PDA

View Full Version : 85-90 percent lean beef okay?

motionman04
09-29-2006, 12:39 AM
I just purchased some beef earlier today, and I found out that its around 85-90 percent lean. They didn't have any nutritional values on it, but I later asked someone who worked there who told me thats the cut of the beef. This seem healthy?

dissipate
09-29-2006, 08:43 AM
seems fine to me

Ruffian
09-29-2006, 08:55 AM
I just purchased some beef earlier today, and I found out that its around 85-90 percent lean. They didn't have any nutritional values on it, but I later asked someone who worked there who told me thats the cut of the beef. This seem healthy?

Think about it... lean beef. It has NOTHING to do with the cut, it is just the amount of fat present in it. Compare your beef to regular beef you will find anywhere, you will see that there are far less white lines in it. Ergo, less fat.

Vita
09-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Think about it... lean beef. It has NOTHING to do with the cut, it is just the amount of fat present in it. Compare your beef to regular beef you will find anywhere, you will see that there are far less white lines in it. Ergo, less fat.

the amount of fat in beef is highly dependent on the cut, and then on the grade of the cow that was butchered for our consumption...

clawhammer_33
09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I eat it all the time. Delicious

~LV~
09-29-2006, 10:54 AM
I eat it all the time. Delicious
Same here. Nothing wrong with it at all.

malkore
09-29-2006, 11:34 AM
I try to get diet lean, 93-95% lean. then again, I'm cutting.

You should always be able to ask your butcher to grind up lean steak for you...ground sirloin, ground top/bottom round stead, even flank steak.

its leaner than ground beef.

ArchAngel777
09-29-2006, 11:53 AM
OP,

For what it is worth, I think you are probably find to eat that. Even 93/7 is nearly 40% fat when. I am not sure how they rate beef, because mathematically, I just don't understand how something can be 93/7 by volume or weight and yet be 40% fat... But, whatever... Anyway, the point of it is that most of that fat tends to cook out anyway, or so I have read. From my understanding, properly strained normal beef (70/30) cooked will have the same ammount of calories as 93/7 by the time it is cooked and on your plate (unless you love extremely undercooked burgers).

If you want to read an article I have on it, check it out here... Pretty interesting...

Regular Ground Beef Versus Lean Ground Beef (http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/groundbeef.htm)

CrazyK
09-29-2006, 01:02 PM
If it fits with in your caloric needs than it's fine.