PDA

View Full Version : my HIIT routine

trader vlad
10-02-2006, 05:09 PM
im 21 5'10" 195. my HIIT routine is 5 min warm up @ 3.5, then 1 min run @ 9, then 2 min @ 3.5, and 1 min run @ 9 x 10. this is on a treadmill. My hearbeat is at 175-180 when im running, goes as low as 135 after a minute of speed walking at 3.5. according to the chart at my gym 135 is in the low intensity fat burning zone, and the 175 is in the high intensity cardio mode i do this for about 40 mins. i am on a cutting phase right now. i do the routine 3 times a week, and lift in between. I drink a protein shake right after, and i usually HIIT 1st thing in the morning fasted. Thoughts, suggestions?

thanks

Anthony
10-02-2006, 05:16 PM
Ignore the fat burning zone, it doesn't exist.

Otherwise, looks decent, although 40 minutes of running on a treadmill would be boring. You could chop that down to 4 minutes with a Tabata version (20 seconds SPRINT, 10 seconds rest), but you couldn't do it on a treadmill since you can't actually sprint on a treadmill. But you could do it on a track/outside, you could do it on a bike (only some stationary bikes work), or you could do it with squats, thrusters, swimming etc.

But if you enjoy 40 minutes on the hamster wheel ... by all means!

trader vlad
10-02-2006, 05:21 PM
the tread mills in my gym have TV's with cable, i dont mind it. :)

thanks

ArchAngel777
10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Ignore the fat burning zone, it doesn't exist.

Otherwise, looks decent, although 40 minutes of running on a treadmill would be boring. You could chop that down to 4 minutes with a Tabata version (20 seconds SPRINT, 10 seconds rest), but you couldn't do it on a treadmill since you can't actually sprint on a treadmill. But you could do it on a track/outside, you could do it on a bike (only some stationary bikes work), or you could do it with squats, thrusters, swimming etc.

But if you enjoy 40 minutes on the hamster wheel ... by all means!

ROFL, dude... When I first read that, I was thinking 40 - 4 = 36 minutes... Then I was like "Who in the hell can do THAT for 36 minutes?"... LOL, hilarious...

ArchAngel777
10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
BTW, OP, I do the same type of thing... Over time, when you get more fit you can lower the rest period. When I started out 4 months ago, I was doing 10mph 1 minute runs with 4 minutes rest (I was out of shape). Now I am doing 1 minute runs with 30 second rests.

Today I did the following

2.0 Incline

Walk 3.8 mph (30 seconds)
Run 8 mph (1 minute)
Run 8 mph (1 minute)
Run 9 mph (1 minute)
Run 9 mph (1 minute)
Run 10 mph (1 minute)
Run 10 mph (1 minute)
Run 10 mph (1 minute)
Run 10 mph (1 minute)
Run 10 mph (1 minute)
Run 10 mph (1 minute)

It only ended up being 15 minutes, by my heart rate hit near maximum towards the last three minutes. Felt absolutely great (and gut wrenching).

manowar669
10-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Would it be possible to do HIIT on a stairmaster (4000PT)? I was thinking using the manual setting and doing my recovery on level 3-4 for an iterval, and maximum level for an interval, etc, etc. Anybody do this?

I just got the stairmaster (my fiance wanted it) and several hundred pounds of plates for $100 at an auction (the whole gym went out of business). I wanted the squat rack, which sold for $45, but I realized it was 6" taller than my gym room, so I had to let it go.:mad:

Anthony
10-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Some people have said they've done HIIT on a stairmaster, but the ones at my gym are a no go. Give it a try and see what happens.

trader vlad
10-03-2006, 10:14 AM
thanks all. my main concern was that maybe my intervals are too long.

manowar669
10-06-2006, 05:49 AM
Just for kicks, I ran over to a baseball field 2 blocks from my house and ran the bases as an HIIT workout. I wanted to try a Tabata-ish routine. I found I can run around the bases 1.5 times in 20 seconds (little league diamond), and jog back to home plate as my recovery, then go again. After 4 intervals, I only ran around the bases once for an interval, then recovered. I was whipped, and it only took me a few minutes. I haven't been on a baseball diamond in 20 years. I've gotten really slow over the years, but I plan on working on it. Give this a try as an HIIT routine. It'll kick your @$$.

Anthony
10-06-2006, 05:57 AM
That's a pretty cool idea. Something else you could try is run a base, jog the next, or run 2 bases, jog the next. Short intervals are awesome. Hmmm, may have to try this soon. :D

manowar669
10-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Anthony,
I've been reading your stuff over at crossfit, that's what gave me the idea.(BTW, good job on the MU, I'm looking into rings myself). I'm outfitting my own home gym right now, since I got the above mentioned stairmaster (more for the lady), and some weight (need more). I'm modeling it pretty much like a crossfit gym.

Isaac Wilkins
10-06-2006, 07:31 AM
I have used a stairmaster for interval cardio that is fairly intense, but HIIT would probably be a stretch unless you're very out of shape. I've cycled 1:00 minute @ Level 10 (4.5 floors/minute) and 1:00 minute @ Level 15 (6.5 floors/minute). Level 20 should be around 8-9 floors per minute which is trucking on a stairmaster.

ArchAngel777
10-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Just for kicks, I ran over to a baseball field 2 blocks from my house and ran the bases as an HIIT workout. I wanted to try a Tabata-ish routine. I found I can run around the bases 1.5 times in 20 seconds (little league diamond), and jog back to home plate as my recovery, then go again. After 4 intervals, I only ran around the bases once for an interval, then recovered. I was whipped, and it only took me a few minutes. I haven't been on a baseball diamond in 20 years. I've gotten really slow over the years, but I plan on working on it. Give this a try as an HIIT routine. It'll kick your @$$.

That is a good idea. Be sure to run the opposite way though at times. Running the bases counter clock-wise will give you some uneven leg workouts. Be sure to run them clock-wise as well. I am a freak when it comes to symmetry.

When I go to the track, I make sure I switch it up every workout. One day I run it one way, the other day I run it the other.