PDA

View Full Version : My journal...

KingJustin
09-24-2006, 03:12 AM
Well, if we can get our schedules straight I believe I'll stat training with Chubrock this Monday. I'm switching up my routine a bit and I guess I'll start a journal.

Goals:
I don't have any set-in-stone goals, really. I've got the long term (2-3 years) goal of competing in a few MMA matches and hopefully doing well. I don't want to do a lot of them and end up with no teeth, though. Longer term I'd like to just stay in all-around good shape my whole life.
Shorter term, first, I want to build my workload capacity. Second, I want to sort of body build until school starts next year. That pretty much just means that I'm going to try bulking and cutting and bulking and cutting in cycles while I eat as well as possible. I guess I'll also focus on progressive overload in my lifting, but I'm not doing a traditional bodybuilding routine. I'm going to do Westside and try to get strong as well as big/lean.
While I'm doing this with the weights, I'm going to casually go to MMA practice and slowly pick stuff up there. I might also do a natural bodybuilding competition around Aug 2007 if I feel like I can be relatively competitive by then.

Routine:
Well, I have to switch up the days I go to class so that I can meet up with Chubrock to lift. My gym does 45-55 minutes stand-up (American Kickboxing or Muay Tai) followed by 45-55 minutes of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu each night (Monday through Thursday). On Monday/Wednesday the BJJ classes are "gi" classes. I haven't been to a gi class yet and I really don't care to for awhile. My plan is to go to either the kickboxing class or the brazilian class by itself each night.

Here's my entire routine. I like to stay pretty consistent with exercises and such and make sure to focus on progressive-overload.
Monday: ME Upper
ME Bench Press (Close Grip, 1-3 Board, or normal bench)
Chin-Ups - 5x5
Incline DB Bench - higher reps, lower sets
Rope Pushdowns - higher reps, lower sets
Rotator Movement - higher reps, lower sets
Night: MMA Practice

Tuesday: ME Lower
ME Squat/Deadlift Motion
Romanian Deadlifts
Sit-Ups & Russian Twists
5 minute power cleans (4-7 sets of 5 done in 5 minutes)

Wednesday Night: BJJ gi/no gi practice (about 1 - 1.5 hours)

Thursday: DE Upper
DE Bench
Abominal Machine / Oblique Pulley Twists
Low Pin Press - 5x5
Incline Bench - low rep, low sets
Rotator Cuff Exercises

Friday: DE Lower
Heavy Power Cleans
DE Box Squat
Machine Rows - mid to high reps, mid to high sets
Hypers - higher reps

Saturday: Cardio
If I have a partner I'll probably do some stand-up sparring, maybe a little grappling. Otherwise, HIIT, circuit training, bag work/jump rope or complexes (http://elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm).

Sunday: Cardio
Same as Saturday. If I'm feeling ambitious I might do some grip work.

Also, on either Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, I'm going to try to do some light boxing drills for about 30 minutes with my sparring partner.

Other lifts I might work in: military press (DB/BB), hack squats, good mornings, reverse hypers, rows (BB/DB), close grip bench press, dips

All days: I'm going to try to stretch a little better. I try to, at some point each day, do 2 sets of 12 dynamic leg stretches for 3 different exercises. At night I'll try to do some static stretches. The only thing that worries me is that I like to have blood flowing when I static stretch, and that makes it harder to go to sleep at night.

This seems like a lot of work, especially as I'm writing all this down on paper. That's training 7 days a week, with 2 days doing a double session. I may need to cut some sessions out occasionally.

General Diet:
Breakfast: 3 scoops oatmeal, 1 scoop whey, 1 serving natty peanut butter
Lunch 1: Protein Bar
Lunch 2: 2 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches with wheat bread
Lunch 3: Egg & Cheese Omelet
(Sometimes I replace 1-2 of these lunches with a Subway Sub and/or Tortelini)
Pre-Workout: Small Bowl of Complete Cereal, 1 scoop whey
Post-Workout: 1 scoop whey, big glass V8 Fusion or Grape Juice
20 mins later: Cottage Cheese
35 mins later: Nitrean with Olive Oil
45 mins later: Chicken
Dinner: 3 eggs, 1/2 bagel
Before Bed: Casein Shake with Olive Oil

I drink milk/water throughout the day as well. On M/Tu/Th I will probably move lunch 3 to after the delayed post-workout chicken. I might also try to eat some vegetables and have bananas and more juice. I try to eat a Centrum and when I'm in the sun vitamin E & C.

Bulk/Cut
I plan to do 3-4 week bulk, 2 week cut cycles pretty much all year starting my first cut next Sunday. When I cut, I will take off an oatmeal scoop from breakfast, remove lunch 2 & 3, and remove either dinner or my before bed meal.

Possible Problems, concerns, etc.
-I've had a little trouble with sleep recently. I have been staying up very late on the weekends and then it throws my sleep pattern off during the week. I also tend to procrastinate with school and sometimes have a lot to do at night and stay up late. Then I end up taking naps during the day, and then can't fall asleep at night, etc. This sometimes makes me very lethargic in the gym.
-I want to avoid alcohol as best I can. To some extent I'm going to drink a little bit, but I always feel very thirsty (and altogether crappier) the mornings after I drink anything. I do a pretty good job usually of having no more than a couple beers on the weekend, but I know next Friday I will have a severe "cheat" day. My main problem with alcohol, aside from the dead calories and feeling a bit off the next day, is that I have serious trouble sleeping if I drink at all.
-My left shoulder is bothering me a little bit as of late. I had serious trouble with it this summer and I hope it's not a problem again.
-I am pretty much afraid to lift overly heavy on deadlifts and especially squats or other lower back exercises. I feel like my lower back has more problems than just being weak, but I could be wrong.
-One thing I really have to change is that I tend to have to make everything perfect to go in and have a good workout. If I'm the least bit tired, or if I am a meal off or whatever, I just don't push myself enough I guess.
-I'm trying to build my workload capacity a bit here, but I am a bit worried about overtraining. I might take some glutamine or something, and I need to be willing to really back off some days. Recently, though, I've had pretty close to this much work and haven't had too much of a problem. Having a workout partner that is pretty serious might increase my intensity during the gym and cause for prolonged recovery, though.
-There may also be too many exercises some days. I like to keep relatively high volume on each exercise and I don't like going over an hour on my training. So, I may have to condense a couple of the days. I'm not really sure what to remove, though, as everything seems very important to me!

Strengths/Weaknesses
I'd like some help here from you guys if you notice any of my lifts/body parts to be really disproportional. Bodybuilding-wise, I think everything is pretty close to even except my legs are lagging behind a bit. This wasn't always the case, as in high school my legs grew really quickly relative to my upper body, but then I guess I kind of backed off for 2 years and only did either heavy work or semi-recovery work. Hopefully the hack squats and other stuff can put a little mass on.
Strength-wise, I am 6'3.5 and have monkey arms/legs. This makes squatting, pressing and benching pretty tough for me, but with everything else my leverage is pretty good and it makes up for the extra distance I have to move the weights. I've put a lot of emphasis on my bench from the start, though, so it's probably about average among my lifts. I think that my abs are probably my strongest body part. My grip strength is also very limiting. I've also noticed that although I didn't start deadlifting until recently, I can do a reasonable amount of weight, and I think I could do a pretty impressive deadlift if my grip strength was a bit better.
In MMA, I think I'm pretty equal right now with stand-up/ground work. I'd like to get a little better from guard and when my opponent has side control/back. But, my biggest weakness by far right now is takedowns.

Here's some pictures. Last time I weighed in I was 219.5 lbs at the gym (this is after pre-workout meal) with a t-shirt/shorts and shoes on. I suspect that I might be a pound or two heavier now. I am currently off of creatine but will start it again next Sunday.
And I believe I have one of the longest intros on here. It's the OCD.

Goodwinm
09-24-2006, 03:23 AM
damn dude long intro indeed :p

All things look very reasonable there man. Good luck with it all! NOW GO LIFT!

Chubrock
09-24-2006, 12:02 PM
We'll get you straightened out soon enough man, no worries. You dwarf me though you bastard haha.

KingJustin
09-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Decent sparring session tonight.

This was the third time me and my new parnter went up. We did some shadow boxing for a few minutes, then some basic drills for awhile. After that we sparred. We tried to go around 80-90% with the exception that we didn't want to throw with knockout power. My partner's getting a lot better really quickly. He's a bit shorter than me so he's working on going to the body and counter punching a lot.

The first two times we went up to spar my jab and one-two were working real well. Now he's doing a pretty good block/counter and stuff. If I wanted to make contact I had to throw combos. I felt like my combos were working to an extent, but sometimes I got carried away and dropped my hands a little bit.

My partner isn't a member at my gym, so we had to use the campus yoga room. Sometimes when we go at the right time, we can use the basketball gym and do some ground work, but the cheerleaders had practice tonight. He is a State Champion wrestler, though, and helped me with some of the technical parts of throwing.

Focus for next time: Better footwork, never drop my hands, throw smoother combos

KingJustin
09-25-2006, 03:33 PM
First time having a serious traininng partner since the summer of '05. I didn't get a ton of sleep last night, but I was pretty excited about starting my new routine so things worked out.

Close-Grip: 95 x 6, 135 x 6, 145 x 5, 155 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5, 195 x 5, 205 x 3, 215 x 3, 225 x 3, 235 x 1, 245 x 1
Chin-Ups: BW+25 x 5 x 3, BW+25 x 4
Incline BB: 45 x 6, 95 x 6, 135 x 11, 135 x 8
Muscle Snatches: 45 x 10 x 2
Tricep Pushdowns: 105 x 12 x 2
I felt a little clumsy today, especially on the close grip and incline. 245 just barely went up and my form was pretty poor. I had trouble locking out on chin-ups. This was the first time I've done incline BB in forever and it was pretty pathetic. I'm expecting to put up more weight next time.
Muscle snatches were surprisingly tiring. Pushdowns were very light and easy. I'll put on some weight next time.

It was kind of humbling training with someone who was both stronger and 65 lbs lighter than me.

Evening:
Turned out to be BJJ practice ... which means they intentionally remove the fans and turn the heat on so it is literally somewhere around 85 ****ing degrees in the gym. We did some instruction and practiced a couple moves, and then we went for 4 rounds of 5 minutes with 1 minute rests in between. I felt pretty good and went 3-1, but I wasn't wrestling with the top couple guys (not my wins anyway). I am really having trouble doing fluid flips from guard. I keep ending up ****ing up and then muscling my way through.

Chubrock
09-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Good session today man. You must've been training with somebody else besides me, because I'm definitely not stronger than you haha. Your pressing strength is much better than mine.

KingJustin
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Rack Pulls:
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 3
245 x 3
275 x 1 x 2
295 x 1 x 2
315 x 1
335 x 1
345 x 1
355 x 1
365 x 1
375 x 1
385 x 1
395 x 1
(A couple of these might be off. The last few sets are all right, though. Maybe Chubrock was right about a written journal being helpful)
Romanian Deadlifts: 135 x 8, 135 x 9, 135 x 8
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 10, BW+50 x 10, BW+25 x 10
Russian Twists: BW+25 x 12
Power Cleans: 155 x 5 x 5 (done in 5 minutes)
Weight: 219.5
Very tough session.
I experimented a bunch with different widths and such with rack pulls and I’m leaning towards sumo. My form still needs definite improvement. When I do ME Bench I can feel my muscles really being used 100% and I feel like there’s no way I can add 10 more lbs. With the rack pulls (or deadlifts in general), I still haven’t lifted so much weight that I feel like I am using my muscles efficiently or fully. This was the first time I’ve ever used chalk, though.
On Romanian Deadlifts every now and then I would just focus on keeping the bar close to my body and instead of actually doing Romanian Deadlifts I would do an ugly form of a normal deadlit. These were still pretty tough on the lower back. I will definitely be feeling it tomorrow.
I tried doing the decline sit-ups a little slower than usual so I could feel it in my abs. I also did Russian Twists correctly for the first time ever as far as I know.
Power cleans weren’t too bad, I’ve just got to work on my form a little bit.

I decided to skip out on practice tonight. I was pretty worn out and I want to be careful not to overdo it.

Chubrock
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Strong session tonight man. So much for the whole "chubs is stronger" thing huh haha.

Goodwinm
09-27-2006, 01:00 AM
very impressive man! great RAck Pulls!

Coke
09-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Solid physique Justin, good luck with the mixed martial arts...a workout journal does come in handy, nice session.

KingJustin
09-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Strong session tonight man. So much for the whole "chubs is stronger" thing huh haha.

Romanian Deadlifts: 135 x 8, 135 x 9, 135 x 8

135lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
155lbs x 10 (snatch grip)
185lbs x 10
225lbs x 8 (+1 rep)
Enough said. See ya Thursday.

And what's the final on the bands? If I buy stretch bands do you think we'll use them or not? It's only a few bucks so I don't mind either way.

Chubrock
09-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Dude if you wanna buy bands, we'll use em. As soon as I get the ends and outs of them sorted out haha. Where you pickin them up from?

KingJustin
09-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Wednesday: Sucked. Hard.

My grandfather was visiting his sister/nephew in Myrtle Beach, and my dad was down on business. We decided to meet everyone in Myrtle for the day. I had to study for a test that night. I didn't get a chance to workout, which is fine because I'm slightly concerned about overtraining and I was just missing practice.

Anyway, the sucked bad part came when I stayed in Myrtle for until 10:45 and then drove back home, preparing to study for my test when I got back. Well, I was kind of tired and driving fast so that I could stay awake, and I was fortunate enough during this time to be stopped by a State Trooper. 81 in a 55. The damn road was clear, it was a straight, well-paved highway, and there was next to 0 chance of an accident. I was very respectful to the officer, but he was damn excited about writing that ticket. Now I have to drive 45 minutes and go to court at 9:30 on October 26th, only to probably be fined to all hell.

On the bright side, I am sure I got somewhere between a 95-100 on this last test.

Looking forward to todays workout. Which kind of bands should we get? Let me know and I'll order them.

Chubrock
09-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Damn man, sucks about the ****in ticket. As far as the bands, talk with RickTheDestroyer and JustinASU. Hit them up in their journals. I don't know too much about band training, so they would be the best to ask.

KingJustin
09-28-2006, 04:37 PM
9/28/06
Speed Bench: 155 x 3 x 8 (3 different grips)
Bench: 205 x 1, 260 x 1
Abdominal Machine: 150 x 25, 150 x 24 (this set done after oblique work)
Oblique Pulley Twists: 70 x 12, 70 x 8
DB Incline: 65 x 8 x 2
Medium-Close Grip Low Pin Press: 135 x 5, 175 x 5 x 2, 185 x 5 x 2
Speed bench felt a little goofy. Iím not moving through it smooth or terribly fast yet. The 205 felt decent and moved up pretty quick, but the 260 was harder than I expected it to be. I might have been a little tired from previous sets and I guess I didnít prepare for it like I do my ME benches.
I felt like my form was a little sloppy on the oblique stuff on the first set, so I straightened it out on the second.
DB Incline is of course pathetic.
This is the first time Iíve done pin presses in awhile. I am starting the weight at my sticky poit. I might switch the order of that and incline next time, but I am liking the exercise and I think itís going to be helpful.

I've gotta go back to Myrtle Beach tonight to pick up my dad, which means I get to miss Thursty Thursday. As far as weights go, this could be a blessing.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to put up some big numbers. But, more importantly, I'm hoping to avoid the Robot Keg Race. This will be immensely challenging.

Chubrock
09-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Good workout today. Speed looked good and the 260 looked good as well.

KingJustin
09-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Power Cleans: 45 x 6
135 x 5
185 x 3
215 x 1
215 x 5 x 2

T-Bar Rows: 110 x 7, 110 x 6

Hypers: BW x 7
+25 x 12 x 2 (pretty easy)

DE (Low) Box Squats: 155 x 2 x 8

Ehh.. I didn't get much sleep at all last night. I had to drive down to Myrtle and spend the night. It was like 85 degrees in the place. I felt pretty out of it all day. The power cleans felt a little weird. My form wasn't great, and I felt like I was really using a lot of intensity to get the weight, but somehow they were sloppilly coming up, but I really felt like I could add a little weight onto them, too. It's hard to describe I guess.

Everything else came after I was really out of it. I didn't push myself all that hard and I lowered the sets a bit. DE Squats, however, felt better than usual. Some of the sets were still crappy, but on a couple I felt like I was really hitting the form right and moving quick.

I do not think I am going to be able to avoid the Robot Keg Race. I am going to try and sandbag as best as I can.

Also, I orderd: 2 minis, 2 monster minis, 10lb ON whey, 5lbs Nitrean, 3lbs Casein (with MicroLactin), 500g glutamine. This should hold me over for awhile.

KingJustin
10-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Well, I failed at missing out on the keg race.

Fortunately, our group was terrible and didn't come close to winning. One of the other groups finished exceedingly fast and so I didn't have to get blackout drunk. The next morning/day I felt really worthless, though. I was able to eat all right, but I didn't really work out. I did my dynamic stretches twice today and my static stretches once.

KingJustin
10-02-2006, 05:19 PM
10/1/06
Farmers Walks: 115 lbs/arm for about 30 feet + a turn. I did this 3 times.
Abdominal Pulldowns: 130 x 12 x 2 (pretty easy)
Side Pulldowns: 60 x 12 (easy, again)
Then I did some HIIT/circuits. I ran 200m, jogged 100m, did 10 push-ups & 10 sit-ups, walked 100m, and then repeated. I did this 4 times.
I was feeling really crappy again today and even though I wasn’t really out of breathe, I found this very unenjoyable.
Weight: 220
I began taking creatine today. I’m taking it 2x/day for the next two weeks, and then on to 1x per day.

