PDA

View Full Version : Diet increase in cals, should I change something?

skinnywilly
10-01-2006, 02:45 AM
So I planned out my meals per day and came up with some rough figures for my diet on lifting days. I was amazed at the numbers, should I be taking in this much of an increase in cals? Its almost a 45% increase in cals.

My maintainance is about 2500 cals, should I just this high this fast. I should note that about 2800 cals come from high calorie shakes, one in the morning and one at night.

Cals:5498
Fats:134
Carbs:383
Protein:484

McIrish
10-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Whoa there, I'm a bit confused - why are you consuming roughly 3,000 more calories on lifting days? I would probably shoot for somewhere around 500 > maintenance/day, regardless of whether it is a lifting day or not. If you'd like, maybe throw some extra calories (dextrose+whey, etc) in your PWO shake. Also, maybe skim down those morning/evening shakes that have 2,800 cals apiece.

K1M
10-01-2006, 04:21 AM
You are going to get very fat.

You have a 3000cal surplus, so you're almost putting on a pound a day. Over a month, you are gonna put on like 25lbs. Considering that an arbitary number for muscle gain is 2.5-3lbs a MONTH, I suggest you drop them cals to about 3000 :)

skinnywilly
10-01-2006, 03:51 PM
ok, so I making some changes to my diet. Cutting out some of the ingredients of those shakes. I hadn't ingested this many calories yet, and I knew this was way overboard. Thanks for the help.

K1M, can I ask how you figured that out, how do I calculate how much I am going to gain with calories?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-01-2006, 03:57 PM
K1M, can I ask how you figured that outYou said your maintenance was 2,500. Eating over maintenance is how you gain weight. You should only go over maintenance starting with...oh...500 calores...which equals 3,000.

how do I calculate how much I am going to gain with calories?You don't calculate anything. It's trial and error. You'll have to test out different caloric intakes and see how your body reacts.

5498 is nearly 3,000 calories over maintenance. A pound of fat is 3,500 calories. So if you're eating that much over maintenance, you're going to gain a LOT of fat in a short period of time.