PDA

View Full Version : no box for squats

Natetaco
09-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Im thinking about switching to powerlifting and the westside routine calls for box squats, only problem is i have no access to a "box". Is there any substitution for a box? will a bench do?

LouPac
09-24-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm your height and I use a bench, it all depends on how low the benches are at your gym, I find the ones at my gym are just low enough for me to go parallel. If not a bench, you can pile up a bunch of cardio steps and use that.

Natetaco
09-24-2006, 07:48 PM
ok thanks.

also, how are these better/different than just regular parallel squats. they call for box's in westside but i was wondering if i could just do parallel ones instead?

Hazerboy
09-24-2006, 07:59 PM
They're used for speed squats usually. Using a box eliminates the stretch reflex and helps your explosion out of the hole. I would use a box a little lower than parallel though (or more of you're going ATF).

Just bring a short bucket into the gym and flip it upside down when you do box squats. Carry your gym stuff in it if you want.

Natetaco
09-24-2006, 08:00 PM
can you order a box? i have a squat rack at home.

Detard
09-24-2006, 08:05 PM
i just stacked up a bunch of plates until they were just below parallel. everyone looked at me weird but i got a good workout.

Sensei
09-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Make sure that whatever you use is stable and not going to cave in, or slip on you. I've heard that those aerobic steps are surprisingly strong and Magnus Ver was using them for step ups w. crazy amounts of weight. You might look into that.

The first "box" I made wasn't boxes at all - it was just a bunch of sheets of wood that I nailed together until it was about 10" high. It weighed about 70lbs, but it worked.

Keith
09-24-2006, 09:21 PM
No need to order in a box or anything. Grab a milk crate from any store (they should give you one if you ask) and bring that into your gym and just leave it there. People will really appreciate as well.

TommyBoy
09-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Make sure that whatever you use is stable and not going to cave in, or slip on you. I've heard that those aerobic steps are surprisingly strong and Magnus Ver was using them for step ups w. crazy amounts of weight. You might look into that.
Careful when setting and stacking those aerobic steps, first time I used them in the gym, my training partner does his first work set and the stack slid right off and he ended up literally squatting ass to the floor.

The first "box" I made wasn't boxes at all - it was just a bunch of sheets of wood that I nailed together until it was about 10" high. It weighed about 70lbs, but it worked.
This is what I did too. I made a box that was 10" high, and brought several 1" boards which attached with dowels in order to make the box higher. Works great. No need to purchase anything fancy.

Natetaco
09-25-2006, 05:26 AM
lol ok. the box's i saw on elitefts were like 200$ and i was thinking... HELL NO there has to be another way! thanks for the eye-deas

Sidior
09-25-2006, 09:53 AM
If you train at a gym stack up some of those stepper things. Using 2 and adjusting the height on them should work fine for a box.

MixmasterNash
09-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Build one.

RickTheDestroyer
09-25-2006, 11:02 AM
I use one of these:
http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/7%5C7023002297B.jpg
except that it makes Justin cry, so he's investing in some aerobic steps. Eventually I'll either buy a real one or build one.

getfit
09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
If you train at a gym stack up some of those stepper things. Using 2 and adjusting the height on them should work fine for a box.
yep, that's how i do it.

Natetaco
09-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I use one of these:
http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_images/7%5C7023002297B.jpg
except that it makes Justin cry, so he's investing in some aerobic steps. Eventually I'll either buy a real one or build one.

hah that thing will hold that much weight?

RickTheDestroyer
09-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Eh. I've sat down on it with 275lb. + chains at a bodyweight of 235 and it was fine.
We're planning out a new box now.

BG5150
09-25-2006, 02:28 PM
lol ok. the box's i saw on elitefts were like 200$ and i was thinking... HELL NO there has to be another way! thanks for the eye-deas
Those are boxes for plyometrics, I'm guessing.

Just use a milkcrate or some other semi-strudy thing that is about as high as you want your ass to be at the bottom of the squat.

