PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get rid of that last little pudge

Questor
10-05-2006, 03:56 PM
3 months ago I was 195 all fat. I went through a cutting stage down to 148 and I've just switched over to bulking. Just one thing remains - a small amount of pudge on tummy right at the belt. It's more like a lump, it's too small to be a roll.

I am too into my workout now to cut any longer - i want to bulk! But I also want that last bit of pudge to GO AWAY.

During my cutting stage I was eating 900-1300 calories a day, with only trace amounts of fat. I was also jogging, jumping rope, and working out moderately each day. Around 155 lbs, I stopped jumping rope.

At 150 lbs I raised my caloric intake to a solid 1300. I was still loosing (got down as low as 148), and I needed to arrest that. I raised my caloric intake again to 1600-1800 and reintroduced non-trans fat, basically milk and cheese (for protein).

My weight climbed back to 150 and stabalized.

Now I am eating approx. 1800 cal, 80-90g of protein, and perhaps 20g fat (milk/cheese). Last night I dropped the daily jogging. I also seriously intensified my work out. I now have a arms / chest,side / legs split with two days off a week. On the leg day I plan on also doing aerobics - jogging, jumping rope, and jumping jacks.

My goals are lean muscle, lots of it. I still have this pudge to loose. I'm at around 1800 (not more than 2000 anyway) calories a day, no simple carbs, an intense hour of free weights nearly every day, and one day a week of aerobics.

Do you believe I will loose the remaining pudge, or have I switched too much towards bulking and it will stubbornly cling to me?

You're probably going to tell me I'm not taking in nearly enough calories anyway. :)

Coincidentally, I"m a 29 year old male 5'7" 150 lbs.

Hope I didn't ramble too much, I just thought there was a lot of back story and I really hate this remaining pudge. It's right at my belt - the last vestiges of what was once a mighty tummy. Eradicating it completely will be my complete victory!

Howard 9
10-05-2006, 04:39 PM
You can't lose fat in a specific area by doing something.
If you are bulking anyways, chances are your going to gain some fat along with muscle.

ShockBoxer
10-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Not a lot of people get their rippling six pack in the first cut (I don't think. Could be way off base). Maybe it's time for a little break... lift hard, gain 10 pounds, pray 9 of it isn't fat (you don't have a lot of power over that part...), and then take another run at things with extra muscle on your frame to help keep your calorie needs up and show off when you get there.

Built
10-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Your fats are far too low. Your calories are ridiculously low. You are exercising too much. This is NOT how you do a cut.

Please read the diet link in my sig.

ShockBoxer
10-05-2006, 05:02 PM
I will dispute the claims of calories too low (well, the 900 to 1300 certainly was). 1800 is pretty close to my maintenance level as well. I have to hit 15 or 1600 to make the scale go anywhere in any reasonable timeframe and it causes great anguish in anyone nearby because it drives me mad with hunger. Sadly, we can't all have the incredible metabolism of a young woman in her early 40s.

Questor, your protein intake makes baby Jesus cry. Buy some whey (or tuna). Eat the whey (or tuna). And replace 300 cals of whatever it is you are eating with 300 cals of peanuts if you're not allergic for some healthy fats.

Questor
10-05-2006, 05:12 PM
LOL and I think I'm eating a ton of protein. I'll keep pushing that up.

I'm surprised to hear that my fat intake is too low.

I'm not surprised to hear that my caloric intake is too low.

But funny thing is, you know, I wasn't ever hungry at 1300, and at 1800 I feel pretty full.

And how do you do a cut? Well I don't think I was too far off the mark. I lost 45 pounds in 3 months. I'd say that was a cut well done. Keep in mind I was a fat bastard, not a Built Weightlifter. Low caloric intake plus aerobics. Theromodynamics baby.

ShockBoxer
10-05-2006, 05:16 PM
I used to be the same way. I wasn't hungry if I skipped eating for an entire day because I was playing a game on the computer or something. Now I'm ravenous all the time even minutes after finishing a steak dinner out with my girlfriend.

Built
10-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Low calories/protein plus aerobics = muscle loss. Read Tony Gentilcore's protein (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86225) article that JUST went up. It'll show you why.

