PDA

View Full Version : 5 Months of Progress

Tofer
10-01-2006, 12:01 AM
The Before pics are from May 1 of this year, and the After pics were taken this evening. For the clothed pics, the Before pics were taken about a year ago (although I looked pretty much exactly the same up until May 1 of this year, since I couldn't work out because of an injury). In the May 1st pics, I'm approximately 186-187 lbs and in the After pics (which were taken with no pump) I'm about 226 lbs. I'm still bulking and hope to reach 240ish before cutting, unless my BF gets out of control. Keep in mind that I'm 6'5" if you're going to dispute my weight.

Here are the pics:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/kriswilliams/May1-Sep30-Legs.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/kriswilliams/May1-Sep30-Back.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/kriswilliams/May1-Sep30-Front.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y153/kriswilliams/BeforeAfterClothed.jpg

I blacked out my face in the front pics because I looked slightly constipated. And yeah, I realize I wasn't flexed in the Before pic in that case, but it's the only pic I had to use.

Any thoughts or comments?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Lookin' a lot bigger man. Keep it up. :thumbup: Your lats are definitely wider.

Fuzzy
10-01-2006, 03:26 AM
Dude!!! Why would anyone say crap bout you, you look heaps good man!!!! Like really good!

When I can find my dam camera Im gonna post pics of myself, I still have a spare tyre around me, but I know thats gonna go within 12 weeks. Youll rarely find someone on this site wholl just pay you out, thats against the rules and ruins the community spirit.

Keep working at it man!

Davidelmo
10-01-2006, 04:14 AM
Looking MUCH better. Legs must have gained several inches, arms and chest are bigger, lats are much wider, delts are great! Nice job.

KingWilder
10-01-2006, 07:56 AM
looking awesome man, no need to be self-conscious

Stumprrp
10-01-2006, 08:09 AM
yes dude u look great! tremendous size gain! may i ask why did the girl shut u down? hoes these days...

Beast
10-01-2006, 08:10 AM
I see a big improvement in each picture. You're obviously doing everything right!

Bohizzle
10-01-2006, 08:12 AM
looking good man, lots of progress, and still so lean! good stuff man, keep it up.

Andrew

Rusty
10-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Great progress! You look a lot bigger all over. Keep it up!

jAy_Dub
10-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Dude, thats some insane 5 month progress. Keep doing exactly what your doing.

Jorge Sanchez
10-01-2006, 09:17 AM
You look alot bigger everywhere, especially the legs and lats. Good work.

Yah Yah
10-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Topher thanks for posting pics man. You look awesome. I cant believe thats only 5 months of progress. Dont let that chick get you down. Embarrassing moments make the funniest stories. :smoke:

growthrep
10-01-2006, 09:27 AM
THAT IS AWESOME! Incredible transformation dude! Whatever you're doing don't stop! Mind posting your eating and training regiment?

McIrish
10-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah Tof, you're doin something right... as has been said, your lats and quads have filled out noticeably and your back dbl bi shot looks markedly better now. Keep it up!

Tofer
10-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Wow, thanks a lot everyone! Reading this thread was a really nice way to start my day. I appreciate each and every single reply.

After reading your comments, I already feel my confidence coming back. I'm not gonna let some awkward episode with a girl set me back again (if you really want to hear about it you can PM me, but otherwise this place has seen a bit too much girl drama lately and I don't wanna add to it) when I've spent so much time building up my confidence.

The one thing I didn't notice growing just from looking in the mirror was my legs. I guess when you start to feel them rubbing together when you wear jeans, though, you know they have to be getting bigger.

