PDA

View Full Version : Dietery goals for skinny guys?

Yah Yah
09-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey everyone.

Im a skinny guy, 23 yrs old, about 5'10" and 139 lbs. Unfortunately, I can eat and eat and never gain a single pound. So Im sick of being skinny and want to get up to about 170 by at least march if not sooner. That gives me 1.2X lbs / week I need to gain.

So I signed up with fitday.com to track my food intake which brings me to this:

I was wondering how many calories, proteins, etc etc I should be taking in each day to make the most of my work outs? I dont think fats are a big problem seeing as how I have next to no fat... Butyou guys are probably know more.

Also, if any of you guys have been where I am and have any workout advice or eating schedule advice please let me know. Thanks Everyone.

Dev
09-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Yeah, you're at exactly the same stage that I was. I thought that I ate a lot, I've got a high metabolism like you too... but trust me, you don't know what real eating is until you start doing what's necessary and get outside your comfort zone.

3 months ago I was 140 pounds (I'm 6'0"), now I'm 165. So you should be able to get to 170 pounds easily before March if you try hard enough. Don't be afraid to pack on those pounds, trust me, extra weight will look good on you whether its fat or muscle or whatever.

I started out aiming at least 3000 calories a day. If that's significantly more than you're used to, having lots of protein shakes will help bridge the gap. Eating more than you're used to is hard work :)

deeder
09-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Input everything you ate today (or yesterday) into fitday and come back with how many calories and grams of carbs, fat and protein you had. My guess is that you'll be surprised at how little you're actually eating.

Peanut butter, oatmeal, olive oil, whey... They are all easy (and cheap) ways to add tons of calories.

Murmur
09-28-2006, 05:31 AM
You could start off with something like:

2800 calories

360g carbs
150g protein
85g fat

You could, of course, go a little bit higher than 2800. As you gain weight you are gonna have to eat more in order to keep bulking.

Boy, bulking is such fun!

malkore
09-28-2006, 11:16 AM
pickup a copy of "Scrawny to Brawny". its a nutrition book for skinny guys that 'can't seem to put on muscle'

RedSpikeyThing
09-28-2006, 01:41 PM
pickup a copy of "Scrawny to Brawny". its a nutrition book for skinny guys that 'can't seem to put on muscle'

It's a very good book.. Most of the info can be found on T-Nation if you look for articles by John Berardi.

To the OP: I weigh 145 lbs and I eat 3500 cals a day. I'm slowly gaining weight. You will to - just make sure to eat all the time and eat when you have to (about every 3 hours). I skipped a meal yesterday and found myself about 1100 calories short at 10 PM. It wasn't fun making up that deficit.