PDA

View Full Version : New Member of the S&M club!

BroGain
10-05-2006, 02:39 AM
You know what I'm talking about, Squats and Milk!

Hey I have been lurking on this board for a little over a month now. I have learned so much from this board it is amazing. Stuff ranging from proper routines (compounds > pec deck) to proper nutrition (macros and the laws of the calorie!). Before reading this forum, I seriously had never done a deadlift in my life. I was also eating maybe 60g of protein a day. I weigh 160. I had been lifting weights off and on since sophmore year of highschool (21 now), and I never really made many gains. I would also do a ton of cardio all the time, mainly road biking, mountain biking and running. Now in the last month I have been eating about 1g/lb protein and much more food. I also lift a much more balanced workout (wbb1!). I have gained 5 pounds and have exploded in all of my lifts! I am so excited and happy by what I now know I can accomplish with my body that it is rediculous. I mean, why did PE and Health classes never make simple concepts sink in that people on this board post about day in and day out?

So with everything I have gained by simply lurking on the forum, I thought it was my turn to start contributing. I figured the best way to start out was to track my own progress and hopefully receive some feedback from all of yall knowledgeable people out there in my road to ripped'dom.

Onward to my current stats:
Male, 5'7", 161 pounds. 5 years wanna-be lifting experience, 1 month experience in the know :nod: . I would guess maybe around 15% bodyfat but I don't really have a clue. I will see if my gym does caliper testing.

Short Term Goal:
to bulk up to 180 or too much bodyfat, whichever comes first. Then cut.

Long Term Goal:
Eventually reach something in the range of 175-180#'s with possibly single digit body fat. I see that a lot of people change their minds about wanting to only bulk to sub-200 numbers, but I have been fairly skinny and tiny for so long that I can't even imagine being 200+.

Diet:
I am a vegetarian, so in the past copious amounts of protein have not naturally made their way into my diet. I have started taking a whey protein shake twice daily (adding about 60g protein), and consciously making an effort to include protein in every meal. So more food like tofo, random soy products that emulate meat, low fat cheeses, cottage cheese, and low fat milk. I have also begun to "clean" up my diet by eliminating processed junk food and restaurant food, and eat more whole foods and unprocessed vegetables.

What I have not done yet is start tracking my calories and macros. I have been meaning to start, but it looks to be a pain in the butt to start measuring and weighing everything I eat. No matter how painful it turns out to be, I will try to start fitday this weekend. I would like to eat no more than 500 calories over maintenence, or about a 1 pound gain a week. Hopefully with heavy lifting and a clean diet this will add mostly lbm, as I understand it.

Routine:
My current routine is WBB#1. I figured I have been missing out on doing lots of compound movements, so I should start from the ground up and see how it goes from there. My lifting schedule starts with day 1 on thursday.

My current lifts for some of the main exercises are:

Bench: 6 x 170 (when I started wbb1, I could barely do 8x135!)
Chin ups: 8 x bw
Deadlifts: 6 x 185 (prior to wbb1, my only lower back work was the back extension :p )
Squat: 6 x 185 (prior, I had done maybe 10 sets of squats over a 6 month peroid)

Alright, that is more than enough typing for now, but I will start to update my journal as the workouts and calories come in!
:clap:
-BroGain

BroGain
10-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Ok looking through other peoples' journals, I really liked ectx's setup and the method to identify gains (+W for increase in weight, and +R for increase in reps), so mine will be similar for the time being.

Thursday Workout - WBB#1 Day 1

Chest

Barbell Bench Press:
Warm up of barx8, and 95x8
145 x 8
175 x 6 (+5W)
I was barely able to get out that last rep of 175. But the weight is ever increasing so I'm happy :).

Low Incline Dumbbell Press:
50's x 8
60's x 5 (-1R)

Dips:
+50 x 8
+60 x 8 (+2R)

Back

Chin ups:
BW x 8
BW x 5.5 (-1R)

Deadlift:
175 x 8 (+10W)
195 x 6 (+10W)

Barbell Rows:
135 x 8 (+20W)
135 x 6 (+10W)
I am still figuring these ones out, so I'm not totally sure what weight I should be using. I'm not sure if my range of motion is large enough. Would a proper row really be this close to the bench and deadlifting amounts?

