCS constantly and not develop problems?

Also he doesn't believe in evolution or adaption (most likely) so I doubt he thinks we could get used to eating refined sugars and grains.

He will also get tomatos on his subway sandwhich even though he hates them because he heard something in them in good for you. Yeah, I think those two slices of tomato this week are really going to help ya out there buddy.

PGreezy
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Oh nah it doesnt make you hyper and jittery, but it does give you energy. When i used to use it when i lifted I would beast through weights and reps that I didnt even think I could do and still be ready for more.

teaturtle
09-25-2006, 10:21 AM
it didn't do anything for me.. :(

Jorge Sanchez
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Just to clarify before I start, I think you should continue to ignore your coworker. Anyways...

I think this might have more merit than it's been given. Humans haven't evolved to properly digest some of the foods we regularly consume (Ex: trans fats). Many, many, MANY generations from now, those who could not consume said products may be selected out (by means of, say, a heart attack before they have had children). Then the only people left will have be able to properly digest these products.

What a world that would be....

I sort of wonder if transmutation due to diet hasn't been eliminated due to medical advances. A ****ty diet won't kill most people until they are beyond their child bearing years, so those better able to deal with the negative aspects of a Western diet won't really have any reproductive advantage.

RedSpikeyThing
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
A ****ty diet won't kill most people until they are beyond their child bearing years, so those better able to deal with the negative aspects of a Western diet won't really have any reproductive advantage.

I guess it would select out the extremists.
On a side note, I find it amusing how our society is selecting out the socially inept.

Stumprrp
09-25-2006, 03:36 PM
as long as you arent lactose intollerant, milk is wicked good for you, especially bulking! ive actually drank milk during a workout, probley from all the milk my mom gave me as a kid.

ArchAngel777
09-25-2006, 03:59 PM
As people get older they start to lack the enzyme lactase that is used to process lactose from cows milk. Some research has suggested that almost every adult is lactose intolerant at some point, but that it is generally pretty mild for the majority. I don't think milk is a problem, but then again, who really knows.

malkore
09-25-2006, 05:31 PM
there's a few organizations out there that feel milk is un-natural and not healthy to drink.
they offer no science, no evidence, just comments like "humans are the only animals that consume milk after infancy" forgetting the fact that Humans are the only species advanced enough on the planet to figure out how to make cows produce milk 24/7.

science > OMG milk is teh bad for u!

we just had one of these loons over at world fitness forums. his comment was 'lose the fat? lose the milk'

he also only eats raw food...so you guessed it...no meat, mostly soy protein, and maybe 1300 cals a day if that.

Lastly, the world is more than 5,000 years old, unless you believe everything the Christian Bible says. ;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Lastly, the world is more than 5,000 years old, unless you believe everything the Christian Bible says.That's not what the bible says. That's what people trying to guess the age of the earth using poor math say. Please don't make comments like this and don't spark an unnecessary debate by making comments like this.

ArchAngel777
09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
That's not what the bible says. That's what people trying to guess the age of the earth using poor math say. Please don't make comments like this and don't spark an unnecessary debate by making comments like this.

I second this statement... Besides, this "Bible" you speak of isn't Christian. The Old Testament are archives from the Pre-Jewish and Jewish nation of Israel, mostly their history archives. Islam, Judaism and Christianity all consider the books of the Old Testament 'divine' and 'sacred'. So, you might want to get your facts straight before making a cut on any religion.

Al3X
09-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Arch, where did you research this from? There's all types of extremists, we know that milk has very good nutritional values so we drink it of course! You have to excuse the ones who live life on needles...

ArchAngel777
09-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Arch, where did you research this from? There's all types of extremists, we know that milk has very good nutritional values so we drink it of course! You have to excuse the ones who live life on needles...

Hey Alex,

You know, I don't remember where I read it. I was doing research on it a few years ago. There are extremists like you are talking about, for sure. I remember reading that the body is unable to absorb the calcium from the milk and that even one small serving of sunflower seeds provides more calcium than a glass of milk. In fact, when I researched that, it said that calcium is the most common mineral found in the earth and approx 3.6% of the earths crust is calcium. It is virtually found in anything that grows and thus could be completely derived from eating veggies. Maybe my mother knew something when she told me to EAT IT!

Again, this is all from memory... Feel free to correct anything, if it be important.

nhlfan
09-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I've never heard of that. In fact, I have been informed that milk is almost a miracle drink with the nutrients you recieve out of it. I have approximately a gallon a day.
agreed, pretty much. just take a look at my sig :redface:

GEOFF361
09-26-2006, 12:08 PM
80% of all kidney stones are Calcium stones which you can get from having high levels of calcium in your body, i dunno I feel like more than a couple galsses a day is pushing it, especially if your taking a multivitamin with calcium in it, some of you fellas are gonna be pissin rocks

Razoul
09-26-2006, 11:14 PM
So it seems milk is good for you. Does it matter if its skim, 1%, 2%, or whole? Personally I dont like the skim stuff. My friend is the one that got me into drinking it and all he drinks is whole milk so thats the only thing I drink. For cereal and cooking purposes I dont mind the other stuff but if im drinking it there is only whole milk as far as im concerned.

PhilsterT
09-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Whole milk.

RedSpikeyThing
09-27-2006, 10:10 AM
So it seems milk is good for you. Does it matter if its skim, 1%, 2%, or whole?

Drink the stuff that fits your caloric needs. If you are bulking, go for whole. Cuttting? Skim. I personally drink 2% because I don't like the taste of whole.

Davidelmo
09-27-2006, 10:38 AM
80% of all kidney stones are Calcium stones which you can get from having high levels of calcium in your body, i dunno I feel like more than a couple galsses a day is pushing it, especially if your taking a multivitamin with calcium in it, some of you fellas are gonna be pissin rocks

True, but most of us drink large volumes of water too. Plus, not all of the calcium in the milk is absorbed anyway. I did research this a while ago and i'm sure someone else can give a better explanation than me.

Stumprrp
09-27-2006, 01:14 PM
whole milk if you can afford the extra calories from the fat is deffinatly the way to go for bulking, drinking 1% my whole life and still drinking it now whole tastes amazing, like creme! =D

Turnip
09-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Anyone know why arnold hates milk so much, it cant be just because he thinks its for babys can it?

Spartan936
09-29-2006, 09:33 AM
Anyone know why arnold hates milk so much, it cant be just because he thinks its for babys can it?

He made that comment in jest. If you read his writings he is actually a big fan of consuming large amounts of dairy products.