PDA

View Full Version : Single joint accessory movements.

Clifford Gillmore
10-06-2006, 02:37 AM
No good?

Westsidemonster
10-06-2006, 03:19 AM
What do you mean? Explain

Clifford Gillmore
10-06-2006, 06:38 AM
Its simple, anyform of movement that recruits one, and one alone, joint to complete its ROM. Any of these types of movements that aid larger mutliple joint recruiting exercises, for example - a sqaut, I would like to be enlighted too - or even stated that I don't need to think about them.

Anthony
10-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Carry over from isolation to compound is practically zero.

Isaac Wilkins
10-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Carry over from isolation to compound is practically zero.

Other than cross-sectional strength. There is some strength gain from pure hypertrophy but in the short term it's not going to provide a ton of strength.

Single joint exercises have their place, but utilize them more for bringing up weak points and for agonist-antagonist balance movements.

Anthony
10-06-2006, 07:22 AM
I was thinking more in terms of movement patterns, based on a study that compared carryover from leg extension to squats. I just can't seem to find the study! :p

Isaac Wilkins
10-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah, it's not going to do anything for movement patterns. Remember what makes strength, though: Cross-sectional area + Motor Recruitment/firing/rate coding.

All other things being equal, the lifter with the most muscle mass will be stronger. Both are important, especially to powerlifters who only have to worry about their weight class rather than actual mobility.

drew
10-07-2006, 11:18 AM
If you're looking for maximal force development, single joint isolation exercises are worthless.

Westsidemonster
10-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Compound movements are always better than isolation movements...but if you want to be a sissy, go ahead and concentrate on isolation movements only, and let's see what happens...lol

laxguy1028
10-09-2006, 08:40 AM
If you're looking for maximal force development, single joint isolation exercises are worthless.
So does this mean that doing tricep pushdowns will add little to your tricep strength on bench?

Guido
10-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Certain single-joint movements can have value, but they should not be the primary focus of your workouts. Judicious use of auxillary movements can add variety and can help a bit with hypertrophy.

waynedang
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
So does this mean that doing tricep pushdowns will add little to your tricep strength on bench?

Pretty much.

I do some tricep ext movements but in the higher rep ranges (15-20) to help recovery. When I did more ext work my lock out was not great. When I increased my board work, close grip, and even weighted dips my lock out power made a huge jump. I am not saying single joint movements are bad they have their place. I just think compound movements are much better and should always be the primary exercise for any body part. I think this goes both for size and strength.

Wayne

drew
10-09-2006, 06:23 PM
What Wayne said. I basically only do tricep pushdowns (and curls) when my elbows are really hurting.

waynedang
10-09-2006, 07:36 PM
What Wayne said. I basically only do tricep pushdowns (and curls) when my elbows are really hurting.

Mine hurt all the time :bang: