PDA

View Full Version : Get Big and lose fat at the same time?

Manowar
10-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Is this possible? (of course hehe)

How could i accomplish this? I know to "get big" im supposed to be eating alot. However at the same time i want to burn that thin layer of fat that is covering my abs.

Also can anyone explain the how does fat gaining exactly work? If i eat something with high calories, but low grams of fat, does that mean i wont gain much weight from fat? Im confused about this stuff...

EDIT: Also what supplements im i supposed to be taking...

right now im just drinking mayoplex lite 1/2 serving in the morning and 1/2 serving at night after workout

ddegroff
10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Is it possible? Most likely no, or it's extremely hard to do.

Excess calories (fat/pro/carb) are turned into fat for later use (storage).

Fat doesn't make you fat.

TTT
10-07-2006, 03:33 PM
You can't get 'big' and lose fat at the same time.
You can, however, lose fat and build some muscle. You will notice this if you're just starting out. Once you've done this for awhile, though, you're going to need to start eating, or you won't see any size increases.

My suggestion would be not to worry about how many grams of fat, carbs or protein are in different things right now. Just eat a balanced diet (not junk food) and eat more than usual. If you start gaining too much fat, back off a bit. If the scale isn't going up at all, eat more.

By the way, don't try to weigh yourself every morning - and wonder why your weight is fluctuating. Weigh yourself once a week, or even once every two weeks, to get a general idea.

Manowar
10-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Any suggestions on what supplements to take?

How much protein should i be consuming? Im about 150 lbs right now 5'6 and slim. I have trained on and off for a year... im trying to take it more seriously now though.

ddegroff
10-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Whole food to start, then add in some whey protein and creatine.

Shoot for ~140 grams of protein.

Protein == 1g/lg of lean body mass
Fat == .5g/lb of lbm
Carbs == whatever is left

Track on fitday.com.

CrazyK
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't use the phrase "get big" but you can lose fat and gain some slight muscle mass. Have to be taking in enough protein and carbs though, while keeping under maintenince needs.

wnt2gitswoll
10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
you guys are failing to make the point that he can SLOW bulk and lose bodyfat throughout a period of time, you have to go on a slow and clean bulk though so be patient within a year youll prolly gain 15 lbs and youll look better

PettyFerrari
10-08-2006, 09:48 PM
you CAN "bulk" while taking lots of precautions to keep from gaining too much fat: i.e. carb cutoffs, cardio on off days, lots of protein and healthy fats. It's the method I prefer actually. If you find you're gaining a little bit of fat, you can take a week or two to cut back on carbs and ramp up the cardio to burn that little bit, and then go back to what you were doing before. This is basically the philosphy that Dante goes with, and it makes pretty good sense to me.