PDA

View Full Version : wheat and grains = cortisol

Roddy
09-25-2006, 12:56 AM
http://www.ppcchicago.com/articles/carbintake.php

read for yourself. WTF!:drooling:

CrazyK
09-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Find better sources of information. Some of the stuff the guy says is ok, but eliminating grains all toghether(which ARE fiborous) as if they are as good as soda pop is absurd.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-25-2006, 03:33 AM
1) Elimate grains, particularly wheat. This is the most important principle regarding carb intake. Wheat influences blood sugar levels the same way as plain table sugar.Anything with carbs effects blood sugar levels.

3. The main source of carbs should be fibrous. Fibrous carbs typically have very low carb content. Their inherent high fiber brings about a very moderate insulin response, thus making them an ideal fat loss food. The best sources of fibrous carbs include:
- Broccoli
- Lettuce
- Cabbage
- Cauliflower
- Mushrooms
- Green beans
- Onions
- Asparagus
- Cucumber
- Spinach
- All forms of peppers
- Zucchini
- CauliflowerT34 1nSuL1n R3sponS3 iZ 3V1L!!!11one! ST@y @WAY!!!1one1eleven11SHIFT!!!one!@1~!

4. The darker the fruit, the better it is for you. Dark fruits tend to have very thin skin, (hence they need to produce more anti-oxidants to protect themselves from the sun). That is why darker fruits are great anti-inflammatory foods. Bananas have thick skins therefore they have lower anti-oxydants contents.

5. The darker the fruit, the better it is for you, part II. The darker the fruit, the lower the glycemic load. Again, compare berries, and cherries to bananas and pineapple. Of course, this applies to fruits in their natural state; when grapes become raisins, while their glycemic index goes up because of dehydration of the fruit.Oh gawd...they're using the glycemic index. :bang:

6. Replace grains with greens in sandwiches.This one is promoted by Jonny Bowden, author 'Living The Low Carb Life': Instead of using bread, use dark leafy greens to wrap the meat. It will slow down the glycemic index and help shift in your favor the acid/alkaline base.No thanks. I'd wrather use bread to wrap my sandwiches.

And then it goes on to say that you should avoid fructose, then it says to use fruit juice, among other things, in post workout drinks. :scratch: And then even recommends using honey over maltodextrin. My gawd.

By the same token, 3 reps slow tempo squats has different caloric demand than 3 reps in the power clean. As a general rule, I would recommend the following carbohydrate intake based on training volume for a given workout:

- 12-72 reps per workout : 0.6 g/Kg/LBM
- 73-200 reps per workout : 0.8 g/kg/LBM
- 200-360 reps per workout : 1.0 g/kg/LBM
- 360-450 reps per workout : 1.2 g/kg/LBMUm...

teaturtle
09-25-2006, 06:30 AM
that's BS even to me...

McIrish
09-25-2006, 07:18 AM
360-450 reps per workout?? WTF?? Haha, I've been doing it wrong all along! Screw 20 rep squats, I gotta jack it up to 200 rep squats.

Anthony
09-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Generally speaking, more people would be better served to decrease grain and increase vegetables. Don't denounce the entire idea just because of one extremist.

Steele
09-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Think that they were referring to the total amount of reps, as opposed to the number in each set.

-Steele

360-450 reps per workout?? WTF?? Haha, I've been doing it wrong all along! Screw 20 rep squats, I gotta jack it up to 200 rep squats.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Generally speaking, more people would be better served to decrease grain and increase vegetables. Don't denounce the entire idea just because of one extremist.Vegetables, FTW! Sandwiches without bread is asinine though. It no longer makes it a sandwich. :bang:

malkore
09-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Generally speaking, more people would be better served to decrease grain and increase vegetables. Don't denounce the entire idea just because of one extremist.

Quiet true. A little old fashioned oatmeal or brown rice at the right time is great...but so many people seem to think bread and pasta are 'fiberous grain sources'.

CrazyK
09-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Quiet true. A little old fashioned oatmeal or brown rice at the right time is great...but so many people seem to think bread and pasta are 'fiberous grain sources'.Some of them are. Look at the nutrition facts for truly 100% whole wheat Bread and Pasta, and you'll find lots and lots of Fiber.