Shrugs:
95s x 10 (+10W)

Diet:
6 meals:
cottage cheese w/ 1 peach and 1 slice whole wheat toast
post workout whey protein shake
Tofu sandwhich and 1 apple
Tofu sandwhich, 1 apple, and a bag of chips
Bean, cheese and lettuce taco
soy protein shake (my whey protein powder has taurine and other stuff in it, so I don't drink them late at night)
Not sure of the calories and macros, but I will start fitday saturday! :clap:

Notes:
I was totally lacking energy going into my workout, and all the weights just felt so damn heavy. Normally I will get an energy rush when I start pumping the iron, but not today. I think my shoulder workout from saturday may have affected the chest workout. I felt like my shoulders just didn't want to help push the weight today. But other than that and my lack of ability to increase in the chin ups, all was good! I am still cautiously finding the limits of my deadlift, as I am able to add 5-10 pounds EACH week.

McIrish
10-06-2006, 09:50 AM
BG - hey man, welcome to the boards! I'm sure with this dedication you can make some serious gains in the coming months/years. Thats awesome that you're getting started. Just FYI, 500 cal over maintenance is 1lb/week, not 1lb/month, as your first post stated. Other than that, awesome work in here! Can't wait to see those deadlifts explode upwards.

Stumprrp
10-06-2006, 10:07 AM
looking foward to seeing your progress man, i honor you being a vegy, i cant go 1 week without a giant steak lol.

BroGain
10-06-2006, 09:54 PM
McIrish - Thanks for the welcome man! My bad, I meant 1 pound a week :p. Yea, I can't wait for the deadlifts to explode either :strong:

Stump - Hey I respect your choice to eat that steak so its all good! And dang dude, you are one crazy mofo lifter! Reading through part of your journal has inspired me to go into my session tomorrow and just dominate with some new PR's ;)

Today was supposed to be an off day, but I helped do some moving. Turned into moving heavy objects for over 3 hours. So much for giving my muscles a rest, hehe. It was awesome seeing how easily I was able to move big heavy furniture after all this deadliftin and stuff. Then looking through stump's journal I thought that everything I helped lift he probably could have lifted, solo, with one arm :cry:

Cardio
-30min moutain biking
Had a 10 minute warm up riding to my mountain, then a 10 minute ride up the hill, and a 10 minute "cool down" riding back through town. I would have gone further but my right calf was so tight I decided I better not push it. Maybe I should start some streching or yoga to compensate for tight lean body mass :p

Diet
5 meals
-cottage cheese, peach, and toast
-gatorade and a cliff bar (hey I was stuck with the moving for hours, had to eat something)
- whey shake
- veggie hots dogs w/ buns x 3
- spinach and cheese enchilada + beans

Hmm, my diet didn't quite turn out as planned. But the moving and then dinner out with the family isn't something that should be affecting my diet on a regular basis. And fitday tracking starts tomorrow!

Stumprrp
10-06-2006, 10:26 PM
hey dude, can you eat eggs? no huh.

BroGain
10-06-2006, 10:37 PM
naw no eggs

BroGain
10-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Saturday Workout - WBB#1 Day 2
Best Workout of My Life

This workout was seriously the best I have ever had. However lackluster my thursday workout was, this made up for it. I was tired all morning long, but as soon as I got to my workout, BAM! (to steal a line from Emeril). Jesus my posterier chain felt STRONG.

Bodyweight: 162 (+2 pounds from last week)

Legs

Squats:
Warm up of bar, then 115
165 x 8 (went up like buttah)
205 x 8 (+20W, +2R) wow
and then!
225 x 6 (+40w!!!)
My first 225 lift EVER! I decided to add an extra set to squats because I just felt so strong down in the hole on my last set. I try to do these ATF, and I think it is finally paying off. I also finally felt like the squat was a natural movement. I have found the perfect foot width, angle, and placement. All the practice with proper breathing, creating a proper "shelf" with the upper back, and imaging loading a spring as I go down all paid off BIG TIME! Screw all other lifts, the squat is now MY movement!

