PDA

View Full Version : Missed my squat PR...again *sigh*

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 11:05 AM
So here's the deal. I started westside about a month ago. I found my squat max to be 265. Two weeks later I tried to hit a PR at 275 and missed. I did a few things wrong:
- I did a single at 265, which probably killed my chances of hitting 275
- I was a little dehydrated (read: hungover)

Two weeks after that (yesterday) I tried 275 again. I bombed it. I got maybe 3" out of the hole and it felt like I was squatting a house. I have a couple of excuses, though I'd rather find weaknesses and fix those.
Excuses:
- I was doing a lot of running the night before (massive game of capture the flag)
- I did a single at 250, which may have been a little high

Weaknesses:
- My back felt like **** during the squat
- Maybe quads?

I think I'm going to do some heavier back work (sets of, say, 8-10 hypers instead of 15) and do some more direct squat work. None of this zercer, front, or hack BS - I think I should practice the regular squat.

So to all of you heavy squatters out there: what should I do? How should I structure my warmups?

WBBIRL
10-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Personally, I've hit 405 off a box yet bombed 365 free. Which I latter realized was due to cardio the day before.

I'll have days where 225x10 is gravy and then 250x5 is murder the next day. Some days I can only get 315 once, yet other 3-5 times is do able.

Give it two weeks and go at er again, do you grip very close on the bar... they say that helps your back stay tight.

drew
10-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Squats are a funny mistress. Some days the weight feels light as ever and everything flies up (I call those phantom days, because they're rare and you never see them coming). Some days evreything is normal, and some days EVERYTHING feels heavy (I call these balls-out days). It's on those heavy killer days that you really have to get your head into it, and knuckle under. If you get 3" off the box, you CAN lock the weight out. Just fight it like it's a damn car on top of your mom or sister or daughter, whatever you have to do. When the weight fells heavy, LET IT feel heavy, but don't let it beat you. Tell the damn bar "Look, I know you're heavy, but you can't beat me bitch!" than kill it.

Now, get to work on your hamstrings and lower back. Heavy GMs for triples and 5s, Heavy SLDLs, Dimel deads, pullthroughs, GHRs if possible, back raises. Whatever it takes to get your hamstrings and lower back up to speed.

Now, the next time you go into the gym to squat, forget about the numbers, just squat. Start with the bar, add a quarter, then a plate, then a quarter, then a plate, then some 10s then some 10s, just keep going until you can't go anymore. If you miss, regroup, figure out what you did wrong (trust me, there's ALWAYS something you could have done better) and get back under the weight and DESTROY IT!!!

Happy lifting.

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the motivation guys! It felt really weird because I went trough the 250 like butter. The plates bounced at the top!

If you miss, regroup, figure out what you did wrong (trust me, there's ALWAYS something you could have done better) and get back under the weight and DESTROY IT!!!

Do you mean on the same workout? I was under the impression that once you make a PR attempt (whether hit or miss) you should stop there.

I'm also finding that GMs aren't hitting my hams so much as my back - would that be a form issue?

drew
10-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I mean on the same workout. Here's my personal deal. If I miss a PR attempt, I almost always try again (unless I'm hurting or have some other very good reason to stop). About once out of every 5 workouts I'll get the PR on the second (or even 3rd) try. The others I will fail. However, I'm still straining under heavy weight because I DO NOT want to lose the weight a 2nd time, so I try even harder. It's like a switch goes off that won't let me quit.

GMs tend to hit my back more than Hams as well. You may just have really flexible hams. Remember to keep tight and arch your back and push your hips WAY back (don't just bend over at the waist).

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I mean on the same workout. Here's my personal deal. If I miss a PR attempt, I almost always try again (unless I'm hurting or have some other very good reason to stop). About once out of every 5 workouts I'll get the PR on the second (or even 3rd) try. The others I will fail. However, I'm still straining under heavy weight because I DO NOT want to lose the weight a 2nd time, so I try even harder. It's like a switch goes off that won't let me quit.

How much time do you leave between sets? I usually feel ok after about a minute or 2, but should I rest more?

GMs tend to hit my back more than Hams as well. You may just have really flexible hams. Remember to keep tight and arch your back and push your hips WAY back (don't just bend over at the waist).

No, definately don't have flexible hams - I can't touch my toes! In any vids I've seen of them, they bend their knees. I find it hits my hams a lot harder when I don't bend my knees, but for some reason I thought that it ws unsafe to do them straigh legged...

drew
10-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I take about 5 minutes between my heaviest sets, and up to 10 minutes if I'm going to re-take a PR weight.

You can do them straight legged if it works better for you. Really no danger there.

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
I take about 5 minutes between my heaviest sets, and up to 10 minutes if I'm going to re-take a PR weight.

That might be part of the problem - I don't rest long enough. The BBer in me says "go now you pussy!"

drew
10-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Rest more on your heavy sets. Time it if you must. try to go at least 3 minutes.

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Rest more on your heavy sets. Time it if you must. try to go at least 3 minutes.

I think I will next time. Thanks for the help!

