PDA

View Full Version : how strict are you guys on your diet

someoneunlikeyo
02-05-2002, 12:07 AM
I am doing the 6 meal a day thing with portions of protien and carbs and am wondering how good you guys keep to it. do you put the mayo on the sandwitch, do you put the salad dressing on the lettece and drink the odd pop, like stay in bounds but are close to stepping out of play. do you think cheating alittle bit really matters as long as you get the jist of it. what do you people think about this, am I just clueless or in need of alittle explaining.

Thanks,
someone

Shocker
02-05-2002, 12:58 AM
I try to make a point of eating a little bit of crap each week, so that my body doesn't get too shocked by it - like an immunisation.

Tryska
02-05-2002, 06:45 AM
some weeks i'm pretty strict, some weeks i'm not so strict. I don't let it bother me one way or the other. Life is for living, and you can't really be a slave to your diet, imo.

Pup
02-05-2002, 06:53 AM
Yup, don't get too tangled up in ratios and other stuff, just try to eat relatively clean and let yourself splurge once in a while.

beercan
02-05-2002, 08:31 AM
I agree with Tryska and Pup.

You see a lot of people doing these "revolutionary" new diets, the funny thing is, they don't even look good.

I'll eat my mac and cheese and have sex while you "manipulate your hormones through diet", and I'll still look better.

IMO, if you're that strict with your diet, you'd better be in contest shape, otherwise, you must have the genetics of a mongoloid, and the smarts to match, for not enjoying food.

mr_hand
02-05-2002, 08:37 AM
So are you guys saying that you dont count cals? I think that is the biggest pain in the ass of a diet. Is it possible, to kind of guess on cals per meal? Is counting your cals really that neccessary? It seems a lot of people just say eat clean, and you'll be fine.

Tryska
02-05-2002, 08:45 AM
for the first month or so of dietig I counted cals....and it helped me figure out roughly what a 2000 kcal day looked like....now I'm so in the habit, i know how to do it, without worrying about macros and cal counts and yadda yadda yadda...

beercan
02-05-2002, 08:57 AM
If I'm getting down to 6% bf, I count calories.

It's easy to stay in decent shape without it, if you know what you're eating.

Frankster
02-05-2002, 09:11 AM
Yeah, like beercan said, just eat and have sex

IceRgrrl
02-05-2002, 09:26 AM
I'd say I still to my diet pretty well about 90% of the time. There are days/meals that come up where just don't worry about it and just get back to the plan right afterwards.

I'm keeping track of cals/macro percentages right now b/c I'm cutting and I like using data to tell me how I'm doing. It also helps me plan ahead and make sure I'm getting what I think I am.

Alex.V
02-05-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by beercan

I'll eat my mac and cheese and have sex while you "manipulate your hormones through diet", and I'll still look better.

Too bad about the face, tho....

;) But I agree with the rest of it. About 60% of my diet is planned. The other 40%? Not so much. I combine fat and carbs, I eat unbalanced meals, I eat bread and consume dairy. But somehow it still comes together...

heathj
02-05-2002, 09:30 AM
Exactly 60% huh...good job!

Slim Schaedle
02-05-2002, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty strict now, but it took a long time to build up to it. I said this in another thread but i started out in high school eating microwave meals like healthy choice stuff all the time b/c i just looked at the protein content. Now, since my base here doesn't have a chow hall, I am forced to buy everything so i became more and more strict. So, my diet basically evolved from learning more and experience. If you set your mind to it, it's really not that hard. I don't forget the cheat day though.

reso
02-05-2002, 10:05 AM
i think i am strict,as long as i get in good clean food ,but i dont know everyday the carbs seem different with the meals but are low so i hope this wont effect my goals........ its harding keeping the same meals everyday...might miss a carb here or there but as long as i get my protein

i use 1tbsp sugar free jam with my cottage cheese for flavor
1teaspoon and 1teaspoon ketchup mixed togather for toppin on chicken ,very low carb like 3 i guess nothing bigg..

milk in my coffee sometimes

coolwhip helps,sugarfree gum
weekeneds i enjoy a bagel

beercan
02-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Belial

Too bad about the face, tho....