KingJustin
10-02-2006, 05:19 PM
10/2/06
Bench Warm-up: 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5
2 Board: 205 x 5 (felt good)
215 x 3 (very easy)
235 x 3 (light)
255 x 1 (real light)
265 x 1 (wtf? This felt really heavy)
275 x 0 (felt like it was .5 lb too much)
Chins: BW x 5, BW+27.5x5 x 5
DB Incline: 60 x 10 x 2
Muscle Snatches: 45 x 12 x 2
Tricep Pushdowns: 135 x 12, 165 x 9
Started my cut today. One less scoop of oatmeal for breakfast, only 1 lunch instead of 3, one less post-workout meal, no half bagel with dinner unless I go to practice. Supplements now added include glutamine and either caffeine, ephedrine or thermorexin. I may have had a bit too much caffeine this time around.
I had a bit of an epiphany after leaving the gym today. My grip on bench (where I basically have been bending my hands terribly backwards to hold the bar) is really messing up my lift, and itís the reason my sticky point is so tough. I need to really work on holding the bar ďforwardĒ and tightening my wrists for now on. Iíll be working this on walk-outs on dynamic day.

Chubrock
10-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Sounds good Justin. Put up some good numbers today man. You ready to squat?

Stumprrp
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
justin very nice numbers lookin foward to seeing your progress, your already pretty jacked.

Chubrock
10-03-2006, 08:32 AM
I posted in my journal about this. I can't lift at 4, it's going to have to be at 5. I've got to go pick up like 2000lbs worth of Oly Plates today at 3. Hope this doesn't **** you up. Ya want to help me pick those plates up?

KingJustin
10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
10/3/06
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 10, +50 x 12 x 2
Russian Twists: +25 x 15
Squat Warm-Ups: 45 x 6, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
High Box Squats: 135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 3 (the weight itself started feeling heavy on my back about this point)
225 x 2
245 x 1
265 x 1 (started getting hard)
275 x 1 (very tough)
285 x 0 Ö didnít really budge
Romanian Deadlifts: 135 x 12
Power Cleans: 155 x 8
I might be trying to cut calories a little bit too much. I was feeling a little light-headed and out of it in the gym today. I also had to go to a meeting and had to cut my workout short. Iím going to practice tomorrow for the first time in awhile. I definitely dislike not having gone in a week.

Chubrock
10-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Good workout regardless Justin. We'll keep workin on that form and you'll be squattin huge before you know it.

KingJustin
10-04-2006, 08:52 PM
I felt a lot better today than the past couple days. I think it was because I got 9.5 hours of sleep last night, and usually I'll end up staying up quite late for one reason or another.

I had practice today ... This was my first time going to Wednesday practice, which happened to be 1 hour BJJ with the 'gi' and 1 hour no gi back to back. I hadn't been to a gi practice before and I didn't realize all the differences. Most importantly, every single move ****ing kills your throat. Mine still feels all ****ed up.

Practice wasn't too hard today. We ran a couple rounds at the end, but it was mostly just learning a bunch of new moves and doing them without real resistance from the other guy (sometimes we do moves where you have to do as many as you can in 2 minutes and the other guy resists, at least to an extent). For no gi we did a few moves from butterfly guard and then worked on a reversal from guard. I felt pretty good doing all this.

I switched from caffeine to thermorexin today, and I still don't know what I'm going to do with my 80 ephedrine gel caps that I can't swallow. The thermorexin made it much easier not to be so damn hungry, and I didn't feel exhausted 30 minutes intro practice today either.

I noticed that my shoulders are extremely bruised up from squatting yesterday, and I also figured out what I was doing wrong when I was unrackign the weight (my elbows were kind of "out" and not "up"). I think this will make unracking and holding the weight about 80x easier. Hams and lower back are slightly sore. Everything else feels great. Definitely pumped up about tomorrow's workout.

KingJustin
10-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Speed Bench: 155 x 3 x 8
205 x 1 (not speed, but went up really fast)
... got one or two really solid sets in there towards the end, otherwise most everything was still above par

Bench "Walk-Outs": 285, twice
Chubrock helped me lift the weight from the pins and I just held it for a few seconds, put it back, and repeated. This felt very heavy, so it was probably good that I am doing these. I really struggled to get my wrists around it correctly.

T-Bar Rows: 115 x 6 x 2, 115 x 5, 105 x 5 (got worn out by the end)

Oblique Pulley Twists: 70 x 12, 80 x 8 (each way)

Abdominal Machine: 150 x 30 ... I can't up the weight anymore here, but after I can do 2 more sets of this I'm going to switch exercises. This was very tough, though.

Incline BB: 155 x 6 x 3

Low Pin Press: 155 x 5 (not very low pins), 185 x 5, 195 x 5, 200 x 4 (failed on 5th)

Between the 185 x 5 and the 195 x 5 sets I noticed a dramatic drop in energy. I think that was just over the one hour point.

Overall, pretty happy with my workout. Nothing amazing, but I'm cutting and I'm moving up in weights still. Once the creatine comes all the way in and once I start bulking I'm expecting to make some real gains on the weight. I felt pretty good today, aside from my throat still hurting.

KingJustin
10-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I went home to Greensboro for Fall break. I stopped by GNC because I forgot my creatine, and the GNC guy suggested I try to convince the Gold's gym next door to give me a free trial. This meant that I had to really suck it up and be prepared for a lot of advice. I had brought along my creatine monohydrate that I just bought and was encouraged to return it and try some of their supplements that worked wayyy better. Thanks guys, but hey maybe you could look at me and see that maybe I kind of knew what I was doing, yeah?

10/6/06
135 x 4
185 x 5
205 x 1 (felt incredibly light)
215 x 1 (complete joke)
225 x 5 (PR ... although form somewhat compromised)
225 x 3 (form compromised to the point that I stopped)
185 x 7 (better form, I thought I was going to end up snatching it a couple times, the weight felt like a joke)

DE Squats: 185 x 2 x 7, 185 x 3 (accidentally did a triple once)

Hypers: BW+10 x 12 x 3

Workout done at Gold’s Gym.
I felt really crappy today. I missed out on some sleep last night and I was also getting physically tired in my muscles pretty quick because of the lack of energy from food. I think the reason I was hitting the power cleans was because of the awesome bars and weights.

Once I get some sleep, put on a couple pounds, line everything up right (i.e. not doing heavy rows the day before cleans) and get back on my bulk I feel like I should be putting up some really big numbers on power clean. I usually don't like to have goals, but I'm loosely aiming to hit 275 before January 27th. And yeah, I know power clean isn't a powerlift, but I'm going to make my bench/squat/clean/deadlift peak around there hopefully.

KingJustin
10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
10/7/06
Metabolic Conditioning Training ….
Deadlift, SLDL, Power Clean, Push Press, Front Squat, Push Jerk: 95 x 6 x 2 (6 reps of deadlifts immediately followed by 6 of sldl, etc, for 1 set, then rest, then another set)
2 rounds of boxing for 1:30 each
A little jump rope
A little more boxing

10/8/06
Circuit training … 25 worm-ups, 25 decline sit-ups, 25 jumping jacks, 25 push-ups, 25 seconds flutter kicks, 25 seconds of boxing, 25 Russian twists
Rest
Repeat for 15 reps per exercise
Rest
Repeat for 10 reps per exercise, moving as fast as possible
Then a little jump rope
Decline Sit-ups: BW+25 x 25
25 Full sit-ups with legs in air (making sure not to use anything but my abs)
I started cramping a little bit today. I think it's from the creatine so I'm going down to one serving per day I guess.

KingJustin
10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
10/9/06
Bench: 45 x 6
135 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5
185 x 5
195 x 5
205 x 3
215 x 3 x 2
225 x 3
240 x 1 x 2
250 x 1
260 x 1 x 2
270 x 1
Rows: 135 x 5, 145 x 5, 155 x 5, 165 x 5, 175 x 5
Close Grip: 135 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10
Muscle Snatches: 55 x 8 x 2
I worked out in the garage at my parentís home in Greensboro. No chin-up bar here anymore so I did rows instead. The bench is also not really good for incline so I avoided that as well. Iím still on my cut, although I guess I am getting all juiced up on creatine now, so maybe thatís keeping me going. I was happy with this workout, even though I felt really shaky and not very strong.
On the bench I felt like my arch was a little better last week, but I like my bar at home. I was able to keep my hands locked out for most the sets up until the 270. I forgot to change the weights a few times which is why I did a couple sets twice. I guess that just means I moved more weight than I had planned, which is great. Everything went up pretty easy until 270. I have had ME days where I lift a weight and feel like I couldnít add another ounce. 270 went up easier than that, though, and I might have been able to hit 275, but not 280. Since I missed 275 last week and 265 felt pretty heavy, Iíll consider this a success. Next week when Iím off my cut Iím really expecting to put up something respectable.

Chubrock
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Nice work Justin. You ready to get some good work in tomorrow?

KingJustin
10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
*Back in Wilmington

10/10/06
Squats: 45 x 6
135 x 5 x 2
185 x 5
225 x 2
240 x 1
250 x 1
260 x 1 (notable form deterioration at this point I think)
275 x 0
270 x 0
135 x 5
185 x 3
Romanian Deadlifts: 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 8 ..form definitely improving
Power Cleans: 155 x 5 x 4 (done in 3.5 minutes)
Pull-Throughs: “45” x 10, “75” x 10 … these were extremely light, I was just working on form and stretching out
I’ve been pretty sore recently. I never get sore when I’m bulking, so this is new to me since I’m not training overly hard. Abs and chest are still sore fro the circuits and I am pretty sure my hamstrings/lower back are going to be in rough shape tomorrow.
I stopped power cleans one set early because my form was getting kind of crappy, party because I was tired and partly because of all those RDL’s. I also want to avoid overtraining.
My roommate had a cold yesterday and is kind of over it now, I am somewhat worried about picking it up, though, so I’m going to do my best to not be susceptible by overtraining.
I didn’t take any glutamine/caseine (which has MicroLatin), so it’ll be helpful for my recovery when I start taking that again I believe.

Oh, also, we finally figured out why the bar felt so ****ing odd on my back. When I did the 135 and 185 sets and got my set up right it felt 100x better. Maybe that was because there was only about half as much weight.

Chubrock
10-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Great workout tonight man. The 260 didn't look bad. The setup is the biggest part of the squat, in my opinion.

KingJustin
10-11-2006, 07:58 PM
10/11/06
BJJ practice tonight. This was a solid practice. Learned some good techniques and definitely got a great workout. I went a few rounds with a couple guys and Iím feeling really solid with my technique up until the point where I have a dominant position and canít choke out someone that knows what theyíre doing. In MMA thatís no problem, though, so I donít really care all that much.
I was also feeling pretty light-headed during practice. Iím guessing this is because it was pretty intense paired with me cutting calories. Iím feeling good now, though.
-----
Side note: Marcello Lewis is apparently coming this weekend. I really don't know who this is, but my coaches seem to think really highly of him. I'm considering going to one of his practices.

KingJustin
10-12-2006, 04:34 PM
10/12/06
Chin-Ups: BW x 7 … just did these so I don’t have to go down in weight next Monday

Ehh .. speed could have been a little better

Bench Walk-Outs: 295 x 1 x 2
Didn’t feel too heavy, but still definitely too much to bench

T-Bar Rows: 115 x 8, 115 x 7, 115 x 5

DB Incline: 45 x 7 … again, just did these to keep the muscle memory there

Incline BB: 165 x 6, 165 x 5 (tough), 155 x 5

Pin Presses: 155 x 5, 185 x 5 (these 2 were done with a short bench so it was easy … then I realized it and switched to the normal bench), 195 x 5, 205 x 6

Weight: 220.5

Good session. Feeling pretty good and looking to hopefully repeat last week’s power cleans tomorrow. I'm going to try to avoid doing anything tonight. I'm really trying to buckle down and do some school work/LSAT prep till this semester ends. I even joined a couple clubs so I have something to write down for "activities." Goal is to avoid alcohol until December 3rd.

Chubrock
10-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Dude the speed looked good. Dunno what you're complainin about.

KingJustin
10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, I failed on my "don't go out" plan and ended up not really sleeping last night, but I took a nap all day so it evened out. No drinking, though, despite intense peer pressure that I totally resisted.

10/13/06
135 x 5
185 x 1
205 x 1
225 x 1
225 x 3 x 2
225 x 1 x 2 (short rests)
This bar makes these 10x as hard. Form was a little better than last week, at least.
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 10, +60 x 10 x 2
Russian Twists: +30 x 11
Speed Semi-Low Box Squats: 195 x 2 x 8
These weren’t done as fast as usual because of the weight, but I was at least unracking the bar right and my form is getting better. Gotta keep working on leading with my head/chest.
Hypers: BW x 12, +25 x 12 x 3
Felt good again today. This was my last workout done on this cut, so I’m happy to see almost everything went up. I feel like if I could have used the same bar as I did last week on power cleans that it would have also gone up. These next 2 days I’m going to drop the calories a little more and then I’m going to start bulking again.

KingJustin
10-14-2006, 06:47 PM
10/14/06
Running on the track …
2 minute hard run, 2 minute slow jog
1:45 hard run, 1:45 slow jog
1:30 hard run, walk
200m hard run/sprint, walk
200m hard run/sprint, walk
Cool down lap
It was pretty cold out and I felt terrible after I finished. Not too bad of a performance overall, though.
Also, I’ve been doing a pretty good job recently of doing both my dynamic and static stretches.

KingJustin
10-15-2006, 07:40 PM
10/15/06
Quick cardio session, got the heart rate up, though.
Circuits:
15 ďworm-ups,Ē 15 sit-ups, 15 jumping jacks, 15 push-ups, 15 side sit-ups, 15 squats, 15 seconds of boxing
Repeat once without rest
Total time: 5:24
Calories cut pretty significantly again today. This is the last day of my cut. Time to put up some serious numbers the next 3-4+ weeks. Tomorrow may be the only tough day, I would guess.
My left hip flexor has been really bothering me the last couple days, though. I think I either pulled or dislocated it, maybe I strained it. It doesnít really matter for any of my lifts besides the sit-ups (and in that case only slightly), but Iím not going to be able to do my stretches until it heals up. I am guessing that is how I pulled it.

Goodwinm
10-16-2006, 12:50 AM
WOw very interesting and thorough workouts in here! nice going dude. I'll keep looking by.

What ur big 3 dude?

Chubrock
10-16-2006, 11:15 AM
You best be ready for tonight man. We've got some 3 Board to do. Should be a lot of fun.

KingJustin
10-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Goodwinm, my big 3 are to this point unknown. My last ME bench I hit 270, but I've hit a little more than that a couple summers ago. I didn't really start "powerlifting" until I lifted with Chubrock. Up until that point I kind of did ME bench and then leg work, but that usually didn't include deadlifts or squats. In the upcoming meet I'm aiming for something like ..
305 bench/295 squat/405 deadlift

I think the squat is going to be by far the hardest for me to hit. Right now I can power clean a little more than I can squat.

To be honest, though, I'm still keeping a focus on bodybuilding. It's 90% diet, so I'm not so much worried about my workouts, but there's some accessory/supplemental stuff that I would go heavier on and not focus so much on progressive overload if I were just powerlifting.

As for today's workout ...

10/16/06
Done with my cut and adding some serious calories.
Bench: 135 x 6, 155 x 5, 185 x 5 (all warm-ups)
3 Board Press: 205 x 5 (felt good)
225 x 3 (easy)
245 x 1 (went up quick)
265 x 1 (went up fast but I felt a little awkward)
275 x 1 (not too hard … went up kind of quick but still felt a little awkward)
285 x 1 (felt pretty heavy but went up either way)
I forgot to do a few of the small things that I generally do before my maxes (ie massaging chest/triceps/shoulders, getting my “trigger point,” visualizing, remembering to tear the bar apart), but I was happy to hit 285. I don’t think 295 would have gone up no matter what.
DB Incline: 70 x 8 x 2
Rope Pushdowns: 105 x 6, 150 x 10, 165 x 9
Chin-Ups: BW x 5, +30 x 5 x 3, +30 x 3 (failed on 4th)
Muscle Snatches: 60 x 9, 60 x 8
Weight: 220
Sleep could have been a bit better last night. It’s always tough adjusting from the weekend sleep schedule to the week sleep schedule and so Mondays sometimes take a hit. I was feeling decent enough anyway and was happy with the numbers.

I think I'm going to get my body fat/official weight tested this Friday. I'm on creatine right now and by Fridy I should have my carb storage repleated (is that going to be added to fat or muscle in a BF% test?) and all that good stuff. I'm guessing that I'll gain about 2.5-3.5 lbs by then and after that hopefully 1.5 lbs/week until I cut again.

Chubrock
10-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Good workout today Justin. Nice board presses.

Goodwinm
10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
sweeet pressing man!

KingJustin
10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
10/16/06
Evening Workout (Started 2 hours, 45 minutes after last workout):
MMA Class ... This is a new class and I like it. John Maynard is the coach of it and he's pretty good at teaching. Got a decent enough workout in and learned some pretty cool techniques, mainly involving transitioning from boxing to dirty boxing/standing submissions/Muay Tai clench/knees.

I definitely felt really crappy after the class and had serious diarreah. I'm feeling a little bit better now, but definitely far from great. Only 1 training session/day for the rest of the week, so recovery shouldn't be too much of a problem.
----
GW/Chubrock: Thanks!