And I was fat for about 20 years before I figured out how to diet and train properly.

Cutting is caloric deficit plus heavy lifting. Read the red "diet" link in my sig.

LOL and I think I'm eating a ton of protein. I'll keep pushing that up.

I'm surprised to hear that my fat intake is too low.

I'm not surprised to hear that my caloric intake is too low.

But funny thing is, you know, I wasn't ever hungry at 1300, and at 1800 I feel pretty full.

And how do you do a cut? Well I don't think I was too far off the mark. I lost 45 pounds in 3 months. I'd say that was a cut well done. Keep in mind I was a fat bastard, not a Built Weightlifter. Low caloric intake plus aerobics. Theromodynamics baby.

ShockBoxer
10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
My first 20 pounds, done in two months, were lost by making a point of eating more than once a day and busting my ass at the gym every night... doing reps of 6 on every single machine in the place, upper and lower body, and then hitting the body track/eliptical for 40 minutes.

Looking back I shudder to think about how much of that weight was possibly lbm.

My next 20 were done here and my strength doubled while it was happening. Lifting heavy + caloric deficit = victory!

WBBIRL
10-05-2006, 06:00 PM
"Lifting heavy + caloric deficit = victory"

Close but not... Lifting heavy + caloric deficit+high protein consumption = victory

You also have to be very carefull on just how much of a defict your on, your body only wants to support a variable amount of decits depending upon fat stored without attacking your LBM. I say your calories are far too low. Drop the cardio.. you can get it done better in the kitchen. You dont have to exercise like a heathen.

ShockBoxer
10-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Very true about the protein, of course. Protein is life. :) I typically take in 150-200 grams a day.

And that article was very nice.

Questor
10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Low calories/protein plus aerobics = muscle loss

True, and if I had it all to do over again, I would do it differently. But back then I had no more muscle then I got from curling hostess cupcakes to my mouth while I sat on my ass all day. I didn't care about weight lifting - I just wanted to loose weight. Anything to loose weight.

In college I had been a weight lifter, and as I got into exercising again I got back into weight lifting. One of my hopes became to perserve some lbm as I finished my 'diet' (what I now call a cut).

Well I got hooked on it again. I was going to keep 'dieting' until I lost the last pudge - but now I'm too eager to gain weight again.

That's why I'm posting this. I'm transitioning to the type of diet WBB recommends, but I'm not doing it all together over night.

Last night I took my workout from just 'moderate weights' to 'full on'. I'm filled with excitement about the new direction.

My question is this last remainign pudge. I'm changing my direction before I'm altogether done with what I was doing. My question was: "Do you believe this pudge will go away anyway?"

At least one poster has replied to that question, and his/her advice was "well maybe not, but most people don't get ripped abs on their first cut".

That's puts things in perspective for me. After bulking a bit like you suggested, I may come back around here in a few months and do a cut the right way - and I'll read Built's article on it. :)

Oh btw ...

I typically take in 150-200 grams a day

Amazing, good grief. Wow. I'm pushing myself these days for 90 (and thats with a can of tuna each day). Starting tomorrow I'll eat two cans per day. LOL.

Lastly...

Drop the cardio.. you can get it done better in the kitchen.

I think that at least for the time being I won't. I honestly enjoy cardio. Though it's not my focus anymore, things would seem lacking without at least a day of cardio a week. Tomorrow will be my cardio, and I'm looking forward to it.

ShockBoxer
10-06-2006, 04:48 AM
It's not amazing... it's easy with whey. Here's my typical lift day (maintain/turtle slow bulk) currently.

ON Whey (4 scoops) 96 gram protein
Silk Soymilk (Choco) two 250 ml glasses, 12 g protein
Lunch (Untracked, 300-1000 cals) Whatever is in walking distance
Peanuts, Honey Roasted (1/2 cup) 17 grams of protein
Raisin Bran, Kellogg (1 cup / 55 grams) 6 grams protein
Hamburger Buns (Regular sized) 3 grams protein
Sobey's Extra Lean Non-Breaded Chicken Burgers (113 g) 20 grams protein

The soy milk is for fiber, healthy carbs, and sorely lacking vitamins and minerals. The raisin bran for the same reasons. The untracked lunch is because I'm lazy and like hot food (control the calories of what is known and what is unknown doesn't affect much). The bun is because the low fat chicken burger tastes unbearably bland without it (I find all chicken needs 'something').