As for my diet and training regiment, well, as my mom remarked this summer, my body is basically the body that natural peanut butter built. I went through tons of the stuff. I started out with about 4000 calories (slightly higher depending on the day) and slowly increased my intake to 5000-5500 as the lbs went up. I kept it clean the entire time, which took a lot of will-power at first but eventually it just became easy. I don't like baking goods or anything sugary anymore, which makes it really easy to avoid the stuff. A lot of my calories come from weight gainer shakes I make. I take 375-500 ml of 2% or whole milk, two huge scoops of natural peanut butter, 0.5-0.75 cups of raw oats, a teaspoon of olive oil, 2 scoops of whey protein powder (vanilla) and a drop of honey and blend it to a liquid. I worked my way from drinking one of these a day at first, to three now. On top of that I eat whole wheat bread, chicken breasts, rice, potatoes, more peanut butter, almonds, peanuts, bananas, steak, pasta, salad, vegetables and yogurt. I like to keep it as clean as possible. I also drink about 4L of water a day, or more if I'm training. The one thing I've learned through all this is that Fat is your friend. If you're getting good Fats, depending on your weight, you can probably get down close to 200g a day. I probably went over that amount at times. I can't think of an easier way to get calories. All in all, as far as diet goes, I just read the advice given by members here in the diet section and followed as closely as possible. Oh, and I rarely, if ever, drank alcohol. Maybe twice all summer...

For training, my routine basically consisted of putting a maximum amount of effort into heavy compound movements and then throwing in a few other things. I started off doing a four day split for about four months, until my lifts started to plateau (this routine wasn't even that amazing now that I look at it, but here it is):

Monday: Chest/Biceps
Flat BB Bench Press: 3 warm-up sets of 6-8, ramping up weight, and then 5x5
Incline DB Press: 3x8
Weighted Dips: 3x8-10
Bicep Curls: 3x10
Hammer Curls: 2x10

Tuesday: Quads/Calves
Squats: 3 warm-up sets of 8-10, ramping up weight, and then 5x5
Standing DB Lunges: 3x8-10 per side
Leg Press: 4x10-12
Standing Calf Raise: 3x12-15
Seated Calfs: 3x10-12

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Back/Hams
Pullups: 3-4x5
Deadlifts: 3 warm-up sets of 6-8, ramping up weight, and then 5x5
Barbell Rows (at 90 degrees): 3-4x8
Weighted Hypers: 3x8-10
Leg Curls: 3x10

Friday: Shoulders/Triceps
Standing Millitary Press: 5x5-8
Lateral Raise: 2x10
Front Plate Raise: 2x10
Close-Grip Bench: 4x8-10
Weighted Dips: 3-4x8
Pulldowns: 3x10

I think the main thing, in whatever workout you're doing, is that you need to be intense. I put everything I had into lifting, and I would come out of the gym literally pouring with sweat. When I'm at the gym my lifts are my focus and I try to avoid any distractions. Honestly, I think a routine like BGB or an Upper/Lower split is far superior to the above routine, but I started with this and I don't believe there's much benefit in switching things up all the time. I think you can grow whatever routine you're doing as long as you aren't overtaining, you're doing the major compound lifts and you're eating enough. Eating is such a huge part of the equation and most people really underestimate what it takes.

I've since started doing Bill Starr's 5x5 routine and my lifts are all going way up. After you finish getting use out of your beginner routine I highly recommend Bill Starr's routine. Squatting three times a week is making my legs and ass grow faster than ever before. I'm worried about the stretch marks that are creeping up, but I'm enjoying the progress too much to quit.

Ultimately, I think breaking my finger was a blessing in disguise because it got me to spend more time here, reading and researching to prepare for when I could finally get back to the gym. Without this site I would almost assuredly still be a skinny kid with zero confidence. I can't think you guys enough for that.

deeder
10-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Wicked progress man! Everything's looking larger!

fury
10-01-2006, 11:42 AM
ok, ur now the guy that im goin to look up 2, since ur bout my heite n weight..if i can make progress like that in the next 5 months, ill be extremely happy. btw how old ru

Tofer
10-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks man. PM me anytime and I'll help you out with whatever you need.

I just turned 20 last month.

Davidelmo
10-01-2006, 12:44 PM
DO you like being that tall or is it a massive pain in the arse?

Tofer
10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
It has its advantages and disadvantages.

