PDA

View Full Version : Rate of glycogen storage/replenishment

russianwol
09-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can answer the question about how fast do muscle replenish the glycogen storage. I would think that insulin secretion caused by consumption of dexo/malto would speed up that time.

I'm asking because I'm competing in JJ tourney this weekend and looking to make weight in the morning. I'm hoping that I will be able to save the glycogen stores and only sweat out water to make weight.

However, I would be curious to learn more out about this topic so that I can judge if I should in fact go for the weight I'm aiming or not.

I'm hoping that in several hours with proper nutirition I can replenish my muscle glucogen stores or at least load up my blood with glucose for the competition time.

djreef
09-28-2006, 02:10 PM
I remembered reading somewhere that it took a few hours. Of course alot of that is going to depend on how hard the muscles are worked and how depleted they are. Actually, there's alot of factors that go into this - insulin sensitivity, types of sugars being used to generate recovery response, other hormone intangibles, etc. I guess there's no simple answer.

DJ

Built
09-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I think you may be able to do some interesting things with supercompensation if you deplete first, like BB do for shows.

russianwol
09-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Built. Give me a little hint on what you mean :)

I'm doing an interesting thing with sodium intake. I'm reducing it (have been reducing) for a week. Usually, my intake is high from the cottage cheese, dressings, beef jerky. However, in the past by cutting down on sodium allowed me to shed about 2-3 lb of water before actually sweating it out.

Built
09-28-2006, 02:36 PM
check your PMs.

:)

ddegroff
09-28-2006, 03:22 PM
I would think if you lowered your carb intake you could shed some more water weight.

BUT of course I don't know how much time you have between weighing in and the event.

I've gone completely depleted (172lbs) to carb loaded in 24hrs (177-178). You might not have enough time to do that tho.