That's 1682, which would be my base metabolic rate if I were normal, plus lunch which is closer to the thousand than the 300. I'm least hungry after the raisin bran (high fiber= satiaty) and the peanuts in the afternoon (high fat = satiaty). It, combined with my monsterous cheat meals once a week on date night, has moved me from a rock solid 157 to a fluctuating 159 in two weeks.

McIrish
10-06-2006, 11:12 AM
OP, you lost 47 lbs in three months? :eek: I think that might be a bit extreme... here's my advice. While transitioning into this bulk, try taking it a little slooooow at the beginning. My guess is that your metabolism is completely shot from being <1000 cals at all for any period of time more than a day, and if you try to bulk quickly now, you will put on gratuitous amounts of fat. Ease in slowly.

Built
10-06-2006, 11:42 AM
OP - please drop most of the cardio - walk 20 minutes a day for your heart, but you're just chewing through your lean mass, and it won't rip you up.

How is it you have so much trouble getting in protein? I get in close to 200 g a day without supplements.

Questor
10-06-2006, 12:16 PM
OP, you lost 47 lbs in three months? I think that might be a bit extreme...

That's 3 lbs a week, which is fast but not dangerous. Tell you the truth I lost almost 20 lbs right off the bat without hardly doing anything but dropping soda pop. The rest of it was hard.

My guess is that your metabolism is completely shot from being <1000 cals at all for any period of time more than a day, and if you try to bulk quickly now, you will put on gratuitous amounts of fat. Ease in slowly.

My thoughts exactly - I'm transitioning slowly.

OP - please drop most of the cardio - walk 20 minutes a day for your heart, but you're just chewing through your lean mass, and it won't rip you up.

Okay, I'll relent - but it's a sacrifice. I'll walk, but won't do anything more - LBM is too precious to me now. :( I had enjoyed cardio.

Coincidentally the pudge is still melting off and I"m gaining weight anyway. :) YAY.

How is it you have so much trouble getting in protein?

Because I've been eating like a bird for months, and I don't want to jump into a huge diet. ... That, and I can't stand protein drinks. I wish they made protein pills. I'll have to get over that though.

Tonight though I'm going to start doubling the amount of tuna I eat in a day. I may get 130g today.

Built
10-06-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't get my protein from drinks.

Daily, I eat a tub of cottage cheese and a few chicken breasts, plus a half a dozen egg whites.

Questor
10-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Daily, I eat a tub of cottage cheese and a few chicken breasts, plus a half a dozen egg whites.

I don't think I can afford that lol. ;)

Built
10-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Really? It's not THAT expensive!

Questor
10-06-2006, 12:34 PM
I have four kids, a wife, two cars, and a single small income.

Seriously though, I'll look into your suggestions. I don't know how much tuna I can stand!

RedSpikeyThing
10-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I have four kids, a wife, two cars, and a single small income.

Seriously though, I'll look into your suggestions. I don't know how much tuna I can stand!

Roast a whole chicken and eat it for as long as it lasts. They're cheap and have lots of protein.

Mr. D
10-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Cottage cheese can be had fairly cheap. Sams or walmart if u want to buy in bulk.

Kroger always has it on sale, heck this week until tuesday, the 16 oz size are 10 for 10 dollars.

Tom Thumb always has cottage cheese marked down because it is expiring in a day or 2 (0.75 off a 1.89 for 16 oz)

CC is one of the cheapest sources of protein there. One 16 oz tub has 52g of protein. For only a dollar and the satiety it provides not to mention the versatility, it cant be beat. Do a search on here and you will see all the different ways people eat their cottage cheese.

Last night before bed, I had 1 cup of CC with 1 small avocado, about 10g of shredded coconut and some sweetner added to it. It was pure bliss...

Questor
10-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Cool - http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c200E.html

I'll get some tonight.