PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Cutting and Bulking

Spartan936
09-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey. I'm 19, 5'5, 135 lbs. Yeah, I know, great stats, don't get too excited. Problem is, my bodyfat is also about 17-20%. I have tried to bulk several times in the past, but due to sickness and not getting enough calories, I always fail miserably. My bodies maintainance is about 3500 calories, even being the short twig that I am. To gain I seem to need damn near 5000. On top of this I have a whole host of health problems that I'm not even going to go into (diabetes, asthma, etc...) I realize that not getting enough calories was the reason why I wasn't gaining.

Questions:

1. Do you think it would be wise for me to cut down to at least 10-12% bodyfat and THEN bulk?

2. Or should I just eat like a madman, lift heavy, and hope for the best?

3. Is there anything that I'm forgetting? Besides lack of calories, I can't for the life of me figure out why I cannot gain muscle and strength. All I've gained in the last year is ten pounds of flab. :mad:

Thanks guys (and gals)

charles_316
09-29-2006, 07:37 PM
eat everything in sight and lift heavy!! u gotta bulk up first

Holto
09-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Hey. I'm 19, 5'5, 135 lbs. Yeah, I know, great stats, don't get too excited. Problem is, my bodyfat is also about 17-20%. I have tried to bulk several times in the past, but due to sickness and not getting enough calories, I always fail miserably. My bodies maintainance is about 3500 calories, even being the short twig that I am. To gain I seem to need damn near 5000. On top of this I have a whole host of health problems that I'm not even going to go into (diabetes, asthma, etc...) I realize that not getting enough calories was the reason why I wasn't gaining.

Questions:

1. Do you think it would be wise for me to cut down to at least 10-12% bodyfat and THEN bulk?

2. Or should I just eat like a madman, lift heavy, and hope for the best?

3. Is there anything that I'm forgetting? Besides lack of calories, I can't for the life of me figure out why I cannot gain muscle and strength. All I've gained in the last year is ten pounds of flab. :mad:

Thanks guys (and gals)

I'd say cut. 20% is too high for bulking.

It should improve your health greatly.

Mentzer said that to start to build a body you should have a live body.

If you cut some fat and upp the cardio when you are ready to bulk your workouts will be more effective.

Trying to bulk when you are not absolutely killing workouts is not very effective.

RedSpikeyThing
09-29-2006, 08:20 PM
First, if your maintenance is 3500, you don't need to eat 5000 to gain. Eating about 4000 would give you ~1 lb / week. My opinion would be to eat slightly above maintenance (say, 3750) and bust your ass in the gym. You'll gain some weight slowly, and hopefully it will be all muscle. Then you can cut down.

Since you have diabetes, you'll have to be very sure your diet is in check. Track everything you eat on www.fitday.com to help you.

Spartan936
09-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I'd say cut. 20% is too high for bulking.

It should improve your health greatly.

Mentzer said that to start to build a body you should have a live body.

If you cut some fat and upp the cardio when you are ready to bulk your workouts will be more effective.

Trying to bulk when you are not absolutely killing workouts is not very effective.

Mentzer was my favorite. Really under-appreciated I think. That advice makes me feel much better, thanks Holto. At least I only need to cut around 15 pounds, haha.

Alright, so I will cut for about 1-2 months, lift enough to maintain mass, and up the cardio to improve my energy.

And by "killing workouts" you mean really intense lifting right?

Spartan936
09-29-2006, 09:41 PM
First, if your maintenance is 3500, you don't need to eat 5000 to gain. Eating about 4000 would give you ~1 lb / week. My opinion would be to eat slightly above maintenance (say, 3750) and bust your ass in the gym. You'll gain some weight slowly, and hopefully it will be all muscle. Then you can cut down.

Since you have diabetes, you'll have to be very sure your diet is in check. Track everything you eat on www.fitday.com to help you.

Yeah, the diabetes is in check. And I do fill out fitday periodically, though I think I'll start doing it daily. I think I am going to cut first though.

smalls
09-30-2006, 12:38 AM
I would also cut to a lower bodyfat and then go from their, you will most likely feel much better about your health and your progress.

Holto
09-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Mentzer was my favorite. Really under-appreciated I think. That advice makes me feel much better, thanks Holto. At least I only need to cut around 15 pounds, haha.

Alright, so I will cut for about 1-2 months, lift enough to maintain mass, and up the cardio to improve my energy.

And by "killing workouts" you mean really intense lifting right?

Yep.

Good luck bro.

Holto
09-30-2006, 01:31 PM

Just for the record ^ this is good advice for when you decide to bulk.

Spartan936
09-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Will do. Thanks man.