Hack Squat:
135 x 5 (-3r oops I fell off balance)
165 x 6 (+5w)
For however much I love the squat, I hate the hack squat. It just feels wrong going down and back up. Oh, maybe that's because it's so hard.

Leg Curl
55 per leg x 8 (+5w)
65 x 6 (+5w)

SL Deadlift:
165 x 8 (+10w)
195 x 6 (+20w!)
and then!
225 x 6 (+50w!!!)
My second 225 lift! All in one day! This 225 sldl was my first use of alternating grip though. I normally use double overhand, but on my 195 I almost lost the weight due to grip. But my back felt strong so I tried the grip and the weight literally felt like it lifted itself. So nice.

Standing Calf Raises:
345 x 10
360 x 10
390 x 10 (+15w)
435 x 10 (+45w, wow)
and then!
495 x 10 (+105w, lol)
Um, I still felt strong so I thought, hey why not try and go for the whole stack. And it worked. Dang, wasn't expecting that. I don't really know what happened, did someone inject steroids in my legs last night? Cause for the squats, last week when I did 175 I was barely able to get in that last rep. It's not like I was holding back at all. Maybe its just diet, exercise, and technique paying off? I wasn't too surprised by deadlifts, as it was really only my grip holding me back in the past. I think I can get another 20 pounds out of that. Come to think of it, I wanna try 245 on the squat, like right now. Aww man I wanna workout again and its 1am in the morning! I can't wait till monday, even if it is shoulder/arm day.

Cardio
I shot a game of disc golf with some friends, does that count as cardio? We did teams of 2, and my team shot 2 under pro par (par 3 for all holes). I think weight training is now significantly improving my disc golf game. Ahh the benefits of more strength and power.

Diet:
6 meals:
- cottage cheese and 1 peach
- protein shake
- bean, rice, and cheese nachos
- post w/o protein shake
- half a subway veggie sandwhich w/ veggie burger
- other half of sandwhich
I was out late with friends so I will figure out today's macros, tomorrow.
And I am starting to get burnt out on cottage cheese, eh. But who cares what food tastes like when I can finally say I have lifted 225 :). Night dudes.

kartwheel
10-08-2006, 08:56 AM
i am seriously impressed thus far. i couldn't imagine doing what i do and not eating chicken. god i love chicken.

my words of wisdom for you is to do everything you can to maintain your motivation. that has been the hardest ascpect of lifting for me: insperation & motivation. good luck. i'm going to subscribe to follow this.

BroGain
10-09-2006, 01:41 AM
kartwheel - thanks for the wisdom man. I am doing pretty good in the motivation department right now, but character is not tested in the good times, but in the difficult (as in when I am not blasting pr's by 40-50 #'s). As I mentioned in my intro post, I have been lifting off and on for about 4-5 years. What has really gotten me down in the past has been lack of progress. Now knowing what I know about proper training I think I will do really well with adapting and staying consistent. I will just have to be careful once the gains start slowing down :)

As for today:
I am not as sore today as I expected to be considering the new load my body experienced yesterday. My calf's are free of any signs of doms, and my thighs up through my neck are only slightly sore and tight. I am surprised that my abs are sore though. I guess squats and sldls really do work that core.

Cardio:
- 1.5 mile recovery run
This was mostly to get the blood flowing in the legs again. I felt surprising fresh, even if the muscle soreness somewhat limited my range of motion. Also, my darn calf muscles always tighten up way too much during cardio these days.

Diet:
6 meals
- protein and oatmeal shake
- salad and pasta
- cottage cheese w/ canned oranges
- protein shake
- baked tofu and steamed veggies w/ almonds & salsa
- 1 apple w/ walnuts and 8oz free milk
Ok still no fitday. Soon when I have more free time I will go through this painstaking operation of entering dozens of items into fitday.
I will close with a random food thought:
Tofu is like the ultimate diet buildingblock macro-wise. The extra-firm tofu I buy has exactly 8g of protein, 4g of monounsaturated fat, and 1g carb per serving. That exactly matches the 1g/pound of bw for protein and .5g/pound for fat. Just eat tofu for your bodyweight and then carbs to tailor to your caloric needs! (not that I am advocating this nor would ever try it. eww too much tofu)

BroGain
10-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Monday Workout - WBB#1 Day 3

Warm up:
1.3 mile warm up run to gym. I am very lucky to live so close!