KingJustin
10-17-2006, 09:43 PM
10/17/06
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +60 x 13 x 2
Russian Twists: +30 x 13
These kind of hurt my left hip flexor
Deadlifts: 135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
255 x 5
275 x 3
295 x 3
315 x 1
335 x 1
355 x 1
375 x 1
Ehh… 375 wasn’t so terribly hard, but my form is absolutely atrocious. I really need to work to improve that.
Power Cleans: 155 x 5 x 5 (done in 5 minutes)
Not too bad. Form could improve a little bit but cardio-wise I was feeling decent. I think I can hit 6 sets in 5 minutes next time.
Hypers: BW x 13, +35 x 12 x 3
We worked out a bit late today, but I felt pretty decent. I was all groggy and feeling rough this morning, but I took a 3 hour nap. I’m a bit worried that I won’t be able to fall asleep tonight.

Goodwinm
10-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Super deadlifting man. Awesome with the 375 dead.

KingJustin
10-18-2006, 08:09 PM
BJJ practice today. All gi work…
This was a very intense practice. We started off doing what was essentially hard circuit training. Lots of push-ups, sit-ups, “dives” (which I previously called worm-ups), sprawls, abdominal holds, etc. Then we went right into arm bars/triangles from guard where we were aiming for speed and lots of repetition.
We got a little bit of instruction after this, working on shooting in and a couple moves to go straight to side control from there. I’m getting a bit better at shooting in now and I think my knees are improving a bit.
After we drilled all that, we did some quick timed rounds starting from the knees. If you finish you just started back over. We were supposed to go all out the whole time. 6 rounds, 2 minutes each, with a 20 second or so break in between. This was really brutal with a gi on. I ended up going 4 – 2. I got 1 submission and the others I just won by points. Both my losses were by submission. I’m new to this gi crap and I got submitted by the guy inside my guard. The other loss was from when I got mounted, quickly reversed and then made the mistake of leaving 1 arm inside the guy’s guard when I was going for a quick pass. Rookie mistake.
------

Goodwinm: Thanks bro. It's a start; hopefully I can start pulling what someone my size is supposed to pull.

KingJustin
10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
10/19/06
Good speed, decent arch, but I was having some trouble staying tight through all 3 reps and such. Everything was kind of sloppy but fast.
Low Pin Press: 155 x 5, 205 x 5 x 4
Right at my sticky point. Definite improvement since last week and it wasn’t even all that hard. I should have no problem storming through the next few weeks, adding 5-10 lbs each time.
BB Incline: 135 x 6, 155 x 6, 165 x 5 x 2
Not too hard, good form, etc. I thought I’d be burnt out and not come close to hitting last week’s numbers, but this felt fine.
External DB Rotations: 25 x 12 x 2
Internal Pulley Rotations: “60” x 12 x 2
Weight: 223.5
I went real late today because I accidentally took another 4 hour nap. I was feeling pretty rough for awhile, but by the time I worked out I wasn’t too bad. My abs/obliques/neck are real sore, and having a sore neck sucks. After working out and waking up a bit, I’m feeling pretty good. Working out late also helped me successfully avoid Thirsty Thursday!! (Although I had to promise to go out tomorrow night, ehh, looks like I'll be driving!) Either way, I’ve been doing pretty well at avoiding alcohol. If I can just get my sleep pattern right I should be good to go.

Goodwinm
10-20-2006, 05:26 PM
excelletn speed benching!

KingJustin
10-20-2006, 07:41 PM
10/20/06
Power Cleans: 135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 1
225 x 1
225 x 4 (ugh, grip was giving out)
225 x 3 (****. Dropped the weight midway through the clean and it fell hard haha)
Speed Box Squats: 170 x 2 x 8 (Good speed, form slightly improved … I need to remember to open my groin)
I think I’m still kind of leading with my hips, but it’s improving.
Romanian Deadlifts: 155 x 10 x 2 (Definitely hit my lower back hard!)
Well, I did not realize that the gym closed this early on Fridays. I had to workout in about 35 minutes, so I was kind of rushing my sets and I didn’t get a chance to do my back work. I was pretty upset about missing 5 reps on power cleans. I think if I had some chalk it would have been no problem – I felt pretty good on the first few reps except for my grip. I felt like the RDL’s were hitting my lats a little bit from just focusing on pulling my shoulders back. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow and if my boxing partner can’t make it I might do some “metabolic conditioning” and some T-Bar rows.
My abs are still sore so I don’t mind missing the ab work.
------

Goodwinm: Thanks bro, trying to make up for my inability to squat!

Chubrock
10-20-2006, 10:45 PM
Pretty good session Justin. We'll get your form ironed out soon enough. You going to compete with me in January?

Goodwinm
10-21-2006, 01:21 AM
nice session man. superb cleans!

KingJustin
10-21-2006, 07:01 PM
10/21/06
T-Bar Rows: 120 x 4 x 3
Spread Eagle Sit-Ups: BW x 6, BW x 10 x 2 (immediate drop set to 25 crunches with legs in air)
Metabolic Circuit: (6 sldl, 6 front squats, 6 power cleans, 6 push jerks, 6 back squats, 6 push presses, 6 deadlifts)
95 lbs x 1 circuit
Rest 2 minutes
95 lbs x 1 circuit
Rest 3 minutes
95 lbs x 1 circuit

Oh man that was rough. After the first set I was feeling OK. Second set was really tiring and my grip was worrying me. Third set I gutted through, and then felt like I was going to collapse. My grip was completely dead and I was shaking and exhausted.
Today I intentionally ate about the same amount as I did during my cut. This was because (1) I didnít feel like taking the time to eat and (2) lipid levels or something like that. I canít remember the name of it but itís real. Now when I eat a bunch next week Iíll put on weight as opposed to just having my body get used to all the excess calories.
---------
Andrew - Yeah, I'm planning on competing in January. I'd really like to break 1000 by then, so hopefully I can get that damn squat up!

Goodwin - Thanks bro. That's about the only (pseudo)leg exercise that I can do anything on.

KingJustin
10-22-2006, 05:57 PM
10/22/06
Practiced some grappling and boxing tonight with my buddy thatís a pretty solid wrestler.
Started with a couple guard passes where I started in guard. After that I practiced a couple throws and then we went a couple rounds starting from our knees.
Then we moved to boxing. Did a couple quick drills and then went to do a round. Well, towards the end I landed a pretty solid jab, and I didnít throw everything I had but my partner made me stop because he thought he broke his nose. I think he was just tired of getting hit and wanted to go.
Total workout was about an hour. Pretty solid work. My partner's wrestling background pretty much means that he's always pretty intense, so I got my heart rate up pretty good.

Goodwinm
10-23-2006, 02:19 AM
good stuff man. Sounds like fun!

RickTheDestroyer
10-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Those are some strong powercleans man, especially considering how high you're having to heave that weight. That barbell complex looks ****ing puketacular.

KingJustin
10-23-2006, 07:30 PM
10/23/06
Bench: 135 x 6, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
2 Boards: 205 x 5
225 x 3
250 x 1
260 x 1
275 x 1
285 x 0
Last set was just a tad bit too heavy. I got it moving a little bit and I thought I had it but I guess not. I know I could have definitely done 280 today.

Chins: BW x 5, +35 x 5 x 4, BW x 5
Felt pretty good. I’m having a little trouble getting my chin up too much past the bar on the weighted sets.

DB Incline: 70 x 10 x 2 (tough … almost failure)
Tricep Rope Pushdowns: 165 x 10, 165 x 7 (was a bit fatigued)
Rotator Elbows in side twist door handle things: 10 x 12 x 2 (pretty light)

I had to wake up pretty early to go to court to get a continuance on my ticket. My goal is to get it continued over and over, until the point that I can get connections good enough to convince the DA to drop it to a non-moving violation.
------
Goodwinm: Yeah, MMA is awesome. I love the sparring workouts.

Rick: Thanks a bunch man. As rough as those complexes are, people like Anthony are doing 3x more work and moving right through, so I guess I've got something to train for. Dude's like a damn cardio bunny.

KingJustin
10-24-2006, 07:15 PM
10/24/06
Low Box Squats: 135 x 6
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 3
215 x 3
225 x 3 (Started feeling like I had to work a bit around here)
235 x 3 (Felt a little heavier than it should have)
245 x 3 (Not too bad)
I am finally understanding what the whole ďdonít push your hips in firstĒ thing means. I am sort of getting towards doing that. Somehow, though, I think on a couple of the heavier sets I let my back round a little bit just from not thinking about it. Lots of stuff to focus on! I think I may have been able to do a rep or two more with 245 on there.
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 6, +70 x 10 x 2 (Done intentionally pretty slowly)
These are starting to feel pretty heavy now. No oblique work because Iím trying not to stress my left hip flexor. Maybe I should have done pulleys.
Power Cleans: 155 x 5 x 6 (Done in 5:15)
EhÖ almost got it down. After the third or fourth set, my grip made it very tough to keep moving quickly, and my form was sort of compensating for that. Chalk may have helped a little.
Hypers: BW x 12, +45 x 15
After that I had to get out and watch a movie for class. This was done in about 45 minutes or so. I felt decent. Nothing spectacular here but I guess Iím slowly progressing.

KingJustin
10-25-2006, 09:07 PM
10/25/06
BJJ gi practice today. Pretty tough practice again. Started off doing some circuit stuff that was kind of to failure for each exercise Ö some push-ups, dives, jump over stuff, etc.
Then we did some practice on shooting and triangles, doing them over and over as fast as we could.
Then we learned a couple new movesÖ
Finished off doing seven 2 minute rounds with no rest in between.

Chubrock
10-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Nice squattin man. Why'd you squat off the low box though?

KingJustin
10-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Nice squattin man. Why'd you squat off the low box though?
I thought about high boxes, but decided I didn't have enough time to get in a few sets in and PR. I think you said low boxes next week, so I just figured I'd triple this week and single next week.

Also, I'm trying to decide on a Halloween outfit. I've pretty well narrowed it down to the following. Any votes on which one?

Steve Irwin
Clockwork Orange dude
Bunny the lifeguard
Matt Lesko (dude that sells books)
Reno 911 cops
Sin City character
Chuck Norris
Duke Lacrosse Team
Fabolous

Chubrock
10-25-2006, 09:23 PM
I like the Duke Lacrosse team haha. Should be original.

KingJustin
10-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah ... I'm trying to think of how to get across the "I rape black strippers" without making it terribly obvious. That is my favorite pick if I can figure out how to pull it off, though.

Everything straight to work out at 5:00 tomorrow?

Chubrock
10-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Most definitely man. I'll be there at 5.

KingJustin
10-26-2006, 10:39 PM
10/26/06
DE Bench: 155 x 3 x 8
OK speed, OK form. Thereís still some room for improvement for sure, but itís getting there. One of the bigger problems Iím having is throwing the weight up really fast and subsequently loosening my shoulder blades. Thatís just bad bench form I guess.
Bench: 225 x 1 x 2
Bench Walk-Out: 305 x 1 x 2
Spread Eagle Overhead DB Sit-ups: BW x 10, +20 x 10 x 2 (pretty short rest)
Low Pin Press: 155 x 5, 210 x 5, 215 x 5 x 2, 210 x 5
Very happy about this. The weight just doesnít feel too heavy even when Iím adding 5-10 lbs each week.
Incline BB: 135 x 6, 165 x 6 x 2
External DB Rotator: 30 x 10
Internal Pulley Rotator: ď60Ē x 13
Overall I was happy with this workout. I didnít sleep very well last night and I was pretty tired throughout the day. I was also expecting all those push-ups and dives from yesterday to make today really tough. But, I improved to some extent in everything, so hopefully it keeps up.

KingJustin
10-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Ugh, bad focus on lifting this weekend (even though I had a damn great time). I just can't give up social life on Halloween/Halloween weekend. I'm going to try and do a couple good workouts on Monday/Tuesday, but I'm going out on Halloween again and then I'm going to refocus and try to seriously focus back on my routine.

I did go as a Duke lacrosse player (Saturday anyway) and I took the outfit pretty far I think. I'll probably post a couple of pictures if people tag them on facebook. I didn't take any myself but a bunch of others did.

On Friday night, I went to a bar crawl and got free admission and a couple free drinks, and then sobered up and drove to a small party .... The (real) Ms. Maryland was there, and she was nursing a bottle of Smirnoff for about 2 hours. By the time she (finally) finished it, she was totally trashed. This prompted her to do 2 keg stands and throw up all over the place! Several people got a video of it I think, absolute hilarity!

On the bad side, my costume on Friday didn't allow me to have pockets. Long story short, I rode home with someone else and left my car at the party ... but I still don't have my keys and can't find them. Hopefully my car hasn't been stolen, but I have no car until probably Monday when I get a new set of keys. Yesterday I did some circuits since I couldn't get to the gym.

10/29/06
Felt a little crappy/slow and out of it today…
Did some circuit training.
First circuit: 25 dives, 20 squats, 30 knees-in-air-sit-ups, 30 jumping jacks, 30 push-ups, 25 clap sit-ups, 30 seconds boxing
Rest 1 minute, 20 seconds
Second circuit: 13 dives, 10 squats, 15 knees-in-air-sit-ups, 15 jumping jacks, 15 push-ups, 13 clap sit-ups, 15 seconds boxing
Rest about 1 minute
First circuit: 7 dives, 10 squats, 15 knees-in-air-sit-ups, 15 jumping jacks, 15 push-ups, 13 clap sit-ups, 15 seconds boxing
Didn’t feel terrible during my workout, but I think it’s more that I’m getting into better shape rather than feeling decent today.

KingJustin
10-29-2006, 10:33 PM
10/30/06
Felt a little slow and crappy today, but at least I did manage to get some sleep (during the day, anyway).
I sparred and such tonight Ö we did some drills for awhile, then went a couple rounds.

RickTheDestroyer
10-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Workouts look good dude. I do the same thing on speed bench- you've just gotta really focus on keep your back pinched tight. I'd love to see some halloween (and drunk ms. maryland) pictures.

Total suX0rz about the car though... how's that working out?

KingJustin
10-30-2006, 06:37 PM
10/30/06
Felt OK today.
Bench: 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 5
1 Board: 205 x 5, 225 x 3, 245 x 3, 265 x 2 (failed on 3)
Third rep on board press I just needed to lock out. Thatís about as close as Iíve come to hitting a rep and still managing to miss it. I think I could have made the lift.
T-Bar Rows: 115 x 5 x 4, 115 x 4
DB Incline: 70 x 11 x 2
Rope Pushdowns: 160 x 10, 160 x 7 (failure on 8)
Rotator Elbows in side twist door handle things: 15 x 13 x 2
Nothing great, nothing terrible today. I was a bit upset about missing that third rep on bench and such. Hopefully Iíll come in more prepared next week.

Rick: I'll be sure to get some pics up pretty soon. If anyone puts pics they took with me on facebook, they'll be pretty good. I also managed to find my car/keys yesterday! It was kind of like a scavenger hunt.

Chubrock
10-30-2006, 06:40 PM
Strong work as usual man. Flair those elbows out and it may help you lock it out next time. Patrick is from Nigeria. I'm wondering what he can pull. He's definitely strong as hell.

KingJustin
10-31-2006, 05:48 PM
10/31/06
Quick session, wasnít really into it, just wanted to do something today.
Low Box Squats: 135 x 5, 185 x 4, 225 x 2, 245 x 1, 260 x 1, 275 x 0
Doh! I managed to stack the weights unevenly on the 260. It felt pretty light and I know I could have hit 265. 275 probably could have gone up with some serious effort on a better day. I released my hips this time, which I forgot to do previously.
Good Mornings: 45 x 10, 95 x 10, 115 x 7 x 2
Abdominal Pulldowns: 130 x 10, 130 x 7, 80(?) x 30
Power Cleans: 135 x 5 x 3 Ö just working on form.
Itís Halloween, I wasnít very focused and just wanted to get in and out.

KingJustin
11-01-2006, 07:48 PM
11/1/06
Well, I felt like complete **** today thanks to Halloween being last night, me not sleeping last night, and me drinking too much last night.
BJJ practice today. Not too hard compared to usual. We did some spin drills and arm-bar drills to start off class and then just learned some gi guard passes. Class ended by doing five 2 minute rounds with no rest between. I’m definitely getting better.

KingJustin
11-02-2006, 07:07 PM
11/2/06
DE Bench: 45 x 6, 95 x 6, 135 x 6, 155 x 3 x 8
Bench: 205 x 1, 260 x 1
Both were pretty easy, but 260 felt really awkward because of the way we loaded the weight.
Pin Press: 175 x 5, 205 x 5, 220 x 5 x 3
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +70 x 13 x 2
I tried to really focus on just using my abs and not also my hip flexors. These were tough.
Incline BB: 135 x 6, 165 x 7 (pretty much failure), 175 x 3
Weight: 224
Today marked the first day of my 2 week cycle where Iíll be bulking and really making sure not to mess up my workouts or diet.

KingJustin
11-03-2006, 06:43 PM
11/3/06
Power Cleans: 135 x 6
185 x 3
205 x 1
225 x 1
225 x 5 (I had to sort of stop really quickly between a couple reps to dry my hands/the bar)
225 x 4 (not too hard)
Chins: BW x 5, +25 x 8, +25 x 6, +25 x 5
Not too happy about this Ö I think not doing chins for over a week hurt me a bit here
DE Low Box Squats: 175 x 2 x 8 (or maybe it was 9)
I controlled the descent and released my hips, then exploded up this time. Usually I just go as fast as I can. Form improving still, but definitely still room for continued improvement.
Romanian Deadlifts: 155 x 8 x 2
Overall good session. I was happy about how light the power cleans felt, especially because I thought missing last weekís session was going to really hurt my weight this week. I really need to buy some chalk or something next week. Chalk + a better bar and I think I can put up 235 for the same reps. 275 x 1 by January 27th seems attainable as long as I donít get sick/injured.

KingJustin
11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
11/4/06
Did a warm-up 400m jog and some push-ups/jumping jacks, then did my metabolic conditioning complexes, which I added rows to …
Front Squats, Rows, SLDL, Power cleans, Push presses, Back squats, Push Jerks, Deadlifts: 95 lbs x 6 (6 reps first exercise, 6 reps next, etc, no rest) – took 110 seconds
Rest 2 minutes and a couple seconds
95 lbs x 6 – took about 130 seconds
95 lbs x 6 – didn’t check time … this set was done after the ab work
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +25 x 20 x 3
The heat was on in the gym, which made it pretty rough. My grip wasn’t strong enough to go for the third set without letting it recover, so I waited a bit. I could probably improve my form on these a bit. I get tired and then just don’t feel like moving my hips or bending my knees, so my form looks god awful on some of the reps … gotta improve that.

KingJustin
11-05-2006, 05:19 PM
11/5/06
Best sparring workout that we’ve had so far. We went through some drills for awhile, then sparred for a few rounds. After that we did some BJJ for awhile.
Total time was about an 1:15

KingJustin
11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
11/6/06
Bench: 45 x 6, 95 x 6, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
Close-Grip: 195 x 5
215 x 3
235 x 1
255 x 1 (+10lb PR … real fast first few inches, then had to gut it out)
260 x 0 (felt light for the first few inches, and then I just had nothing … my grip messed me up again I think)
T-Bar Rows: 70 x 6, 120 x 5 x 5
Rope Pushdowns: 180 x 11, 180 x 8
Incline DB: 75 x 8, 75 x 7
Rotator Door Things: 20 x 13 x 2
Weight: 228
Today I felt better than any other time in the last 2 months. I’m happy with the numbers on everything besides close grip. I thought for sure I’d hit 260 today. I think my shoulders were my weak point and boxing so hard/long yesterday probably didn’t help too much.
I was happy to see 228 on the scale, but after my workout I took perhaps the biggest **** of my life, so I think 225-226 is probably a bit more accurate... granted I did go a meal early.

Chubrock
11-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Nice session today bro. Put up some good numbers.

KingJustin
11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks man.

Also 11/6/06
Hardest boxing practice yet. Why must they do it today? Usually Mondays are easy-work-on-form days.
We did three 3 minute rounds of shadow boxing, then did two 3 minute rounds where our partner called out how many punches we have to make on the focus pads.
Then worked on blocks/side steps for a coupe rounds.
Then worked jabs for 3 minutes.
Then a couple things I don't remember
Then we went for three 30 second rounds where we were supposed to just alternate left-right as fast/hard as we could.
Then 20 reps of left-right-left-power right
Then 8 sets back-to-back of ab exercises for 20 reps each (so 160 reps total)
I guess I wasn’t really exhausted, but I just kind of felt like crap afterwards, sort of like “oh ****, don’t overtrain.”

KingJustin
11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
135 x 5 x 4
185 x 3
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1 (+5 lb PR)
275 x 1 (+15 lb PR)
285 x miss
295 x 0 (intentional negative, but the last 3-4 inches down felt ridiculously heavy and I kind of fell through them quick)
Rack Pulls from Knee: 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 5 x 2, 315 x 3 (these 3 reps were done with static holds using different grips at the top)
I was just doing rack pulls to work on my grip work, and wasnít trying to go really heavy.
Hypers: BW x 13
Power Cleans: 165 x 5 x 4 (Done in 4:40 Ö not too tiring)
Weight: 226
Going into the 275 set I honestly wasnít expecting to hit it. Thatís probably the first set Iíve hit a weight I didnít expect to. 285 felt pretty heavy, and I donít think I gave it a good enough shot, but I doubt I would have lifted it anyway.
I felt kind of crappy today. I didnít sleep great last night for some reason and the double session yesterday was tough. Iím feeling like Iím overtraining and just waiting to get sick. But, the lifts are still going up, nothing is injured (although I think my shoulders are getting hit a bit much), and Iím definitely bigger/leaner than ever before. Iím going to try to take it a little easier the next couple of days. I might skip out on practice tomorrow.

Stumprrp
11-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Justin nice closegrip bench 255 is serious weight!

KingJustin
11-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Stump: thanks a bunch man. I'm hoping that carries over in a couple weeks when we max out on flat bench..

10/8/06
In the early afternoon I ran through some boxing drills with my sparring partner. We went a little harder than I expected to and got a decent workout out of it. Total time was about 35 minutes I would guess.
At night, I had BJJ gi practice. Fortunately, it was a lot easier than usual. We did a few quick mobility-type drills, trying to get the heart rate up and such, then some quick neck work and some lower back work. After that we just drilled moves. This was relatively taxing, but nothing like usual. At the end we spent a few minutes doing guard passes and then called it a day.
Iím still feeling a little bit overworked, though. Iím going to do low volume tomorrow and get out of there quick.

KingJustin
11-09-2006, 08:54 PM
10/9/06
DE Bench: couple warm-ups, then 155 x 3 x 7 (shoulders really bothered me)
Chins: BW x 6, +25 x 8 x 2
Pin Press: 155 x 5, 225 x 5 x 2
Incline: 95 x 20
Weight: 228 (couple meals early and such)
Shoulders feeling really rough. Other than that, I got some good sleep last night and feel pretty good.

KingJustin
11-10-2006, 08:07 PM
10/10/06
My shoulders were still not doing too well, and I want to take a day off before I do some heavy power cleans. So, I did a few quick circuits and did my best not to fatigue the muscles that I'll need fresh for cleans...
Circuits:
45 sit-ups, 45 rows with 45 lbs, 45 Russian twists on decline bench, 15 squats, 45 jumping jacks, 30 sit-ups, 30 rows with 45 lbs, 30 Russian twists on decline bench, 15 squats, 30 jumping jacks, 20 sit-ups, 20 rows with 45 lbs, 20 Russian twists on decline bench, 15 squats, 20 jumping jacks, 15 sit-ups, 15 rows with 45 lbs, 15 Russian twists on decline bench, 15 jumping jacks, 10 sit-ups, 10 rows with 45 lbs, 10 Russian twists on decline bench, 10 jumping jacks

All done with no rest in between. Felt pretty easy, but then again the circuit was really light and didn't have any hard exercises.

KingJustin
11-11-2006, 08:40 PM
11/11/06
Power Cleans: 135 x 6
185 x 3
205 x 1
225 x 1
246 x 1
255 x 0 x 3
225 x 1 x 2
205 x 1 x 3
135 x 5 x 5
I think it was something like that. I took a video on one of the 225’s to see my form and it was TERRIBLE (and the 245 was definitely worse). Every part of the lift was atrocious. I am doing rounded-back deadlift, then starting a power upright row, and then kind of a reverse curl as I lean back. Ouch. Even still, I think I pulled the 255 up high enough to clean it if I would have dropped a bit more.
Squats: 135 x 5
Video’d this one, too. Not as bad, but I kind of lean my back forward like I’m doing hypers for some reason. I need to focus on just “standing proud” with my chest out I think.
Front Squats: 135 x 5
Romanian Deadlifts: 135 x 7
I was pretty worn out after the power cleans so I just called it a day after that.
Right shoulder was hurting a little still…

I'll put the vids up in a bit.

135 squats, just working on my form. It felt weird not having a mirror. I love my facial expression on squats haha (http://www.zippyvideos.com/1134294856267376/135_squat/)
225 clean ... pretty ugly. (http://www.zippyvideos.com/1725527616267386/225_clean/)
135 Clean ... I tried to focus on my form a little better. Still pretty ugly. (http://www.zippyvideos.com/6225656006267366/135_clean/)

KingJustin
11-12-2006, 07:19 PM
11/12/06
Didnít really feel like working out that much todayÖ
Did a few sets of static holds where I started double overhand, then drop setted to mixed grip both ways.
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +50 x 20 x 2
Russian Twists: +25 x 13
Then did a quick circuit that was pretty much jump rope + some calisthenics done with a little extra motivation + some sit-ups and a short ďshuttle run.Ē
Then did neck work Ö 50 ďyesesĒ and 25 ďnoísĒ

Chubrock
11-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Gotta hit depth on those squats. It's weird squatting without a mirror, but you gotta focus on hitting.

RickTheDestroyer
11-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Dude- I am really in awe of your power clean strength. Form on that recent 225 wasn't fantastic, but if you're able to get up that much weight without perfect form then you're gonna be throwing up really sick weights as your form improves. Strong benching, and congrats on the squat PR too.

KingJustin
11-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Andrew: Yeah, I think I usually go a little bit lower on the squats (you probably know better than me, though). It just felt so damn awkward not being able to see myself. I'll try to work my form out a bit tomorrow. What I was more concerned with is that I think my back is moving like I'm doing hypers.

Rick: Thanks a bunch. I think I'll be dropping the weight down significantly and learning how to lift the right way, and once I get that down I'll start upping the weight. Hopefully I can learn to use my hips/legs and not my back and then get some good weight going in power cleans & deadlifts...

11/13/06
Hmm, this was kind of a dumb workout. I don’t really care, though, because I’m trying to make sure I’m fresh for next week when we max out on flat bench.
Bench: 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
3 Board: 205 x 5 (very light)
215 x 3 (light)
255 x 1 (flew up)
285 x 1 (not hard, didn’t really concentrate and went up fine)
315 … I started laughing after this one, because I think the spotter wanted me to be able to lift this so bad and thought it would be nice if he helped me out. I’m not really sure how much he helped here. It actually didn’t feel too bad when I was bringing it down and I thought I might have hit it, but I know I should have struggled more than I did. So I’m not counting this weight. I think I could have very easily PR’d at 295 had I tried, though.
Tricep Pushdowns: 195 x 7, 185 x 8 (these were really hard/heavy)
Chins: BW x 8, BW x 10 (wide … and I think I got some assistance), BW x 8 (wide, probably a little assistance), BW x 7 (wide/assistance). My spotter was trying to get me to keep my knees together and such.
Then we did 3 sets for abs/obliques, 3 sets for hip flexors/quads and another 5 sets for abs (the last 4 being pretty easy). I don’t remember the weight, but we didn’t rest very much in between.
Incline DB: 20 x 35
And then I called it a day. I was pretty tired.

KingJustin
11-14-2006, 09:30 PM
11/14/06
Speed Squats: 165 x 2 x 8
Still need to vastly improve my form, need to sit way back, and need to keep my back from moving around too much.
Walk-Outs: 315 x 2 Ö these might not even count as walk-outs, it felt ****ing heavy
Then I did a couple sets of light power cleans and deadlifts, trying to get my form down. I donít think Iím there just yet.
Romanian Deadlifts: 155 x 10 x 2
Leg Extensions: 160 x 10 x 2 (supersetted with)
Hamstring Curls: 105 x 10 x 2
I feel like a loser for doing those. I really donít like them, especially with our equipment, but we donít have a glute-ham raise and I feel like Iím not doing enough progressive-overload concentric movements with a decent rep range for leg growth.
Weight: 229.5 Ö

KingJustin
11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
11/15/06
BJJ practice today. Pretty tough. We did some callisthenic type stuff for awhile and then some mobility drills. After that we just went back and forth, doing 2 minutes of a drill then letting our partner go. We did this for about 35 minutes, then did some instruction, and then we did 6 or 7 two minute rounds back-to-back. I am getting a lot more submissions now, but I gassed a little bit earlier than usual Ė probably because Iíve been moving away from cardio.

RickTheDestroyer
11-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Good work on those 3 boards and speed squats. I did go back and watch the squat video- as Andrew said, they were a couple inches shallow, and you might benefit from spreading your knees more if you can. The squat face is pretty hilarious. I imagine everyone's is pretty bad though.
Man I always get all sorts of conditioning-envy from you MMA bastards...

KingJustin
11-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks a bunch, Rick. MMA conditioning crap is definitely brutal.

11/16/06
Speed Bench: 155 x 3 x 8 (This felt much better than usual. Speed was good)
Bench: 245 x 1 (complete joke, really fast)
Bench Walk-Out: 315 x 1 x 2 (felt pretty heavy, but I was able to hold it right at least)
T-Bar Rows: 120 x 5 x 5
Pin Press: 185 x 5, 225 x 5 x 4 (Felt great Ö could have maybe gone 1 more set, but I was feeling ďoverloadedĒ enough at the end that I thought Iíd call it quits)
Barbell Curls: 80 x 20 (gonna start doing these once or twice a week DoggCrapp style)
Incline BB: A couple light, not high rep sets Ö shoulder felt awful
Rotator Sword Things: 10 x 15 (each side)

KingJustin
11-17-2006, 05:29 PM
11/17/06
Rack Pulls: 85 x 5
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
335 x 1
365 x 1
385 x 1
405 x 1 (+10 lb PR … form was not the greatest, but better than the last time I maxed out)
225 x 10 (trying to get form better)
Good Mornings: 95 x 6, 115 x 8 x 2
Oblique Pulley Twists: 80 x 10 x 2 (each side … felt kind of easy actually)
Decline Sit-Ups: +40 x 20
(immediate drop set)
Abdominal Machine: 100 x 20
I started doing power cleans (did a couple really light sets) then I decided to say **** it. Power cleans are dead to me.
Sled: 200 x 6, 400 x 10 x 2 (pretty light, got enough of a pump though)
Form wasn’t great on any of the deadlifts. My main problem is the same with squats. I keep picking up my hips and not leading with my head and chest.

KingJustin
11-18-2006, 05:56 PM
11/18/06
HIIT today. I got on the ~178m track.
2 warm-up laps and then stretches.
Hard run 3/4th of a lap, walk 1/4th of a lap x 5
Hard run 2/3rd of a lap, walk 1/3rd of a lap x 5
Hard run 1/2 of a lap, walk 1/2 of a lap x 3
Jog 2 laps for a cool down.
Pretty tiring workout, I was happy with how I did, though. A couple of those were maybe a little more like sprints. My top speed when I tried was feeling great. I without a doubt got a carryover from something.

Chubrock
11-18-2006, 06:07 PM
I'll help you fix the whole picking your hips up first on Monday I guess. That's usually our DE Upper but since I'll be gone Tuesday, if you won't me to help you with it, you can throw in some deads. Ace Rack Pulling though man. Seems like we both had a great lower session.

KingJustin
11-19-2006, 07:41 PM
11/19/06
Worked out the smaller body parts today Ö
Reverse Wrist Curls: 50 x 8, 45 x 8
Wrist Curls: 60 x 10, 65 x 10
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +10 lb medicine ball x about 40 (I stopped when it became clear this was worthless), +60 x 13 x 2 (on the second set I did a lot of extremely slow negatives and fast positives)
Neck ďyesísĒ: BW x 55
Neck ďhalf-noísĒ: BW x 27 (each side)
Then I jogged about 500m and called it a day.
I felt pretty ****ty all day. I had to wake up early yesterday morning and lost some sleep, and made it up by taking a long nap. That meant that when I went to bed at 4am this morning, I couldnít really fall asleep. For some reason even when I finally did fall asleep, I woke up at like 9am and then just laid there. I felt crappy and slow all day.

KingJustin
11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
11/20/06
Ugh… I don’t know whether it was the weather, my lack of sleep or my neck exercises yesterday, but today I felt pretty ****ty. I really tried to pump myself up for this session, but it didn’t work out.
Bench: 115 x 6
145 x 5
185 x 3
225 x 1 (really fast)
245 x 1 (good speed, bar was wobbling a little bit though … gotta stay tight)
275 x 1 (steady strength throughout, but not all that fast)
285 x 0 (****. Lifted it about 1.5 inches off my chest and then couldn’t quite budge it. I tried a closer grip than usual and I guess that didn’t work out)
T-Bar Rows: 125 x 5 x 3, 125 x 5 (immediate drop set), 80 x 5
Tricep Pushdowns: 195 x 10, 180 x 11 (stricter form second set)
BB Curls: 90 x 15 (pretty easy)
Then I did some deadlifts and worked on form.
I was pissed off about missing that 285 on bench. It felt just a little bit too much to push through, but I think I lacked effort and technique on it. I really think I should be able to hit that.

KingJustin
11-21-2006, 09:42 PM
*I’m going to start cutting now. I’m traveling a lot the next few days, but I’m going to try to focus on getting protein from sources without much carbs/fat, eating a lot of vegetables & fruits, and eating essential fats. Other than that, I’ll be cutting calories relatively significantly.

11/21/06
Prior to working out I drove 6 hours in heavy rain. I felt like it really took a lot out of me. It was more of a work on form day than anything else, though.
Deadlifts: I did about 10 singles and worked a bit on my form. Weight ranged from 135 to 335. I feel like my form is improving, but I think I’m using a little more lower back in the first 2 inches now. I’m going to have to take good mornings and Romanian deadlifts a little more seriously I guess.
Hack Squats: 205 x 8 x 2 (I like this exercise, gonna stick with it)
Hamstring Curls: 99 x 8 (had to do reps slow … machine was annoying me)
Front Squats: 135 x 8 x 2
DE Squats: 165 x 2 x 5, 165 x 3 x 2 (weight felt very light, speed pretty decent)
Romanian Deadlifts: 165 x 8 x 2
First day of cut. I worked out later than I really would like to and got tired pretty quickly.

Chubrock
11-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Once you get that form down, your pulling will go up tremendously. I agree with you that you need to take the GMs and RDLs more seriously haha.