I think it's a little more difficult to look like you're getting bigger when you're tall. For example, if I gain as many lbs of muscle at 6'5" as some guy who is 5'5", the second guy is obviously going to look like he's gotten bigger. I'm also not too fond of the he stretch marks you can probably see on my back, which showed up when I started growing taller. I've yet to find a car I can fit my legs under, so I always feel a little stiff after driving for prolonged periods of time.

All in all, though, I feel like being tall gives me a more intimidating presence, and I feel like girls tend to look my way because of my height, which is kinda nice.

Yah Yah
10-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey how did you keep it up? How did you keep yourself from slacking? I felt like crap today but i still did a bit of a workout. Didnt have much stamina though.

Ricky Bobby
10-01-2006, 08:17 PM
dude great improvements. Your quads and back look a lot better. keep up the good work. If your 226 now I think you will easily be able to carry 240.

Fuzzy
10-01-2006, 08:26 PM
Your def right bout the hight thing, Im one of the tller kids and sually the biggest kid in ost social gatherings.

People notice you, and girls love it when they have a big guy with them.

Then they feel all light and small when you pick em up, they melt when I do that.

Also random comment, good idea with growing your hair, you look more buff surfer in a way, then akwad nerd with the short hair.

Bohizzle
10-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm also not too fond of the he stretch marks you can probably see on my back, which showed up when I started growing taller.
The lines horizontally along the middle of ur back? if so, those look cool man, nothing to be worried about!

Andrew

Tofer
10-01-2006, 09:27 PM
wanna-be-bigger: The key is to find something that motivates you. In my case, having before pics to look at whenever I got down on myself, was enough to keep me going at first. After a while, it was the comments I kept getting from people (sometimes the most unexpected of people like neighbours I had never even talked to) that pushed me onwards. Now, it's just the fact that I love going to the gym and seeing my body change. I'm addicted to it.

Ricky Bobby: Thanks dude. I'm going to take it pretty slow to keep off the fat, if possible.

Fuzzy: Ha definitely. I've been getting that sense from girls a lot lately too. Especially the short asian girls.:) And thanks for the comment about the hair. I had short hair pretty much my entire life, and I never really felt like it looked good. Nerdy is definitely an appropriate word to describe it.

Andrew: Yeah, those damn horizontal lines... But thanks man. Back when I was 14 and I grew 9 inches over the summer, and they first appeared, they looked a lot worse than they do now. Hopefully they'll keep fading. Or maybe I'll just lie and start telling people they appeared because my back got wider.;)

Bohizzle
10-01-2006, 10:02 PM
or just say that u were having sex that was so awesome, the girl decided to scatch ur back real hard to let u know how good it was lol, it'll be a better conversation starter than "my back got wider":)

Andrew

K1M
10-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Erectors, delts, chest have exploded

HahnB
10-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Your back has improved so much as well as everything else.

Clifford Gillmore
10-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Your spinal erectors are massive!

Gabrielle
10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
wow, dude incredible gains....esp. for the time period. Did you grow at all? 40 lbs in 5 months is ridiculous. It looks like you gained 30 lbs of muscle. You should be proud of yourself, my friend. Great job, and props on keeping the diet clean the whole time. You motivate old timers like myself

Ruffian
10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Dude, coming froma chick.. i dunno why she would back you. Youve made HUGe progress. The only thing Im going to suggest is do some more work on your shoulders. AS I look through your routine I see you dont do anything specific to shoulders... Throw in some arnies if you only have room for one shoulder workout. It will make a difference and widen out your back some more. Doing a shoulder press, Arnies and Rear flies would probably work best. But Yeah..

Looking good!

Tofer
10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Andrew: Ha, nice I'll have to use that one at the beach next summer.

K1M: Thanks man. :)

HahnB: Thanks a lot. I pay special attention to my back because, after breaking two vertebrae and experiencing a lot of chronic pain since that, it's something that really needs to be strengthened to avoid further pain in the future.