Shoulders

Standing Military Press:
Warm up of barx10, and 65x8
95 x 10 (+2R)
115 x 6 (+10w)
Man that last rep of 115 was killer. I was shaking and it took me about 4-5 seconds to get it up.

Seated Dumbbell Press:
45's x 9 (+1R)
55's x 7 (+1R)

Standing Lateral Raise:
15's x 10 (+2R)
20's x 7 (+1R)

I wish dumbbells came in 2.5# increments, because I was stronger than last week, but not ready to bump up each side by 5#'s.

Triceps:

Narrow Bench Press:
135 x 8 (+2R)
155 x 6 (+20w)
Last week my narrow bp suffered because my shoulders were too fatigued to work with the weight. This week was much better. I can still feel that my tri's and chest can push more weight, but I just need my shoulders to be strong enough to do it.

Skullcrusher:
50 x 10
80 x 4 (+10w, -1R)
I went a lil too heavy, and my hands were sweaty making it really hard to work with the bar.

Biceps:

Barbell Curls:
40 x 10 (+2R)
45 x 8 (+5w, +2R)
Ok I switched from the straight bar to the EZ grip bar (I think that's what it's called?) and it put MUCH less stress on my forearms, allowing me to finally up the weight after 3-4 weeks. I felt my bi's could have done even more, but my wrists were in pain on the last 2 reps.

Hammer Curl:
35 x 5 (+5W, -1R)

Cool down:
1.3 mile run home

Diet:
5 meals:
- pancakes, veggie sausage, 2 cups 1% milk
- protein shake
- post w/o protein shake
- baked tofu, steamed veggies, almonds, salsa
- 1 apple, peanut butter, 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 meal yet to be eaten, likely will be 2% cottage cheese + canned oranges

Notes:
I might have to end my runs to the gym to work out. I leave so much in the weight room that I don't have much left for my legs to bring me home. Today was no exception.
EDIT for a random food thought:
If you are pressed for time and still want steamed veggies, Bird's Eye has a cool new frozen product called "steamfresh" veggies where you take the frozen bag and place the whole thing unpunctured in the microwave for 5 minutes. It is so simple and quick there is no excuse not to have some broccoli and carrots with that meal! Oh, and it tastes pretty good to boot.

kartwheel
10-10-2006, 07:47 AM
dude, that seems like a long ass workout to me. how long does that take you to accomplish (just the weights)? i guess i don't like spending more than 45 to 60 minutes in the gym. often i'm in and out in 35 min. i'm not the endurance type either.

BroGain
10-13-2006, 02:32 AM
kartwheel - the weights portion takes me about 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes. It doesn't feel excessively difficult to me, because bi's and tri's don't take a lot out of me (compared to squats and DL's, ouch).

Cardio:
AM 25 minute run. I normally lift wieghts at this time, but had less than 1/2 an hour, so waited till late evening to hit the iron.

Weights:

Warm up:
1.3 mile warm up run to gym.

Chest

Flat Bench Press:
155 x 8 (+10w)
185 x 3 (+10w, - 3R)

Incline Dumbbell Press:
50's x 10 (+2R)
60's x 7 (+5w)

Dips:
BW + 55 x 8 (+5w)
BW + 60 x 7 (-1R)

bench: I could have done 2 more on 185 bench, but I had no spotter and didn't want to risk a "situation" lol.
Db Press: I am finally feeling more in control of the db's, but they are still shakey.