You don't rest all your weight (plus the bar) on the box...you just use it as a kind of brake that helps keep you still for a moment before exploding back up.

Sidior
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Those are boxes for plyometrics, I'm guessing.

Just use a milkcrate or some other semi-strudy thing that is about as high as you want your ass to be at the bottom of the squat.

You don't rest all your weight (plus the bar) on the box...you just use it as a kind of brake that helps keep you still for a moment before exploding back up.

Um I was under the impression you are supposed to actually sit on the box, therefore breaking up the concentric and ecentric portions of the lift. This would be done by relaxing the hips but keeping everything else tight.

JustinASU
09-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Um I was under the impression you are supposed to actually sit on the box, therefore breaking up the concentric and ecentric portions of the lift. This would be done by relaxing the hips but keeping everything else tight.

To my knowledge you are correct. It's NOT a touch and go lift. The whole point is to break the motion and release the hip flexors as much as possible.

LouPac
09-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Yep, you are supposed to sit on it, it's not touch and go.

betastas
09-26-2006, 07:18 AM
Since we got to the topic of actually sitting on the box (not touch and go), I wanted to know if you are to rock back at all when you sit down. Is the bar supposed to stay in the same place as soon as your bottom touches the box?

Sometimes I see people doing box squats who sit on the box, rock back gently, rock forward, then go up. It seems to me that rocking is a great way to end up injured.

Also, when you relax your hips, do you relax your glutes too?

bill
09-26-2006, 09:21 AM
For the people who use the steppers, how many do you stack? Just curious the # amount.And is that with the top bench piece?

JustinASU
09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
For the people who use the steppers, how many do you stack? And is that with the top bench piece?

However many you want depending on your preferred box squat height. And your second question: Yes.

MixmasterNash
09-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Sometimes I see people doing box squats who sit on the box, rock back gently, rock forward, then go up. It seems to me that rocking is a great way to end up injured.

Also, when you relax your hips, do you relax your glutes too?
You rock back because you release you hips. You rock forward to reengage.

Ideally, you would not rock forward much at all. Indeed, the idea is to learn how to engage your flexors properly.

I think it HARD to box squat perfectly, even with no weight. Try to come off the box with absolutely no rocking; you'll definately feel it in your hips.

Sensei
09-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Try not to rock - you can move more weight, but it is more dangerous. The ONLY thing you should let relax are the hip flexors.

Guido
09-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Listen to Sensei. He knows of what he speaks.

Just use something or make something that is 10-14" high that will be stable and can hold several hundred pounds of weight. I personally wouldn't trust any milk crate or plastic bucket because if it breaks you would definitely be screwed and could even die.

TommyBoy
09-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Technically, there shouldn't be any 'rocking.' The best way to describe it is to sit back on the box, not down on the box. Everything stays tight except the hip flexors.

bill
09-26-2006, 12:41 PM
thanks justin, I change the height from time to time. Just curious how low most go on these?

JustinASU
09-26-2006, 01:15 PM
thanks justin, I change the height from time to time. Just curious how low most go on these?

You want the box to be right around parallel for you. Some prefer the box to be adjustable for low/high box squats. Squat to parallel and have someone measure the distance from your ass to the ground, and that would be a good starting point.

HeavyBomber
10-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Here's a couple pics of the box I made. It's 12"x14"x16" long. 14" is parallel for me so when I want to go a little lower I just flip it on it's side.

MixmasterNash
10-06-2006, 10:39 PM
That's a perfect design, 3 different heights. Why the door?

Sensei
10-07-2006, 06:43 AM
That's an awesome box HB!!!

Mix,
I don't know what HB uses it for, but I'd throw bands or chains or collars in there.

Natetaco
10-07-2006, 08:11 AM
who KNOWS what HB puts in there;)

HeavyBomber
10-07-2006, 01:12 PM
hahahaha lol
Yeah -bands, chalk, boards for board press and whatever.

Luckily, at the time I had access to a wood shop at work so it turned out really nice. I always wanted to paint it like camo or something.