Nik00117
10-02-2006, 12:57 PM
When I max ou t on squats I normally keep it fast, and explosive, chugging LOTS OF WATER! Like example this is how a squat max out would work for me
1x8 @ bar
1x8 @ 135
1X4 @ 225 (Warm up period is over)
1x1 @ 245
1x1 @ 260
1x1 @ just increase weight by 20 lbs for the first few reps then go down to 10, and if you fail, go back and try again determined as god himself. I remember on my 315 max out attempt I failed. I looked at it, went ok again bitch! Hit the weight and hit it twice. Also maybe wait more then 2 weeks? Give it maybe 4 or 5 weeks keep training at squats etc then go back and hit the weight.

Sensei
10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
3 minutes??? I take at least 10 minutes between really heavy sets. If I'm using equipment, it'll be longer.

Nik00117
10-02-2006, 01:54 PM
10 mins? I was told to hit them heavy and fast...

SaVvY
10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
after i read 'i have a couple of excuses' i lost all interest

drew
10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
3 minutes??? I take at least 10 minutes between really heavy sets. If I'm using equipment, it'll be longer.
Well, I mean a minimum of 3 minutes, since he said he has the bber mentality of jumping right back in. If you read my earlier post, I said 5-10 minutes on the top sets.

Chris686
10-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I wait when going for a PR for as long as I need to. Don't try again until you feel ready.

Also, if I happen to hit a PR, I may try 5 more pounds depending on how I feel, and if I miss it I'll always try one more time, or maybe two.

Dinosaur
10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Try only five more pounds instead of 10 and don't do as much work beforehand.

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 05:19 PM
after i read 'i have a couple of excuses' i lost all interest

Did you happen to read the remainder of the sentence?

I have a couple of excuses, though I'd rather find weaknesses and fix those.

bics56
10-02-2006, 05:22 PM
seriously if you do not max out a lot (like me as well) it can be over 50% a mind game. If you can get your mind 100% then it makes it a lot easier...then you have to hope your body is 100% as well on that given day. I say just keep at it...I am sure your body is able to do it just you have yet to try it on the "right" day

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Ok so I put everyone's advice to work tonight, but on bench. I cleared my PR by 10 lbs!! It felt like it took hours to get the weight off my chest, but I kept going and eventually made it. I would have pussed out before, but I friggin' gave 'er and it worked! Now I know what "heavy" feels like.

Westsidemonster
10-04-2006, 03:56 AM
Stop drinking! You were weak because you were hung over! Where is your discipline?

Clifford Gillmore
10-04-2006, 05:24 AM
You can't rush Powerlifting, you need those ten , fifteen, twenty minutes to let your internal organs stop bleeding and pull themselves together :D

I'm guilting of rushing it, If I had a decent mp3 player I'd be swell. I'd sleep in the rack if I could.

RedSpikeyThing
10-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Stop drinking! You were weak because you were hung over! Where is your discipline?

Or I could enjoy my stay at college by drinking every now and then. Also please note that I've hit deadlift PRs on hangovers.

WBBIRL
10-04-2006, 10:03 AM
2 mins is the most I usually wait, on heavy sets beyond 3PPS ill wait 3 mins but thats usually it.

Westsidemonster
10-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Or I could enjoy my stay at college by drinking every now and then. Also please note that I've hit deadlift PRs on hangovers.
How come anyone be strong when they are hung over?? I'm so f**king weak when I'm hung over it's not even funny! But then again, I'm not used to drinking...

Dinosaur
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
I set a farmer's PR while totally hung over. It happens. My best Marine Corps PFT I ran while I was hung over too.

RedSpikeyThing
10-06-2006, 08:57 AM
How come anyone be strong when they are hung over?? I'm so f**king weak when I'm hung over it's not even funny! But then again, I'm not used to drinking...

I've been very hungover enough times that I've learned how to deal with them, especialy in the "drinking lots of water the night before" category. Plus I went to the gym late the next day.

Guido
10-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I did Army PT tests hung over sometimes and most of the time I didn't do too badly. Hydrating enough definitely seemed to help.

drew
10-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Setting PRs while still drunk, now THAT is good times.

Westsidemonster
10-09-2006, 12:56 AM
anyone can be strong while drunk...duh!...that doesn't count...

drew
10-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Every PR counts.

dw06wu
10-10-2006, 11:08 AM
i find that exploding it out of the rack as hard as you can really helps it to not feel like a ton of bricks while you setup before you lower yourself into the hole.

edit - word up to the hungover pr crew. i set my bench pr hungover and dehydrated after a fraternity football game.

RedSpikeyThing
10-14-2006, 06:46 PM
I tried a 5 lb PR at 270 today, which failed again. I think I know what the problem is: I've gone to a PL style, from a BB style. This involves my back a lot more, which is where I'm failing (I seem to fall forward). I'm going to pretend my max is 250 and start from there. I'm also going to bust my ass on GMs to get my back and hamstrings up to par.

Thanks all for the advice and motivation - I've got a long way to go!