LOL I hit ronan with that everytime he posted a pic

ericg
02-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Im strict right now. I think I have to be in order to reach my goal. No I am no way near contest shape. Im trying to get down to about 13% BF (or until I am happy). The first couple of weeks I kept on switching meals and figuring the numbers; now I just eat the same food everyday (for the most part) and add more here or there to get my macros where they should be. The point is, once you have counted cals and figured out the macros for a couple of weeks, you have a dam good idea what is going in your mouth.

In your original post you mentioned that you use mayo in a sand and dressing on a salad.....

What are your goals?? If you are trying to cut I suggest that you count those cals for a couple of days and see what you are just sweeping under the carpet (or to your love handles).

CBates
02-05-2002, 11:03 AM
When I want my abs to be pretty visible I'm on a stricter diet than usual. When I don't care, I eat clean with a few cheat days/meals a week.

Praetorian
02-05-2002, 11:06 AM
eat to live not live to eat...

Neil
02-05-2002, 11:17 AM
I'm pretty srtict. I eat 6 meals a day not counting my postworkout drink, with 2 of them coming from meal replacements. I'd have to give my diet credit for most of my recent gains. I do cheat on Sundays though, and I usually go all out. I've still managed to drop about 4% bf in the last 4 months or so, which wasn't really one of my highest priorities. I think a lot of people on this forum overlook the importance of diet. I see a lot of people asking how they can get over a training plateau and all everyone gives is training advice. Remember your only as strong as your weakest link and if your diet sucks than your results will reflect on that.

TreeTrunks
02-05-2002, 12:17 PM
I just had my cheat meal. Spagetti (sp) and a bowl of ice cream. Thats probably the last cheat meal until next tues.

Severed Ties
Depends in the summer I like to keep my bodyfat under 6% so my diet is excellent just about everyday.

But like 'Can said you have to live and enjoy food so I may drink at night or go to an expensive dinner, when occasions arise then enjoy but I don't eat off my planned meals just cause I'm pressed for time or have work.

ST

Slim Schaedle
eat to live not live to eat...
I agree with centaurion 99 %
I try to view food as fuel for my body, thats all
The other 1% is for fun
:D

DelveyBoy
02-05-2002, 12:35 PM
i eat when ever im hungry and before and after workout. try and get as much protein and carbs before a workout and high calories during the other meals

Praetorian
02-05-2002, 01:35 PM
finally someone who agrees with me :evillaugh

someoneunlikeyo
02-05-2002, 03:12 PM
hello everyone,

I guess what I've got out of this thread is that some people count every cal and some people load up on everything, but I'd say the majority are doing what I thought is the best by staying basically on track, having one free day to eat whatever and somedays juring the week add that slice of cheese on or add the salad dressing. as for what works the best, I think its the amount of time and effort you put into it.
as for erieg's question, I am fairly skinny and am looking for bigger frame and definition of course.

Thanks for the help,
someone

tikkirulz
02-05-2002, 03:12 PM
I live by my diet most of the time. I eat the same crap every day.

But as a reward for my good job, I did go home from school this weekend in partake in the most godly chinese buffet on earth. I won't lie. I ate 3 plates which probably equated to my daily food intake for two days :)

Oh well. It tasted good dammit.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-05-2002, 03:19 PM
The problem with not being so strict - odd mayo here, pop there - is that these little bits add up and you may find yourself taking longer to reach your goals then you otherwise would have took, definately when cutting at least.

If on a gaining phase don't worry so much.

MWB
02-05-2002, 03:45 PM
I agree with TCD, those little extras, mayo, salad dressing, cheese, can easily add up to an extra 500 cals a day. If you are trying to lose fat, you have to figure these in.

You said that you are skinny though, I would just eat if you are looking to get bigger.

notSoBig Guy
02-05-2002, 11:37 PM
I'm really strict, I only go to Burger King 4 times a week now, hard being this dedicated to my cut diet.

I'm fom Calgary too, welcome.

Slim Schaedle
02-06-2002, 07:06 AM
Wow man, hitting burger king 4 times a week while cutting eh?.....I hope you are either being sarcastic, or you're one skinny mofo:cool:

mr_hand
02-06-2002, 08:41 AM
Sure I understand that the little things like mayo, and salad dressing add up, but if Im not correct, everyone has been saying you still need to eat a good amount of cals, even while on a cutting diet. So in the long run, I would think you would need a little mayo or salad dressing to help out with your cals.