Back:

Chin ups:
BW x 8
BW x 6 (+.5R)

Deadlift:
185 x 8 (+10w)
205 x 6 (+10w)

Barbell Rows:
135 x 8
135 x 6

Dumbbell Shrugs:
100's x 9 (+5w)

Chin ups: gaining reps on this is frusterating... I think i have been maxing out at 8 reps for about 4 weeks now.
Deadlift: still finding the limits of my strength here. More to come. First exercise to make me feel a little bit nauseous. Why am I stronger on SLDL than regular deadlift?
BB Rows: Still working on perfecting form.
DB Shrugs: grip strength is the weakest link, yet again. Maybe I should add some grip strength improving exercises in addition to just lifting heavy?

Diet:
6 meals:
- protein shake
- protein shake
- tofu sandwhich, apple, almonds.
- protein shake
- 1 slice pizza
- 2% cottage cheese with oranges

Notes:
- I think I might try and find a way to change shoulders/arms to thurs, and keep tues/weds as off days. I have way too much school those days to lift, and by thursday I am fried making it hard lift heavy in the gym.
- I also need to find a way to make sure i eat enough cals during those days of school, because I weighed in at 159.5 today at the gym, down from 162 on saturday. doh. Protein shakes are easy to whip together and easy to control macro %'s by ingredients, maybe I could just live off of these haha.

Random food thought of the day:
Some food infomercial products downright rock. Take the magic bullet for example. It is a lot simpler to clean and use than a blender, and is one of the main reasons I started regularly making whey shakes :). I am all about food products that make good eating easier!

BroGain
10-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Intense

Bodyweight: 162.4 (+.4 pounds from last week)

Legs

Squats:
45, 115 x 8
185 x 6 (+20w)
245 x 6 (+20w)

Hack Squat:
145 x 7 (+10w)
175 x 6 (+10w)

Leg Curl
55 per leg x 10 (+2r)
65 x 8 (+2r)

SL Deadlift:
175 x 8 (+10w)
245 x 6 (+20w)

Standing Calf Raises:
360 x 10 (+15w)
375 x 10 (+15w)
405 x 10 (+15w)
450 x 10 (+15w)
495 x 8 (-2r)

Well, I finally found my limit on the squat and sldl, and it is 245. And when I say the limit, i mean the freakin LIMIT! This was the most intense workout of my life. I think I might need a wheelchair now. Or at least a bed, lol. I may be pushing too hard. Not really much soreness, but yesterday post workout I was tired, too tired in fact to do my weekly disc golfing. And now today I am under the weather, and I took a 3 hour midday nap. Maybe I got sick, or maybe I am overtraining. Either way, I might take a week off from the gym to let my body recuperate.

BroGain
10-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Back in Business!

Cardio:
AM 10 minute run.
I did a 25 minute run on tuesday, and had some serious issues. Does heavy lifting make steady state endurance running impossible? If you have answers, help me out in this thread: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87230

Chest

Flat Bench Press:
155 x 8
185 x 5 (+2R) (+1 assisted rep)

Incline Dumbbell Press:
55's x 7 (+5w)
60's x 5

Dips:
BW + 50 x 8
BW + 60 x 6

bench: I had me a spotter today, and I was dead on about being able to do 5 @ 185.
Db Press: Less shakey, but I think the bench wore me out. Couldn't match last weeks effort on 60's.

Back:

Chin ups:
BW x 9 (+1R)
BW x 6

Deadlift:
185 x 8
225 x 6 (+20w)

Barbell Rows:
135 x 8
140 x 6 (+5w)

Dumbbell Shrugs:
100's x 8

Chin ups: bout time I had a rep increase. Even if it was only 1. I also found out that I might be doing pull-ups. I have been using palm-out. Which one is that? And which way is easier?
Deadlift: woot, first 225 on the normal deadlift! My form is starting to feel great on this exercise.
DB Shrugs: these were a little much for my grip today.

Diet:
6 meals:
- pancake, banana, milk
- protein shake
- indian food= rice, eggplant, spinach, and lentil dishses
- protein shake
- 2 slices pizza
- protein shake
- Might have some cottage cheese later before bed.