KingJustin
11-26-2006, 05:00 PM
11/22/06
I had to drive for awhile again today and I was kind of out of it working out. I wanted to do “Fran” today, but I didn’t have a pull-up bar, so I had to replace it. This is a circuit, done as fast as possible.
95 lb bar ..
27 push-ups, 21 rows, 21 thrusters (9+5+4+3), 15 rows, 15 thrusters (7+6+2), 9 rows, 9 thrusters (3+3+3)
Time: 11:20
Well, that was very humbling. I was really tired when I was done. Those thrusters were tough. Push-ups definitely hurt me a little bit. I guess at least now I have something to beat.

11/23/06
I wrestled a couple rounds with my cousin today and then did a gauntlet of sit-up exercises and some sprawls. Not much other than that, and I didn’t sleep all that well and I kind of felt like ****.

11/24/06
I didn’t work out today. I seriously cut calories (probably more than I had meant to) and I walked an awful lot around D.C. today (I was there for 4 hours, and only about an hour or so was spent sitting around, so I definitely moved a bunch).

11/25/06
Speed Bench: 155 x 3 x 3
Bench: 185 x 16 (failed on 17 but I had to do the work-to-get-it deal)
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +50 x 25
Side Bends: 33 x 12 (each side … really easy)
Pin Press: 135 x 10, 185 x 4 (I was very tired from the failure on bench, and I also couldn’t use the pins that I usually do for these, so I had to go much lighter and such)
BB Curls: (About) 101 x 16

11/26/06
Felt pretty tired. Did not feel like deadlifting. I also finally got home from my
Deadlifts: 135 x 6
225 x 3
225 x 1
275 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
395 x 1 (+20 lb PR)
225 x 1 x 4
Well, I was expecting to hit at least that. I was upset that my form sucked on the heavier sets. I just don’t have the lower back strength to lift the right way yet. I’m going to try and concentrate on adding some weight to my hypers, good mornings and RDL’s…
Chins: BW x 30 total (6, 11, 6, 5, 2)
I was not pushing myself too hard, and my biceps were a little messed up from yesterday I think.
Sled: 400 x 6, 500 x 10, 500 x 6
Wow, I realized on the last set how stupid I am. I’ve been pissed off for so long that our sled only lets you do ½ a leg press, only to realize that I wasn’t releasing the weight. I should be able to keep the weight the same and still get these lifts, though. I think this and hack squats should add some muscle mass and leg strength.
Hypers: BW x 13, +40 x 13 x 2
Weight: 223
I haven’t had creatine in a couple days, but I was wearing pants, so it makes up for it. I think I lost most of my dead-weight that I get when I bulk. Now time to lose some fat.

McIrish
11-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Damn, Bench is looking REALLY solid in here, J. Keep it up!

RickTheDestroyer
11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Bench is looking really good. Congrats on the big dead PR... you gonna go for 4 PPS next week?

KingJustin
11-27-2006, 07:37 PM
McIrish: Thanks a bunch bro!

Rick: I wasn't going to, but now that you mention it I think I might! I am pretty sure I can lift 405, it's just that I feel really lame for lifting it with such god awful form.

11/27/06
Boxing workout today. Diet was good the past couple of days.
We did drills for a little while and they were really off. Not boxing for 3 weeks meant we both missed a lot of blocks.
I did five 1 minute rounds and I didnít feel too tired even after not resting too much. I was pretty tired working out yesterday, so I guess maybe my cardio is coming back a little.

KingJustin
11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
11/28/06
135 x 6
155 x 5
155 x 6 (whoops)
185 x 3
2 Boards: 195 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 3
245 x 1
270 x 1 (rack was too high for this kind of weight, and despite several annoyances it went up pretty easily)
280 x 1 (+5 lb PR)
290 x WTF miss
****. How the hell did I miss 290? It felt so light coming down and I thought Iíd smoke it. I got a couple inches off the board and then it was done.
Abdominal Pulldowns: 140 x 10 x 2
Very heavy and took some serious work.
Oblique Twists: 90 x 7
Pretty heavy..
Close Grip: 135 x 10, 165 x 9, 175 x 8
Rotator Door things: 20 x 13 x 2 (each side)
Weight: 221.5
Eh, I think if I didnít work out last Saturday I would have hit 290. It was pretty close. I noticed that regardless of how many boards (including ď0 boardsĒ) I use, I miss after lifting about 2 inches. I think this might be a form issue or somethingÖ
Iím trying to change my sleep schedule pretty significantly and itís hurting my sleep right now. I tried going to bed at 10:00 last night and I wasnít able to fall asleep really all night. Iím going to try 9:00 this time.

KevinStarke
11-28-2006, 05:51 PM
awesome 2-boards man, real strong.

KingJustin
11-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Thanks a bunch Kevin!

11/29/06
T-Bar: 45 x 5, 90 x 5, 125 x 5 x 2, 130 x 5 (fifth rep was close Ö might not have pulled it up enough)

DE Squats: 155 x 5 (not speed), 185 x 2 x 8
First few felt rough, after that I felt like I was improving.

Speed Deadlifts: 225 x 1 x 8 Öreally short rests
These felt very good. I moved kind of slow the first couple inches, mainly to work on my form, but after that they flew up and I felt like I could have hit 500 lbs if I got those 2 inches off the floor.

Hack Squats: 255 x 7 x 2
I couldnít remember how much I did last time, but I wanted to make sure not to move backwards. It turns out I added 50 lbs and now Iím at the weight that I should have been lifting in the first place. Pretty damn fatiguing exercise!

Romanian Deadlifts: 175 x 8 x 2
I always have a hard time not falling backwards on theseÖForm was OK; weight didnít feel all that heavy, I just need to focus on my form a little better.

Weight: 221 Öneed to make sure this doesnít fall too fast, but I feel like Iím eating plenty and Iím looking pretty damn cut right now.

LSAT comes this Saturday. Since I'm obsessive compulsive about doing absolutely everything I possibly can to prepare for it, I'm going back to bulking on Thursday/Friday and then resuming my cut after that. It seems like everyone at lawschooldiscusson.com is super super stressed out. I think my workouts and general don't give a **** philosophy are helping me out. I hope I don't start doing the "omg everyone else is stressed out maybe I should be too" thing the night before the test.

Chubrock
11-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Strong workouts as of late. Did you use the bands for any of the deads?

RickTheDestroyer
11-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Strong workouts man. I wouldn't worry about stalling two inches off of wherever you come down to... I'd think that the speed bench will eventually take care of that.
You'll kick some ass on the LSAT- and you've totally got the right attitude. Being stressed out and anxious never helped anybody.

KingJustin
12-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks a lot Rick & Andrew. I seriously think doing Westside and needing to perform and hit a PR twice a week carries over a little bit to this.

11/29/06
T-Bar: 45 x 5, 90 x 5, 125 x 5 x 2, 130 x 5 (fifth rep was close Ö might not have pulled it up enough)
DE Squats: 155 x 5 (not speed), 185 x 2 x 8
First few felt rough, after that I felt like I was improving.
Speed Deadlifts: 225 x 1 x 8 Öreally short rests
These felt very good. I moved kind of slow the first couple inches, mainly to work on my form, but after that they flew up and I felt like I could have hit 500 lbs if I got those 2 inches off the floor.
Hack Squats: 255 x 7 x 2
I couldnít remember how much I did last time, but I wanted to make sure not to move backwards. It turns out I added 50 lbs and now Iím at the weight that I should have been lifting in the first place. Pretty damn fatiguing exercise!
Romanian Deadlifts: 175 x 8 x 2
I always have a hard time not falling backwards on theseÖForm was OK; weight didnít feel all that heavy, I just need to focus on my form a little better.
Weight: 221 Öneed to make sure this doesnít fall too fast, but I feel like Iím eating plenty and Iím looking pretty damn cut right now.

11/30/06
BB Shrugs: 135 x 6, 185 x 7, 185 x 8 x 2
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +60 x 25, +60 x 20
Oblique Twists: 90 x 10 x 2 (each side)
Weight: 223.5
I ran about half a mile afterwards and then called it a day.
Iím ďbulkingĒ today and tomorrow and Saturday morning. Then back to cutting.

12/1/06
Speed Bench: 155 x 3 x 3 (maybe a little sloppy, but pretty quick)
Bench: 185 x 17 (probably would have failed 18)
Close Grip: 185 x 6, 200 x 5 x 2
DB Bench: 50 x 9, 50 x 12
Rotator DB Cleans: 20 x 13 x 2
Reverse Clean w/ Pulley: 25 x 13 x 2

Taking the LSAT tomorrow morning. Totally pumped!

Chubrock
12-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Nice work today man.

McIrish
12-02-2006, 02:26 AM
Kick some ass on that LSAT, J. Logic games are your biznaaaaatch!

KingJustin
12-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow... little update before my workout:

Last night, around 9:00pm I went to sleep. Roommate1 went out ... he was going over to his friend Peyton's house. Roommate2 had to work on a term paper and stayed home.

About 1:00am, I wake up, all groggy (and pissed off at the time). Some guy walked into the house and called for me/roommate2 and started saying something about the cops or something. Roommate2 talked to him for a second, he left, and after a second I was able to fall back to sleep.

Anyway, this morning, roommate2 woke up for work a bit before I went to take my test. He was kind enough to inform me that what he found out was Peyton was killed last night, and we can't find Roommate1 (who was with Peyton), despite lots of calls. Best case scenario, he figured, was he was in jail. Worst case was dead.

So, then I got the chance to take my LSAT -- an exam where it is essential to think quickly, and read/comprehend quickly. Kind of hard to do when you're wondering if your roommate is alive.

There were 5 sections.
First section, games, completely sucked it up.
Second section, logic reasoning, I struggled and the entire time I just thought about canceling my score. Apparently everyone else thought this was the easiest section.
Third section, reading comprehension, I got back on track. I aced it. Same with fourth and fifth section, and as it turns out the first section doesn't count (it's experimental). So... I think I did as well as I expected to, but had my mind been on the test, I think I would have done a lot better.

Anyway, after calling enough people, we found out that for some reason the cops walked into Peyton's house and shot him. My roommate arrived at Peyton's house shortly after and was immediately arrested. His dad came down and busted him out of jail. A couple people thought this was because the cops linked the two to an on campus robbery. But, I think during the time it happened, my roommate was at home with me. At any rate, at least he's not dead, but I'm going to be very pissed off if he really is guilty of what they suspect him for.

KingJustin
12-02-2006, 05:12 PM
McIrish, thanks a bunch for the good words. Did you go to law school by any chance?

12/2/06
High Box Squats: 45 x 6, 135 x 5 (these two were normal squats)
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 3
235 x 3
260 x 1
275 x 1
290 x 1 (+15 lbs)
This was a very easy and very fast PR. I should have loaded up some weight, but I really wanted to just get out of the gym. It was tough working out after everything else.

Sled: 400 x 10 x 2
Chins: BW x 31 total (6, 13, 8, 4)
Hypers: BW x 13, +50 x 10 x 2
Starting back on the cut today. This morning I was looking pretty ripped.

KingJustin
12-04-2006, 04:11 PM
12/3/06
Warmed up for a couple laps, stretched, then
4 minutes of HIIT: Hard Run ~200m, walk ~100m and repeat
Then I moved right to a (slow) jog. I jogged for 24 additional minutes.
Total distance, between warming up, HIIT, and jogging was between 3.5 to 4 minutes Iíd guess.

12/4/06
Bench: 135 x 6, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
Close Grip: 195 x 5, 215 x 3, 225 x 1, 235 x 1, 250 x 0 x 2
Ugh. First 250 I should have hit. It was moving quick and then just got off track.
Abdominal Pulldowns: 150 x 10, 150 x 7 Öheavy!
Oblique Twists: 100 x 7 x 2 Ö heavy again. Not perfect form
DB Bench: 70 x 10 x 2
Tricep Pushdowns: 165 x 10 x 2 Önot too hard
DB Door Handle Rotators: 25 x 10 x 2

I'm upset about today's workout. I've been getting swarmed with reporters (who I think are finally leaving me alone now) and all that crap. The story is all over the news.
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1111685200

For the record, I don't believe that my roommate, Ryan Mills, is guilty. I think they got the wrong guy. But, it's been a rough couple of days for him. I feel like he would have told me about it, or I would have seen some kind of evidence or something. I've also talked to him and I think they got the wrong guy.

Chubrock
12-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Man I hope that **** with your roommate works out right. Pretty good work today bro. You had 250.

KingJustin
12-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks Andrew

12/5/06
Speed Squats: 195 x 2 x 5
Squats: 195 x 5
Speed Deadlifts: 205 + mini bands (90 lbs at top) x 1 x 7, 185 x 1
Form is improving a bit I believe. Speed felt pretty decent. I used the 35 lb plates instead of the 45ís to extend the ROM
T-Bar Rows: 130 x 5, 125 x 5 x 2
Hack Squats: 260 x 7 x 2
Romanian Deadlifts: 190 x 7 x 2
Workout was decent, but I felt like crap today. Thereís a lot going on in general right now, and Iím feeling like Iím headed towards getting sick. Iím really congested and everything.

KingJustin
12-06-2006, 07:29 PM
12/6/06
First time going to practice in awhile. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with the gi. It wasnít quite as exhausting as it has been in the past, but still a great workout. We did some warm-ups, then mobility drills, then moved onto some jiu-jitsu drills that really worked the legs and hips. After that we did eight 2 minute rounds of just passes (i.e. start in closed guard, one person tries to pass, the other person tries to sweep Ö or half guard, or butterfly guard, etc). I gassed out a bit quicker than usual, and I definitely did not do as well as I usually do.

KingJustin
12-07-2006, 07:39 PM
12/7/06
Well, I didnít realize it but we had ďbelt testsĒ today in practice. I didnít even know we actually cared about belts. At any rate, I came in without a cup on and was scared ****less the entire time. We did lots of ďok im going to say a move and you do itĒ type stuff. I had some trouble remember what a few of the moves were called (ie I use the Americana a lot, but I didnít know it was called that), and I also gassed a little bit, making it tough to get my technique perfect. This class was a lot more demanding than I had expected, and these belt tests apparently are no joke. I felt like I was doing a little better in the stand-up than in the jiu-jitsu, and I think sparring a lot was to thank.

We did a lot of full-contact fighting for this. Some of the time we were told to go 50%. This was really hard for me. I can go 20%, 85%, or 100%. 50% is really tough. Still, it was a little unfair for the people with similar experience to me to go up against me, because I was about 45 lbs heavier and a whole lot stronger and more powerful. I really cleaned house sparring, granted I did take a couple shots. We also did a bunch of ground and pound and all out jiu-jitsu. The ground and pound was really fun because I didnít get hit. I would just do the hug thing, hold super tight and the other guy had no way to get in a shot. Eventually heíd over-extend himself and Iíd take his back.

The jiu-jitsu sparring was OK; I gassed a bit and didnít get any submissions, but my positioning was pretty good. I still need to improve my submissions/sweeps when I pull guard. I feel like I would have done a lot better had I been to practice more often.

At any rate, the deal was that you can move up two belts max. I didnít ďearnĒ a white belt yet, so I started at nothing. I really didn't expect it because, other than on the sparring, I wasn't really impressed with my performance. Nevertheless, I got my two belts and now Iím a ďyellow belt.Ē

KingJustin
12-08-2006, 07:12 PM
12/8/06
Speed Bench: 155 x 3 x 3, 135 x 5 x 2, 185 x 3 (I didnít do the rep stuff because I feel like it exhausted me on my ME session)
Bench: 225 x 5
Pull-Ups: BW x 32 (7, 13, 7, 5)
Close Grip: 185 x 5, 205 x 5 x 2
Rotator Cleans: 30 x 10 x 2
Reverse Pulley Rotator Cleans: 40 x 13 x 2
Weight: 218.5
Finished up by running on the track. 9 laps = 1 mile
Walked 1 lap, jogged 1 lap, hard run (~5:50 pace) 2 laps, jogged 1 lap (5 laps total)
I feel like my metabolism is moving really slow and Iím missing a lot of energy. I hardly have a desire to eat more than I am, and I am not losing weight. SoÖ Iím going to start doing a really mini HIIT/Calisthenics session in the morning before breakfast/shower. It wonít be hard enough to be catabolic.

KingJustin
12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
12/9/06
Squats: 45 x 6, 135 x 6 x 2, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
Low Box Squats: 195 x 5
215 x 3
225 x 1
245 x 1
270 x 1 (PR)
Sled: 380 x 6, 430 x 8 x 2 (good form, nice and deep)
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +80 x 13, +80 x 10
Hypers: BW x 13, +60 x 13 x 2
I finished up by running on the track. 9 laps = 1 mile
Walked 1 lap, jogged 1 lap, hard run (5:45 mile pace) 2.125 laps, jogged 1.5 laps, walked the rest of the laps Ö thatís 6 laps total
I did my calisthenics in the morning today. But, I did it before breakfast as planned and I thnk Iím going to change that for next time.

KingJustin
12-10-2006, 06:55 PM
12/10/06
Got on the track. 9 laps = 1 mile.
Jogged 2 laps, stretched, did some calisthenics and accelerates for a lap, and then did my HIIT. HIIT included a hard run for Ĺ lap, then walking ľ lap and repeating for 4:25. After that, I walked for a half lap or so, and then jogged for 25 minutes, 22 seconds. 9 minute mile pace until the last 5:22, which was about a 7:50 pace.

McIrish
12-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Freaking awesome squats, J. Keep up the solid work.

Oh, I didn't do law school by the way. I pulled an audible at the last minute and decided it wasn't for me... I say cancel the score, though. You can always take the test again without that stuff weighing on your mind, you know?

