PDA

View Full Version : Plyo For Punching Speed????

Skinny_DiezeL
10-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Ok, I know several guys who roll that do a lot of plyo for power in slams, and I know it works. I was wondering if it would work for building up punching speed?

any links on the subject would be greatly appreciated.....

Dinosaur
10-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Clapping push-ups are probably the simplest and most effective. Boxers have been doing them for years.

McVein
10-01-2006, 12:27 PM
lie on your back, medicine ball in hands....explode it up in a benchpress-esque fasihon....as high as you can, get a parter to stand over your head to canch it....drop it back oer your hands...repeat

also, punching drills under water

Skinny_DiezeL
10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
also, punching drills under water

i've seen a poster of ali doing this, but I'm not sure what fight it was for. Looked interesting, I might try it sometime. although would have to be in a heated pool, weather's getting a little chilly here.

McVein
10-01-2006, 01:48 PM
crazy americans and their outdoor pools....

Kevin89
10-01-2006, 02:28 PM
I know Matt Hughes does plyo, does it work for him? :o

Skinny_DiezeL
10-01-2006, 03:42 PM
gee, i wonder? :confused: lol

Kenshi
10-02-2006, 12:23 AM
To increase punch speed(or kicking speed, even..) you need to improve the level of efficiency in whcih it takes for the nerve-message to travel up and back down the circut.

To do that, you punch repeatedly to make the message go back&forth again and again so that such increase if efficiency can be achieved, from what i understand.

Thus, if you want to up the speed of your punching, do a lot of punches on the bag/arm movements that are the same as punching. Basically, anything that extends you arm almost completely forward and then back. The big thing is, is to train especially the "returning" motion. Anyone can whip their arm out quick, but I'm sure you could fill in the blank as to waht would happen if they weren't so great with the second part.

Further, if you really want to be fast&fluid with any striking movemnets you do, limber-up. Yeah strength=good, but the fact you can press 400 really doesn't do much if you're too stiff&awkward in your movements. Not to say the old wives tail muscle=slower, but mass does mean you do get 'tighter' predictably. So, counteract that by stretching as much if not moreso your whole body in additon to any other conditioning.

Hope it helps.

Reala
10-03-2006, 11:52 AM
Further, if you really want to be fast&fluid with any striking movemnets you do, limber-up. Yeah strength=good, but the fact you can press 400 really doesn't do much if you're too stiff&awkward in your movements. Not to say the old wives tail muscle=slower, but mass does mean you do get 'tighter' predictably. So, counteract that by stretching as much if not moreso your whole body in additon to any other conditioning.

True that... look at Amier Kahn... Probably the fastest and most powerful puncher in the game... unbelivable speed... think in his last fight he knocked the guy down and eventually out 3 times in 90 seconds... undefeated... 9 wins, 7 ko's

His arms are tiny:
http://stuarthughes.blogspot.com/amir%20khan%20olympics.jpg
But he is incredibly lean.

Would pay good money to know how he trains quickness ;p

Reala
10-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Ok question... what actually is Plyo... I though it was jumping over boxes? lol

Dinosaur
10-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Punching hard is a combination of technique, timing, mass, and explosiveness. Some very small guys have been tremendously powerful punchers. Joe Choynski is an excellent example. He never weighed more than 170 pounds yet regularly fought and beat heavyweights.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/images/JChoy2.jpg

As to "he should just work on technique", this is true but he was specifically asking for plyometrics, not just how to punch faster.

Skinny_DiezeL
10-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Ok question... what actually is Plyo... I though it was jumping over boxes? lol

well, thats an example. There's clapping push ups, medicine ball work, a lot of plyo exercises, I'll try to find a link worth visiting.http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw27.htm try this for an example.