PDA

View Full Version : Should I bulk on my way to surgery???

Ruffian
10-04-2006, 12:19 PM
So, I finally psyched myself up for a small bulk.. I have an ingrained fear of gaining weight (woman thing) but finally convinced myself a small bulk would not be a bad thing. Especially when it is followed by a cut over the summer. Then I remembered that I am wholly unable to do anything good for my legs (no squats or deadlifts) because of my injury, and I still have have around 6 months to go for surgery..... SHould I bulk before this, even though I will probably make absolutely no progress on my legs and will probably just make them fatter? Or should I just continue recompositioning and bulk next year instead? Im sure it would make a difference in my upper body strength, but I have literally NO Fat up there anyways, Almost all of my 16% is in my legs and if I bulk im sure that 16 would jack up to a 22 or more... So I dunno if that would be beneficial to me, especially since the issue with my knee is strain on the knee cap (would the add. weight be a detriment?).

I wouldnt be thinking of doing much of a bulk... Probably up to 155 (im at 142 right now) and then cut back for the summer to a quality weight.

Built? Your probably my best bet on this... being a chick too and all. However, I really dunno if that will be making things worse or better for myself in the long run.

Ruffian
10-05-2006, 09:04 AM
no suggestions?

Eszekial
10-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Bulking right now, into surgery, and after surgery, is probably a stellar idea for you.

The repair processes of the body is highly calorie intensive. You want your body running at optimum efficiency which is not always the case during a cut.

I would definetley consider a slow, healthy bulk.

Anthony
10-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I would maintain until you're completely recovered.

Ruffian
10-05-2006, 09:23 AM
I would maintain until you're completely recovered.
Gotta love mixed reviews... Im assuming by this you mean just keep going where Iam at the moment. No bulk no cut?

ArchAngel777
10-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree with Anthony. I was going to write that this morning.

Anthony
10-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Gotta love mixed reviews... Im assuming by this you mean just keep going where Iam at the moment. No bulk no cut?

Yep, exactly. You can continue to improve your strength and body composition without bulking (clean food choices, lower the carbs, up the fat, etc). But overall I'm mostly concerned with an extra 15lbs your knee would be lugging around. Not to mention your activity level may be very low after surgery ... most likely resulting in muscle loss, probably no fat loss, and therefore a higher bf%.

Ruffian
10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Yep, exactly. You can continue to improve your strength and body composition without bulking (clean food choices, lower the carbs, up the fat, etc). But overall I'm mostly concerned with an extra 15lbs your knee would be lugging around. Not to mention your activity level may be very low after surgery ... most likely resulting in muscle loss, probably no fat loss, and therefore a higher bf%.
good point... I think ill take your advice on this one.. That was my very hesitancy.. I think my bulk will wait till next year. *Sigh* O well!

Thanks Anthony :D

Built
10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
I agree with Anthony - don't bulk, but like Eszekiel says - don't cut either: you'll need the raw materials to heal properly.

Relentless
10-05-2006, 07:00 PM
In your position I wouldn't be averse to running a minor caloric surplus over the next few months and focus on gaining upper body size and strength.

My thinking here is that having upcoming surgery is no reason not to do the most you can with WHAT you can. And that seems like upper body stuff.

Not allowing yourself to find excuses not to train is a key habit to develop. :)

Built
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Indeed, a mild surplus. But this could mean a net decrease in cals, since your activity level will be reduced. Watch the gains. If they're more than a couple pounds a month, pull 'er back.