KingJustin
12-11-2006, 10:11 PM
McIrish: Yeah, it's been tough deciding whether or not to cancel the score. I decided not to, for a couple reasons. First, (most) law schools changed their policy and just take the highest score. Second, I don't want to need to worry about it again, and third, I think I did OK. But, who knows ... I'll find out somewhere between Dec 22 and Jan 2 I believe. If it's below 165 I'm retaking and waiting a year, which just means I have more free time to get serious about MMA and powerlifting.

12/11/06
Bench: 45 x 6, 135 x 6, 155 x 5, 185 x 5
Close Grip: 195 x 5
205 x 3
215 x 3
225 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
Machine Rows: 130 x 5 x 3 (I could probably pull these up a little bit higher though, Iím not sure if Iím really locking them out)
DB Bench: 75 x 9 x 2
Tricep Pushdowns: 180 x 8 x 2
DB Shrugs: 80 x 10
Rotator Door Swingers: 25 x 13 x 2
Eh, nothing special, but Iím on the last week of a pretty long cut, so Iíll accept it.

Been busy with exams, too. I'll be very happy when I'm done with everything (Thursday!)

KingJustin
12-12-2006, 07:30 PM
12/12/06
Oblique Pulley Twists: 90 x 12, 100 x 7
Speed Squats: 205 x 2 x 5
Squats: 205 x 5
Speed Deadlifts: 205 x 2, 235 x 2 x 7
Hack Squats: 265 x 7 x 2
Abdominal Pulldowns: 150 x 10
Romanian Deadlifts: 190 x 9, 190 x 8
Then I got on the track. 9 laps = 1 mile
Walked 1, jogged 1, hard run 2.375 (felt really good here actually, might have been able to keep going for a bit), jogged a bit. Total of 7 laps.

More life crap: Ok, so I figure I have everything together to send in to law schools. Got my letters of recommendation, pretty much done with my applications, resume is complete, and personal statement is well on its way. I figure everything will be in by the time my LSAT score gets processed on December 22nd. This isn't ideal -- I'd have liked to apply in November, and I'd have a better shot at scholarships and getting into the better schools, but late December and I figure I have a good chance at getting into at least some of the schools I'd like to go to. The longer you wait, however, the more ****ed you are. This is well documented. Late and you're super ****ed. I figure it takes about 2 weeks to process everything once it's all in to the law school database, so as long as I got in everything this week I thought I'd be OK.

Well, all I have to get in was my transcript at this point. So, last Friday morning I went by the Office of the Registrar to get one. Surprise! UNCW's policy does not permit you to print official transcripts at any time around exams. No other school in North Carolina does this to my knowledge. I can't get one printer until January 2nd. Then another couple days in the mail, the couple weeks for it to be processed, and I'm applying late January.

So, I'm just thinking this is unacceptable. So I eventually get a hold of the supervisor. I explain how I'm hoping to get a scholarship or getting into a top law school, etc. She goes ahead and informs me that "they don't even give scholarships to grad schools." I re-explain how I am extremely confident that you can land scholarships for grad school. She throws out the bitchy "yeah, well you can think that." Bitch are you kidding me? At that point I'm pissed off. I explain why I need a transcript, how we're one of the only schools that doesn't do this, and how we got no e-mail warning to my knowledge. Then, she goes and tells me that she worked at UNC for 20 years, and they have the same policy, and that even if I got a transcript now, the law school admissions' council (LSAC) would refuse to process it.

So, I fact check behind her. I call UNC, say I'm a student that's currently enrolled, and want to get a current, official transcript, even if it doesn't have all my grades for this semester. I get an "of course, no problem." Then I call LSAC, who informs me that my registrar is completely off base.

In conclusion **** YOU uncw office of the registrar. That bitch better hope I don't see her in person.

Ok done ranting. I never care about **** in my life usually and just have fun. But ****, the past 2 weeks I've had everything changed. My LSAT would have been a bit better if my roommate wasn't possibly shot. I lost my internship and can't list it, and now I have to apply late. Ok, no more life **** in here, just lifting.

Beast
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
There is only room for one king here... you and KingWilder must fight to the death.

RickTheDestroyer
12-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Damn dude... that's so some serious **** about the roommate- I hadn't heard about any of that... and sucks about the applications and stuff... damn dude.
At least you hit that 250 CG, right?

KingJustin
12-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Beast - I suggest a walk-off.

Rick - Thanks for the support bro. It's been kind of crazy, but with some success today, I am back to not giving a **** about anything.

Today I called the office of the registrar no less than 15 times. Each time they tried to throw some lame ass excuse about how they wouldn't print my transcript, and each time the lame ass excuse was rejected. They finally were tired of my harassing them, and let me speak with the Registrar himself. Mr. Registrar curled up in a ball, admitted defeat, and promised that I would have my transcript sent out before 4:00 today.

I now plan to go to the office with a boom box and play "Sweetest Victory." Registrar: 0, Justin: 1!

KingJustin
12-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Well, today was pretty much an off day, but I went up to do some jiu-jitsu with Andrew. He pretty much just showed off the whole time and dominated. I sort of messed up my neck at the end, but after some icy hot and a shower it's in good shape.

Chubrock
12-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Damn man, I hope I didn't **** up your neck. I wasn't showing off, just trying to survive.

KingJustin
12-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Nah, my neck is fine. I guess it just got a little strain or something. I was really impressed by all the little things that you did to make everything 10x harder on me. Nice work, man.

12/14/06
Bench: 185 x 17 (spotter assisted 18 for post-failure crap)
BB Rows: 135 x 6, 185 x 5 x 3 (pretty hard)
Close Grip Bench: 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 215 x 5 (surprisingly not very difficult)
Curls: 106 x 12
This is the last day of my cut! Iím finally done with all my exams, and now Iím back at home in Greensboro, so the scales/a couple exercises might change.

I am really happy to be done with exams. I have to write my personal statement (hopefully tomorrow), then send in my apps that are already done, and then I get almost a month off, with absolutely nothing to do except work out and have fun. Helllll yeah!

KevinStarke
12-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Great pressing Justin. Nice high repper on bench too.

McIrish
12-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Today I called the office of the registrar no less than 15 times. Each time they tried to throw some lame ass excuse about how they wouldn't print my transcript, and each time the lame ass excuse was rejected. They finally were tired of my harassing them, and let me speak with the Registrar himself. Mr. Registrar curled up in a ball, admitted defeat, and promised that I would have my transcript sent out before 4:00 today.

I now plan to go to the office with a boom box and play "Sweetest Victory." Registrar: 0, Justin: 1!

Hell yeah you did - way to keep after them, KJ. You'll make a good lawyer :) What the f is that garbage about top schools not giving scholarships, either? The unfortunate truth is that oftentimes, people in those positions have no clue what they're talking about... so I can't get scholarships to any top schools, eh? mmmkaythanks.

Where's your top choice? Let us know where you end up at, bro.

Oh yeah, this is a weighlifting forum - haha... awesome work on the high rep bench. I'd probably give a kidney to hoist up 180+ 17 times.

KingJustin
12-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Kevin: Thanks man. And needless to say, you are a beast.
McIrish: Top pick right now is probably UNC, but not by a whole lot. I'd be pretty happy to go to Texas, Vanderbilt, Virginia or Carolina. There's a lot of cool places that I'm applying to, though.

12/15/06
Circuits Ö
30 push-ups, 30 incline sit-ups, 20 dives, 45 Russian twists, 30 seconds of boxing, 30 seconds of flutter kicks
1 minute rest
25 push-ups, 25 incline sit-ups, 15 dives, 30 Russian twists, 25 seconds of boxing, 25 seconds of flutter kicks
1 minute rest
20 push-ups, 20 incline sit-ups, 10 dives, 25 Russian twists, 20 seconds of boxing, 20 seconds of flutter kicks
1 minute rest
15 push-ups, 15 incline sit-ups, 5 dives, 20 Russian twists, 15 seconds of boxing, 20 seconds of flutter kicks
And done. That wasnít all that bad. I was more tired muscularly than out-of-breathe-tired.

This was the first day of my bulk. In the morning I weighed in at 212 lbs at my scale at home.

12/16/06
Rack Pulls From Below Knees: 45 x 6
135 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 1
365 x 1
405 x 1
415 x 1 (+10 lb PR Ö tough lift!)
Sled: 45 x 7, 360 x 8, 410 x 8, 410 x 10
Hypers: BW x 7, +60 x 15
I had to get done in under 30 minutes. That meant hardly any rest between sets or anything.
Morning Weight: 217

12/17/06
Shrugs: 185 x 10 x 4
I did some jump rope and then some ďshuttle runsĒ after that just to get my heart rate up.

12/18/06
135 x 6
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 5
225 x 3
235 x 3
245 x 3
265 x 1 + 2 with help sort of Ö
I gave the spotter directions on the last set: ďPlease, do not help unless I ask for it.Ē On my second rep, I started flaring my elbows towards the top, not asking for help, and he decided this would be a good time to take over. On the third rep I just decided I did not want any help, so I lifted really explosively, but he decided to help again. Soo.. Iím not sure if I would have gotten 3 reps or not.
Wide Grip chins: BW x 9, 8, 7, 3
DB Bench: 80 x 7, 80 x 6 Ö umm, I had to use a bench that had a barbell on it, and I kept hitting the damn thing.
Curls: Iím not positive of the weight on this. I think the bar was 30 lbs, but Iím not sure. Assuming it was 30 Ö 120 x 6, 100 x 7 (second set done with slow negatives, explosive positives)
Tricep Pushdowns: ď100Ē x 8, ď90Ē x 9 Ö I think this is equal to about 200 and 180 on the machine I normally use
Rotator Door ****: 30 x 13

12/19/06
Speed (Low Box) Squats: 175 x 2 x 5
Low Box Squats: 175 x 5, 245 x 1
Speed Deadlifts: 135 x 1, 205 x 1, 255 x 1 x 7 (the weight no longer feels super light)
Hack Squats: 205 x 3, 265 x 7 x 3
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +70 x 13 x 2 (pretty easy Ö the decline isnít as steep as Iíd like it to be)
Romanian Deadlifts: 185 x 10 x 2
And I called it a day after that. I was pretty exhausted.

12/20/06
BB Shrugs: 195 x 10 x 3
DB Reverse Wrist Curls: 20 x 10, 20 x 8, 20 x 7
BB Wrist Curls: 50 x 10 x 3
Obliques on Machine: ď30Ē x 10 (each side)
Russian Twists: +25 x 15
Then I was going to do some treadmill sprints, until I realized that I hate the treadmill and I just stopped. I ended up running about 1/3 of a mile.

KingJustin
12-22-2006, 12:08 AM
12/21/06
Bench: 185 x 19
BB Rows: 190 x 5 x 4 (maybe getting a slight movement in my back)
Close Grip: 185 x 5, 220 x 4, 220 x 5, 220 x 4
BB Curls: 106 x 9+1+negative Ö took about 30 seconds rest between drop sets. Focused on slow negatives and fast positives

Also, good news for Chubrock I guess. I did a little worse than I expected on my LSAT, and after considering doing this regardless, I'm going to just retake it and go to UNCW for another year or so. This gives me time to get a lot more serious about powerlifting and enjoy my senior year and such.

KevinStarke
12-22-2006, 12:50 AM
Workouts are looking great, congrats on the rack pull PR.

Chubrock
12-22-2006, 07:04 AM
AHHHHHHH HELL!!! You'll be back. We gotta get that PLing Team started now.

KingJustin
12-22-2006, 07:49 PM
12/22/06
CircuitsÖ
30 push-ups, 30 incline sit-ups, 30 jumping jacks, 30 dives, 45 Russian twists, 30 1-2ís (boxing, so 60 punches total), 30 seconds of flutter kicks
1 minute rest
25 push-ups, 25 incline sit-ups, 25 jumping jacks, 15 dives, 30 Russian twists, 25 1-2ís, 25 seconds of flutter kicks
1 minute rest
20 push-ups, 20 incline sit-ups, 20 jumping jacks, 10 dives, 25 Russian twists, 20 1-2ís, 20 seconds of flutter kicks
1 minute rest
15 push-ups, 15 incline sit-ups, 15 jumping jacks, 5 dives, 20 Russian twists, 15 1-2ís, 20 seconds of flutter kicks
Muscles were completely exhausted, and I was pretty out-of-breath at the end.

KingJustin
12-25-2006, 10:50 PM
12/23/06
Shrugs: 195 x 10 x 2
Then did some jump rope and a little boxing.

12/24/06
I did a couple super-sets of 6 (very light) deadlifts and 6 (very light) squats, and then jumped some rope for awhile. Then I did some HIIT for about 7 minutes. First 3 minutes was hard run for 15 seconds, walk 15 seconds. Last 4 minutes was hard run 9 seconds, walk 16 seconds.

12/25/06
Bench: 95 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6
185 x 6
215 x 5
235 x 5
247 x 3
258 x 3 (tough set)
270 x 1
285 x miss (very close. Got to a few inches off my chest, then I think I flared my elbows maybe a little early. Spotter gently assisted for an inch and then I got it from there)
I was trying to just do a bunch of heavy sets. I think I could have hit 285 if I just wanted to max out. Next week I feel very confident that I will hit 285 and possibly 290-295.

Decline Sit-ups: BW x 20 (done really fast), +50 x 26, +50 x 26 (on the last set I did a bunch of fast positives and slow negatives)

Side Bends: 50 x 10

DB Bench: 45 x 12, 55 x 20 (I couldnít add any more weight)

Rotator DB Hang Cleans: 35 x 7 x 2

Then I did a couple sets of pushdowns and reverse DB hang cleans with my bands.

The YMCA was closed, so I had to workout at home, which meant I was missing a little equipment.

KingJustin
12-27-2006, 11:19 PM
12/26/06
Deadlifts: Started double overhand
225 x 5 x 3
245 x 5
275 x 3
315 x 2
335 x 1
Switched to mixed grip
365 x 1
385 x 1
405 x 1 (+10 lb PR)
315 x 3
Eh, I didnít feel great, and maybe the effort could have been slightly better, but 405 was fully locked out. I was, however, a bit upset with my form. It wasnít too bad until the last set, but on that set it was really horrible.

Wide Grip Pull-ups: BW x 6, 8, 8, 6, 7 (35 total)
Sled: 450 x 9, 450 x 10 x 2
BB Curls: 105 x 14 + 2 (30 second rest in between Ö slow negatives, fast positives)

12/27/06
First drink since Halloween. I had about 4-5 and watched the Bobcatís basketball game.

KingJustin
12-28-2006, 07:22 PM
12/28/06
Shrugs: 205 x 10 x 3
Static Holds: 275 x 15 seconds x 2
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 13, +80 x 13 x 2 (not too heavy Ö this decline isnít very sharp)
BB Wrist Curls: 30 x 10, 60 x 10 x 2
BB Reverse Wrist Curls: 30 x 10, 40 x 10 x 2
Oblique Crunches: ď70Ē x 12 x 2 (on machine)
Then I ran for a bit. Warm up jog/walk for 1 minute, then ran for 3:15 at a 6:27 mile pace and cooled down for another minute. Pretty tiring, but I could probably have kept going for a little longer.

KingJustin
12-29-2006, 05:13 PM
12/29/06
DE Bench: 155 x 3 x 8
BB Rows: 195 x 5 x 5 (pretty decent form)
Close Grip Bench: 135 x 5, 195 x 5, 220 x 5, 220 x 7 (on this set, the spotter decided to assist on every repÖ)
Seated Hammer Curls: 40 x 14 + 3 (failure on both Ö 30 second rest)
DB Rotator Door Things: 35 x 10 (each side)

KingJustin
12-31-2006, 03:17 PM
12/30/06
DE Squats: 190 x 2 x 8
Hack Squats: 275 x 10 x 2
Romanian Deadlifts: 195 x 10, 195 x 8
My grip got a pretty good workout from all this.

12/31/06
Just a little cardio today.
Walked for a bit, then ran a mile and walked just a little more.

KingJustin
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
1/2/06
Didnít feel too pumped up todayÖ
135 x 6
185 x 5
225 x 3
250 x 1
260 x 1 (paused a couple inches off my chest)
285 x 1 (+10 lb PR)
245 x 4 (no spotter Ö might have been able to do 1 more)
Eh, Iíll take the PR, but I didnít feel great. My chest felt really weak when benching and suchÖ
Wide Grip Chins: BW x 6, 9, 7, 7, 6, 5 (40 total)
DB Bench: 75 x 11, 75 x 9 (chest felt really weak still)
Tricep Pushdowns: ď100Ē x 5, ď90Ē x 7
Seated Abdominal Pulldowns: ď190Ē x 13 (facing weights), ď190Ē x 8 (facing away from weights)
Side Bends on Pulley: ď100Ē x 13 (each side)
Rotator Hang Cleans: 35 x 10

I think New Year's kind of threw me off for awhile ..

KingJustin
01-03-2007, 07:01 PM
1/3/07
135 x 6
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
215 x 3
225 x 3
235 x 3
250 x 3
260 x 3
Sled: 380 x 5, 470 x 10 x 3
DB Shrugs: 100 x 10 x 2
Hypers: BW x 6, +70 x 13 x 2
Iím adding another meal/day

KingJustin
01-04-2007, 08:51 PM
1/4/07
Felt pretty lazy todayÖ
Static Holds: 300 lbs for 3 sets .. about 10-15 seconds per hold
Decline Sit-ups: BW x 20, 65 x 20 x 2 Ö pretty steep decline
Obliques: Grabbed a 22 lb weight Ö 7 side/twisting crunches on both sides, then 8 Russian Twists for the super set
Then did a little neck work.