Risk10k: Ha,it's funny you should say that because someone patted me on the back the other day and said the exact same thing.

Gabrielle: Nope, I didn't grow in height during the past five months. I think my days of growing taller are over (which might not be the worst thing). And thanks a lot for the kind words! It's still hard for me to believe how much weight I gained over that time, but it seems like it's even harder for others to believe. All the people I haven't seen for a while have been doing a double take when I see them around campus. It feels great and gives me further motivation to keep the diet clean and keep training hard.

Ruffian: I talked to the girl tonight and it seems like the whole thing was a big misunderstanding. I felt embarrassed about it for a few days there, but I'm ready to shrug it off now. No need to lose my newly gained confidence over one incident. And as for the shoulders, at the moment I'm basically following the Bill Starr routine to a t, and it's working well, so I'm going to lay off the direct shoulder work until I start a new routine. It also seems that too much direct shoulder work gives me shoulder pain. I may or may not start doing standing BB millitary press instead of incline bench, but that's probably the only change I'll make for now. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

Gabrielle
10-06-2006, 02:13 PM
wait till summer hits bro and you are cut down. Then you will really notice a huge difference. Great job on your new workout program selection. Bill Starr's 5x5 is a great program. Just be aware of the crazy frequency involved with 3x a week and adjust accordingly. Keep doing what you are doing

ViciousBish
10-07-2006, 02:40 PM
you look like a model now, jeez

McVein
10-07-2006, 02:45 PM
bit of a cameltoe in the very 1st pic.....

apart from that, great gains man.....and if u get rejected again, give me a call....

ddegroff
10-07-2006, 03:36 PM
lookin' good bro!

Keep bulking!

Tofer
10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Gabrielle: Thanks man. I need to start doing some research on cutting so I don't mess up. I'm probably going to start in January and do it nice and slow, but I guess it depends on when I reach my goal weight on this bulk. And yeah, I've been loving Bill Starr's program so far. I'm 7 weeks in now, and I've been hitting PR's non-stop for the past few weeks. It's starting to get really, really tough though!

ViciousBish: Ha, I'm not sure what you mean, but thanks.

McVein: Haha, wow I just noticed that. I mean, it's definitely the seam in the boxers but it seriously does look like a cameltoe.

ddegroff: That's the plan! Thanks. I noticed from your sig that your finger is fractured. That's rough, man. I was there not too long ago. Good luck on a quick recovery.

rookiebldr
10-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Cutting? You've really done a great job in such a short period of time. Keep adding to the mass. At you're height, you can easily carry a lot more weight esp when you've done so well in 4-5 months! Great work, dude.

Patz
10-09-2006, 10:55 PM
great great progress. you're no longer a skinny bitch..lol

i meant that in the nicest way!

nhlfan
10-09-2006, 11:27 PM
back and chest especially have seen serious gains, but everything else looks larger too. well done.

ps - i now know who you were on hhu

Jorge Sanchez
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
The stretch marks are a pain. I have some on each side of my groin from a growth spurt. I also have some massive ones coming out of each my armpits. They were getting so bad that I almost gave up the idea of getting any bigger.

My girlfriend then suggested that I try cocoa butter and my stretch marks haven't gotten noticeably bigger since.

Shatter
10-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Looking good... that's great progress.

If I can just add one thing, don't ever let one girl get your confidence down. Unfortunately, if it takes one girl to do that to you, then it's going to happen sooner or later. I am sure everyone has been shut down a few times. Think of it like bodybuilding. We all start with zero skill. Being shut down by a girl is not a reflection on you, your personality or looks, it's to do with your experience. The more we interact with girls, the more we improve. Maybe you should try a 5x5 routine.... go meet 5 girls, 5 times a week. You'll start to realise there's not much to it and I bet in 5 months you will have made just as progress as you have in the weights room. :)

Guido
10-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Excellent progress in such a short time! Most noticeable differences to me were legs, lats, chest, arms, and shoulders. That's just about everything that really matters right there. Very noticeable increase in thickness all around. You should take great pride in what you accomplishded.

