PDA

View Full Version : Progress Report (Q's about Fat)

Dev
09-26-2006, 07:30 PM
If anyone remembers my post from a couple of months back, I started posting to this forum when I was beginning my WBB-enhanced workout and diet routines. That was about 3 months ago. I am 6'0" and weighed about 140pounds. I'm now 165 pounds and very happy with my progress. Could have been heavier actually, I was sick for a couple of weeks and let my workout and diet routines slip.

I want to ask a few questions about my experience so far, mostly concerning the shortcuts I've been taking. Now I'm very sure that I'm wrong in these cases, but they have been yielding results, and I want to know what's wrong with my limited knowledge that I've used to justify my actions.

My diet's main aims has been to eat around 3300 calories daily, while attaining a minimum value of 1g/lbm of protein (I know this should be higher, my first aim will now be to push that to 1.5g but I find it hard, because I am such a slow eater). Now, what I can't understand is if you're getting that minimum value of protein, why is it so taboo to eat extra fat to make up the calories you're aiming for. Often, if I get back late from work and I'm tired I'll order some KFC or McDonalds for some quick calories, and the reading I've done hasn't convinced me why this is such a bad thing. Considering I'm an ectomorph it's great because I need every calorie I get, it's a thrill to have even fat on my body after all these years, and I never believed in that anti-fat voodoo anyways.

My other cause of concern is that I've probably been over-reliant on whey protein shakes to give me my sources of protein, sometimes using them to obtain up to 70g of protein a day. Again, why is this such a bad thing?

I'm open to suggestions about how I can improve my diet but I want some explainations about why what I'm doing right now is so wrong.

K1M
09-26-2006, 08:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with eating lots of fat to obtain the needed cals. Nothing at all. The rest of society just seems to have this ****ed up voodoo nutrition idea that eating fat makes you fat, although they are starting to come around.

RE the fast food: DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET THE NECESSARY CALS. Sure, KFC might be far from optimal, but whats the alternative? Not growing? No, thanks.

RE protein shakes, whole food is almost always 'better,' as it contains the necessary vitamins/minerals/other **** that occurs naturally in the food.

Dev
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
I should also mention that the fat levels I eat sometimes far exceed the 0.5g/lbm rule that is bandied about these boards, thats what I meant when I said a lot of fat. Is this number just arbitrary, ie. that it doesn't really matter if it's higher if it helps you get the calories you want? Or is there a definitive reason that keeping fat at this level are advised?

Al3X
09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
70g of protein from shakes alone is high! That's half of your accumulated protein.

Calories, are Calories. Make sure you stick to your diet, and try not to be pushed away. Prepare your meals the night before if you have to. We all know that trying to get those last extra calories in would be much better from nutritious whole clean foods (as prepared from fast food).

The .5 g of fat, is only a recommended dosing. It's not in stone, just do your best to be close to it.

Holto
09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
There is nothing wrong with eating lots of fat to obtain the needed cals. Nothing at all. The rest of society just seems to have this ****ed up voodoo nutrition idea that eating fat makes you fat, although they are starting to come around.

RE the fast food: DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET THE NECESSARY CALS. Sure, KFC might be far from optimal, but whats the alternative? Not growing? No, thanks.

RE protein shakes, whole food is almost always 'better,' as it contains the necessary vitamins/minerals/other **** that occurs naturally in the food.

Good post.

If the choice is KFC or not eating then it's time to get your chicken on.

Unreal
09-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Nothing wrong with lots of protein from shakes. I get 100g+ from nitrean daily.

Nothing wrong with excess fat, but your choices aren't the best. A shake with whey/olive oil/peanut butter is going to be alot better then fastfood. The problem with fastfood is it is normally loaded with processed crap, transfat, tons of preservatives, and other junk.