KingJustin
01-06-2007, 07:15 PM
1/6/07
Shrugs: 205 x 10 x 3
Full Decline Sit-Ups: BW x 13, +76 x 15 x 2
Obliques: +25 x 8 (side twists, each side), +25 x 8 (Russian Twists) Ö this was supersetted

Chubrock
01-06-2007, 09:40 PM
We gotta keep working out together man. Don't do this pussy ass BBing ****. That ain't gonna work at all.

KingJustin
01-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Day 1: Chest/Back
5x5 Chin-Ups
4x10 Incline DB
3x8 Machine T-Bar Rows
3x8 Crossovers
2x10-12 Rear Delt Raises

Day 2: Legs/Abs
5x5 Deadlifts
3x8 Squats
2x7-10 Leg Sled
2x10-15 Hypers
2x13-20 Abs

Day 3: MMA junk or HIIT

Day 4: Arms/Shoulders
DB Hammer Curls (DC Method, 3 rest-pauses)
3x7-10 DB Decline Tricep Extension
2x7-10 BB Reverse Curls
3x8-10 Tricep Pushdowns
3x10 Shrugs
2x8-12 Wrist Curls/Reverse Wrist Curls

Day 5: MMA Junk or HIIT; Optional Abs

Repeat

KingJustin
01-07-2007, 05:24 PM
11/7/07
Cardio Ö
Warmed up for a couple minutes, then
3:00 run (6 minute mile pace/10mph)
1:30 walk
1:30 run (6mmp)
Walk
1:00 run (6mmp)
Walk
30 second run (6mmp)
Long Cool down Ö jogged a bit too
I think I ran a little over 2 miles or so. I think from start to finish it took about 20 minutes.

Yesterday was the last day of my bulk. Today is the first day of my 2 week cut.

KingJustin
01-09-2007, 01:17 PM
1/9/2007
Deadlifts: 295 x 5 x 4 (double overhand grip Ö. this was really tough on my grip)

Squats: 185 x 8 x 2 (used the low box just to keep track of depth, didnít really sit on it, though)

SEATED CALF RAISES: 90 x 8 x 2
These were ****ing hard. Someone left the 45ís on and I didnít feel like taking them off. I think thatís the weight that people leave on and think, ďIím not going to take that off because my grandmother could lift that.Ē Unfortunately, I donít even know if I got a full ROM on these.

Sled: 400 x 8 x 2
This was really easy. I guess the sled back in Greensboro is at a little different angle.

Abdominal Machine: ď150Ē x 30, ď150Ē x 13

Weight: 215 ÖFirst official weigh-in in awhileÖ. And damn, a lot lighter than I thought. I hate not having access to a scale. I didnít up the calories nearly enough on my bulk.

I got a chance to hang out with Andrew and his friends last night, and they offered free alcohol, which was totally unfair to my workout today. I ended up going out for awhile afterwards and didn't get to sleep until pretty late, only for Andrew to call me at some ungodly hour and make me work out with him. Good times.

He also got to witness me doing my first calf raise ... ever? After posting my pics, I was convinced that I should try and do these. I have never trained my calves, and they are very small. I am completely unconvinced that squats/deadlifts build your biceps/calves/whatever through extra release of Growth Hormones. I wonder if it'll be really easy for my calves to catch up, though. We shall see.

KingJustin
01-10-2007, 10:57 PM
11/10/2007

Me and Andrew boxed for awhile today. We did a couple basic drills and then just beat the crap out of each other for awhile. My timing was pretty off and my blocking was pathetic. It was clear enough that I hadn't done this in awhile. Fun times either way.

Also, my roommate said he was going to start lifting weights again for the first time in like 2 years. He's going at 9am so I'm not going to be able to go with him tomorrow, but I really want to record his progress and lifting regime. He hasn't asked me much about it or anything, so I think his routine might include over 6 different exercises for biceps, tricep kickbacks, lots of bench press, and crunches. It would be pretty sweet if I could workout with him enough to make a journal.

KingJustin
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
1/11/07
BB Curls: 110 x 8 (failed on 9), 110 x 4
Iím not positive of the weight here. I had 90 lbs in weights on the bar, which I am guessing is 20 lbs.
Decline DB Skull Crushers: 30 x 9 x 4
Reverse Curls: 75 x 10, 75 x 8
Shrugs: 205 x 10, 205 x 7
I finished with some rotator/shoulder active recovery.

I got some food and then played some flag football for a bit. It made me pretty hungry.

Brett' Workout - 1/11/07
"I did some cardio for about 15 minutes then some weights for about 15 minutes."

I'll keep you guys updated.

KingJustin
01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
1/12/07
Just some cardio today Ö small track, 9 laps = 1 mile
Warmed up 2 laps (felt pretty good, too Ö I was warming up at an easy 6:35 pace)
Dynamic stretches real quick, then sprint/walk ..
Finished 1 mile in 7:54 Ö I did a hard run for about .33 laps, then walked about .17 the whole way through. I didnít feel too bad when I finished, so I guess Iíll pick it up a little next time.
Then I cooled down. Walked 2 laps, jogged 2 laps, stretched my hamstrings, and I was off.

Brett's Workout - 1/12/2007
Eh, Brett was too busy and hung over.

KingJustin
01-13-2007, 07:14 PM
1/13/07
1:15pm Ė Practiced some jiu-jitsu for about an hour. Pretty intense and exhausting. We did a few rounds starting from guard and then practiced moves for a little while. Then we went for about 3 or 4 rounds starting from knees. I definitely got tired too fast and need to really work on my jiu-jitsu.
8:00pm Ė Chest/Back Ö had to finish in about 20 minutes because the gym closed earlier than I thought.
Chins: BW x 5, +10 x 5 x 3
Crossovers: 60 x 10 x 2
Machine Rows: 115 x 7 x 2 (tough)
DB Incline: 50 x 10 x 2
DB Rear Delt Raises: 15 x 10 x 2
Very light weight on everything, even rows, granted it was harder than I expected. Iíll be picking up the intensity next workout Ö

I feel really ****ty today, though. That morning workout was really tough. Iím not used to it being hot, getting choked a lot, and exerting 100% effort for that long. Gotta get back into shape I guess.

Brett didn't get a chance to workout. Thing are not looking good.

KingJustin
01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
1/15/07
Morning: Slightly less intense BJJ ****. We just went full rounds from standing up until someone tapped, and the whole time we went pretty close to all out, but we had 3 people, so one person sat out while the other two fought, which meant I got plenty of time to recover. Even still, for the first time in awhile, I could definitely feel my lungs and stuff already a bit tired from the day before.
I planned on doing my leg workout tonight, but I was really just too beat up and tired and I decided it would be a mistake at the last minute. I ate in excess because I thought Iíd burn it all off with 2 workouts, but such was not the case. I got a little carried away with drinking at night, too, so weíll call this a reefed day.

I think I'm done updating Brett's journal unless something changes. It does not look like he'll be fulfilling his New Year's Resolutions.

KingJustin
01-15-2007, 04:04 PM
1/16/07
Things I felt like doing this morning: Sleeping, bitching
Things I did not feel like doing: Working out

Legs/Abs:
Calf Raises: 90 x 8 x 2
Abdominal Pulldowns: 130 x 13, 140 x 13
Deadlifts: 305 x 5 x 3 (double overhand, except for a mixed grip the last rep on the third set Ö very tough)
Squats: 190 x 8 .. then some bodyweight stuff, my joints were hurting a little
Sled: 450 x 8 x 2 Ö easy
Hypers: +60 x 13 x 2
Pretty tough workout. Nothing was all that heavy, but it was hard and I felt like ****.

KevinStarke
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Strong leg and core work man.

KingJustin
01-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Kevin: Thanks bro, but your lifts are far more beast.

1/17/07
DB Skull Crushers: 35 x 8 x 4
Curls: 110 x 9+1+negative (fast positives, slow negatives)
BB Shrugs: 205 x 10, 205 x 8
Reverse Curls: 80 x 8 x 2
Obliques: 2 sets of Decline oblique twists, Russian twists, 7 reps of each with 25 lbs

KingJustin
01-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Iím making a pretty radical change with my diet. This is all stolen from Galileo, who seems to have had some really good success with it. I like the idea behind the diet a lot and I am pretty optimistic.

Non-lifting days Ė PSMF
I eat about 325g of protein, minimal fats, and minimal carbs (I aim for fewer than 20g and 30g, respectively). 8g of the fats come from fish oil, and about 7g of carbs come from Spinach and Broccoli.
Lifting days Ė PSMF (morning), Refeed (Evening)
I stay on the same pace as the day before up until my pre-workout meal. For my pre-workout meal, I eat high-fiber cereal, then workout with carbs/protein in my workout shake, and then start my reefed for the rest of the day. During that time, I try to eat as much relatively clean (not too many bad carbs/bad fats) food as I possibly can. I shoot for the calories coming from 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat.

1/17/07
PSMF. Boxing tonight. Energy wasnít too bad, even though Iím starving all day long. I donít have any appetite suppression pills right now. We boxed for about 50 minutes Ö
Did drills for the majority of the time, and felt a little better than the last couple of times. Then I went 2 rounds for 2 minutes each. First round was pretty light, second round was pretty heavy.

Hereís what I ate today. Meals are in order with about 2 hours in between them.
Whey, Nitrean, Centrum Multivitamin
1.5 servings chicken, 1.5 servings Nitrean with Fish Oil
1 serving Sliced Turkey
Whey & Spinach
.5 serving Whey
**Workout
Whey & Nitrean
.5 serving Broccoli, 500mg Vitamin C, 400IU Vitamin E
.5 serving Honey-Baked Ham
1 serving Turkey, Casein with Fish Oil, .5 serving Broccoli

The casein and the whey have MicroLactin in them. I'm not sure how much or how effective they will be in doing anything, though.

KevinStarke
01-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Its because I sold my soul to the devil. Workout looks good and your diet is looking real solid man, you have some real willpower.

KingJustin
01-18-2007, 11:00 PM
1/18/07
Crossovers: 70 x 10 x 3 (height was set on ď4Ē)
Chins: BW x 5, +20 x 5 x 4
Incline DB: 65 x 10, 65 x 8, 65 x 7
Row Machine: 115 x 8 x 2, 115 x 7
Then I did the wrist roller thing. 2 ďrepsĒ reverse curl grip (overhand), 1 ďrepĒ normal curl grip (underhand) with 7.5 lbs. Rested and then 1 rep each grip.

The rows were really tough again. Iím not sure why, as Iíve dropped about 10 lbs from my last weight. Iím hoping my muscles adapt to it pretty well by next week so that I can start adding weight/reps.
My right shoulder has continued to bother me on crossovers and DB incline. Iíve decided to work through it, but the weight is slightly lighter than it should be.

Diet today:
Woke up at noon Ö
12:01pm: Nitrean, Whey, Centrum Multivitamin
Nitrean with 4g liquid Fish Oil
1 serving Turkey
5:10pm: Complete Cereal (with Milk), Whey (With Milk)
**Workout** (forgot my workout drink)
Whey (with Milk), Glutamine & Creatine, V8 Fusion
Cottage Cheese, V8 Vegetable Juice
12Ē Chicken & Bacon Sub with Cheese, Lettuce & Tomatoes
Tortellini with Prego Sauce
.5 Nitrean (with Milk) & Mixed Nuts
3 Eggs
Peas
1:00am Casein (with Milk), Olive Oil and 1 Banana
And I drank about 6 additional glasses of milk.

Before Preworkout Meal:
~3g carbs, ~100g Protein, ~7g fat
Total Calories: ~475

Preworkout to Sleep:
~380g carbs, 250g protein, 73g fat
Total Calories: ~3165 (48%/31%/21%)

KingJustin
01-20-2007, 10:04 AM
1/20/07
Workout: BJJ
Did some BJJ today for about an hour. Started off just working on drilling arm bars/triangles from guard for a few minutes, then we went full rounds from the knees until someone tapped out. We stopped a few times to work on specific moves and escapes and stuff, but other than that we just kept rolling. I didnít get tired or really gas like I usually do, and we didnít have a third person so we were doing something almost the whole time. At the end we worked a little bit on the Muay Tai clinch.

Iíd say Iím back at the top of my game BJJ-wise right now. I just felt really good moving from position to position, knowing how to escape/get a submission, etc, etc. Great practice.

Diet: PSMF day Ö ~325g protein, 30g carbs, 25g fat
Woke up at 9:15: Nitrean, Whey
Nitrean, 4g liquid Fish Oil, Centrum MultiVitamin
Turkey
Sliced Turkey
Spinach, Whey
**Workout**
Whey, Nitrean, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, .5 servings Broccoli
Sliced Ham
Nitrean
2:40am: Chicken, Casein

I didnít feel too bad today. Although I was moderately hungry, it was definitely very bearable, especially since I know I can eat whatever the hell I want tomorrow.

KingJustin
01-21-2007, 11:37 AM
1/21/07
Workout: Legs/Abs
Calf Raises: 90 x 8 x 2 (better form than last time, still needs just a bit of work)
Abdominal Pulldowns: 150 x 10 x 2 (these took a lot of effort)

Deadlifts: 305 x 5 x 4
First set was all overhand. Second set I got 2 reps in overhand, then switched. Third set one rep, fourth set was all mixed grip. Not having chalk was tough, and I think using my grip while rolling a lot yesterday combined with the forearm/wrist work on Thursday made these tougher on my grip.

Squats: 195 x 8 x 2 (tough Ö and these really took the wind out of me, very tiring)
Sled: 470 x 8 x 2 (pretty easy, good form)
Hypers: +70 x 10 x 2 (pretty easy as well)
Weight: 214 (Under usual conditions Iíd guess Iíd be ~221, but this is after eating very little for 1.5 days)

Diet:
Woke up at 11:45am: Whey, Nitrean
Turkey, Centrum
Nitrean, 4g Fish Oil, Spinach
Whey (with Milk), Compete Cereal (milk), .5 cantaloupe
4:50pm **Workout**
Whey (milk), V8 Fusion, Creatine, Glutamine
Multigrain Bagel, 2 Eggs, Cheese
About 5 or 6 Alcoholic Drinks
2 Large Slices of Pizza (omg Slice of Life is amazing)
4:45am: Casein (milk), Mixed Nuts

Umm .... good times, but I'm not really positive how bad alcohol is going to be on this diet. I kind of picked it in hopes that it would be about the best diet for someone that drinks a little one or two nights a week, but I'm not sure. Weights were pretty tough today, but it felt like a solid session. I'm always exhausted after this day.

Chubrock
01-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Diet is looking crazy man. Definitely not envious of you haha. What time we lifting tomorrow?

KingJustin
01-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Andrew: I'm going to take the day off from lifting. But, if I don't box/roll, then I'll run up at the gym. What time are you going?

1/21/07
BB Curls: 120 x 10+1+negative
DB Decline Tricep Extensions: 35 x 8 x 4
Reverse Curls: 85 x 8 x 2
Shrugs: 205 x 10 x 2, 205 x 10 (drop set) 135 x 8 Ö I was upset about my form on the last set, so I did a drop set.

Diet: PSMF (morning), Refeed (evening)
Woke up at 1:30pm: Whey, Nitrean
Sliced Turkey, Centrum
Nitrean, 4g Fish Oil
Whey (with Milk), Complete Cereal (milk), .5 cantaloupe
6:15pm **Workout** 2 servings Gatorade, .5 Whey during workout
Whey, Glutamine, Creatine, V8 Fusion
Multigrain Bagel, 2 Eggs, Cheese, .5 cantaloupe
Peanut Butter, Jelly, Whole Wheat Bread, Mixed Nuts, 1.5 Green Beans
3 Eggs, Banana
Caseine (milk), 2 Olive Oil
3 Additional Glasses of Milk

Notes: My right shoulder really ****ing hurts.

galileo
01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
How's the diet treating you so far?

KingJustin
01-22-2007, 09:03 PM
1/22/07
Workout: Cardio
Went to the indoor track at the school. 9 laps = 1 mile
Walked 2, jogged 2, stretched
Ran 1 mile in 6:03.
Walked 2 laps
Ran 1.6 laps at about a 5:30 pace
Walked .4 laps
Jogged 2 laps to cool down

Diet:
10:30am: Nitrean, Whey
Sliced Turkey
Nitrean, 4g Fish Oil, Caffeine, Centrum
Turkey
Whey, Nitrean, Glutamine, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
1/3 serving Ham, Nitrean, 4g Fish Oil, .5 Broccoli
Turkey
12:45am: Caseine, Chicken, .5 Broccoli

Comments:
Very happy with my run today. Thatís the fastest mile that I can think of since doing cross country in high school and weighing 65+ lbs less than I do now. 6:03 might not seem all that great, but Iím 215 lbs and I have never been a naturally gifted runner.
Going in I really didnít feel all that good. I needed to take a **** pretty bad, I didnít have a ton of energy, my legs were pretty tight, the gym was really hot, and I didnít really feel like running. To come out on a day like this and set a big (kind of) PR was really great. A lot of this is of course because of all the BJJ/Boxing workouts Iíve been doing the last couple weeks and to a lesser extent the past 6 months, but I also think taking MicroLactin had a lot to do with it. Last time (as far as I remember, without looking through my journal) that I thought I was in pretty good cardio shape and I ran a timed mile I finished in 6:43.

Anyway, I now have another short term goal: run a 5:45 mile before March 3rd (Spring Break). I think if I threw in a serious kick, pushed myself harder, felt better, and didnít have to run in such a hot/crowded gym, I could drop 8 seconds off my time. So .. if I can get in good enough shape in over a month to drop an additional 10 seconds, I should be good to go.