temps
10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the insight and help! As I said before its inspirational and helps keeps me motivated. I also picked up the same thing you did. Just in a different packaging.

ddegroff
10-24-2006, 09:13 PM
ddegroff: That's the plan! Thanks. I noticed from your sig that your finger is fractured. That's rough, man. I was there not too long ago. Good luck on a quick recovery.

thanks bro! I've got about a week left till the splints are off.

zela
10-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Very nice man, you are looking great! This site is def motivating and you just contributed alot to keep me going!

miken5254
11-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Your added arm mass is very noticible, as well as your added hair mass.

RedSpikeyThing
12-03-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm a little behind the times, but holy crap!! I just saw you're pics!! You went from a skinny assed kid to a huge man! Dare I say it, you look like you should be modeling for Abercrombie or something ;)

galileo
12-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Excellent work. Be very proud!

LivinItUp
12-03-2006, 01:36 PM
yes dude u look great! tremendous size gain! may i ask why did the girl shut u down? hoes these days...

A. Girls are crazy
B. Hoes will be hoes
C. There's tons who want you
D. Your arms are poppin' outta your shirts now ;)

TwiloMike
12-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't know why you're self-conscoius, man. You have made significant and very very very noticeable progress. Your quads have come up very nicely, and so have your lats, chest, and delts. I'm 6'3 and also the lean type, so I understand that putting on mass isn't easy. I think you've done a great job and I'd be proud of such progress in such a short period of time. You're still fat free, which is awesome.

The last comparo looks funny- the boy on the left and the man on the right seem to have little in common, almost as though it's pics of brothers, not the same person. Also, since I'm used to associating your handle with your avatar I got a bit of an age shock seeing the pics. You've got great potential, imo, and you seem to be doing everything correctly based on the visible progress. :thumbup:

jkirkpatrick
12-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Better late than never - you look good. I think that your frame can handle another 20lbs easily. You're still very lean, IMO, so a bulk wouldn't hurt at all, assuming that you can live with the added fat for a bit. Your traps are lagging compared to the rest of your gains, but that points out that you've still got lots of room to put on some mass. Great job for such a short period of time. :thumbup:

Glad to hear you're on Starr's routine. It's working pretty good for me as well.

LivinItUp
12-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Better late than never - you look good. I think that your frame can handle another 20lbs easily. You're still very lean, IMO, so a bulk wouldn't hurt at all, assuming that you can live with the added fat for a bit. Your traps are lagging compared to the rest of your gains, but that points out that you've still got lots of room to put on some mass. Great job for such a short period of time. :thumbup:

Glad to hear you're on Starr's routine. It's working pretty good for me as well.

living with the added fat is soo worth it. Plus you can just wear button down shirts and look classy/preppy anyway, and it's bout winter time! Once you cut...you'll have the time of your life ;) Coming from a guy who was 225lbs last spring, and sittin at 190lbs right now. I just need to work up the courage to be a lil' fatty again, hah. It's tough for me.

Nicoman
01-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Hey lookin good man...you look like you are big when you wear a shirt so that is very good. Well done.

LOL who is the guy in your avatar?

ancom41
01-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Your legs are looking absolutely thick! Awesome progress.. were these the gains from the 5x5?

BFGUITAR
01-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I hope my before and after look as good on bill starr :p
So far ive gained 6 pounds in 7 weeks (really 8 but one week I was sick and coudnt eat much, o well).

Its not a pound a week but its still gains.

Tofer
01-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, this will probably be really long, but since you were all nice enough to take the time to comment, I think it's only fair that I respond to each one.

rookiebldr: Until the stretch marks started to accumulate I would have totally agreed with you. Oh well, it's not like I lost too much weight. And at least I was able to lose the body fat that was accumulating around my sides (and in my face haha).

mrelwooddowd: Ha, I'd say skinny bitch is putting it nicely.

