PDA

View Full Version : How much Omega-6 fats required?

manowar669
09-29-2006, 11:54 AM
I assume there's a suggested minimum amount of O-6 fats, based on body weight. Also, what percentage of the fat in nuts (say, peanuts) is actually O-6?

I'm sure Built has the answer to this one.

TheGimp
09-29-2006, 12:24 PM
The important thing is not the total amount of omega-6s consumed, but the ratio of omega-3s to omega-6s, with 1:1 being something of an ideal. Most people consume somewhere in the region of 1:40. This is due to an abundance of grains, and meat from animals fed grains, in the average diet.

Peanuts aren't a nut, they're a legume. But as you mentioned them specifically, here are some numbers. I use the USDA nutrient database (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/) for things like this.

Per 100g:

Total Fat - 49.24g
Polyunsaturated Fat - 15.559g
Omega-6s (Linoleic acid (18:2)) - 15.555g
Omega-3s (Alpha-linolenic acid (18:3)) - 0.003g

As you can see, the ratio of omega-3s to omega-6s is appalling. IMHO peanutbutter is overrated as a fat source.

manowar669
09-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks Gimp.
So it looks like roughly 1/3 of the total fats in Peanuts is O-6. I get my 3-4g(ish) of O-3 fats from 10-12g fish oil daily. I thought the ratio was closer to 1:6 O-3:O-6.

Max Thunder
09-30-2006, 07:46 PM
While grass-fed beef is a better source of omega 3's than grain-fed, the difference is very small as both are low in polyinsaturated fats (the bacterias in the rumen change most of the polyunsaturated fats into saturated fats).

There are also other factors that will affect how much omegas you need; saturated fats will be beneficial to their uptake and use, a lack of antioxidant protection (fat-soluble vitamins are very important here) will do the opposite.
If you actually are omegas 3 deficient as a lot of people are, you sure will need a lot more.