Galileo: As far as diet, I really donít mind the PSMF days much anymore. I feel a little out of it at times (especially for a couple hours after my cardio workout), but I donít have to spend much time preparing/planning for food, and it only makes me enjoy the reefed that much more. Noting the gains that Iím already noticing, I think Iím going to end up very happy with this diet. Thanks for writing the article!

KingJustin
01-24-2007, 01:07 AM
1/23/07
Workout:
Incline DB: 65 x 11 x 3
T-Bar: 120 x 8 x 2, 120 x 6 (heavy!)
Crossovers: 80 x 10 x 3 (the last several reps were terrible, I need to repeat this next week)
Chins: BW x 5, +20 x 5 (pretty easy Ö slow negatives and relatively fast positives)
Hammer Abdominal Machine: 150 x 10 x 2 (really easy, fast positives, slow negatives)

Diet:
Woke up at 8:30AM: Nitrean, Whey, Centrum
Nitrean
2 hour nap
Turkey
4:30: Whey (with Milk), Complete Cereal, .5 Cantaloupe
**Workout** 2 Gatorade, .5 Whey
Whey (with Milk), V8 Fusion, Creatine, Glutamine
Tortellini, Prego Sauce
Mixed Nuts, Peas, .5 Bagel
Creatine, Natural Peanut Butter, Complete Cereal
3 Eggs, .5 Bagel
3am: 1.5 Oatmeal, Caseine, Glutamine

Comments:
Felt pretty decent in the gym today. Everything went up a little, and Iím hoping to continue that trend as I continue to drop fat. I also ate significantly more during my refeed and am intentionally eating a higher percentage of carbs than before. I think this is going to be beneficial.

KingJustin
01-25-2007, 11:00 PM
1/24/07
Workout: BJJ + Boxing
Stretched, then the drill where I start from guard and just work on pulling arm bars and triangles with good form. Then we did full rounds starting from our knees. Today was no good. I just wasnít getting in rhythm and I kept getting in bad positions from the start. After a bit we switched to boxing.
We did some drills and kept moving pretty well. At the end we did two rounds for about 2 minutes a piece. I didnít have my mouth piece so we went really light and just focused on moving around a lot to get a decent cardio workout. I didnít feel like I got nearly as exhausted as I had in the past, although part of that may have been from just not having as great of a workout as I could have. My shoulders were getting pretty tiredÖ

Diet:
10:15am: Nitrean, Whey
Sliced Turkey, 5 Egg Whites
Long nap
Nitrean, 4g liquid Fish Oil, .5 Broccoli
Whey, Nitrean
7:30-8:30: **Workout**
Whey, Nitrean
Spinach, Centrum
Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Chicken
Sliced Turkey, Casein, 2g liquid Fish Oil, Glutamine

Comments;
I felt a little slow today. I feel like my metabolism was just not moving and I was just tired for awhile. Part of this is my ****ty sleep pattern, but I think I also need to start looking towards adding in some light cardio in the mornings to get my heart rate up, along with maybe some caffeine or some other kind of supplement. I think I can also probably handle a little long distance cardio on my lifting days. I might try to add in 1.5 of these days per week.

KingJustin
01-25-2007, 11:00 PM
1/25/07
Morning Workout: Distance Run
Got on the indoor track. 9 laps = 1 mile.
Jogged 3 laps, stretched, walked 1 lap.
Ran a 5k (3.1 miles). First mile time = 6:53, 2 mile time = 15:13, 3.1 miles = 24:25.
Walked 3 laps, jogged 1 lap, stretched.
Total distance = 4 miles
First mile felt decent. I could have definitely gotten a better time if I just wanted to run 1 mile and end there, but that was not the goal. After the first mile, I did get pretty winded, and my legs were feeling pretty tired as well. By about the 18-20 minute mark, I started to feel really tired and I was struggling to breathe well. I had to push pretty hard on the last 6 laps or so.

Evening Workout: Legs/Abs
Seated Calf Raises: 90 x 10, 90 x 8; 1:30 rest (form almost up to par)
Abdominal Pulldowns: 150 x 13, 150 x 10; 1:30 rest
Deadlifts: 135 x 6, 255 x 3, 295 x 5 x 2 (double overhand), 305 x 5 (mixed), 295 x 5 (mixed); 2:00 rest
Squats: 185 x 8 x 2; 2:00 rest
Sled: 490 x 10, 490 x 8; 2:00 rest
Hypers: BW x 13 x 2; 1:00 rest

Diet:
11:20am: Nitrean, Whey
12:01-1:00pm: **Distance Run**
Whey
3 Egg whites, 2 Slices of Turkey (about Ĺ serving), Centrum
Complete Cereal, Whey (Milk), Grape Juice
5:00pm-6:00: **Leg/Ab Workout** 2 Gatorade, .5 Whey
Whey, Grape Juice, Glutamine
Outback Bread, Salad (no dressing), Grilled Chicken Sandwich
Tortellini with a little Prego Sauce
Mixed Nuts, Peas, Creatine
2 Eggs
Caseine, Glutamine, Olive Oil
Several glasses of Milk

Sleep:
Last night, I had several very vivid dreams. I also woke up feeling pretty well rested after a little under 8 hours. I was surprised about this because I woke up several times for a couple minutes during the night. I think it was typically from my shoulder bothering me.

Comments:
Absolutely exhausting day. The run was very hard and left me unable to get a full breathe right up to my workout. My workout was even more exhausting and I came close to blacking out several times. I will not be doing a 2-a-day on leg day again.
Also, instead of taking 3 hours between sets, I dropped the weight slightly and decided to take a maximum of 2 minute rest between sets. This made everything that much more difficult. Iíve been trying my best to explode on the positives and move slowly on the negatives as well. Nothing done today was easy. The two-a-day workout did have the positive effect of making me too exhausted to go to the bar tonight, so fortunately no alcohol today.

Also, I ordered some Thermorexin and will begin taking it probably next Tuesday. I am hoping that the Yohimbine in it helps to get rid of some stubborn fat Ö along with of course the obvious thermogenic junk.

KingJustin
01-27-2007, 04:00 PM
1/26/07
BB Curls: 110 x 10+1+1
Decline DB Tricep Extensions: 35 x 11 x 2, 35 x 10, 35 x 8
BB Shrugs: 210 x 10 x 3
Reverse Curls: 85 x 8, 85 x 6 (failed on 7th)
And that was it. Not all that taxing, but I did push pretty hard on everything.

Diet:
10:30 am: Whey
Nitrean, 5g Fish Oil (itís actually Omega Fish Oil + Omega 6ís/9ís)
Turkey
3:45pm: Complete Cereal, Whey (Milk), Orange Juice
**Workout** 2 Gatorade, .5 Whey
Whey, Grape Juice
2 Eggs, Cheese, Bagel, Peas
Tortellini, Pasta, Green Beans
4 (Alcoholic) Drinks)
3 Slices of Pizza
4:45am: Casein, 2 Olive Oil

Comments:
Ok, slight change with the diet. Iím going to try to workout a little bit earlier on my refeed days, and then get my usual post-workout nutrition for 3 hours. But, after that, Iím going to taper off and wait 2 hours between meals, and slow carb consumption a lot before bed.

Chubrock
01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Curls, Tricep Extensions and Reverse Curls. WTF?

KingJustin
01-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Chubrock: Why don't you just go home to Clinton every weekend?

1/27/07
Workout: HIIT + SS Cardio
I ran outside. It was cold. I warmed up for about 600m and did some calisthenics, then stretched. I eased into one hard run, jogged for a little bit, and then did 30 second ďalmost sprintsĒ followed by ~30 second walk rests. I did 5 repeats total and then immediately jogged for 15:20. I couldnít really see my watch on the sprints, and I wasnít running on the track, so I really donít know how accurate the distances were. Iíd guess it was about 200m and 30 second hard runs each time.

Diet:
1:30pm: Nitrean, Whey
4 Egg Whites
Sliced Turkey, Centrum
Whey, Caffeine
**Workout**
Nitrean, Whey
Sliced Turkey
Nitrean, 4g Fish Oil
2:30am: Casein, Chicken, Broccoli

Comments:
My legs are sore. Also, the pace for the run wasnít too bad. I was moving at a pretty good pace on the ďlight sprintsĒ and I had no problem going for about 30 seconds and could have maybe even continued for a little. My legs were a lot more tired than my lungs, and if I didnít just do a hard cardio workout followed by a really hard leg workout that wouldnít be an issue.

Also, kind of worrying news for lifting... I got a job. I asked to work "7-15 hours" if they were interested. They said 20-25 is what I'd be working. Decided to take it anyway, but this is going to make everything a bit more difficult.

KingJustin
01-28-2007, 11:38 PM
1/28/07
Workout: Back/Light Chest
T-Bar Rows: 120 x 9 x 2, 120 x 6

Goofy Pec Deck ****: 35 x 10 x 5, 60 x 10 x 5
My shoulder was hurting too much on the inclines and the crossovers. I had to do these things instead. I didnít feel all that much even after 100 reps, though. Not happy.

Chin-Ups: BW x 5, +25 x 5 x 4

Weight: 213.5

Diet: PSMF (am), Refeed (pm)
1:40pm: Nitrean, Whey
4 Egg Whites
4:45pm: Complete Cereal, Whey (Milk), Orange Juice
**Workout** 2 Gatorade, Whey
Whey, Grape Juice, Glutamine, Creatine
Cottage Cheese
2 Eggs, Bagel, Cheese, Corn
Peas, Green Beans, Mixed Nuts
3 Egg Whites, Bagel
2am: Green Beans, Caseine (Milk), 5g Fish Oil
Some more Milk over the course of the refeed.

Comments:
Got some good sleep last night, finally. My muscles feel a bit better now, but my shoulder is still really bothering me. I feel like itís getting progressively worse, even over days that I rest it. I hate not doing real chest work when itís already a weak point.

KingJustin
01-29-2007, 10:51 PM
1/29/07
Workout: MMA Practice
First day going back to practice in a couple months. We did mainly some karate-type crap. Towards the end we did a lot of bag work and my shoulders got a pretty good workout. I rolled for a couple rounds after practice. Start to finish, everything took about 1:10 or so. Not all that tiring, but a good workout.

Diet: PSMF
10:30am: Nitrean, Whey, Caffeine
Sliced Turkey
Nitrean, 5g Omega 3/6/9 Oil
4 Egg Whites
7:15pm: .5 Broccoli, Whey, Caffeine
**Workout**
Whey, Nitrean
Sliced Turkey
Chicken, Spinach, Caseine, Glutamine

galileo
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't recall an "arm day" in the diet plan. :)

KingJustin
01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Galileo: Yeah, I picked that up from the majority of the weightlifters at our gym...

But in all seriousness, I don't like having an "arm day" either, but I can't hit my chest or shoulders at all right now without serious pain, so this is the best split I can come up with.

1/30/07
Workout: Legs/Abs
Calf Raises: 90 x 8 x 3
Abdominal Pulldowns: 150 x 13 x 2 (tough!)
Deadlifts: 295 x 5 x 4 (double overhand, except for the last 3 reps of my last set)
Squats: 190 x 8 x 2
Sled: 490 x 8 x 2
Hypers: +70 x 13 x 2
Weight: 212.5
Everything was done with no more than about 2 minutes rest in between sets. Absolutely exhausting.

Diet: PSMF (am), Refeed (pm)
7:40am: Whey
9:30-12:01pm: Nap
Nitrean, Caffeine
4 Egg Whites
3:35pm: Complete Cereal (Milk), Whey (Milk), .5 Cantaloupe, .5 V8 Fusion, Creatine
**Workout**
Whey (Milk), Grape Juice, Glutamine
Cottage Cheese, V8 Vegetable Juice, Creatine
Tortellini with a little Prego Sauce
1 Gatorade, .5 Whey
12Ē Chicken Bacon Sub with Lettuce & Tomatoes
Mixed Nuts, Peas
Chicken, .5 Bagel
Green Beans
1:45am: Caseine, Natural Peanut Butter, Olive Oil, .5 Oatmeal, Glutamine

Comments:
This leg workout is so hard every week. I felt like throwing up for about 25 minutes afterwards. The only thing holding me back was my complete lack of food in my system. Either way, I will take the slight improvements in the weight Ö I liked my diet today. So long as I remember to make my workout shake, I think this was pretty ideal for the refeed.

KingJustin
01-31-2007, 10:54 PM
1/31/07
Morning Workout (12:20pm): 16 Minute Run
Got on the indoor track. 9 Laps = 1 Mile
Jogged 3 laps, stretched, jogged 1 more Ö
Ran for 16 minutes. Total distance = 20 laps (2.2222 miles). First mile time = 6:35 (+/- 5 seconds), second mile time = 14:30 (so, about 7:55), and then I picked it up and kicked pretty well the last 2 laps.
Then I walked 2 laps, jogged 1, and walked 1 more.
Total distance = 28 laps = ~3.1 miles.

Evening Workout (6:30pm): Arms & Traps
BB Curls: 110 x 11+1+1
Decline DB Tricep Extensions: 35 x 11 x 3, 35 x 9
BB Shrugs: 210 x 10 x 2, 210 x 8
Reverse Curls: 85 x 9, 85 x 7
After that I ran on the indoor track. Jog 1 lap, hard run 1 lap, jog 1 lap. I was hoping to increase my appetite a bit more. I think it worked.

Diet: PSMF (am) + Refeed (pm)
10:40am: Nitrean, Caffeine
Whey
12:20pm: **Cardio Workout**
Whey
Chicken
Complete Cereal (Milk), Whey, .5 Cantaloupe, .5 V8 Fusion, Creatine
6:30pm: **Arm/Trap Workout** 2 Gatorade, .5 Whey
Whey (Milk), Grape Juice
Cottage Cheese, V8 Vegetable Juice, Creatine
12Ē Chicken Bacon Sub with Lettuce & Tomatoes
Peanut Butter/Jelly Sandwich on Wheat Bread, Green Beans
3 Eggs, .5 Bagel
1am: Caseine, Olive Oil, Natural Peanut Butter, .5 Oatmeal, Glutamine

Comments:
Hungrier than usual considering it was an ďarmĒ day. Not overly exhausted from the run or the workout, though. I am getting a little bit frustrated on how slowly the weights are moving up, though. I think it might be in part due to the cut Ö.

Also, pretty big change: Iím starting my job tomorrow at 10:45. My plan is to just PSMF it on the days that Iím working too many hours to fit in a real refeed and then make up for it by a few refeeds in a row. This might mean doing 3-4 days of PSMF in a row followed by 3-4 refeeds. Iíve read the UD2.0 book, and I guess Iíll attempt to use some of the principles. Iíll also try to get into a state of ketosis sometimes.

galileo
02-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Nice arm day, joto.

How's the bodyfat coming?

KingJustin
02-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Galileo: Bodyfat is definitely noticeably dropping. As long as work doesn't **** anything up, I am expecting to be a true 7% by early March at over 210. But we shall see.

2/1/07
10:20am: Whey, Sliced Turkey, Caffeine
2 Nitrean, Caffeine
2 Nitrean, Caffeine
11:45pm: Whey, 2g Fish Oil, Sliced Turkey
3 Egg Whites, Chicken
2:10am: Caseine, Chicken

Comments:
Worked 13 ****ing hours. Didn't drink enough water.

2/2/07
Workout: Chest/Back/Arm ďDepletionĒ Day
Really light weights, 12-15 reps per set, 1 minute rest in between sets, no warm-ups
T-Bar Rows x 3 sets
Hammer Machine Ab Crunches x 3
Tricep Pushdowns x 3
Pec-Deck Flyes sort of x 2
Lat Pulldowns x 3
Seated Military Press x 3

12:10pm: Whey, Sliced Turkey
2pm: .5 Broccoli, Whey, Thermorexin pill
**Workout**
Whey
Chicken
4 Nitrean + Caffeine over the course of several hours
4 Egg Whites
2:40am: Caseine, 5g Omega 3/6/9 Oil, Chicken

Comments: Worked another 7.5 hours. Pretty exhausted, but I felt OK working out, probably in large part thanks to the Thermorexin. I'm not really hungry, but I do feel a little ****ty. I think working is keeping my metabolism up a little bit at least.

Funny **** at the gym: Sir Grope a Lot was training a little Asian girl today. He put her head on a big balance ball, with her feet out in front as if she's kind of lying down but with her knees bent. He then had her perform "hip thrusts" as he STRADDLED HER.

Also, a couple of days ago when I was running in the gym, I had to take a huge dump. I walk into the bathroom, and sure enough I see my professor naked, brushing his teeth. I proceed to take a very long (although rather glorious) dump, come out, and sure enough my professor is still naked, talking to another naked professor. Start to finish this was at least 25+ minutes. Awesome!

KingJustin
02-04-2007, 08:51 AM
2/3/07
Workout: Leg/Trap/Forearm ďDepletionĒ Day
Really light weights, 12-15 reps per set, 1 minute rest in between sets, no warm-ups
Sled x 4 sets
Pulley Shrugs x 4 sets
Hypers x 3 sets
Chest Pulley Push x 2 sets
Seated Calf Raises x 3 sets
Grip Rope Pull Things x 3 sets
Static Hold x 20 seconds x 2 sets
Weight: 209.5 lbs

Whey, Chicken
Whey
**Workout**
Whey, Centrum
Vitamin C, Vitamin E, 4 Egg Whites
Subway Chicken/Bacon/Cheese/Lettuce/Tomatoes Wrap
4 Nitrean over the course of about 3 hours
2 Eggs, 2 Egg Whites
Caseine, Chicken, 5g Omega 3/6/9 Oil

Comments: I don't like the idea of working 40 hours in 4 days while attending school. My manager apparently didn't gather that I wanted about 7-15, but 20 hours max. I'll have to reexplain that.