Jorge Sanchez: For my current bulk I've started using cocoa butter for the stretch marks and so far so good. I just wish I would have taken your advice before I was forced into a cut for two months. But oh well, I would have had to cut the body fat eventually anyways, right?

Shatter: That's great advice man. I'm absolutely swamped by school work right now, but I'll definitely have to get more into the whole dating thing this summer.

Guido: Thanks, I try to train everything equally, and so far I've been growing pretty much all over at the same rate.

miken5254: Ha, I'm still going strong on my hair bulk. Forget cutting.

RedSpikeyThing: Well, I know the whole Abercrombie model comment is usually used as an insult around here haha, but I'll take it as a compliment. Thanks man.

galileo: Thanks man. I checked out your journal a couple days ago and it looks like you've been making excellent progress lately. Keep up the good work.

LivinItUp: I'd still really like to add a few inches to my arms, but they've never really been a focus.

TwiloMike: I really appreciate the kind words man. It's funny you should say that about the pic comparison because my parents said the exact same thing. It's funny for me to think that I looked like that only a year ago. And yeah, you're probably not the first person to associate my name with my avatar. I tend to do the same thing with other members too. I should probably get around to changing it some time. Maybe I'll do a progress update in the summer and change it then.

jkirkpatrick: Thanks dude. You're probably right about my traps, but I don't think I took a proper photo of them being flexed. I'll stick with the heavy deadlifts as usual and hopefully they'll catch up.

Nicoman: The guy in the avatar is Steve Zissou (the actor Bill Murray) from the Wes Anderson film "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou". It's my fave movie and Bill Murray is my fave actor. I think I use that pic for almost everything. :)

ancom41: Thanks man. I'd really like to add a few inches to my quads, so hopefully I can reach that goal by the end of my current bulk. I started the 5x5 routine in mid-August, so I think I was in Week 7 when these pics were taken. In total I gained 15 lbs while I was doing it, and my strength really took off compared to where I started.

BFGUITAR: That's really good progress. Have you stalled anywhere on your lifts or are you still setting new PR's each week?

My current plans are to slowly bulk up to 250 lbs over the next 4-6 months (after cutting, and then starting a bulk again at the beginning of January I'm at 218 lbs right now). I may throw a cut in there at some point, but only if it's necessary. I'm not too worried about having a "beach body" this summer. I'm just really focused on reaching my own size and strength goals.

Anyways, thanks again guys. This really is the best community I've come across on the internet. I owe a lot to the people here.

Killa Kurt
02-24-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm a little behind the times, but holy crap!! I just saw you're pics!! You went from a skinny assed kid to a huge man! Dare I say it, you look like you should be modeling for Abercrombie or something ;)

No homo?

Tofer
02-25-2007, 01:03 PM
No homo?
I don't get it...?

teaturtle
03-06-2007, 11:30 AM
wow youre very attratctive haha. :) im looking for that kinda change in 5 months, lol.

RicksTJR
03-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Man you can really tell a difference. Especially in your back man. Good work.

dabaugh
03-06-2007, 10:38 PM
wow dude you are an inspiration, literally. i started looking the same thing, im about 3 months in, im hoping to look like that afterwards....ive already gained 17lbs, but ill post the 5 mos pics, i hope you can give me your critique

SirPhil
03-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Phenomenal progress man. You're like my twin, I swear, I'm also around 6'5, but only around 211 lbs, you sort of even look like me, and my goal is also 240 lbs. I'm seriously gonna look up to you if I ever feel down, you're definitely my inspiration. Oh man, you're even following the same routine as me. That long post you wrote on the first page is probably among the best I've ever read. Keep up the good work man.

Guitar90
07-24-2007, 04:51 AM
How's your progress comin' along man? Got any more pics?

DeviceX
07-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Tofer man, you've inspired me.... At the end of summer I am going to start packing on the poundage. So Natty Butter built that eh?

*runs to the store and gets some pb*

naturally
08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
fantastic progress!