PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Water While Eating = Bad?

Sincer
10-01-2006, 08:27 AM
My brother told me a while ago that his girlfriend's nutritionist said drinking water within 15min before or after eating lowers absorption of nutrients due to the dillution of the contents in the bowels or some such. Anyone ever heard anything about this? Seems odd to me, and I've never heard about it anywhere else.

whiteman90909
10-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Never heard of it.

DarrenEff
10-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Nutritionists are silly...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
^^

You're kidding, right? And that's "Nutritionists".

kaption
10-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Don't laugh at him guys, I have heard this theory as well. I am not going to follow it though. I don't think I could get all the food down that I want to with out a bevy.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-01-2006, 03:31 PM
There's a lot of recommended ways to go about eating, like how much you should chew your food before swallowing, but many people just don't care.

Steele
10-01-2006, 04:17 PM
The theory is based around it's because it's 'diluting the gastrointestinal acids', which leads to less effective digestion of foodstuffs.

-Steele

jkirkpatrick
10-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Ummm...I eat when I'm hungry and try to drink before I get thirsty. Hell, I've even done both at the same time if the food's too hot! Sometimes things get analyzed a bit too much.

teaturtle
10-02-2006, 05:06 AM
I heard it's better to drink 15-30 min after you eat, just for better and easier digestion. Never heard that you need to do it, just a suggestion.

Steele
10-02-2006, 05:13 AM
I firmly believe that there is no such thing as an absolute truth, what works for one may or may not work for another :p

-Steele

Clifford Gillmore
10-02-2006, 07:52 AM
My brother told me a while ago that his girlfriend's nutritionist said drinking water within 15min before or after eating lowers absorption of nutrients due to the dillution of the contents in the bowels or some such. Anyone ever heard anything about this? Seems odd to me, and I've never heard about it anywhere else.

Bull plop. Even if water could magically remove and disperse BCAA's, minerals, vitamens, or even macro-nutrients for that matter - Does this water suddenly get flushed through metres of water absorbing intestines, blood stream, kindneys to end up as bright yellow nutrient filled pee? BAH!

malkore
10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
funny, because I've always read you should drink at least an 8oz glass with every meal to improve digestion.

Steven.Gaskell
10-02-2006, 06:57 PM
My brother told me a while ago that his girlfriend's nutritionist said

lol :clown:

Mercuryblade
10-02-2006, 07:50 PM
The theory is based around it's because it's 'diluting the gastrointestinal acids', which leads to less effective digestion of foodstuffs.

Not saying you believe it, because the way your post is set up you obviously don't.
But there are so many things wrong with that idea.
Diluting an acid doesn't decrease its capacity. Lets say for an abritrary example you have 1 mol of HCL dissolved in half a liter of water in your stomach (this very simplified obviously). Your stomach acid would have a HCL concentration of 2 molar. If you added another half liter of water, your concentration is now 1 molar. Yes a drop of 1 molar acid would hurt less than 2 molar acid. But the total dissolved H+ content (its capacity to react), doesn't change, regardless of total volume.
Water is actually going to help absorb nutrients and minerals due to osmotic pressure.

HeavyBomber
10-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Ummm...I eat when I'm hungry and try to drink before I get thirsty. Hell, I've even done both at the same time if the food's too hot! Sometimes things get analyzed a bit too much.

No doubt.

Minotaur
10-03-2006, 08:57 AM

It's bull**** that won't go away.