PDA

View Full Version : Burritos

Vita
10-02-2006, 12:12 PM
i just made a batch to replace my aging lunch with something more healthy and calorie dense.

-3 lbs. ground beef, browned
-3 cups rice
-1 can black beans
-3 peppers of your choice (bell peppers, i used green, yellow and orange)
-1 small yellow onion
-1 pack of burrito seasoning (2 could be used in a batch this large)
-1 pack of shredded cheese
-two 8 packs of tortillias (large)

i browned the ground beef, cooked the rice, cut up the veggies, tossed everything into the vat of rice and stirred up.

this made enough for me to eat 2 decent sized burritos for lunch every day of the week. so far, much more satisfying than my staple diet of 2 sandwhiches, some carrots, some string cheese, and something miscellaneous. easy to do, and will keep long.

FYI - i made the vat of goodness, then made all the burritos and store them in the freezer in a sandwhich baggie. take them and toss in the microwave at lunch time (or whenever you're hungry).

you can add whatever you want, or take out whatever you want. perfect for those with little time to make good meals daily...

JERNIGAN78
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
are they really healthy? im not to knowledgeable on whats healthy. but I love burritos's. I really like Carne Asada!!!

someoneunlikeyo
10-04-2006, 06:56 PM
whats a vat exactly? so you stew everything together in this vat? can you explain the steps after you brown the hamburger and cook the rice.

thanks

Vita
10-05-2006, 08:11 AM
whats a vat exactly? so you stew everything together in this vat? can you explain the steps after you brown the hamburger and cook the rice.

thanks

a big pot. once the beef and rice is cooked, you just mix everything else in.

as far as being healthy, you could go as lean as possible with the beef and stay away from the canned black beans (or use whatever other kinds of beans, if any) and use raw beans that you have to cook. feel free to use whole grain rice. i use white rice because that's what we have at home. ocne it's gone i'll be switching the household over to whole grain (my wife loves me enforcing healthier foods...).

i figure they're pretty healthy all things considered. you could go to taco bell!?!

i eat two of these for lunch and they're pretty healthy. the whole mix made me 14 burritos. not huge but not small.

RedSpikeyThing
10-05-2006, 08:14 AM
are they really healthy? im not to knowledgeable on whats healthy. but I love burritos's. I really like Carne Asada!!!

It's all whole food, not fried in any extra oil - so yes it is healthy.

A vat is a big pot. He's being fecious - 3 cups of rice + 3 lbs beef + lots of veggies = a LOT of food.

As for the steps, it's pretty easy. Cook the veggies - either steam them or fry them in the remainder of the fat from the beef. That's it. Mix everything together. Make burrito. Eat.

ddegroff
10-05-2006, 09:47 AM
These sound good, might have to try these.

Vita
10-09-2006, 10:15 AM
toss a little salsa in for flavor too! last batch was awesome...

temps
10-12-2006, 08:44 PM
make that picante! just made a batch of this and they are awesome! i added pinto beans and sour cream.

IZich
10-13-2006, 01:48 AM
Do you have any idea of the ballpark macros, either for the whole batch or for each individual burrito? cals/fat/protein/carbs would be REALLY nice :D. Thanks.

Vita
10-13-2006, 11:00 AM
not a clue. i'm sure you could find out easy enough via fitday!

IZich
10-13-2006, 12:47 PM
:p

Vita
10-16-2006, 08:33 AM
:p

lol!

i'm too lazy to even find out for myself (though i'm also not too concerned either)...

powerrack
10-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Good bulking food!

Organichu
10-17-2006, 05:21 AM
I don't like beans in burritos, so I left them out of the recipe. I made the rice and the tortillas whole wheat, and assumed lean beef and lean cheddar cheese. I came up with this for the nutritional information:

Total calories: 6485
Total grams of fat: 230
Total grams of carbs: 776
Total grams of protein: 399

Calories/per: 405
G of Fat/per: 14
G of Carbs/per: 48.5
G of Protein/per: 25

Carbs/Protein/Fat:
43/25/32

FREAKZILLA
10-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow I think I may tru this out tonight!

Vita
10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
also very tasty with mozzarella cheese and taco seasoning in liu of burrito seasoning.

Vita
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
word to wise...

dont' overcook beef. i was doing 10 things at once when i made them this past weekend and now i'm stuck with near 2 weeks of burritos with overcooked beef and they're not nearly as good, in fact i have trouble shoving them down, but it must be done. be warned...

nthorpe
11-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Dya think these could be made with chicken? Also in the UK we dont have ground beef...Is it just minced beef? ;)

RedSpikeyThing
11-30-2006, 12:34 PM
^ Yes and yes.

xstalkrx
12-03-2006, 10:52 AM
pack of burrito seasoning....

what does that mean exactly

what else can i do to seaon the meat?

FREAKZILLA
12-03-2006, 01:43 PM
I made these last week using low fat mozzorella, whole wheat tortillas, and tao seasoning. They tatsted great. Very good recipie.

xstalkrx
12-03-2006, 11:25 PM
so you make the meat in one skillet...

and the rice in another pan...

then combine the two together?

FREAKZILLA
12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
so you make the meat in one skillet...

and the rice in another pan...

then combine the two together?

That's exactly what I did. I made everything spererate and then mixed them all in one skillet when done.

xstalkrx
12-12-2006, 11:35 PM
That's exactly what I did. I made everything spererate and then mixed them all in one skillet when done.

I have never cooked onions..or peppers before...and the beef I get is very lean and does not have left over grease.

how do i cook the peppers and onions...and when do i cook them and with which pan? In the rice pan? the beef pan?

lol sorry i have no cooking experience.

robinhood
12-15-2006, 01:56 PM
This is similar to a recipe I do except I usually use ground beef or I make shredded chicken

Tacklebait
12-18-2006, 11:55 PM
This thread just made me hungry... really hungry

it hurts

robinhood
12-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I just wanted to reiterate how good these are. I just made them over the weekend after reading this thread and boy are they delicious. I used ground turkey instead of beef, whole weat tortillas (burrito size), whole pinto beans, green, red, and yellow peppers, salsa (casa sanchez in case anyone was wondering), and brown rice (however instead of using water, I used chicken stock to flavor it up a little bit)

Plus you can add all kinds of other things if you don't like them so plain. Things like: black beans, corn, jalapeno peppers, onions, or even ff sour cream!

borracho
01-06-2007, 07:26 PM
has anyone tried doing this with ground turkey? this past semester i was living off of ground turkey/rice and chicken/rice....plus veggies.

squatdog
01-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Sounds good, I might give it a try.