PDA

View Full Version : decent starting macronutrient ratio

rapidride3
10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
I have played with fitday and entered an old basic diet i used to be on. I will only using this diet for a starting diet. My ratios have fallen at 52%carbs,,,32%protein and 16%fats. I won't begin to play with calories or carbs until 2-3 months or whenever my body adjusts. Is this a decent starting point for ratios for a general bodybuilding diet?????

K1M
10-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Can you give us actual numbers in grams of the macros? Also your body stats.

rapidride3
10-02-2006, 09:48 AM
right now i weigh 212 lbs. I eventually would like to get down around 180-190 lbs for now. I am 32 and 5'8'' I am starting at around 2,560 calories 379g carbs, 210g protein, and 46g of fat. I figure i have enough carbs so that if and when i decide to cut i can cut those first without any problem???

Also i have been on 6-month junk food haven tour,,,, if with this diet i am better recieving proper amounts of carbs , protein , and fats (not 150g of fat a day) shouldn't i maintain my strength and muscle size even on less calories???? It would seem that way to me since i am not putting "wasted calories of fat in my body that i cannot use for growth(such as huge amounts of fat and simple sugars)????? Just wondering and thanks for taking interest in my diet.

Unreal
10-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories do. Lower your carbs, up your fat. Fat does all sorts of good stuff for your body.

Also, your numbers have to be off. 379x4+210x4+46x9 is more then 2560 cals.

rapidride3
10-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Hmmm fit day came up with 2,566,,the above formula came up to around 2,760 cals. Which is more accurate?

DoUgL@S
10-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Your fats are way to low. If your fats are too low you will affect hormone production You will want to take in around ~90g fat assuming your around 20%bf. What is your bf%? Adjust your carbs accordingly. Protein looks fine.

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 11:07 AM
Hmmm fit day came up with 2,566,,the above formula came up to around 2,760 cals. Which is more accurate?

Fitday. I believe it ignores fibre, since it doesn't actually get used for calories (I think).

rapidride3
10-02-2006, 12:40 PM
my bodyfat is approx 18-20% So am i alright to use fitdays calculated calories even though it ignores fibre??? or should i calculate my calories by the formula???? Also i can easliy up my fat intake if 46 grams isn't enough. However,, if i se after a few weeks that i am taking in too many calories,,, should i drop carb calories or fat caLORIES??? tHANKS tO all who are helping me sort these things out. This is why i never stay on a calculated diet too long,, i am determined to know what exactly is going in the bod,, once i find that out for sure,, i guess the rest is just tweaking/tuning??????

Built
10-02-2006, 12:42 PM
my bodyfat is approx 18-20% So am i alright to use fitdays calculated calories even though it ignores fibre??? or should i calculate my calories by the formula???? Also i can easliy up my fat intake if 46 grams isn't enough. However,, if i se after a few weeks that i am taking in too many calories,,, should i drop carb calories or fat caLORIES??? tHANKS tO all who are helping me sort these things out. This is why i never stay on a calculated diet too long,, i am determined to know what exactly is going in the bod,, once i find that out for sure,, i guess the rest is just tweaking/tuning??????

What do you mean "calculated diet" - are you trying to use a formula to come up with the number of calories you should be eating? 'Cause that's not it.

Read the diet link in my sig (red link).

rapidride3
10-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Correct thats not it based on the formula,,, it is what fitday figures less fiber. I will read your red sig

DoUgL@S
10-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Correct thats not it based on the formula,,, it is what fitday figures less fiber. I will read your red sig

Where you start out is arbitrary. At 210 most would say to start out at 3000 cals, and adjust every 2 weeks depending on whether you have gained, stayed the same or lost. If you decide to start at 2500 cals you would need around 180g prot (720 cals), and 90g of fat (810 cals), and make up the remaining 970 cals with whatever you want (protein, fat carbs, whatever). Track your weight and bf% for 2-4 weeks, if you are not loosing 1-2 lbs per week then you need to cut cals further, if you are loosing more than 2 lbs per week you need to raise your cals. Its that simple.

rapidride3
10-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks darknight,, that sounds easy enough. I'll just be disciplined and patient and see where i am in a few weeks as far as bodyweight.

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks darknight,, that sounds easy enough. I'll just be disciplined and patient and see where i am in a few weeks as far as bodyweight.

LOL it's so easy on paper....

rapidride3
10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
i guess so spikey,,,oh well i am an ex wrestler who is used to not eating but 500-700 calories a day WITH very strenuous activity . So i hope dieting won't be too bad for me. One more question i realize i want to try and lose 1.5-2.5 lbs a week,,,,,However is it normal when first going on a diet to lose a little more than that for say the first week or 2 because of the lower salt and sugar content etc. than a junkfood diet??

RedSpikeyThing
10-03-2006, 09:05 AM
i guess so spikey,,,oh well i am an ex wrestler who is used to not eating but 500-700 calories a day WITH very strenuous activity . So i hope dieting won't be too bad for me. One more question i realize i want to try and lose 1.5-2.5 lbs a week,,,,,However is it normal when first going on a diet to lose a little more than that for say the first week or 2 because of the lower salt and sugar content etc. than a junkfood diet??

Yes, you will drop a bunch of weight fast at first. It is water weight, and it's loss could be related to lower salt, but more likely due to lower carb intake. Salt isn't bad for you unless you have a pre-existing blodd pressur condition.

Unreal
10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes, you may see a few extra pounds the first week from a drop in water weight as you deplete your glycogen stores.

Built
10-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Keep your salt up on a cut - it helps!