PDA

View Full Version : At what weight should I start cutting?

BFGUITAR
10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Im 5'10.5, 18 years old, 165 pounds.

Im thinking I should start cutting at around 185-190? Or is that too little?

Holto
10-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Generally we go by bodyfat %.

Bulk to 15 cut to 10.

BFGUITAR
10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
How do I figure out my body fat %?

K1M
10-01-2006, 07:20 PM
If you're a newbie just lift and eat enough food to gain weight; your gains are going to be awesome. Don't sweat the other stuff.

BFGUITAR
10-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Dont sweat?
Well the more I know the better.

Ricky Bobby
10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Lift and eat. When you think you are starting to look a little to chubby for your taste then cut. This point is different for everyone. Some people need to see their abs others dont care.

Chris686
10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I really don't care about my abs that much, but I definitely don't want a gut that sticks out either.

TheGimp
10-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Numbers are irrelevant. Bulk until you can't stand the fat ass staring back at you in the mirror, then cut.

whiteman90909
10-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Numbers are irrelevant. Bulk until you can't stand the fat ass staring back at you in the mirror, then cut.
:withstupi Whatever makes you happy.

trader vlad
10-03-2006, 10:52 AM
so to start bulking i should be at 10%?

ShockBoxer
10-03-2006, 11:02 AM
It depends. It really, really depends. I'm starting my third slow micro-bulk and I've never been anywhere near 10% body fat. I just want to get stronger while keeping under 20% and frankly there's little/no visual difference between 14 and 18 so until I'm happy with my strength (I'll never be happy with my strength) I just don't see a point to getting below that point.

But if you want to look hard, ripped, chiseled, shredded, whatever then that's what you want and you have to go for it. I'm content with 'strong', which is how my girlfriend describes my appearance. Ripped will come later when I hit the point where I can't physically gain more than a pound or two of LBM a year.

ddegroff
10-03-2006, 04:22 PM
I agree with everybody who already posted.

It's really up too you, bulk till you feel too "fat", then shed some bf.

Holto
10-03-2006, 04:29 PM
so to start bulking i should be at 10%?

Generally speaking the leaner you are the more favourable the ratio of weight gained leans toward muscle.

Also, cutting will force you to learn things about nutrition and develop habits that will serve you well when bulking.

BFGUITAR
10-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Im want to finish my cut by the end of June, early July.
Id like to get to a point where i abs show by then. (im a lifegaurd, I dont want a flabby stomach)

Is this a realistic goal?

When exactly should I stop bulking and start cutting to meet such a deadline?

BFGUITAR
10-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Any help?

ddegroff
10-05-2006, 02:08 PM
It's hard to say.

Is it a realistic goal? who knows, how clean of bulk did you do? How much weight did you gain? How fast did you gain the weight?

Bulk for five months @ 1lb/per week = ~20lbs gain

Now how much of that is muscle vs. fat, thats hard to know, depends on so many variables.

Its well known that <10% bf you will see your abs. Your questions are so vague.

BFGUITAR
10-05-2006, 04:42 PM
I want a clean bulk and to maximize my LBM gain.

In the past 3 monthes of gained a good 20-25 pounds. I could keep bulking until late January and tha begin to cut then.
I just want to look good for the summer, thats my ultimate goal.

ShockBoxer
10-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Ok, you gained 20 to 25 pounds in 3 months. That's two pounds a week... and I strongly guess that ain't all muscle no matter how new to things you are. Do you really want to put another 20 to 25 on and the have to lose 20 or 30 of pure fat (unless you have god's own genetics) from January to spring break (or summer break)?

I'd cut now, get myself rippling abs for a christmas gift if that's what I liked (it's not), then consider doing a slow bulk. The less you have to diet the happier you will be and the happier your metabolism will be.

You're not me, though, and I'm not you. You want to have to lose 25 or 30 pounds from January to June (certainly possible... lots of guys do it) then go for it. I couldn't stand dieting that long.

BFGUITAR
10-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Im still only 160-165 pounds and 5'10.5
And I have alot of time...

Ok, if I were to continue bulking until lets say 175-180 where I start cutting, what should be my target weight at the end of the cut?
I assume it goes by bf %... how do I effectively judge that?

Im actually thinking of bulking until Janurary... ive lost 25 pounds before (and it was fat that I had for years, making it harder to lose. Not even mentioning how bad my endurance and eating habits were).

Im just kind of new to the whole bulking/cutting thing. I need to learn :)

Murmur
10-06-2006, 02:54 AM
If your worried about your abs cut now. Deplete your calorie intake by about 500 calories before your maintenance level. Your maintenence level will decrease as you progress through your cut. You can do this from now until just before Thanksgiving and maybe lose 7-9 pounds. After that do a "clean" bulk for 3 months(1 lb. per week) for a 13 lb. gain.

A more reachable goal for a "lean" body for the summer would be around 175. After all, you were about 140 lbs. 3 months ago.

ShockBoxer
10-06-2006, 04:57 AM
Yeah, I know you're light and all (I'm about 160, give or take two pounds, and I'm six inches shorter, 16% body fat) but even still... fat is fat is fat. The more you have, the longer it will take to reveal your glorious abs (provided you have the genetics for glorious abs). If you think you can do it then you can.

I'm not trying to change your mind, though: you've obviously chosen a direction (maintained that you want to bulk through til January through all your posts). Bulk on, mighty warrior of iron.

BFGUITAR
10-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Clean bulks ensure that ill gain muscle and less fat?
So if I lose the fat now and do a clean bulk, Ill gain 13lb of mostly muscle?

Is my logic correct? lol

ddegroff
10-06-2006, 10:08 AM
You will gain both eighter way.

The leaner you are the less fat you'll put on. But genetics will play a role also.

BFGUITAR
10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Well theres a tendancy in my family to go both ways. If I dont take care of myself, I WILL get fat. On the other hand, if I do take care of myself I will look really good.

The thing is, I may have gained 20-25 pounds but I still dont look fat at all. I still have a very flat stomach.
When I start seeing a decent amount of excess fat on my tummy, I think im going to cut.

Thanks for thehelp guys, I needed it.