PDA

View Full Version : A few Questions...

ArchAngel777
10-02-2006, 12:23 PM
1. Does anyone know a good source where I can read up on glycogen stores and what not? Not to savvy with the terms here, but I have read a lot of what Slim Shaedle and Holto have written and I am interested to learn more about it. I have some specific questions, but I think I should read up before I ask them.

2. I am currently cutting... So far so good, but I just want to verify with some people here. I have been eating about 8 servings of Ice Cream a week. This is typically done in one sitting and is a "cheat" meal. Is there anything wrong with this? Meaning, could this be negatively affect the cut in any huge way? I was using the Ice Cream as a refeed, but since I have been reading up on glycogen, I realized all of this Ice Cream (that much in one sitting) might be going straight to fat (after the liver fills up)!?!?!?

3. I hate eating tiny meals... My dinner meal is the largest and is generally around 800 calories and is sometimes around 1,000. But on average, I would say it is right around 800 most of the time. I know that Built has disepelled the theory of 6 versus 3 meals, but I was curious to know if the size of meals is ever a problem. Like, perhaps 800 calories is too much for one sitting? Just curious to know... I dunno about you guys, but my dinner is what I live for (not really) and I really don't like a 400 cal dinner... It leaves me wanting more. I generally eat around 2,400 a day right now, but sometimes I go down to 2,000 - depends on the day.

I have read most of the links (Read Built's Articles and Cutting Sig) and I hate creating a new topic for all this stuff. But, I never really seen these questions directly answered.

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I can answer #3: Eating many small meals is more of a comfort thing. For many people eating throughout the day helps fight off hunger. For bulkers, it's easier to eat throughout the day, instead of going "Oh ****!" and gorging at the end of the day. Personally, I prefer eating a large dinner as well. I eat about 5 meals a day, though.

Built
10-02-2006, 12:39 PM
1. Does anyone know a good source where I can read up on glycogen stores and what not? Not to savvy with the terms here, but I have read a lot of what Slim Shaedle and Holto have written and I am interested to learn more about it. I have some specific questions, but I think I should read up before I ask them.
Slim wrote me some helpful stuff for the current "Get Built" - and you said you read that. Did you read Eric's article on carbohydrates? Do you have a specific question that hasn't been addressed?

2. I am currently cutting... So far so good, but I just want to verify with some people here. I have been eating about 8 servings of Ice Cream a week. This is typically done in one sitting and is a "cheat" meal. Is there anything wrong with this? Meaning, could this be negatively affect the cut in any huge way? I was using the Ice Cream as a refeed, but since I have been reading up on glycogen, I realized all of this Ice Cream (that much in one sitting) might be going straight to fat (after the liver fills up)!?!?!?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. I hate eating tiny meals... My dinner meal is the largest and is generally around 800 calories and is sometimes around 1,000. But on average, I would say it is right around 800 most of the time. I know that Built has disepelled the theory of 6 versus 3 meals, but I was curious to know if the size of meals is ever a problem. Like, perhaps 800 calories is too much for one sitting? Just curious to know... I dunno about you guys, but my dinner is what I live for (not really) and I really don't like a 400 cal dinner... It leaves me wanting more. I generally eat around 2,400 a day right now, but sometimes I go down to 2,000 - depends on the day.

I have read most of the links (Read Built's Articles and Cutting Sig) and I hate creating a new topic for all this stuff. But, I never really seen these questions directly answered.

Is your current programme WORKING? If so, my money is on "leave it alone". :)

Unreal
10-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Alot of people seem to think they need to "refeed" or carb load. This is used if your doing something like UD2.0, PSMF or a low carb, glycogen depleteing diet/training. If you are still losing weight while eating 8 servings of icecream a week, then good. If you aren't then I would adjust that.

ArchAngel777
10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Do you have a specific question that hasn't been addressed?

Yes

1. The liver can hold aprox 150 grams of glucose. So, that is aprox 600 calories of either fructose or glucose or galactose. So if one were to deplete their glycogen stores, then one would have to eat over 600 calories of pure sugar to refill them. Under my understanding, unless the liver is filled to its max capacity of glycogen, then it will not store those calories as fat. Now, according to Slim, Fructose, Sucrose and Galactose favor fat storage as opposed to muscle glycogen storage once the liver is full. Meaning that most junk foods you eat have a great chance at being stored as fat as opposed to something like Maltodextrin, right? But that is only if you were to eat those after you refilled the stores in your liver.

This then moves into question 2... Or I should say that question 1 is based upon the answer of question 2.

2. What causes the liver to mobilize its own glycogen? Does hard exercise cause it to convert the stores to glucose? Or does the liver use that glycogen for something else?

The reason these two questions are somewhat important to me is because it would pretty much help me figure out when junk food will have the least desirable effect on me. I am only human and I love junk food (sometimes). So, if a candy bar did me more harm before a workout versus after, then at least I know the best timing for an unhealthy snack.

So, according to my limited understanding of this whole process is that if I were to exercise really hard and deplete glycogen, then the sugar in a few candy bars or ice cream would go straight to the liver first, then if I ate enough and filled it completely, the rest would go to fat (if it were pure fructose). Does this make sense?

Unreal
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/damage.htm

That should answer alot of what you just asked.

ArchAngel777
10-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Is it just me or does Berardi come down hard on anyone who eats junk food? Then he goes on to say in his other writings that as long as the diet is on 90%, everything else fails in place... I dunno, I see some double talk from him.

In this article he basically says to NEVER cheat. In another article he says it is perfectly acceptable to cheat. He said if you are eating 42 meals a week, only 37 need to be right on. Just having a hard time understanding what he is really saying.

Thanks for the link! BTW.

Con
10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Ive been readin there a couple days and ive learned quite a lot. Id suggest you make an account and search, read studies and adopt the pragmatic way of thinkin. Its helped me and I hope it does the same for you.

For your liver question, i was reading quite a lot do with that and heres the simple and basic answer. Calories rule and the other details generally get lost. Unless ur fructose levels are ridiculously high, then you prolly dont have much to wory about if u still under maintenance.

Btw, try and ignore the sarcasm, theres pure gold in terms on knowledge hidden in them forums. Have fun (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/)