Notes:
It feels great to be back in the gym. Especially with increased weightage :). I did a semi-leg workout on saturday. Basically brought a friend who is new to the gym and did a lot of light compound work for all muscle groups. I did do some 225 squating and a knowledgeable dude there said my form was perfect, way below parallel. I just need to work on not pulling my head and neck back as I drive up. He said my SLDL form was great as well. Ahh, music to my ears!

BroGain
10-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Tired, But Completed

Bodyweight: 163.5 (+1 pound from 2 weeks ago)

Legs

Squats:
45, 115 x 8
190 x 8 (+5w)
245 x 8 (+2R)

Hack Squat:
155 x 8 (+10w)
185 x 6 (+10w)

Leg Curl:
55 per leg x 8
70 x 6 (+5w)

SL Deadlift:
185 x 6 (+10w)
255 x 6 (+10w)

Standing Calf Raises:
405 x 10
450 x 10
495 x 10

Notes:
I went into the gym today feeling sore, tired, and thinking the weight was too heavy, but I still managed to make gains in most of the lifts. My upper quad had a sore-pain feeling at the top of each squat rep, but still felt solid. Hack Squats are FINALLY coming to me, and I feel I can start to make some gains in that movement now. Legs curls felt better too. SLDL was a pain. I had no energy and had trouble getting it off the floor, but once up I repped it out. I think my form and muscle feel for all exercises is greatly improved from 1-2 months ago. Everyone else is noticing my gains as well. Everytime I see someone who I haven't seen in 3+ months, they comment on the improvement in my physique :)

deeder
10-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Workouts looking good! What's the (+2R), (+5W) stuff about?

BroGain
10-29-2006, 01:42 AM
Workouts looking good! What's the (+2R), (+5W) stuff about?

Thanks man. +R is for increase in reps since the previous week's set, and +w stands for increase in weight. I like to see exactly how much I am pushing it week by week.

BroGain
11-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Monday Workout - WBB#1 Day 3
Monday 10/30/06

Warm up:
1.3 mile warm up run to gym.

Shoulders

Standing Military Press:
Warm up: 45x10, 65x8
100 x 8 (+5w)
125 x 5 (+10w)

Seated Dumbbell Press:
50's x 8 (+5w)
60's x 5 (+5w)

Standing Lateral Raise:
20's x 8 (+5w)
20's x 5

Triceps:

Narrow Bench Press:
135 x 8
160 x 5 (+5w)

Cable Pressdown: (Darn you guy supersetting squats and skullcrushers!)
6 plates x 8
8 plates x 6

Skullcrusher:
70 x 6

Biceps:

Barbell Curls:
40 x 8
50 x 8 (+5w)

Hammer Curl:
35's x 4

Notes:
Ok so this was annoying, This dude was super setting squats and skullcrushers, but he would take like 5 min to do the combined sets. He would squat half way to parralel, then rest at the SC, and do a set and rest some more there. Then go back to squats. This went on for like 15-20 minutes. The upside is that I got to see that I am way stronger on cables then before wbb!

BroGain
11-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Terrible

Chest

Flat Bench Press:
155 x 8
180 x 5

Incline Dumbbell Press:
55's x 8 (+1R)
60's x 5

Dips:
BW + 50 x 5 (wtf? -5w, -3R from 2 weeks ago)
BW + 60 x 5
BW x 15

Notes:
Today's workout was pretty terrible. I felt weaker on the bench and DB presses, and then I just lost it on dips. I literally ran out of steam on the easier weight. I did have a pretty rough week though. I missed a night's sleep due to school work and a couple meals due to stress. By the time I was at dips, I realized there was no way I could do a full workout, so will wait until tomorrow to do the back work.

I checked the scale today at the gym, and I was down to 160.5! I am normally my lightest on thursday's weigh in, but this was lower than normal. Time to redouble my eating efforts.

I think I am almost ready for a new routine. I feel that I have reached a plateau for chest, and no longer look forward to working this muscle group. I plan to continue with wbb1 until I reach a plateau in one other major muscle group. As for my new routine, I am looking at trying out BGB and do that until sometime around Jan-Feb. Then if I have gained enough weight, I might try out some crossfit as we move into spring and into a cut.